18 replies to this topic

#1 Rocket1615

Rocket1615

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • LocationTurn around.

Posted 09 September 2014 - 02:46 PM

So. I was thinking, the two covenant fighter craft currently in the game are the T-27 Space Banshee and T-31 Seraph, in Halo lore, both are exactly that: Fighters. Neither of these craft are shown with anti-ship weaponry on board, or atleast, not enough to dent the Titanium-A plating the UNSC employ. Currently in game these two ships are employed as the fighter and bomber respectively. I personally believe that this is a misrepresentation of both vessels were an alternative exists:

Return the Seraph to the fighter role, and bring in the modified T-52 Phantom Gunboat as the Covenant bomber craft.

"WUT" I hear you cry, well, there is good reason for this. The T-27 is a poor fighter, not one to be mainly deployed en masse in battle. The T-31 as shown in the books, halo 2 and 3s cutscenes as well as (I think, off by memory :3) the visual guide: Is the Covenants main space superiority fighter.

Furthermore, the Covenant's space bomber craft could be argued to be canonically the Gunboat. During Reach's campaign (Yes I'm using Reach's story as a guide, don't judge me) when the Covenant decide that Anchor 9 doesn't need to be in one piece anymore, rather than using the T-31 to bomb the station, they instead call in X many phantom gunboats to do the job. The job of a bomber. The job of strike craft that assaults hostile vessels of a greater size.

But what about that majestic T-27 model? Well, I have three ideas in which the T-27 could be facilitated.

1. Have three main strike craft for the covenant's ships. You could have it so that the T-27 could be a lower cost fighter, but has lower health and damage to balance this (and maybe even more vessels per squadron), the T-31 could be the base fighter, with a medium: cost/damage/health(/squadron size). While the T-52 could be the base Bomber, yet with only one or two per squadron with increased health and damage per Gunboat (Because immersions :P).

2. Have the T-31 and T-52 be the main strike craft for the covenant vessels, with the T-27 relegated to planetary and shipyard based defences. A bit like the seraph for the UNSC.

3. This is my favourite idea: Have the T-31 and T-52 to be the main covenant fighter and bomber craft respectively for all of the covenant stations/ships... except the SDV Heavy Corvette. The SDV is known to have inbuilt facilities for the seraph and banshee, yet no real space in that hanger for the T-52. Furthermore, since the SDV has now become a light carrier (in my understanding), why not give it the "lighter" fighters?

TL;DR: Plz gib gunbot

• Demosthenes likes this

#2 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 03:35 PM

No comment on the Covenant right now.
  • Defender0 likes this
"Japan received freedom so hard it was atomizing." -VDNKh
Spoiler

#3 Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Necromancer Supreme, agig did 9/11 2015

• Authorized Playtester
  • 1,723 posts
  • Steam:Fleet Admiral agigabyte
  • LocationUNSC Skrubtester

Posted 09 September 2014 - 04:00 PM

don't judge me

*Judges You* 

• Rocket1615 likes this
WE WILL RIP THEIR SKULLS FROM THEIR SPINES, AND TOSS THEM AWAY, LAUGHIN'!

Oh, I know what the ladies like... -Sarge Johnson

God have mercy on whatever alien race discovers this forum long after the human race destroys itself -Crisiss

Quotes from anywhere
Spoiler
[/quote]

#4 Unleashed

Unleashed

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 68 posts
  • Steam:TheUnleashed69
  • LocationMiami,Florida

Posted 09 September 2014 - 04:03 PM

To Be Announced in an indefinite amount of time, but Soonâ„¢

The People made me do it.

#5 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 04:08 PM

To Be Announced in an indefinite amount of time, but Soonâ„¢

Yep. Welcome to a college semester hitting right in the middle of a redesign. ;-) Once I get several papers and a speech done I'll finish typing up a news post for here and Moddb.

• Unleashed likes this
Spoiler

#6 Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Fleet Admiral agigabyte

• Authorized Playtester
  • 1,723 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 05:20 PM

AN ERROR OCCURRED

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

God have mercy on whatever alien race discovers this forum long after the human race destroys itself -Crisiss

Quotes from anywhere
Spoiler
[/quote]

#7 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 06:15 PM

AN ERROR OCCURRED

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

Who me?

Spoiler

#8 Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Fleet Admiral agigabyte

• Authorized Playtester
  • 1,723 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 07:03 PM

No, Me. I kinda went through the polandball thread

Quotes from anywhere
Spoiler
[/quote]

#9 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 07:45 PM

No, Me. I kinda went through the polandball thread

32439701.jpg

Spoiler

#10 Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Fleet Admiral agigabyte

• Authorized Playtester
  • 1,723 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 07:52 PM

32439701.jpg

And this is relevant... How?

Quotes from anywhere
Spoiler
[/quote]

#11 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • Steam:SternuS
  • LocationItaly

Posted 10 September 2014 - 03:43 AM

Stop derailing, plox

To OP: A nice thought, but as you can see stuff is now more WIP than ever before (regarding the Covenant), so your suggestion might be taken in account in the future.

However, I'd like to see more explaiantions like this. Supported by lore-knowledge, polite and argumented.

c048b5cb018d634cb3a0d9bd3617eb50-d547q01

Peter Jackson, 27/07/2013: 1.08 am. A 20 hour day ... 15 years of Tolkien ... 771 days of shooting ...

"We would be fools to pursue the impossible simply because you believe the achievable is flawed" - Ugin

#12 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:22 AM

Stop derailing, plox

To OP: A nice thought, but as you can see stuff is now more WIP than ever before (regarding the Covenant), so your suggestion might be taken in account in the future.

However, I'd like to see more explaiantions like this. Supported by lore-knowledge, polite and argumented.

What I will say is that this is something that has been talked about. However, we are not at the point to say really anything about the Covenant. I as well agree with Sternus. 

Spoiler

#13 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:09 AM

Just to put this into consideration for the phantom gunship; in the level "long night of solace" in halo reach (where the phantom gunship idea is coming from) those things moved abyssmally slow, even when under direct fire. Now, this might have been a level mechanic to make it easier, except that they moved just as slow on legendary, so i personally doubt its just a game mechanic. I believe that this variant of the phantom is meant for almost nothing more that strikes against orbital stations, such as anchors and SMACs, and similar slow- or non-moving targets.

#14 Aunt Gruntie

Aunt Gruntie

Sterilized Food Nipples!

• Contributor
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 12:54 PM

Just to put this into consideration for the phantom gunship; in the level "long night of solace" in halo reach (where the phantom gunship idea is coming from) those things moved abyssmally slow, even when under direct fire. Now, this might have been a level mechanic to make it easier, except that they moved just as slow on legendary, so i personally doubt its just a game mechanic. I believe that this variant of the phantom is meant for almost nothing more that strikes against orbital stations, such as anchors and SMACs, and similar slow- or non-moving targets.

And yet they were the only threat that was actually posed to the station itself. The Seraphs and Banshees were there doing anti-fighter work.

Also my bet is the only real limiting factor on this would be art assets. Everything else would be easy peasy. But since there are only a few modelers and even fewer texture artists, I can reasonable assume that, unless that changes, we probably won't see Phantoms ingame.

Help me Sergeant I'm lost in Kurfluffle land!

#15 Rocket1615

Rocket1615

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • LocationTurn around.

Posted 10 September 2014 - 01:21 PM

And yet they were the only threat that was actually posed to the station itself. The Seraphs and Banshees were there doing anti-fighter work.

Also my bet is the only real limiting factor on this would be art assets. Everything else would be easy peasy. But since there are only a few modelers and even fewer texture artists, I can reasonable assume that, unless that changes, we probably won't see Phantoms ingame.

To further build on the first point, before the point defence grid came back online, (Actually thats a point, why didn't the savannah use it's PD guns or even archers?) the seraphs had some clear unopposed shots on Anchor 9, the UNSC Savannah and the shipyards, yet never take the shots.

#16 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 03:24 PM

a plasma torpedo is a plasma torpedo, that is always a threat to a UNSC station. the thing is that the phantom gunship is so slow that putting it into an active bomber role doesnt make much sense

#17 Demosthenes

Demosthenes

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:18 PM

a plasma torpedo is a plasma torpedo, that is always a threat to a UNSC station. the thing is that the phantom gunship is so slow that putting it into an active bomber role doesnt make much sense

I think they're slow so they can be strafed easily in game.  In this clip

Spoiler
if you look at 0:27 there's a Phantom shooting down a Longsword.  Perhaps it's a different version, but I think it's a safer bet that the Phantom gunboats were only slow in Reach for gameplay reasons.  Every other time we see Phantoms they move quickly.

• Rocket1615 likes this

#18 Battle8111

Battle8111

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 78 posts
  • Steam:[E-D-G] Battle8111
  • LocationMerica'

Posted 13 September 2014 - 10:20 AM

Hey man, the T-27 is not THAT bad, *sees one explode from one auto-cannon shot", never mind.

A Phantom Gunboat/bomber seems cool. But I think the Seraph is totally capable of being a bomber too if given the ability to use plasma torpedoes. 

Posted Image
"Only the dead seen the end of the war." -Plato

#19 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 13 September 2014 - 11:07 AM

I think they're slow so they can be strafed easily in game.  In this clip

Spoiler
if you look at 0:27 there's a Phantom shooting down a Longsword.  Perhaps it's a different version, but I think it's a safer bet that the Phantom gunboats were only slow in Reach for gameplay reasons.  Every other time we see Phantoms they move quickly.

My assumption canon-wise is they drained engine power for the frontal shield.

Hey man, the T-27 is not THAT bad, *sees one explode from one auto-cannon shot", never mind.

A Phantom Gunboat/bomber seems cool. But I think the Seraph is totally capable of being a bomber too if given the ability to use plasma torpedoes.

The Space Banshee is the TIE Fighter of Halo. Extremely agile, mass produced, no armor, good armanent. It's also running up against a high-tech top secret orbital defense space superiority fighter...

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear - Marcus Aurelius

Spoiler

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users