친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • Steam:Unikraken
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 10 October 2014 - 12:36 AM

204880_2014-09-16_00004.png

Q&A October 2014

So, for those of you that may find the mod through this very post, let's start with the biggest question: What the hell is this?

Sins of the Prophets is an award winning total conversion mod for the RTS game Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion based on the Halo universe of Xbox fame. The mod features the human United Nations Space Command and the alien hegemony The Covenant, along with some Forerunner flair here and there. Gameplay focuses on fast paced fleet combat utilizing sophisticated tactics and long term strategy to beat your opponent or survive invasions from the parasitic Flood. SotP battles have often been called devastating slugfests with decisive ends. If you've found that Sins of a Solar Empire may be too slow for you this is your mod!

The mod is available at: Moddb.com for free and the game SoaSE Rebellion is available on Steam: Store.steampowered.com. While the DLC is not necessary, it is supported by the mod and you are missing out on interesting gameplay by not getting it.

Q: Why are release cycles so slow and when will we see the next release?

A: Releases are so far apart for two reasons. First of all, we are all working professionals or college students and our time is incredibly limited, so change comes slowly. Secondly, with each release we find flaws in our gameplay that we want to adjust and it generally requires us to shift everything in the mod to do so. With the latest release we discovered some glaring issues in the balance that affects every ship in some small way, so we're having to just that, make adjustments to every ship in the mod. So, lots of changes with little time to do them stretches out the release schedules. We'd like another release out before ModDB's Mod of the Year contest, hopefully with some more ships updated and textured. We'll see if time permits that.

Infinity1.png  hqrj.jpg

Q: Will you bring back the Eion?

A: Yes. It's replaced the Athens in the current dev build.

Q: Is the Infinity coming? When? Will it have deployable Stridents?

A: The Infinity is coming eventually. As of late the artist working on texturing the model is very busy with the real world, so we've not seen much since we updated you last. When we have something to show off keep your eyes on our ModDB profile and Facebook page. It will have the frigates when that ship is textured as well.

csd.jpg

Q: What's up with the Covenant titan? It's kinda small and odd looking.

A: The Covenant titan is the Battleship (or Super-destroyer depending on if you have a first edition copy of the comic it was in) from the Second Battle of Harvest. The model itself currently in-game is a placeholder that will be replaced when we have the right model textured. However, the ship itself is not huge. Size doesn't always relate to power.

Q: Will you add the Covenant Supercarrier from Halo Reach?

A: No. If you Google "Covenant Supercarrier Sins of the Prophets" you'll probably find very elaborate explanations that we've given in the past for why we're making that decision. Suffice it to say that the ship doesn't fit our vision for the mod and is an eyesore in the Halo universe.

Q: The Covenant doesn't seem as finished as the UNSC, why is that?

A: Because it's not. We started with the human faction and there's still a lot of work to do on the Covenant. There is still a lot of work to do for both factions, but we'll get there.

Q: Do you plan on putting High Charity into the game?

A: Yes we do. The current Covenant starbase is a placeholder for something more like the Unyielding Hierophant from Halo: First Strike. The current plan is to have the Covenant homeworld be High Charity. More on that later.

ForerunnerDreadFront_zpse153f841.PNG  jl3k.jpg

Q: Will the Halo rings and shield worlds have an actual purpose?

A: The shield worlds already have a purpose, they're fortress worlds usually with amazing benefits. Halo installations are a much harder thing to nail down. We're not comfortable with making them super weapons. There is a lot more going to be done when we have a few more Forerunner things modeled and textured, but that takes time and manpower we don't currently have.

Q: Will the Forerunners still be a faction? How will they work?

A: A lot of what the Forerunners will be hinges on the final balance between UNSC and Covenant, so we can't say exactly how they'll work yet. However, something to keep in mind is that this faction is being called the "Forerunner Remnant" and they will be a shadow of their former glory. Not many Forerunners themselves survive and much of their force is going to be some variation of sentinel along with large command and control ships.

nwBCRYK.jpg

Q: The Flood always seem to wreck my games, what can I do?

A: Turn them off in Game Options before you start the match. "Flood Inactive" is the recommended setting for playing a standard game of SotP. Flood stunt the performance of faction AIs severely. Flood planets may still exist, but they won't be actively hunting for prey.

Q: Why won't the Flood be a faction?

A: Because we don't want it to be. Right now we're completely focused on the UNSC vs Covenant gameplay. However, even when we finish that and move to the Forerunner expansion the Flood will stay as they are. Keeping them in the AI-controlled pirate role gives us a ton of flexibility we wouldn't otherwise have. It's a conscious design decision and we're sticking to it.

Q: I don't have many friends, but I want to play some games with humans. Any help?

A: You could try making friends at our forums, Steam Group, or Facebook page.

Q: How can I help out the mod?

A: We need experienced modelers and texture artists, as well as people who have experience making particle effects in SoaSE. If you can't do any of that, tell others about the mod and participate in our community events and polls.

If we didn't answer your question above, feel free to ask below and a staff member will try to respond in a timely manner.

• CoSSpartan058, Moustachio86, SternuS and 4 others like this

[10:46:02 PM] VDNKh: Piercing Lance
[10:46:11 PM] VDNKh: fitting name for the ship that just fucked me

"Unikraken can soothe any nasties."

#2 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 10 October 2014 - 12:38 AM

ModDB version is awaiting admin authorization, so you forum goers get to read this early!

#3 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • Steam:SternuS
  • LocationItaly

Posted 10 October 2014 - 02:30 AM

"No. If you Google "Covenant Supercarrier Sins of the Prophets" you'll probably find very elaborate explanations that we've given in the past for why we're making that decision."

"It's a solid 29 kilometers of never-getting-in-this-goddamn-mod."

May I pose a Q? Why has the Eion replaced the Athens? Not that I dislike it, but I just wondered why since they fit the same purpose.

c048b5cb018d634cb3a0d9bd3617eb50-d547q01

Peter Jackson, 27/07/2013: 1.08 am. A 20 hour day ... 15 years of Tolkien ... 771 days of shooting ...

"We would be fools to pursue the impossible simply because you believe the achievable is flawed" - Ugin

#4 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 10 October 2014 - 05:56 AM

May I pose a Q? Why has the Eion replaced the Athens? Not that I dislike it, but I just wondered why since they fit the same purpose.

I'll be honest and say that I put up a little fight about it, because I like the Athens more than the Eion, but the balance team felt since the Athens was an older ship it would fall into retirement first. It's becoming an Innie ship now, so harder planets will have a minor capital ship.

• Unleashed likes this

#5 haseo yashimora

haseo yashimora

Petty Officer Second Class

• Banned
  • 323 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 10:00 AM

i will miss the athens :(

but ty for this Q&A answered my questions lol

• Unleashed and Mrripley9 like this

#6 Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Necromancer Supreme, agig did 9/11 2015

• Authorized Playtester
  • 1,723 posts
  • Steam:Fleet Admiral agigabyte
  • LocationUNSC Skrubtester

Posted 10 October 2014 - 10:56 AM

I miss the Athens as well.
  • Unleashed likes this
WE WILL RIP THEIR SKULLS FROM THEIR SPINES, AND TOSS THEM AWAY, LAUGHIN'!

Oh, I know what the ladies like... -Sarge Johnson

God have mercy on whatever alien race discovers this forum long after the human race destroys itself -Crisiss

Quotes from anywhere
Spoiler
[/quote]

#7 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 11:23 AM

I will copy past my response to a similar question on moddb.

To give Uni a bit of a break, we have redone the way the both factions function. I must say however that they overall feel that you get from both factions will remain the same. The UNSC no longer rely on the number of MACs that each ship has. For example we’ll take the Eion and the Athens as they were part of your question. Under the old balance the Athens had two MACs, as such she was inherently better than the Eion. Under our new system, the number of MACs is not as important. As such we felt it would be better if we placed the ship that is far newer in canon in the UNSC fleet and moved the Athens, which is the older ship, into the militia.

• SternuS and Unleashed like this
"Japan received freedom so hard it was atomizing." -VDNKh
Spoiler

#8 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 10 October 2014 - 12:44 PM

I'll be honest and say that I put up a little fight about it, because I like the Athens more than the Eion, but the balance team felt since the Athens was an older ship it would fall into retirement first. It's becoming an Innie ship now, so harder planets will have a minor capital ship.

Eh, not totally a fan either. I like the Althens way more than the Eion. But, whatevs...
  • Defender0, Unleashed and Mrripley9 like this
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#9 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 10 October 2014 - 01:42 PM

I will copy past my response to a similar question on moddb.

To give Uni a bit of a break, we have redone the way the both factions function. I must say however that they overall feel that you get from both factions will remain the same. The UNSC no longer rely on the number of MACs that each ship has. For example we’ll take the Eion and the Athens as they were part of your question. Under the old balance the Athens had two MACs, as such she was inherently better than the Eion. Under our new system, the number of MACs is not as important. As such we felt it would be better if we placed the ship that is far newer in canon in the UNSC fleet and moved the Athens, which is the older ship, into the militia.

Can you message me the specifics on the MAC number statement?

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear - Marcus Aurelius

Spoiler

Spoiler

#10 Unleashed

Unleashed

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 68 posts
  • Steam:TheUnleashed69
  • LocationMiami,Florida

Posted 10 October 2014 - 05:10 PM

Hmm I see militia putting up stronger skirmishes now, and the Athens is a beautiful ship so now ill feel bad putting down the insurrectionists :(

The People made me do it.

#11 Demosthenes

Demosthenes

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 05:18 PM

What is the future of UNSC shielding and strike craft?  Any news on Covenant structures?  

#12 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 10:23 AM

What is the future of UNSC shielding and strike craft?  Any news on Covenant structures?  

The UNSC will be getting a research that will allow their capital ship yard to "refit" their capitals with shields. This is a late tier research that is expensive and takes a very long time to complete.  For covenant structures we are currently waiting on the art assets. What we have been working on currently is a new (yet similar) design and balance. The ships will work in the ways that you can recognize, but they will have appropriate abilities, hull points, and damage to their roles. Research is being overhauled and strike-craft will be as well. The Covenant will be getting the same treatment following the semester when Rovert gets back and is ready to work on abilities. Once we have a presentable build you will likely see an announcement regarding a live stream in which we will show off the internal build and you will be able to ask us questions live about the mod.

• WarthogRacingMan3, Unleashed, Demosthenes and 1 other like this
Spoiler

#13 CoSSpartan058

CoSSpartan058

Original Badass

• Contributor
  • 241 posts
  • LocationONI Facility, Reach

Posted 13 October 2014 - 08:23 PM

I will miss the Athens too, that was the ship I voiced :(

Posted Image

#14 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 13 October 2014 - 09:55 PM

I will miss the Athens too, that was the ship I voiced :(

It still exists and can be captured by the UNSC.

#15 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 13 October 2014 - 09:56 PM

So to be totally clear, I really need your help guys on these shots. Torrent fraps or something and help me out, please.

#16 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 13 October 2014 - 11:43 PM

So to be totally clear, I really need your help guys on these shots. Torrent fraps or something and help me out, please.

I think you put this in the wrong thread

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear - Marcus Aurelius

Spoiler

Spoiler

#17 Drewlew

Drewlew

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 11:45 PM

Have to say, It's a bittersweet moment for me. I was looking at adding the Eion to my personal modd as I love it so much, but also I do love the Athens and think she's a beautiful ship. will the Eion get a strike craft boost? 

#18 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 07:24 AM

Have to say, It's a bittersweet moment for me. I was looking at adding the Eion to my personal modd as I love it so much, but also I do love the Athens and think she's a beautiful ship. will the Eion get a strike craft boost?

As I said earlier we have adjusted the stats of all the ships in or rebalance/redesign. That includes the Eion.
Spoiler

#19 Demosthenes

Demosthenes

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 01:11 PM

Next we're going to implement the Sahara-class Prowler, if we can get a good model of her and have someone texture her. If that goes well and we can figure out uses for a stealth cruiser that fit within the lore and increase gameplay we'll consider it. The Sahara will be hard enough to balance as it is. Have to be very careful at this point.

The ships that you see now are pretty much set for the UNSC save for the Sahara class Prowler, the Infinity, and the Strident class. The Sahara will be a capital to allow us better control over its use, the Infinity will be the UNSC Titan, and the Stridents will be frigates that can be called in from Infinity. 

Any news on the Sahara class?  I know there's still no texture, just curious if its role has been determined.  I don't know how much there's been in the way of suggestions about it.  

#20 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 15 October 2014 - 03:49 PM

Any news on the Sahara class?  I know there's still no texture, just curious if its role has been determined.  I don't know how much there's been in the way of suggestions about it.  

It'll be a glass cannon capital ship with nifty abilities to help slow down your enemy's advance and reduce it's capability to project forces.

• Unleashed likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users