• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Faber

Faber

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 01:53 AM

Hello I have been following this mod for a while and just recently downloaded it. Before I continue I have to say this mod is amazing. That said I was having some difficulties that didn't seem to match the asymmetrical warfare mentioned on other parts of the forums. The map I chose was the UNSC Final Stand map with 46ish planets. I am playing a two player game with myself as the UNSC and the AI on normal as the Covenant. Pretty much in order for me to expand I am forced to fight over each and every planet. To sum up much of the details the AI and myself each lost hundreds and hundreds of ships battling over one planet. It got to the point that in order to keep my fleet reserves up I built my shipyards next door to the planet I was attacking so my ships could be supplied. At this point I only bothered producing Marathon class cruisers because they were cheap and had nuclear warheads. I also produced an assortment of combat ships. Like I said earlier though, both myself and the normal level AI lost hundreds of ships and the AI at least lost five Titans over the course of this hour and a half long battle/siege. 

Now that battle didn't seem to be the experience a lot of the other players were having here. Personally I was looking forward to using the Orion's as hunting packs as the Wikipedia page for this mod mentioned but at least for the couple games I have played that hasn't been the case. The game mechanics have been more akin to who can throw the most ships into the battle at once and supply them the longest.  I was wondering if perhaps I had a game option turned on that caused this or maybe I was just playing the map wrong. The map did suggest the game was for 2 vs 2. 

Thoughts?

• D4RKST0RM99 likes this

#2 Whitehalomango

Whitehalomango

That One White Guy

• White Name
  • 1,141 posts
  • Steam:bluehalomango
  • LocationSydney HighCom Facility Bravo-6

Posted 26 February 2015 - 02:31 AM

Build up a massive fleet consisting of almost every type of ship THEN attack.Capitals= Valiant and Theremployes are fleet buffers(IMPORTANT), Orion are obviously snipers, Autumns are kinda Tank/DPS (THEY HAVE SHIVAS! NUKE!!!!), Marathon are pure DPS but only have HAVOCs if I remember. Carriers are carriers (I forget the ship name), Halcyon are tanks plain and simple, Thanatos are pure DPS, Paris' are cheap DPS', Stalwarts are AA (IMPORTANT) andCharons are siegers. Remember their roles and you should be good. Don't forget to lvl your ships and maybe even purchase lvls, use abilities wisely (Nuke a Capital not frigate, board a CCS and not a CAR) and target enemies wisely (Don't have your entire fleet target a NON Capital or even single ship, there power is in the first shot! THE MACS! First shots, big damage, long cooldown so dont waste that). Also remember UNSC are defenders/Late game, use them that way. One on one the UNSC will lose. Use more ships and Nukes and you should win. Defend your planets until the fleet is ready. Build Starbases and SMAC stations until prepared.

I learn from the past, enjoy the present and look forward to the future.

Remember Off-Topic!

#3 insaene

insaene

Master of the Insane(You! Yeah YOU!!)

• Contributor
  • 645 posts
  • LocationIn your mind, eating your sanity

Posted 26 February 2015 - 03:47 AM

Play with smallest fleet option. Makes it more immersive IMHO. Every ship counts then

Dwarf.png

It takes a dwarf to use magma for snow shoveling

Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones

#4 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • Steam:Unikraken
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 26 February 2015 - 07:23 AM

The custom non-random maps are designed around chokepoint gameplay, which essentially causes these kind of build ups you're having. Trying playing on large random maps with 1 or 2 opponents.

[10:46:02 PM] VDNKh: Piercing Lance
[10:46:11 PM] VDNKh: fitting name for the ship that just fucked me

"Unikraken can soothe any nasties."

#5 Jacob_2195

Jacob_2195

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Steam:Trekkie1017
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 26 February 2015 - 12:40 PM

The custom non-random maps are designed around chokepoint gameplay, which essentially causes these kind of build ups you're having. Trying playing on large random maps with 1 or 2 opponents.

Unikraken, don't allow this man to try a random map when there's Soell He should play the postwar map w/ the flood on........

"Didn't you know? Spartans never die." Kurt-051 "Ambrose"

#6 Faber

Faber

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 01:27 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users