SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • Steam:SternuS
  • LocationItaly

Posted 11 October 2015 - 02:44 AM

Thoughts?

I found it quite interesting and funny, especially the Walker Assault mode in which I ain't even mad when I lose, it's just too fun.

I got to try the AT-AT, AT-ST, and they're both great and funny to use, not OP at all since they can be brought down quickly (referring to the ST). I got to play as Luke, and the first (and only) time I used him I managed to kill my father.

I tried the Tie Fighter, X-Wing and Snowspeeder, but I can't get them to work. I have no clue on what each ability does, and was just happy to fly in first person (tunneling through an AT-AT's legs with a Snowspeeder never gets old). Controls aren't great, but maybe it's just a matter of getting used to them.

The only thing that will be missing when the game will release is the Conquest mode, and the space wars. Which are kind of appropriate in a game called STAR WARS. Let's hope they'll bring them back as a DLC or something.

• Commander Jbug and Fleet Admiral agigabyte like this

c048b5cb018d634cb3a0d9bd3617eb50-d547q01

Peter Jackson, 27/07/2013: 1.08 am. A 20 hour day ... 15 years of Tolkien ... 771 days of shooting ...

"We would be fools to pursue the impossible simply because you believe the achievable is flawed" - Ugin

#2 SiRD31M0S

SiRD31M0S

Forum Jester

• Authorized Playtester
  • 859 posts
  • Steam:sird31mos
  • LocationThe infinitesimal space between thoughts, on the cusp of uncountable instances of possibility.

Posted 11 October 2015 - 03:16 AM

Don't instantly die in one shot regardless of useless shiny armor. 3/10.

I am a naturally philosophical and industrious evil.

It's all or nothin' baby, it's never ever maybe

You think I might be crazy, but I gotta be ALL IN

Spoiler
Spoiler

#3 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 11 October 2015 - 03:21 AM

Don't instantly die in one shot regardless of useless shiny armor. 3/10.

6facce4dbcb12db847d2210da23f5c7d.gif

• SiRD31M0S likes this

Peter Jackson, 27/07/2013: 1.08 am. A 20 hour day ... 15 years of Tolkien ... 771 days of shooting ...

"We would be fools to pursue the impossible simply because you believe the achievable is flawed" - Ugin

#4 베이클라이트

베이클라이트

SPARTAN-I

• Contributor
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 04:24 AM

The Star wars Beta in a nutshell

• cagywhiterino likes this

YmSsY2C.png

#5 Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Necromancer Supreme, agig did 9/11 2015

• Authorized Playtester
  • 1,723 posts
  • Steam:Fleet Admiral agigabyte
  • LocationUNSC Skrubtester

Posted 11 October 2015 - 06:40 AM

Didn't like Walker Assault. Too unbalanced.
WE WILL RIP THEIR SKULLS FROM THEIR SPINES, AND TOSS THEM AWAY, LAUGHIN'!

Oh, I know what the ladies like... -Sarge Johnson

God have mercy on whatever alien race discovers this forum long after the human race destroys itself -Crisiss

Quotes from anywhere
Spoiler
[/quote]

#6 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 11 October 2015 - 11:54 AM

Didn't like Walker Assault. Too unbalanced.

How so? I didn't really notice any balance issues when I was playing it...
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#7 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 11 October 2015 - 12:49 PM

Who the fuck cares for balance?

I'm on an AT-AT. I am the balance.

• Faced and DGaius like this

#8 Bornstellaris

Bornstellaris

The Winter Soldier

• Mod Staff
  • 1,533 posts
  • Steam:Bornstellaris
  • LocationCivil War

Posted 11 October 2015 - 12:54 PM

It's not unbalanced. I mean, it is the battle of Hoth so the Rebels should always be on the back foot considering they lose the battle. The only thing that was a little annoying was the sheer amount of AT-STs walking around. It doesn't take too long to kill them with some back up and ion shots, but it distracts from the objectives for too long and they do kill most of the team before they die. I will say that picking up a snow speeder and winning a losing match with the towcable is the best thing I've ever done.
  • SternuS and cagywhiterino like this

"But I knew him" 

- Bucky Barnes

Spoiler

#9 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 11 October 2015 - 01:53 PM

It's not unbalanced. I mean, it is the battle of Hoth so the Rebels should always be on the back foot considering they lose the battle. The only thing that was a little annoying was the sheer amount of AT-STs walking around. It doesn't take too long to kill them with some back up and ion shots, but it distracts from the objectives for too long and they do kill most of the team before they die. I will say that picking up a snow speeder and winning a losing match with the towcable is the best thing I've ever done.

Wait, you could use the Towcable?

#10 Caesars_Legion

Caesars_Legion

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 70 posts
  • Steam:lava788
  • LocationGreat Britain, South-East England.

Posted 11 October 2015 - 02:06 PM

The only thing that will be missing when the game will release is the Conquest mode, and the space wars. Which are kind of appropriate in a game called STAR WARS. Let's hope they'll bring them back as a DLC or something.

THEY SHOULDN'T HAVE TO RELEASE IT IN A DLC. ARGGGGHHHHH. IT SHOULDN'T BE NECESSARY. ARHHHHHHHH.

• DGaius, 베이클라이트 and SternuS like this

#11 Bornstellaris

Bornstellaris

The Winter Soldier

• Mod Staff
  • 1,533 posts
  • Steam:Bornstellaris
  • LocationCivil War

Posted 11 October 2015 - 02:07 PM

Just get close to the AT-AT with the snowspeeder after the last Y-Wing strikes, press LB and RB at the same time and follow the on screen prompts. As long as the Empire isn't dominating the skies, then it's pretty easy to get both of the AT-ATs before they win the match.

maxresdefault_zpsz2q16m5h.jpg

• SternuS likes this

"But I knew him" 

- Bucky Barnes

Spoiler

#12 Jaeger

Jaeger

WarRanger2034

• Banned
  • 1,025 posts
  • Steam:WarRanger2034
  • LocationDeveloping the cure for the Flood

Posted 11 October 2015 - 06:24 PM

it is the battle of Hoth so the Rebels should always be on the back foot considering they lose the battle. 

Lore should never be a reason to say the game type is balanced.

Hoth is horribly balanced. I have seen very few games where the rebels win and that often because either someone had an orbital strike or knew what to do with T-47s(which suffice to say most people are dumber then a pile of bricks).

When I die, please bury me deep! Place an MA5 down by my feet! Don't cry for me, don't shed no tear! Just pack my box with PT gear! 'Cuz one early morning 'bout zero five! The ground will rumble, there'll be lightning in the sky! Don't you worry, don't come undone! It's just my ghost on a PT run!”

Veni, Vidi, Vici!

#13 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 11 October 2015 - 07:50 PM

While the game is fun...it feels very incomplete more like how I'd imagine an Alpha to feel.  I also hate the leveling shit.  I cannot express enough how much I hate that because I stated the game a day later than the other toms dicks and harrys I get demolished because they have overshields, thermal detonators, and jetpacks.   Its very alienating to new players who are already getting accustomed to the control scheme to now also have to get bent over their desks solely due to someone playing the game longer than you.  

Also Hero vs. Hero combat is painfully underwhelming.  Shit it was better in Battlefront II.

#14 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 11 October 2015 - 11:27 PM

While the game is fun...it feels very incomplete more like how I'd imagine an Alpha to feel.  I also hate the leveling shit.  I cannot express enough how much I hate that because I stated the game a day later than the other toms dicks and harrys I get demolished because they have overshields, thermal detonators, and jetpacks.   Its very alienating to new players who are already getting accustomed to the control scheme to now also have to get bent over their desks solely due to someone playing the game longer than you.  

Also Hero vs. Hero combat is painfully underwhelming.  Shit it was better in Battlefront II.

Everything was better in Battlefront II. That game will still be a notch above this one.

• DGaius likes this

#15 베이클라이트

베이클라이트

SPARTAN-I

• Contributor
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 11:39 PM

(which suffice to say most people are dumber then a pile of bricks).

nothing new.

YmSsY2C.png

#16 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 12 October 2015 - 10:50 AM

Everything was better in Battlefront II. That game will still be a notch above this one.

Yeah, that game was legendary I often forget I played that bad boy on the original Xbox.    You'd think they'd be able to make something at least on par 10 years later and 2 gaming generations later.

#17 Aunt Gruntie

Aunt Gruntie

Sterilized Food Nipples!

• Contributor
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 04:15 PM

Let's be honest here, and take off our rose tinted glasses. Battlefront II was a great game. But it had a few shortcomings. First off, it was basically Battlefield with the StarWars theme painted on. Secondly the actual gameplay, I'm talking about shooting stuff, movement, you know, the basics, were pretty jank. Not well polished, and the only reason we put up with it was it's GODAMN STARWARS. Thirdly the balance was....... meh, some maps where awfully balanced if I remember correctly.

The theme carried that game, without the theme it would have been a less than stellar Battlefield clone with a few decent ideas. Those ideas being (and coincidently the best parts of the game for me): Galactic conquest, space battles, and heroes.

Yes I've played the new Battlefront beta and it's pretty good from what I've seen. The graphics and particle effects are spot on, it runs surprisingly smoothly (PC) given it's listed min requirements. The load times aren't nearly as bad as they were in BF4 and BF3. Sound design, is holyshit batman this is the best omg yesyesyesyesyes. Play this game with headphones and you'll not be disappointed, DICE makes incredible sound design and this is no exception. Running around on ground level while an AT-ST walks past blasting everything away and hearing a Tie Fighter screeching past, as you deploy a Squad Shield and listen to the laser blasts ping off the shield while everything gets muffled from outside the shield is, is, it's just the best ok. The shooting and movement is smooth as butter and the power up system for getting rockets and vehicles is interesting.

However, the leveling system is, well I don't care for it. The flying is a mixed bag IMO, and Hoth is, well it's a bit unbalanced. The leveling system is far too tedious, you have to reach a certain level, then spend an ingame currency to unlock it as well? That's far too finicky and annoying. Flying, oh boy flying. I'm a bit conflicted to be honest, as on PC it's basically mouse aim from Warthunder, with a weird amount of mouse acceleration (this is true for all vehicles/turrets) which I'm guessing was done to keep people from being ungodly accurate with vehicles (assumption on my part). Dogfights tend to boil down to numbers, and who gets on whose tail first (basically every battlefield/battlefront ever). I mean the maneuver buttons (F1,F2,F3) kinda help, but if someone's behind you, they typically just delay the inevitable, which is you dying (unless you're in a Tie Fighter). So all in all it's ok, I guess. The fact that, by default on PC, it's mouse aim, keeps the barrier to entry as low as possible for flying is definitely a plus, but it feels a bit jank due to the mouse acceleration (once you get used to it, you can still be quite accurate).

Hoth is weird. From my experience the Rebels will only win under 2 somewhat similar conditions. One is the the Empire team is stupid as balls or just plain bad. The other is if the Rebels spawn as fast as possible when the match first loads and take the first uplinks and dig in before the Imps spawn in, this typically paves the way for the rest of the match. If those 2 things don't happen then the Empire wins almost hands down. The Empire spawns too close to the first uplinks imo, and depending on when the bulk of your team spawns can heavily influence the rest of the match. The Rebels air pickups are more or less on the Imperial side of the map, and one has no cover around it, making them extremely difficult to get (and without air support the AT-ST's will wreck as people don't equip Ion Grenades or Shot). All the Imps pick ups are clearly on their side of the map making it easy for them to pickup so... just... wtf.

The other mode is basically KoTH. Meh.

At the end of the day it's not JUST Battlefield with a SW skin, and I'm ok with that.

• sloosecannon and Bornstellaris like this

Help me Sergeant I'm lost in Kurfluffle land!

#18 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 12 October 2015 - 05:12 PM

Let's be honest here, and take off our rose tinted glasses. Battlefront II was a great game. But it had a few shortcomings. First off, it was basically Battlefield with the StarWars theme painted on. Secondly the actual gameplay, I'm talking about shooting stuff, movement, you know, the basics, were pretty jank. Not well polished, and the only reason we put up with it was it's GODAMN STARWARS. Thirdly the balance was....... meh, some maps where awfully balanced if I remember correctly.

The theme carried that game, without the theme it would have been a less than stellar Battlefield clone with a few decent ideas. Those ideas being (and coincidently the best parts of the game for me): Galactic conquest, space battles, and heroes.

Yes I've played the new Battlefront beta and it's pretty good from what I've seen. The graphics and particle effects are spot on, it runs surprisingly smoothly (PC) given it's listed min requirements. The load times aren't nearly as bad as they were in BF4 and BF3. Sound design, is holyshit batman this is the best omg yesyesyesyesyes. Play this game with headphones and you'll not be disappointed, DICE makes incredible sound design and this is no exception. Running around on ground level while an AT-ST walks past blasting everything away and hearing a Tie Fighter screeching past, as you deploy a Squad Shield and listen to the laser blasts ping off the shield while everything gets muffled from outside the shield is, is, it's just the best ok. The shooting and movement is smooth as butter and the power up system for getting rockets and vehicles is interesting.

However, the leveling system is, well I don't care for it. The flying is a mixed bag IMO, and Hoth is, well it's a bit unbalanced. The leveling system is far too tedious, you have to reach a certain level, then spend an ingame currency to unlock it as well? That's far too finicky and annoying. Flying, oh boy flying. I'm a bit conflicted to be honest, as on PC it's basically mouse aim from Warthunder, with a weird amount of mouse acceleration (this is true for all vehicles/turrets) which I'm guessing was done to keep people from being ungodly accurate with vehicles (assumption on my part). Dogfights tend to boil down to numbers, and who gets on whose tail first (basically every battlefield/battlefront ever). I mean the maneuver buttons (F1,F2,F3) kinda help, but if someone's behind you, they typically just delay the inevitable, which is you dying (unless you're in a Tie Fighter). So all in all it's ok, I guess. The fact that, by default on PC, it's mouse aim, keeps the barrier to entry as low as possible for flying is definitely a plus, but it feels a bit jank due to the mouse acceleration (once you get used to it, you can still be quite accurate).

Hoth is weird. From my experience the Rebels will only win under 2 somewhat similar conditions. One is the the Empire team is stupid as balls or just plain bad. The other is if the Rebels spawn as fast as possible when the match first loads and take the first uplinks and dig in before the Imps spawn in, this typically paves the way for the rest of the match. If those 2 things don't happen then the Empire wins almost hands down. The Empire spawns too close to the first uplinks imo, and depending on when the bulk of your team spawns can heavily influence the rest of the match. The Rebels air pickups are more or less on the Imperial side of the map, and one has no cover around it, making them extremely difficult to get (and without air support the AT-ST's will wreck as people don't equip Ion Grenades or Shot). All the Imps pick ups are clearly on their side of the map making it easy for them to pickup so... just... wtf.

The other mode is basically KoTH. Meh.

At the end of the day it's not JUST Battlefield with a SW skin, and I'm ok with that.

+1

Now BFII with BFX was a whole other matter :)

But yeah, from a design/immersion perspective, they nailed it. Menu UI is good, nothing particularly obnixious. In-Game is awesome - blaster shots flying by, burrowing into the ground as an AT-AT blasts away at you with things flying over, it feels like Star Wars, but better. Graphics (on my 970, YMMV) are amazing. The cards are... interesting - They're a new take on abilities and stuff and they're... not bad. So that's a plus. Leveling? Annoying, but... meh, if they keep the costs down it won't be that bad. Agree entirely on Hoth - it's an... interesting balance situation.

I couldn't fly worth crap with mouse - I'll need to turn that off.

#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#19 Aunt Gruntie

Aunt Gruntie

Sterilized Food Nipples!

• Contributor
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 08:37 PM

I couldn't fly worth crap with mouse - I'll need to turn that off.

I got used to it. Then I went outta my way to fly alot.

Help me Sergeant I'm lost in Kurfluffle land!

#20 Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Necromancer Supreme, agig did 9/11 2015

• Authorized Playtester
  • 1,723 posts
  • Steam:Fleet Admiral agigabyte
  • LocationUNSC Skrubtester

Posted 12 October 2015 - 09:14 PM

Grunt, I played until my 360 died, and I have no idea what the fuck you're talking about with the shooting and such in 2.
WE WILL RIP THEIR SKULLS FROM THEIR SPINES, AND TOSS THEM AWAY, LAUGHIN'!

Oh, I know what the ladies like... -Sarge Johnson

God have mercy on whatever alien race discovers this forum long after the human race destroys itself -Crisiss

Quotes from anywhere
Spoiler
[/quote]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users