16 replies to this topic

#1 DGaius

DGaius

Mecha Man!!

• Mod Staff
  • 480 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 17 December 2015 - 03:59 PM

The last few months I've been surprised by the lack of a Star Wars topic. Now that The Force Awakens is opening up around the globe, I figured it'd be a good time to open one. Keep in mind to use spoiler tags untill the 25th of december (which is the final release date outside of 9th of january in China). Other rules apply too, keep it civil and no shitposting. Good arguments, no memes. You all know the drill.

I saw TFA today, I thought it was fantastic. Deffinately 'nerdgasmed' a couple of times. Sure there's some disnifying going on (or disnification if you prefer that). And if you weren't expecting that by now, you've been fooling yourself. All the signs were there.

I am curious to see various reactions from fellow fans. IMDB and Rottentomatoes reviews are very positive. I've also seen a particular place on the internet so ass-blasted that it was both sad and funny. So what about you guys? Blown away or butthurt beyond belief?

My spoiler filled first impressions:

Spoiler

Covenant at War Dev and Sins of the Prophets SFX Guy   ---  soundcloud.com/dgaius

#2 mmeier

mmeier

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 98 posts
  • Steam:mmeier1986
  • LocationGermany

Posted 18 December 2015 - 03:50 AM

Luckily, I was on a conference in the US and thus got to see the movie earlier than the rest of Germany. And at this point I just don't have any idea what I'm supposed to think about it. I'm not as butthurt (to stay with DGaiu's) as I was after Episode I. I was one of those guys who were livid when they announced a "reboot" instead of just using one of the myriad incredible stories from the EU.

Comparing it to the prequel trilogy, TFA is of the same quality and Star Warsness (and this was where his language skills left him...). A big bonus is that there is no angsty teenager in it. And no Jar Jar Binks.

My advice to all Star Wars fans: Go in with a positive attitude. Ignore everything you feared because it was produced by Disney and directed by Abrams. Because then, like me, the homage to A New Hope will make you keep a broad smile on your face and a warm glow on the inside during the whole film.

Finally, I have to ask again: Why not dip into the EU for it's stories? Why not make a film adaption of Truce at Bakura, for example? It would have a completely different outlook, with the Empire/Sith not being the viallains for once. Or, if you wnated new characters, why not jump forward to the Vong invasion? Oh what I would give for a movie adaption of the Koornacht Crisis...

#3 Zero

Zero

HHF Lead Dev

• Contributor
  • 1,808 posts
  • LocationKent, Washington, USA

Posted 21 December 2015 - 04:18 PM

A big bonus is that there is no angsty teenager in it.

Why not dip into the EU for it's stories?

Um, yeah there was.

And they did, everything is ripped off of post-Yuuzhan Vong war with different names and small tweaks to make it a JJ Abrams original

qqpudUa.gif

Spoiler

Spoiler

#4 Azo 'Salcam

Azo 'Salcam

Crewman

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • LocationLooking for Forerunner artifacts...

Posted 22 December 2015 - 05:37 AM

It was AWESOME! :D

I give it a nine out of ten!

I give it this rating because of these minor reasons:

• The movie was somewhat quiet. This is Star Wars, we need more music.
  • There were too many "awkward silence" moments. Something would happen lets say, and then everyone is just standing there, not saying anything. Its like, ".......uhm movie? Ya still there? *tap* *tap* *tap* yes?"
  • Lastly, some sounds were too hushed. If a blaster or laser went off, the sound was either not there, or was too...whispered. I admit some sounds that NEEDED hushing were hushed, but everything else needed to be louder is all.

Otherwise, this movie went far beyond my low expectations, I'm heavily impressed! I just hope Disney and Mister Abrams do a bang up job wit whatever direction they are going.

Also good to see elements of the Expanded Universe are being used. So they may have somewhat dismissed the EU from being canon per say, but they use its legacy, and that's okay by me.

Spoiler

Spoilered that gif for ya... -Sloose

#5 Aunt Gruntie

Aunt Gruntie

Sterilized Food Nipples!

• Contributor
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 01:58 AM

I saw it in a 70mm Imax screen, was not disappointed.

Also they were playing music in almost every single scene, not sure what you're on aboot skimisher...

Spoiler

• Fleet Admiral agigabyte likes this

Help me Sergeant I'm lost in Kurfluffle land!

#6 Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Necromancer Supreme, agig did 9/11 2015

• Authorized Playtester
  • 1,723 posts
  • Steam:Fleet Admiral agigabyte
  • LocationUNSC Skrubtester

Posted 23 December 2015 - 02:27 AM

I give an eight out of ten. Also, Skirmisher, nothing needed to be any louder. My ears were ringing after some battle scenes.
WE WILL RIP THEIR SKULLS FROM THEIR SPINES, AND TOSS THEM AWAY, LAUGHIN'!

Oh, I know what the ladies like... -Sarge Johnson

God have mercy on whatever alien race discovers this forum long after the human race destroys itself -Crisiss

Quotes from anywhere
Spoiler
[/quote]

#7 mmeier

mmeier

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 98 posts
  • Steam:mmeier1986
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 December 2015 - 04:51 AM

Hm. Back in Germany, just saw it a second time. And I think I need to revise my initial judgement.

Spoiler

So yeah...my initial assessment seems to have been coloured by a general "Yaaaaayyyyy, Star Wars!" feeling on my part. After seeing the film a second time I became quite disillusioned. A 3/10 at most.

What I would like to know: How did the film work for people who've never seen the previous episodes, or at least haven't read anything from the EU? Or just younger people, who haven't already spend nearly two decades with a kinds of Star Wars films, TV shows, games and especially books?

#8 Azo 'Salcam

Azo 'Salcam

Crewman

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • LocationLooking for Forerunner artifacts...

Posted 23 December 2015 - 09:01 AM

I saw it in a 70mm Imax screen, was not disappointed.

Also they were playing music in almost every single scene, not sure what you're on aboot skimisher...

Spoiler

I give an eight out of ten. Also, Skirmisher, nothing needed to be any louder. My ears were ringing after some battle scenes.

Hmmm....must have been the theater I was in then. I'll definitely need to watch it somewhere else, so I can get the same experience you guys and gals got.

Spoiler

Spoilered that gif for ya... -Sloose

#9 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • Steam:SternuS
  • LocationItaly

Posted 24 December 2015 - 03:35 AM

I can't believe I'm saying this right now, but holy shit, this movie was bad.

Spoiler

Overall, this movie could've been a masterpiece, but the poor characterisation of 4 protagonists out of 5 sinks this movie's experience.

Disappointed.

c048b5cb018d634cb3a0d9bd3617eb50-d547q01

Peter Jackson, 27/07/2013: 1.08 am. A 20 hour day ... 15 years of Tolkien ... 771 days of shooting ...

"We would be fools to pursue the impossible simply because you believe the achievable is flawed" - Ugin

#10 Aunt Gruntie

Aunt Gruntie

Sterilized Food Nipples!

• Contributor
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 04:35 PM

kinda spoilerish theory about 7:

Spoiler

@SturnuS/mmeier

Spoiler

• chiefship, Fleet Admiral agigabyte and Azo 'Salcam like this

#11 Zero

Zero

HHF Lead Dev

• Contributor
  • 1,808 posts
  • LocationKent, Washington, USA

Posted 25 December 2015 - 11:46 AM

i rate a solid 9/11 for explosive ending

qqpudUa.gif

Spoiler

Spoiler

#12 Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Fleet Admiral agigabyte

• Authorized Playtester
  • 1,723 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 01:03 PM

i rate a solid 9/11 for explosive ending

/rekt

Spoiler

God have mercy on whatever alien race discovers this forum long after the human race destroys itself -Crisiss

Quotes from anywhere
Spoiler
[/quote]

#13 Whitehalomango

Whitehalomango

That One White Guy

• White Name
  • 1,141 posts
  • Steam:bluehalomango
  • LocationSydney HighCom Facility Bravo-6

Posted 02 January 2016 - 03:43 AM

I finally saw it while going on a roadtrip around and I have to say it was pretty good. I think the main thing that annoyed me was how quickly they killed of 'The Republic'. It should have being a sad moment when a few trillion people died but we have no idea about them, like how are they helping the rebels, what kind of people they are, etc. The entire Republic and a few trillion people were only in the movie to showcase a new Death Star. The other thing is how weak the Rebels are. I could have sworn they had a massive fleet a movie ago and now, now they have like 10 X-wings on a little planet somewhere.What happened man? When did things go so wrong?

• DGaius and SternuS like this

I learn from the past, enjoy the present and look forward to the future.

Remember Off-Topic!

#14 Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Fleet Admiral agigabyte

• Authorized Playtester
  • 1,723 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 01:38 AM

I finally saw it while going on a roadtrip around and I have to say it was pretty good. I think the main thing that annoyed me was how quickly they killed of 'The Republic'. It should have being a sad moment when a few trillion people died but we have no idea about them, like how are they helping the rebels, what kind of people they are, etc. The entire Republic and a few trillion people were only in the movie to showcase a new Death Star. The other thing is how weak the Rebels are. I could have sworn they had a massive fleet a movie ago and now, now they have like 10 X-wings on a little planet somewhere.What happened man? When did things go so wrong?

No, they're the Resistance now. Totally different.

Although yeah, I agree with everything you said.

Quotes from anywhere
Spoiler
[/quote]

#15 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • Steam:KhevaKins
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 03 January 2016 - 07:17 AM

I think they didn't explain what the Resistance was and what the difference was between the New Republic, Rebels and Resistance. What follows is what I have pieced together. Might make sense, might not.

Spoiler

Spoiler

led203_crashed_0.pngled203.jpg

#16 Aunt Gruntie

Aunt Gruntie

Sterilized Food Nipples!

• Contributor
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 11:26 AM

Spoiler

I thought the same thing, but, well, it looked really cool seeing it from their perspective on a planet so there's that.

#17 Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Fleet Admiral agigabyte

• Authorized Playtester
  • 1,723 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 09:29 PM

I thought the same thing, but, well, it looked really cool seeing it from their perspective on a planet so there's that.

Normally the Rule Of Cool isn't my thing but this time it was.

Quotes from anywhere
Spoiler
[/quote]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users