13 replies to this topic

#1 Calm_Craftman

Calm_Craftman

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 76 posts
  • Locationrip

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:03 PM

Instead of Planet bombing wouldn't it be cool to see pelicans and the firebase ships from halo wars look as if they are landing on planet gradually lowering its health and then capturing it? A few ships in particular talk of ground forces, but just nuke the planet.
Im Retard

#2 Emberblaque

Emberblaque

Commander

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,356 posts
  • LocationThonotosassa, FL

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:27 PM

We used to have a particle effect with Pelicans for planetary bombardment, but it's not in the mod anymore. I imagine we'll get a similar effect in one of these days. As for including the pre-fab bases from Halo Wars, that's up for discussion.
  • Calm_Craftman likes this

#3 Calm_Craftman

Calm_Craftman

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 76 posts
  • Locationrip

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:31 PM

Thanks for the quick reply and I'm loving the mod so far!
Im Retard

#4 Wikia

Wikia

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 91 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:35 PM

Relevant Question: Is it possible to make it that if the Pelican particle effects are brought back in, that your bombardment 'invades' and only attacks the population of the planet, allowing you to retake the infrastructure that your enemy already had in place?
"I'm not a terrorist, I'm a pirate."

#5 Guest_Golly_*

Guest_Golly_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:24 AM

That seems impossible and like a bad idea.

#6 Giggles616

Giggles616

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:10 PM

I do think that if they do have dropships landing on planets as a distinct ability to planet bombing, it should take longer and actually cost resuouces to invade and land troops then just bomb planets.

The reasoning is that if some goes through the effort of landing stuff then they should actually get the planet without haveing to colonise it first and perhaps get any logistical or population upgrades that the previous owner had bought. This should however be balanced by by having it take more time then just bombing, inaddition to having either what the invading player receives dependent on the level of the ability used by the Capital ship (or other ship) or the health of the planet, This means that the more intact the planet when you take it the more stuff you get out of it, but the more health the planet has the more resouces and time it should take to capture it (meaning a really heavily fortified world that is invaded without prelimary bombardment should take ages to capture). Another possible balancing factor is that it the invasion ability could be very weak to start with and with research get better, this could be counterd by haveing research that debuffed the invasion used on planets controlled by players that have completed that research(or make planets resistant to invasion). one last possible modifier is that if the invading player doesn't own the space in the contested planets gravity well (having removed all of the defending player's ships and tactical structues) then the invasion should take longer as well. This would mean while a player could expend huge amounts of resouces invading worlds to get the civilian infrastructure omre or less intact, most player would be more likely to try and secure the gravity well, then bomb the planet for a little while so when they do land troops they get some stuff but it also takes a more reasonable amount of time.

One last thought is that invading planet could also be race specific. This is beause while invading a planet does sound like something that the UNSC would do it dosen't feel like it is something the covenant would do unless there was something on the planet they wanted. Well that is atleast what I remember from the books I could be wrong as it has been a fair amount of time since I last read the actual war-era books (pre-halo 4).

I am not sure if the suggestions I made are even possible or useful, but those are my thoughts on the subject.

#7 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:23 PM

should i say it before any of the devs?

*dramatic pause*

ok. HARDCODING.
  • Giggles616 likes this

#8 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:26 AM

Yah from what I understand the developers have run into the usual Sins hard coding not letting them do most of that. An another thing, if one were to actually invade a planet the resulting battle and the supporting fire , ie air strikes, artillery, and tank fire would do quite a bit of damage to the planet's infrastructure as a whole. Just a fact of war.
"Japan received freedom so hard it was atomizing." -VDNKh
Spoiler

#9 Guest_Golly_*

Guest_Golly_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:05 AM

Yeppp damn you Ironclad. :DDD

#10 TheOtherXtremeRoflcopter

TheOtherXtremeRoflcopter

Petty Officer Third Class

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationTrapped in my computer, please send help!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:08 PM

We used to have a particle effect with Pelicans for planetary bombardment, but it's not in the mod anymore. I imagine we'll get a similar effect in one of these days. As for including the pre-fab bases from Halo Wars, that's up for discussion.

Wouldn't the way that a colony ship launches those boxes (the generic ones from TEC) be similar to the pre-fab firebases?
"When I joined the Corps, we didn't have any fancy-schmanzy tanks. We had sticks! Two sticks, and a rock for the whole platoon—and we had to share the rock! Buck up, boy, you are one very lucky marine!" - Sergeant Avery Johnson.

#11 Emberblaque

Emberblaque

Commander

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,356 posts
  • LocationThonotosassa, FL

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:49 PM

Wouldn't the way that a colony ship launches those boxes (the generic ones from TEC) be similar to the pre-fab firebases?

Sure, it's definitely possible. But they look the way they do because the pre-fab base concept works for Halo Wars, since it's a ground-based RTS. The mod leads may not like their appearance, so it's up to them, the modeler, and the particle effects guy if it gets modeled and made into a particle effect. Also, they may not consider it general-purpose enough, since those bases were just that, bases, not the myriad other things that a carrier might drop. The D82-EST Darter or D96-TCE Albatross might make more sense.

#12 TheOtherXtremeRoflcopter

TheOtherXtremeRoflcopter

Petty Officer Third Class

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationTrapped in my computer, please send help!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:23 PM

Sure, it's definitely possible. But they look the way they do because the pre-fab base concept works for Halo Wars, since it's a ground-based RTS. The mod leads may not like their appearance, so it's up to them, the modeler, and the particle effects guy if it gets modeled and made into a particle effect. Also, they may not consider it general-purpose enough, since those bases were just that, bases, not the myriad other things that a carrier might drop. The D82-EST Darter or D96-TCE Albatross might make more sense.

Well if it is possible then when the future finally arrives MAKE IT HAPPEN PLZKTHNXBAI :D
"When I joined the Corps, we didn't have any fancy-schmanzy tanks. We had sticks! Two sticks, and a rock for the whole platoon—and we had to share the rock! Buck up, boy, you are one very lucky marine!" - Sergeant Avery Johnson.

#13 Calm_Craftman

Calm_Craftman

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 76 posts
  • Locationrip

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:40 PM

what if it was an ability to speed lowering a planets health? like the krosov's heavy fallout ability with the particle effects of pelicans/odst pods. Not only would it look awesome with huge explosions everywhere, but the Berlin Class captain who talks about his hordes of troops would actually use them.
Im Retard

#14 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:37 PM

what if it was an ability to speed lowering a planets health? like the krosov's heavy fallout ability with the particle effects of pelicans/odst pods. Not only would it look awesome with huge explosions everywhere, but the Berlin Class captain who talks about his hordes of troops would actually use them.

this exists, its called bombardment cooldown

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users