14 replies to this topic

#1 TheWaffleIron

TheWaffleIron

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in dusty-badlands-Texas

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:21 PM

So, my first encounter with this went terribly, terribly wrong, so this might be a LITTLE biased, but I think it's still worth noting so here goes:

I was playing a 2v2 against the computer, each faction had its own star system to build up their forces, and it was going pretty well, all the planets (with the exception of the flood/pirate base) were under my control, and had a fleet in the stars gravity well intercepting anything else. Suddenly, FLOOD - EVERYWHERE. They ransacked a few planets of mind which I re-conquered, as well as built up decent defenses around, yet still they appeared in numerous planets at once, not to mention this is in my own little isolated solar system which isn't linked to any enemy player planets where broadcasts should be able to reach. (Can't remember if rebels showed up to every enemy planet in the original game regardless of planet links though)

Now, I know that's the point of 'Infection', and its original predecessor, but the amount of flood in these raids AND the frequency was just too overwheming, even with maxed out tac slots with mac guns and hangers, plus a few ships, leading me to loose one planet after the other. Which made it even worse was I couldn't rebuild everything right away because I had lost some research stations and couldn't use previously accessed buildings and what not. For a good while it felt like I was battling a whole other faction of flood, that's how bad it was.

So, my suggestion is to cut the size of flood raids in half at least, and reduce the frequency by...well, a lot. Or, if that's unlikely, at least make 'infection' only able to affect planets that enemy broadcasts can reach. Flood pirates are bad enough, but having decent sized fleets just 'jumping' to every planet where ever, when ever they want takes the fun out of the game in my opinion. I tried combatting them, but in the end both me AND my robo counterpart lost by the scourge of the flood...come to think of it, I rarely recall seeing more than a few enemy faction ships...but yea, flood infection needs to be toned waayyyyy way down. I can't imagine how the Covenant factions could deal with it, the UNSC at least have nukes! :D
"It's the dude...just, the dude."

#2 rundown

rundown

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:43 PM

You can beat them. With Mines. place them around a cluster of mac guns and you planet and you can beat them with no losses. you do have to have a lot of them tho

anway the flood are ment to be hard aren't they

#3 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • Steam:Unikraken
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:57 PM

We're nerfing the Flood and infection research. Patch will be soon.
  • TheWaffleIron likes this

[10:46:02 PM] VDNKh: Piercing Lance
[10:46:11 PM] VDNKh: fitting name for the ship that just fucked me

"Unikraken can soothe any nasties."

#4 Faced

Faced

The Baddest of Bad, Plus a Modeller

• Mod Staff
  • -537 posts
  • Steam:Faced
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:03 AM

Welcome to real experience of the Halo Universe. In 1 game we had 600+ Flood ships ransack our system.
  • JasonAHawkins likes this

FacedKylee117_blue_0.png

#5 HTRK74JR

HTRK74JR

t(-_-)t

• Members
  • 585 posts
  • LocationUNSC Horizon

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:08 AM

Welcome to real experience of the Halo Universe. In 1 game we had 600+ Flood ships ransack our system.

was that the 10 ffa we had?
Spoiler

#6 Faced

Faced

• Mod Staff
  • -537 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:12 AM

was that the 10 ffa we had?

Yep, as soon as the 600+ flood appeared, everyone left basically
  • CanadaMan7 and TheWaffleIron like this

FacedKylee117_blue_0.png

#7 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • Steam:KhevaKins
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:25 AM

Just make it so they can only spawn on stars not in the middle of your system.
Spoiler

led203_crashed_0.pngled203.jpg

#8 Faced

Faced

• Mod Staff
  • -537 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:52 AM

I find it more realistic that they spawn on Flood bases because it is basically them acting dormant on a Forerunner world until someone researches Infection, and they "Awaken"

FacedKylee117_blue_0.png

#9 Burny007

Burny007

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:52 AM

Are you nerfing the main flood raid? I haven't had an issue with them, very easy to take out with a nuke or two. Then just assualt the pirate base. Easy done

But yeah those little buggers spawning in on your planets all over the place is pain in arse. So much micromanging to rescue the solar system from them. Especially once they capture a building, all the Sabres aim for the building and leave the ships alone leaving them to take over the place.

#10 TheWaffleIron

TheWaffleIron

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in dusty-badlands-Texas

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:25 PM

The Flood pirate raids are alright themselves, so long as they keep being clustered together, but the random spawns at your unprotected worlds just messed up the experience for me.
As for mines, to mine every world with as many as possible would be....quite demanding on resources to say the least.

Thank you Mod Gods
"It's the dude...just, the dude."

#11 psdt

psdt

Crewman

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • LocationNM

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

Glad to hear this will be nerfed. I personally think it ruins the game play a little bit. Don't get me wrong, i think that the flood should stay just as powerful as they already are, but having them randomly attack is a bit of a downer. On the plus side, the flood are frighteningly powerful, and the models look pretty flood ish

#12 CanadaMan7

CanadaMan7

Commander-in-Chief

• Administrators
  • 1,247 posts
  • LocationCharleston, SC

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:55 PM

Glad to hear this will be nerfed. I personally think it ruins the game play a little bit. Don't get me wrong, i think that the flood should stay just as powerful as they already are, but having them randomly attack is a bit of a downer.

Yeah, the random attacks in addition to the raids are kind of a bit much in retrospect. Patch addressing it should be out shortly.

yLM4TEk.png

#13 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • Steam:KhevaKins
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

Why not change the infection ability to insurgency and have insurrectionists attack instead. At least the smac would help against them.
Spoiler

led203_crashed_0.pngled203.jpg

#14 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • Steam:Unikraken
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:41 AM

Why not change the infection ability to insurgency and have insurrectionists attack instead. At least the smac would help against them.

Because this research will be in after the Covenant are in the mod as well. Innies don't attack Covenant randomly, outside of one story. The flood attack everyone and everything. Their hubris is insane.

[10:46:02 PM] VDNKh: Piercing Lance
[10:46:11 PM] VDNKh: fitting name for the ship that just fucked me

"Unikraken can soothe any nasties."

#15 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:33 AM

Because this research will be in after the Covenant are in the mod as well. Innies don't attack Covenant randomly, outside of one story. The flood attack everyone and everything. Their hubris is insane.

This. And it actually helps balance the UNSC against the Covvies
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users