• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • Steam:Unikraken
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 17 November 2014 - 01:38 PM

Sins of the Prophets Update 11.17.14

Keyes.jpegLord_hood.jpegProphet_of_Truth2.jpeg

Greetings,

After watching the debacle that was the buggy release of Halo: The Master Chief Collection, it is with a sincere feeling of irony that I write this update about the state of the mod. You see, much like the Halo publishing company we look up to, our own little Halo game has a number of issues that require some drastic measures to finally stomp out.

This story starts out in late 2008 when Sins of a Solar Empire forum user Canadaman777 begins working on a Halo mod for the original Sins of a Solar Empire. Development is slow and finding help is mostly a hazy dream being whispered on a slight breeze. The SoaSE expansion Entrenchment releases before the mod is ready for public consumption, and the mod is hastily converted over in hopes that it will soon be ready for the eager and growing fan base. Eventually, years later, an alpha is released with only the UNSC. Meanwhile another expansion called Diplomacy is released. Then a full new title is released called Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion is released, with every expansion from before as well as new content and updates to the game's engine and graphic fidelity. All the while, the mod is being internally updated to the latest release, through hasty corrections to what are now 6 year old files.

Much of the core underlying framework of Sins of the Prophets is built on the original Sins of a Solar Empire, with only the most necessary changes having been made to keep the mod running on the latest version of the game. Thus, the mod is full of a number of issues relating to this. If you've had a mini-dump it's very likely because of the outdated files and coding in some way that we're not currently able to pin down. The fix is something rather unpleasant that we have to undertake immediately in order to finish it at anywhere near a timely manner, which is rebuild the mod from the ground up, only bringing along the art assets but having to rewrite a Helluva lot of code.

What this means for you, the fans, is that it's unlikely you'll see another release this year, which is unfortunate, because we had planned to release a new version in time for ModDB's Mod of the Year contest. However, this is the best course of action for the long term health of the mod and something we should have done long ago. No more band-aids, it's time to fix this for good. Please don't ask about release dates for the next few months. When we're nearing a new release we'll let you know.

I am going to try to organize some goodies for you guys during MOTY, but I can't really promise anything just yet.

204880_screenshots_2014-11-12_00007.jpg204880_screenshots_2014-11-12_00005.jpg

• SternuS, Unleashed and Mrbump like this

[10:46:02 PM] VDNKh: Piercing Lance
[10:46:11 PM] VDNKh: fitting name for the ship that just fucked me

"Unikraken can soothe any nasties."

#2 Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Necromancer Supreme, agig did 9/11 2015

• Authorized Playtester
  • 1,723 posts
  • Steam:Fleet Admiral agigabyte
  • LocationUNSC Skrubtester

Posted 17 November 2014 - 01:45 PM

If only people would listen about the release dates thing. I think that if we ever have a rule board, that should be on there.

WE WILL RIP THEIR SKULLS FROM THEIR SPINES, AND TOSS THEM AWAY, LAUGHIN'!

Oh, I know what the ladies like... -Sarge Johnson

God have mercy on whatever alien race discovers this forum long after the human race destroys itself -Crisiss

Quotes from anywhere
Spoiler
[/quote]

#3 Cole Protocol

Cole Protocol

Balancing Coder - Particle Effects Artist

• Mod Staff
  • 1,390 posts
  • Steam:Cole Protocol
  • LocationSpirit of Fire, chilling with the Enduring Conviction.

Posted 17 November 2014 - 02:06 PM

If only people would listen about the release dates thing. I think that if we ever have a rule board, that should be on there.

The irony here is side splitting.

• Crisiss likes this

#4 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 17 November 2014 - 02:29 PM

The irony here is side splitting.

Not irony but I get what you mean.

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear - Marcus Aurelius

Spoiler

Spoiler

#5 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 02:34 PM

Not irony but I get what you mean.

Oh it is... The amount of times Fleet Adm __________ has asked about release dates is head splitting.

• Unikraken and Cole Protocol like this
"Japan received freedom so hard it was atomizing." -VDNKh
Spoiler

#6 Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Fleet Admiral agigabyte

• Authorized Playtester
  • 1,723 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 02:48 PM

Ummm... you mean that one time? I only remember asking when I wanted to do that project before realizing that modding is really hard to do.

God have mercy on whatever alien race discovers this forum long after the human race destroys itself -Crisiss

Quotes from anywhere
Spoiler
[/quote]

#7 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 17 November 2014 - 03:28 PM

Ummm... you mean that one time? I only remember asking when I wanted to do that project before realizing that modding is really hard to do.

I honestly wouldn't even know who this kid was if he didn't list his Steam name because he changes his username every month or so, which is incredibly annoying.

• Fleet Admiral agigabyte, Cole Protocol, Mrripley9 and 1 other like this

#8 Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Fleet Admiral agigabyte

• Authorized Playtester
  • 1,723 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 08:46 PM

Ya know what? Final change. Back to agig.

Quotes from anywhere
Spoiler
[/quote]

#9 Bornstellaris

Bornstellaris

The Winter Soldier

• Mod Staff
  • 1,533 posts
  • Steam:Bornstellaris
  • LocationCivil War

Posted 17 November 2014 - 10:20 PM

I honestly wouldn't even know who this kid was if he didn't list his Steam name because he changes his username every month or so, which is incredibly annoying.

I feel so forgotten, don't even message anymore. Rude/10

"But I knew him" 

- Bucky Barnes

Spoiler

#10 Metanator

Metanator

Crewman

• Authorized Playtester
  • 147 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 17 November 2014 - 10:20 PM

So if I'm reading this right, you guys are re-building the mod from the ground up? 

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

#11 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 17 November 2014 - 11:45 PM

I feel so forgotten, don't even message anymore. Rude/10

Dude you're never on.

#12 Bornstellaris

Bornstellaris

The Winter Soldier

• Mod Staff
  • 1,533 posts
  • Steam:Bornstellaris
  • LocationCivil War

Posted 18 November 2014 - 12:10 AM

Dude you're never on.

Don't even make the effort tho

"But I knew him" 

- Bucky Barnes

Spoiler

#13 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 18 November 2014 - 01:13 AM

Oh it is... The amount of times Fleet Adm __________ has asked about release dates is head splitting.

i·ro·ny1
ˈīrənē/
noun
the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.

Not irony. More of hypocrisy or contradicting himself.

I thought he was new when he first changed to the wolf thing. Dude needs to make up his mind. Though, in my empire at war days, I forgot usernames and passwords a lot...
  • David0425 likes this

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear - Marcus Aurelius

Spoiler

Spoiler

#14 Mrripley9

Mrripley9

Chief Petty Officer

• Authorized Playtester
  • 569 posts
  • Steam:The Rip-meister
  • LocationReach :P

Posted 19 November 2014 - 10:11 AM

I haven't bothered to remember who he is. Why? Because I'm terrible with names and he continually changes it, so I'd have to do it again and again, so I said no.

“Usually, the good Lord works in mysterious ways. But not today! This here is 66 tons of straight-up, H.E-spewing dee-vine intervention! If God is love, then you can call me 'Cupid'!”

76561198099678337.png

#15 Delyruin

Delyruin

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 04:30 AM

The only thing that makes me sad about this is the lack of Infinity for many more moons.

But I'm glad you guys take quality seriously, and I shall persevere.

#16 Conflate

Conflate

Crewman Apprentice

• Political Prisoner
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 10:05 AM

May you find salvation on your journey.

#17 Joseph

Joseph

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 04:50 PM

Take all the time you need guys.. You deserve it.
  • macabrenoob likes this

#18 retrozombiez

retrozombiez

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Steam:retrozombies
  • LocationMN

Posted 04 December 2014 - 12:13 AM

You guys are doing amazing work take all the time to perfected everything im willing to wait for it and I cant wait till it comes out keep up the amazing work. 

• Unleashed likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users