• Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

Shielding research for UNSC ships in Rebellion?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 MasterOfShips

MasterOfShips

MasterOfPENIS

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:34 AM

My apologies if this suggestion has already been made. If the Infinity is going to be included in the Rebellion version for this mod, can the UNSC be able to research some shielding tech later on in the game?

By the time the Infinity was built, the UNSC was able to reverse engineer some powerful shield technology into it's design. That's how it was able to survive smashing into a CCS battlecruiser head on with little to no damage. Plus, it seems likely that the UNSC would've tried to incorporate similar, albeit weaker shields for the rest of their ships.

Having shielding research/upgrades for the rest of the UNSC fleet could then reflect one of the many advances that the UNSC has made since the war.
"For Melisandre's vagina is dark and full of terror. Trust me, I know."

#2 Fsabran

Fsabran

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • LocationSão Paulo, Brazil

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

While playing in Halo 4 I realized something that may be very important, and that is, the covenant shields are different then the human shields, see normaly that wouldnt be a problem but there are more then visual differences, see the covenants shields are a bubble kind of shield that is made of hexagonal shapes while the UNSC is a hull hugging shield that looks like a giant version of the Spartans shields, this means that you could apply different properties to each one, like resistance to certain kinds of weapons and such.

#3 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

My apologies if this suggestion has already been made. If the Infinity is going to be included in the Rebellion version for this mod, can the UNSC be able to research some shielding tech later on in the game?

By the time the Infinity was built, the UNSC was able to reverse engineer some powerful shield technology into it's design. That's how it was able to survive smashing into a CCS battlecruiser head on with little to no damage. Plus, it seems likely that the UNSC would've tried to incorporate similar, albeit weaker shields for the rest of their ships.

Having shielding research/upgrades for the rest of the UNSC fleet could then reflect one of the many advances that the UNSC has made since the war.

Actually, shield technology was already being prototyped (Sabre program) before/during the fall of reach. I think that, during the time period of the rebellion release, infinity will definitely have some amount of shielding, and MAYBE other ships will. It depends on a few things, such as canon (do those charons in Halo 4 have shields as well?), as well as any information from books/games. Depends on where the mod goes though in all honesty.

#4 Fsabran

Fsabran

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:16 PM

Actually, shield technology was already being prototyped (Sabre program) before/during the fall of reach. I think that, during the time period of the rebellion release, infinity will definitely have some amount of shielding, and MAYBE other ships will. It depends on a few things, such as canon (do those charons in Halo 4 have shields as well?), as well as any information from books/games. Depends on where the mod goes though in all honesty.

Yes, the Frigates do, as well as the Broadsword and Mantis, so I assume that the tecnology has been advanced to a point where it's very likely that all ship classes have them.

#5 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

Yes, the Frigates do, as well as the Broadsword and Mantis, so I assume that the tecnology has been advanced to a point where it's very likely that all ship classes have them.

keep in mind that the examples you have given are small (compared to a ship). it takes a lot more power to have a shielded ship than it does a shielded fighter. In fact, in Dr. Halseys notebook (given to you with limited edition Halo: Reach), it says that the UNSC didnt have the ability to shield a single room on a UNSC ship, let alone the entire thing. So its still up for debate if they truly are

#6 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • Steam:Unikraken
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:20 PM

Everything that has shields in Halo 4 is related to the UNSC Infinity, which has Forerunner created Huragok. Keep that in mind.
  • MasterOfShips likes this

[10:46:02 PM] VDNKh: Piercing Lance
[10:46:11 PM] VDNKh: fitting name for the ship that just fucked me

"Unikraken can soothe any nasties."

#7 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:39 PM

And some in the UNSC wanted them on every UNSC vessel because of their ability with and to repair technology.
"Japan received freedom so hard it was atomizing." -VDNKh
Spoiler

#8 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:47 PM

And some in the UNSC wanted them on every UNSC vessel because of their ability with and to repair technology.

Right, but if you keep reading that book, it's made pretty clear that unless they can breed them in a way that they don't retain Forerunner knowledge, they won't be putting them in general use. It's safe, at present, to assume they are only on ONI ships or stuff directly attached to the Infinity.

#9 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:05 PM

Yes, but given the beating that humanity took at the hands of the Covenant I'm sure that shielding and the tech to expand it to the fleet is a HIGH priority. However your assumption is a safe one.
Spoiler

#10 Fsabran

Fsabran

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:06 PM

True but I think that the shields are homemade because they do not resemble the Forerruner shields (a blue outline that surrounds everything) or the covenant ones ( a buble shaped shield made of small hexagons) which I do think is something mind you, because we already know that there is more than one kind of shielding Halo.

#11 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

I'll be dead straight with you guys, I'm not a fan of putting shields on anything we haven't specifically seen having them. My modus operandi is take what you see in the series and translate it to Sins. We only expand on the canon when completely necessary.

#12 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:32 PM

That make complete sense.
Spoiler

#13 Fsabran

Fsabran

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

I'll be dead straight with you guys, I'm not a fan of putting shields on anything we haven't specifically seen having them. My modus operandi is take what you see in the series and translate it to Sins. We only expand on the canon when completely necessary.

I can go with that.

#14 DEMONTHESE2211

DEMONTHESE2211

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:20 PM

From a realistic standpoint putting shields on old ships makes no sense. These vessels were not designed with shields in mind, which means that their powerplants weren't either. Even if they were designed to accept upgrades, given the immense energy requirement of an effective shielding system, there is no way that they would be overengineered enough to accept the addons. You would need to replace the entire powerplant and by that time you might as well build a whole new shipclass.

#15 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:11 PM

Ill be perfectly honest, as far as ive seen, the Infinity is the only UNSC ship that is bigger than a hangar to ever have shielding. I have yet to see a canon example of any other UNSC ship (broadsword and sabre fighters excluded) that has a working shield

#16 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • Steam:KhevaKins
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:22 PM

The Charons is spartan ops had shields.
Spoiler

led203_crashed_0.pngled203.jpg

#17 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

The Charons is spartan ops had shields.

not trying to say you are wrong, but how do you know they did?

EDIT: just checked halopedia to see if they did have energy shielding, and it turns out they did

#18 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • Steam:KhevaKins
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:38 PM

Yes and in the video you can see the shields. They flare up. Small but they're there
Spoiler

led203_crashed_0.pngled203.jpg

#19 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:38 PM

They do, you see them take incoming fire at one point.

#20 MasterOfShips

MasterOfShips

MasterOfPENIS

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:37 AM

Everything that has shields in Halo 4 is related to the UNSC Infinity, which has Forerunner created Huragok. Keep that in mind.

I honestly didn't know about the Huragok thing.

I can go with that.

Me too.
"For Melisandre's vagina is dark and full of terror. Trust me, I know."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users