• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 wolfie615

wolfie615

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Steam:http://steamcommunity.com/id/kodasa_sinclair/
  • LocationA magical place with magical charms.

Posted 21 October 2014 - 07:31 AM

So, was thinking about it and I have a few ideas...

First off, as most people are aware, Sins has two sub-factions per race in its vanilla state. An interesting idea (Although perhaps stretching the canon a little) Would be to have sub-factions led by specific UNSC hero's from within the lore. Ones that would make sense though. Such as:

- Fleet Admiral Terrance Hood: Commander of the UNSC Home fleet. As a sub faction, Hood would gain special defensive bonuses specific to his faction. Such as slightly increased armor, damage and range on SMAC platforms, cheaper and more effective bombardment defenses, and a series of bonuses to ships fighting inside of friendly gravity wells. Perhaps even the unique ability to mount AAA Helix cannons onto his SMAC platforms, affording them some defense against the inevitable strike craft waves (obviously these would be balanced and not quite as strong as AAA Helix cannons on say... An Anchor station.)

Hoods faction would not be too dissimilar to the TEC loyalists in the sense that he focuses on defenses. Possibly allowing for better coordination and efficiency relating to home defenses. He would be as capable militarily as any other commander, however he would be better effective at turtle-ing up. Planets under his control could also gain bonus health and population as well as increased tactical slots to represent his defensive nature.

- Carl "Buster" Patterson (See: http://halo.wikia.co.../Carl_Patterson ): I initially wanted to suggest Admiral Cole for this role as I am trying to stick with some more well known admirals, but on thinking about it Patterson fits a little better. Patterson would essentially fill the role of the TEC rebellion. Believing in full on frontal assaults and taking the fight to the covenant. With that in mind he would have access to research and bonuses geared towards the offensive side of the conflict.

Such as increased thruster speeds allowing his ships to close the gaps faster, shorter reload times for all weapons (including shiva warheads) increased damage for all weapons. The downside to this steamroller movement of his is that he doesn't take particularly good care of the colonies he owns (They're not in disrepair or anything but they're not as well defended like say... Earth or Reach) With that in mind his planets might suffer from reduced population and a higher under-development loss rate, or reduced tactical slots. However he would have an increase in ship production also. As well as perhaps, a change to his starbase rules, making them follow rules similar to the Vanilla Sins Super weapons. Allowing him to place down one for every 3 planets he owns (in vanilla it is every 4 planets and if you're the TEC loyalists with Novalith Deregulation it is every 2 planets you own)

This would not necessarily break his defensive abilities, but it would highlight his offensive capabilities, as well as making it so that choosing him may constitute you steam rolling things, but you have to be tactical about how you place down defenses in case the steam roller hits a wall. Scouts would likely also have slower movement or less use in his faction as according to his lore, he chose to blunder in head first, instead of scouting first. I also imagine that to represent hastily set up colonies, a feature along the lines of a "Slow start" could be implemented, where for say... 5 minutes following the immediate colonization of a planet, resource extraction from that planet is halved, picking up again when the 5 minutes is over.

- ONI Liaison Dr. Halsey/Cortana: The ONI Faction would have the experimental technologies, naturally. Such as specialized scouting vessels (ONI Prowler instead of sloop) which would have abilities other scouts did not such as timed explosives, remote sensors (Things of this nature, using vanilla skills as place holders). Or possibly even active camouflage. The larger ships would be fit with energy shielding, at the cost of increased mass, reduced hull and armor, and perhaps reduced speed and turn rate, so as to represent the loss of power produced by the shield generators. All strike craft would be replaced by Sabres regardless of the ship they were mounted on. Oni would also have access to specialized infiltration teams.

I noticed that in SOTP, the planetary bombardment (for the UNSC at least) isn't so much a bombardment as an invasion, the ships fire drop pods (And have abilities to bolster troop numbers on the ground aka "Boots on the ground". If this is the case, and feel free to correct me if I am wrong. Then ONI would have access to some special abilities that aided in colonization, increased the speed of research, decreased the costs of research (Perhaps).

I think ONI would also have access to some specialized AI upgrades that the other UNSC factions do not gain. Such as installing a second AI into a ship. The effects of which would change based on the ship. For example, on a Thermopylae Super Carrier, one AI would focus on running the ship as normal (Movement, shielding, weapons etc.) the Second AI could then focus purely on improving the efficiency of the ships Strike Crafts, allowing them access to things such as the "Evasive maneuvers" ability, with which they would have a chance to dodge incoming fire or perform maneuvers that allowed them to get into more favorable firing positions (Similar to what F22 Raptor pilots can do when they use the vectored thrust to make insane turns and such.)

ONI would also have access to prototype designs, Perhaps a prototype ship fielding a new MAC design. The gun is powerful enough to obliterate every non capital covenant ship and several of the more basic capital ships even while it is shielded. However, firing the cannon would cause the systems on board the ship that require energy to shut down for 15 seconds after firing (Sub-light engines disabled, Shields removed 100%, Shield recharge disabled, MAC cannons disabled, Abilities Disabled) This would mean the ship is vulnerable after firing a shot, but it can still fight back with archer pods and helix cannons while it recharges. The ship could possibly come back online in stages. Such as:

Zero moment (instant of firing experimental MAC round)

- Abilities disabled: 15 seconds

- MACs Disabled (The regular sized MAC guns all UNSC ships are fitted with): 15 seconds

- Shields removed:100% Shield recharge disabled: 10 seconds

- Sub-light thrusters Disabled: 5 seconds

This would mean that the ship comes online in several stages, which would be really cool. After 5 seconds, power is routed back into the engines, allowing it to move about again, after 10 seconds it will start recharging all shields again, now it can move and has better shielding, and then at 15 seconds it will be able to use abilities and fire the regular MAC guns again. The time value of 15 seconds is a place holder, it could be changed, although to be longer would be more balanced.

Final idea isn't exactly faction related, but ties into the ONI super ship I mentioned above. In that, a ship of a similar concept, would be an awesome titan class ship for the UNSC. The SMAC gun built into it that drains all of the ships power, would be an ability, with a much greater range than that of the regular MAC guns. Think... Snipe, from the TEC rebellion titan, only a little more costly to use.

That concludes my faction ideas for the UNSC. Sorry for text wall. Will add something for the covenant when I figure out exactly how I would like to do this sort of thing for them.

• SternuS likes this

"We're talking about moving objects from point "A" to point "C" by way of point "B". Point "B" being a fold in the space-time continuum."

#2 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • Steam:SternuS
  • LocationItaly

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:26 AM

Like because active suggestions and well written/few syntax errors.

As far as I know, the UNSC will get a secondary research tree you can pick, ONI related, that should act like the Rebellion faction for the vanilla sins in the meaning that it will grant different options instead of the basic tech tree. However, there won't be a "rebellion" faction; the UNSC will stay the UNSC.

UNSC's Titan is about to be the Infinity, and it will be it's only Titan ("only"...as if it wasn't enough).

Awaiting Mod specific and more correct answer.

P.S. Before venturing in that early-alpha-version that currently is the Covenant faction, bear in mind: there won't be a Supercarrier in this mod. Don't even mention it, for your own sake.

• wolfie615 likes this

c048b5cb018d634cb3a0d9bd3617eb50-d547q01

Peter Jackson, 27/07/2013: 1.08 am. A 20 hour day ... 15 years of Tolkien ... 771 days of shooting ...

"We would be fools to pursue the impossible simply because you believe the achievable is flawed" - Ugin

#3 wolfie615

wolfie615

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:58 AM

SternuS, on 22 Oct 2014 - 05:26 AM, said:

P.S. Before venturing in that early-alpha-version that currently is the Covenant faction, bear in mind: there won't be a Supercarrier in this mod. Don't even mention it, for your own sake.

I may be a new member but trust me when I say, I've read some other threads. I've seen the reaction when people mention the Plot Device. I did intentionally type the words plot device :P

I wouldn't dream of it. The covenant have potential for some way more awesome ships than that. If absolutely necessary to bolster their fleets, artistic liberties can be taken. A little original content never really hurt.They're basically writing their own lore anyways right?

I actually drafted up 4 chapters of a SoaSE:R Novel that I was thinking about. I took a few artistic liberties in that. Particularly with the contents of the Marza Dreadnought siege guns without breaking the lore too badly. It is possible. Imagine how awesome it would be, to have some kind of custom designed, completely original covenant super ship as a titan. Cause that Redemption destroyer is a very underwhelming titan.

Oh also, I wasn't suggesting a rebel faction, so much a sub-faction. Something to support a different play style. I like to play a turtle, so Admiral Hood and the defensive play style would be really suitable for someone like me, and then someone who loves to play aggressive would go with the Patterson option, because he would best support their play style. The thing is, each sub-faction would have the same basic play style. Being based on the same faction. But their researches and bonuses would be more custom tailored. I merely referenced the whole Rebel/Loyalist split for reference.

I also really need to sleep... I should stop trying to type at 6am when I've been up all night...

"We're talking about moving objects from point "A" to point "C" by way of point "B". Point "B" being a fold in the space-time continuum."

#4 Whitehalomango

Whitehalomango

That One White Guy

• White Name
  • 1,141 posts
  • Steam:bluehalomango
  • LocationSydney HighCom Facility Bravo-6

Posted 21 October 2014 - 03:13 PM

I like the idea but it would be better to replace the different names you have of the sub-fractions. Instead of Admiral Hood you could have the UNSCDF (United Nations Space Command Defense Force). Patterson could be FleetCom (Fleet Command) and the other could just be ONI (Office of Naval Intelligence). And Devs, I don't think you would have to change much, just a few new abilities for the subs in the tech trees (maybe UNSCDF could get 2 anchor stations, etc.) as you could just use the same textures and ship for each but bear in mind I think I speak on behalf of the majority of people when I say that you should prioritise finishing the covies and balancing everything over details and requests like these.

• wolfie615 likes this

I learn from the past, enjoy the present and look forward to the future.

Remember Off-Topic!

#5 wolfie615

wolfie615

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 04:07 PM

I like the idea but it would be better to replace the different names you have of the sub-fractions. Instead of Admiral Hood you could have the UNSCDF (United Nations Space Command Defense Force). Patterson could be FleetCom (Fleet Command) and the other could just be ONI (Office of Naval Intelligence). 

I am certainly open to the idea of changing the names to fleets. I went with characters initially because... I don't really know, I think I like to have recognizable leaders. But in hindsight naming them after the fleets would make a little more sense.

Oh and since the UNSC Infinity is going to be the titan, maybe only the ONI version could have access to the experimental MAC gun. Like... an even bigger 'Cov Killer'. I don't quite understand my own thought processes sometimes, but I love the idea of a ship that temporarily shuts down when it blasts out the most powerful shot in the game.

PS: I have tried, and will continue to endeavor to keep my suggestions to things that are actually possible. I am aware some things are not possible on the Sins engine, and if something like that does crop up, then feel free to let me know it isn't possible. I don't exactly understand all the nuances and capabilities of the engine. But I'm trying to add ideas that the devs look at and think "That is actually a pretty good idea, and we could do that without having to break our backs on the extra workload."

I may not be a game designer, not a programmer, and possess no knowledge of how various engines function and such. But I do understand that game devs have to work their assess off to add things in, especially when making them from scratch. I am however quite poor, only work part time. Earn enough to survive each week, somewhat. So with that in mind I sadly can't offer money, or by now I would have thrown a fair bit at these guys. So I'll try to offer up sensible, constructive ideas instead.

#6 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 06:14 PM

I like the idea but it would be better to replace the different names you have of the sub-fractions. Instead of Admiral Hood you could have the UNSCDF (United Nations Space Command Defense Force). Patterson could be FleetCom (Fleet Command) and the other could just be ONI (Office of Naval Intelligence). And Devs, I don't think you would have to change much, just a few new abilities for the subs in the tech trees (maybe UNSCDF could get 2 anchor stations, etc.) as you could just use the same textures and ship for each but bear in mind I think I speak on behalf of the majority of people when I say that you should prioritise finishing the covies and balancing everything over details and requests like these.

sub-fractions.

fractions

i see what you did there

#7 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 06:34 PM

As of now we do not, I repeat, do not plan on having sub-factions in the game. Also we do not plan on splitting the research tree for the factions anymore we have a new design one that I believe you will like and one that you will be able to see, hopefully, in the near future.

• SternuS, Unleashed, David0425 and 2 others like this
"Japan received freedom so hard it was atomizing." -VDNKh
Spoiler

#8 wolfie615

wolfie615

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 03:05 AM

As of now we do not, I repeat, do not plan on having sub-factions in the game. Also we do not plan on splitting the research tree for the factions anymore we have a new design one that I believe you will like and one that you will be able to see, hopefully, in the near future.

My suggestions were perhaps a little early. But plans can change if the idea ends up being good enough. Granted I didn't flesh this out right now. Hell I may never see it come to be, that is fine, if I wanted to see my ideas DEFINITELY made, then I would simply learn how to make my own personal mod.

I'm simply offering up ideas, because they came to mind, and if they were to be implemented, then I'd have reason to be proud of the fact that I provided ideas. If they're not then no big deal. At least someone other than myself has read them.

• SternuS and Whitehalomango like this

#9 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 06:48 AM

My suggestions were perhaps a little early. But plans can change if the idea ends up being good enough. Granted I didn't flesh this out right now. Hell I may never see it come to be, that is fine, if I wanted to see my ideas DEFINITELY made, then I would simply learn how to make my own personal mod.

I'm simply offering up ideas, because they came to mind, and if they were to be implemented, then I'd have reason to be proud of the fact that I provided ideas. If they're not then no big deal. At least someone other than myself has read them.

Thats fine. Its why we have the forums. We like to get ideas and feedback. I made that post in the midst of a 5 day long migraine headache so I may have come across as an ass.
"Japan received freedom so hard it was atomizing." -VDNKh
Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users