#21 Zero

Zero

HHF Lead Dev

• Contributor
  • 1,808 posts
  • LocationKent, Washington, USA

Posted 11 May 2015 - 09:54 AM

Which is scientifically inaccurate.

The MAC launches objects by pushing on them with magnetic force. The slug is "pushing" against the magnetic fields, which push it forward. This works because the station weighs so much more than the slug, so it gets pushed back less than the slug for the same delta-v

Thems the rules folks. Thus the laws of nature spake
Sent from my Moto X

The word you're describing is inertia, the station takes longer to get moving because its larger, but it will still move regardless and still needs a thrust vector. In Halo 2 and Halo 2A I forgot, but the SMAC muzzle is vented, which probably mitigates most recoil, and then the muzzle itself also recoils so the station doesn't have to, probably with some type of dampner tech.

qqpudUa.gif

Spoiler

Spoiler

#22 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 11 May 2015 - 10:27 AM

The word you're describing is inertia, the station takes longer to get moving because its larger, but it will still move regardless and still needs a thrust vector. In Halo 2 and Halo 2A I forgot, but the SMAC muzzle is vented, which probably mitigates most recoil, and then the muzzle itself also recoils so the station doesn't have to, probably with some type of dampner tech.

Correct - they will need something to counteract the recoil.

I can't think of a feasible way of absorbing the recoil without it eventually pushing the station backwards - vents don't really have any effect I could think of, and a dampener is essentially just changing how the delta-v is applied...
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#23 MrChipps

MrChipps

Having a beer with Colonel Jack O'Neill

• Contributor
  • 789 posts
  • LocationThe Commonwealth wasteland

Posted 11 May 2015 - 10:45 AM

I can't be bothered to look it up now, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that smacs have thrusters that fire the same time as the gun.
Sweden can into gender!

#24 VDNKh

VDNKh

Creator of Worlds

• Inactive Staff
  • 344 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 12:04 PM

I can't be bothered to look it up now, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that smacs have thrusters that fire the same time as the gun.

Those would have to be some big ass thrusters, as every slug has the same kinetic energy as the Chicxulub impactor.

"Well if the AI is so retarded the answer is simple, just make the player dumber too."

- Ancient Modding Proverb

#25 Zero

Zero

HHF Lead Dev

• Contributor
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 12:16 PM

Correct - they will need something to counteract the recoil.

I can't think of a feasible way of absorbing the recoil without it eventually pushing the station backwards - vents don't really have any effect I could think of, and a dampener is essentially just changing how the delta-v is applied...

Vents would distribute the ejecting gasses out the side so it isn't pushing the station backwards and rather pushing it side to side equally so it doesnt move.

qqpudUa.gif

Spoiler

Spoiler

#26 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 12:39 PM

Vents would distribute the ejecting gasses out the side so it isn't pushing the station backwards and rather pushing it side to side equally so it doesnt move.

I don't think that works that way. I'd try to explain, but honestly, I'm waaaay too tired to right now for some reason....
#define true false

Spoiler

#27 MrChipps

MrChipps

• Contributor
  • 789 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 01:18 PM

Those would have to be some big ass thrusters, as every slug has the same kinetic energy as the Chicxulub impactor.

Nevermind
Sweden can into gender!

#28 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 01:47 PM

Not really, most of the energy is projected forward with the shell due to it beeing much smaller and lighter than the whole station.

*grumbles under breath about physics education*

Hint: Newton's third law
#define true false

Spoiler

#29 MrChipps

MrChipps

• Contributor
  • 789 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 01:51 PM

*grumbles under breath about physics education*

Hey, I'm a political science major my knowledge of physics is limited and I'm just guessing here. Feel free to educate me, I want to learn.
Sweden can into gender!

#30 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 01:58 PM

Hey, I'm a political science major my knowledge of physics is limited and I'm just guessing here. Feel free to educate me, I want to learn.

The energy (delta-V) is exerted on both sides of the action - The reason the station doesn't go flying off is because, due to its larger mass, the delta-V has less of an effect on the station's trajectory. It would still require an equal amount of energy to counteract the recoil though - it requires just as much energy to fix its trajectory

TL;DR: Terminology is really important.
#define true false

Spoiler

#31 MrChipps

MrChipps

• Contributor
  • 789 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 02:01 PM

The energy (delta-V) is exerted on both sides of the action - The reason the station doesn't go flying off is because, due to its larger mass, the delta-V has less of an effect on the station's trajectory. It would still require an equal amount of energy to counteract the recoil though - it requires just as much energy to fix its trajectoryTL;DR: Terminology is really important.

So I was right but used the wrong terminology?

Edit: but if the shell beeing pushed out by magnetic fields has much less mass than than the station doing the pushing wouldn't the station move significantly slower relative to the shell? And couldn't a thrust assembly be capable of counteracting the stations movement and maintain its original position if said assembly could produce enough thrust?
Sweden can into gender!

#32 VDNKh

VDNKh

Creator of Worlds

• Inactive Staff
  • 344 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 02:45 PM

The energy (delta-V) is exerted on both sides of the action - The reason the station doesn't go flying off is because, due to its larger mass, the delta-V has less of an effect on the station's trajectory. It would still require an equal amount of energy to counteract the recoil though - it requires just as much energy to fix its trajectory

TL;DR: Terminology is really important.

Delta-V isn't the right form of energy here, we're dealing with mass and velocity. Newtons is the appropriate unit of measurement, or in this case Teranewtons.

So I was right but used the wrong terminology?

Edit: but if the shell beeing pushed out by magnetic fields has much less mass than than the station doing the pushing wouldn't the station move significantly slower relative to the shell? And couldn't a thrust assembly be capable of counteracting the stations movement and maintain its original position if said assembly could produce enough thrust?

Imagine, if you will, a 12 kilometer wide asteroid traveling 20 kilometers per second. This is about the force of the impactor that kill the dinosaurs. Now imagine that asteroid hitting the business end of a SMAC. That's the kinda of recoil force we're talking about here.

"Well if the AI is so retarded the answer is simple, just make the player dumber too."

- Ancient Modding Proverb

#33 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 04:46 PM

Delta-V isn't the right form of energy here, we're dealing with mass and velocity. Newtons is the appropriate unit of measurement, or in this case Teranewtons.

Well it's the same end result - the velocity is changed :P

I'm fairly certain they're different terms for the same thing tbh lol
#define true false

Spoiler

#34 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 04:50 PM

Yes, and yes it will. However, the thrust assembly still has to counteract the entirety of the force generated by the firing. The effect it has on the station is irrelevant to how powerful the engines have to be.
Imagine it this way - You run in to a giant metal box on a frictionless low-friction surface. You fly backwards, and the box goes the other way a little bit. Now, if you want to move the box back to where it was, you'll need to hit it with exactly the same amount of energy, just going the other way.
When you're in orbit. it has the same effect - if the station is so massive that the firing of the SMAC barely moves it, you'll need a huge amount of energy (equal exactly to the amount generated by firing) to move back into the same position as before.

EDIT: Tune in today to watch Sloosecannon forget what frictionless means...
#define true false

Spoiler

#35 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 11 May 2015 - 06:12 PM

You're forgetting the fact that it's a giant magnet shooting a chunk of metal. I'm not sure how much recoil there is to speak of.

This is a pointless argument since nobody even knows how the damn thing works.

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear - Marcus Aurelius

Spoiler

Spoiler

#36 SiRD31M0S

SiRD31M0S

Forum Jester

• Authorized Playtester
  • 859 posts
  • Steam:sird31mos
  • LocationThe infinitesimal space between thoughts, on the cusp of uncountable instances of possibility.

Posted 11 May 2015 - 07:11 PM

You're forgetting the fact that it's a giant magnet shooting a chunk of metal. I'm not sure how much recoil there is to speak of.

The only real mystery, apart from position maintenance, is how the energy from the ground-side generators is projected to the station. We have approximate knowledge of how the gun itself works. Railguns are a thing we already have.

• sloosecannon likes this

I am a naturally philosophical and industrious evil.

It's all or nothin' baby, it's never ever maybe

You think I might be crazy, but I gotta be ALL IN

Spoiler
Spoiler

#37 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 07:46 PM

There is exactly the same recoil as with an explosive weapon.
Recoil is a side-effect of propelling projectiles. Unless it's a non-physical projectile, there will be recoil.
#define true false

Spoiler

#38 WarthogRacingMan3

WarthogRacingMan3

Mr. Warthog Racing Man

• Authorized Playtester
  • 387 posts
  • LocationWaukegan, Ilinois, United Republic of North America

Posted 11 May 2015 - 08:23 PM

The only real mystery, apart from position maintenance, is how the energy from the ground-side generators is projected to the station. We have approximate knowledge of how the gun itself works. Railguns are a thing we already have.

They probably use microwaves or lasers to transmit the energy. Also, your right about us already knowing how SMACs work, we know the concepts behind coilguns (which SMACs are) and some have already been built on the small-scale and small-power level.

The Warthog Racing Man the Third

Posted Image

Desolation comes upon the sky

Now I see fire

#39 Zero

Zero

HHF Lead Dev

• Contributor
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 09:21 PM

I don't think that works that way. I'd try to explain, but honestly, I'm waaaay too tired to right now for some reason....

That's how muzzle brakes work in real life, the gases are ejected out the side and not the front so there isn't as much force pushing against your shoulder, but rather in equal and opposite directions out the sides of the barrel.

qqpudUa.gif

Spoiler

Spoiler

#40 Metanator

Metanator

Crewman

• Authorized Playtester
  • 147 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 12 May 2015 - 02:21 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong about all this, but aren't the SMACs stationed in space? In which case, there is no need to vent gasses as there wouldn't be any to begin with? A coilgun round doesn't have any propellant in it, so there should be no gaseous expulsions. Also, while the thing about conservation of momentum is correct, wouldn't Lenz's law make it so that the actual recoil received right after the shot be very little as it is distributed over a longer period of time? So it would actually be really easy to account for that with the adjusting jets they would already have on the station to keep it in geosynchronous orbit?

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users