#1 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • Steam:SternuS
  • LocationItaly

Posted 15 June 2016 - 12:56 PM

This would be the thread in which we discuss HW2 gameplay (and possibly story).

To start off, I have only fought three matches, due to time constraints. In the first match I used, obviously, Cutter, but my teammate was “braindead” for half of the game up until he dropped, leaving me in a two-to-one ratio, so I’ll let you guess how that ended.

In the second match, my teammate was a little less inactive, but he still didn’t even get to create the second base and did little to no battles, so we lost miserably.

In the third match, knowing it would’ve been the last one of the day, I tried the Banished. And obviously I won.

Obviously, because, as anyone who played some multy in the first Wars, Banshee + Repair unit = GG WP. If I’m not mistaken they have the boost ability already unlocked, which means a minor micro here and there and you’ll have a very hard-to-beat army.

Now, sadly I didn’t get to try every unit in both rosters (heck, for the Banished I even forgot there was an infantry-related building, so I only produced Grunts), but some of them I did get to operate.

Starting with UNSC: what can I say, classic UNSC, relies on “mechs” with long-range and AOE weapons + support from the infantry. I can’t wait for the (I apologize, I don’t remember all of the names) “siege tank”, the one that deploys and gets range bonus, to be able to hold off EVERYTHING with enough air support, and consequently be nerfed.

The jackrabbit is a promising vehicle, especially if it will behave in a similar fashion to the Hellion from SCII, which means fast incursions, hit-and-run tactics against lesser defended points, e.g. generators, small firebases, etc. etc.

Snipers are also awesome to use, while for the flamethrowers I have to wait and try them more.

Now, onto the Banished: I love the design, except for the…Reaver? Their walker. A bipedal walker is not in-style with the Covenant. But its use…I can already taste the micro-ing of having them jump off and on cliffs to get out of range from certain units…oh yes.

The “tank” is promising, the Banshees are awesome as always, the “hide-and-repair” unit is interesting. Sadly I didn’t get to try the new heavy-hitter, nor the Wraith, nor ANY infantry except basic Grunts. I got to use some Warlords, and oh boy they’re smashing shit out of everything, just like a good Brute with a hammer.

Overall, I had an incredibly pleasing experience, probably due to my love for strategic games, but also because it seems soo much fun (just like the original, with less 13-Engineers-and-two-Scarabs BS)

P.S. obligatory SotP group in the future…Oh man oh man I’m so excited, can’t wait to smash you with MUH ELITES

P.P.S. As I have had another three-matches round today, I've managed to use some more units.

The Blisterback, if paired with a Huragok and anit-vehicle infantry, is a wrecking ball. It can be quite powerful if wielded correctly.

AND THE POWERS! I almost forgot about them. Well, that's due to the games being so fast-paced. I hope it's just this mode, 'cause I like my strategy games to allow me to play how I want. The powers are amazing and unique, and I didn't get to try them all. I had underestimated the "plasma mine(s)" ability for the Banished, but I gladly found out that I was mistaken.

I am absolutely going to get the ultimate edition, this game looks funny and promising.

• Fleet Admiral agigabyte likes this

c048b5cb018d634cb3a0d9bd3617eb50-d547q01

Peter Jackson, 27/07/2013: 1.08 am. A 20 hour day ... 15 years of Tolkien ... 771 days of shooting ...

"We would be fools to pursue the impossible simply because you believe the achievable is flawed" - Ugin

#2 Whitehalomango

Whitehalomango

That One White Guy

• White Name
  • 1,141 posts
  • Steam:bluehalomango
  • LocationSydney HighCom Facility Bravo-6

Posted 15 June 2016 - 03:46 PM

So I'm not the only person that has had to deal with braindead allies...The funny thing is in one mission with said ally, I can only assume that the enemy thought I was dead as well because one of them left later in the game, allowing me to steal the win in the most unexpected comeback. Don't get cocky! I've lost count of the amount of times the enemy has sent their entire army at me to only be annihilated in seconds, allowing me to then steamroll everything... Pretty fun beta!

I learn from the past, enjoy the present and look forward to the future.

Remember Off-Topic!

#3 Sookendestroy1

Sookendestroy1

3D Artist

• Mod Staff
  • 85 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 05:18 PM

I've played several matches, between having players drop, never leave base etc. I've won every legitimate match. I hate how its only dominion as it makes it a lot harder to get the higher tier units, I got a scorpion once as the match ended lol. The thing with dominion is that you can just spam basic infantry and as long as your team mate isnt turtling you'll win just through overwhelming numbers controlling points. I've enjoyed the beta (Except for all the bugs/crashes and weird inconsistencies) and am really excited for the brute designs, though i'd love to have a skirmish mode. gotta hope the campaign is amazing, im sure it will be seeing blurs work along with the story so far, just annoying that the main characters have the mocap actors faces instead of the lore ones, but im sure it'll be great nonetheless.

87598435209fc7b5d06a99b124fd8a27.png

#4 Whitehalomango

Whitehalomango

That One White Guy

• White Name
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 05:26 PM

Vulture spam all the way!

Remember Off-Topic!

#5 Sookendestroy1

Sookendestroy1

3D Artist

• Mod Staff
  • 85 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 06:26 PM

I was able to just spam infantry and vultures were worthless lol, and on a side note, dat brute lich tho

#6 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 16 June 2016 - 07:35 AM

I've played several matches, between having players drop, never leave base etc. I've won every legitimate match. I hate how its only dominion as it makes it a lot harder to get the higher tier units, I got a scorpion once as the match ended lol. The thing with dominion is that you can just spam basic infantry and as long as your team mate isnt turtling you'll win just through overwhelming numbers controlling points. I've enjoyed the beta (Except for all the bugs/crashes and weird inconsistencies) and am really excited for the brute designs, though i'd love to have a skirmish mode. gotta hope the campaign is amazing, im sure it will be seeing blurs work along with the story so far, just annoying that the main characters have the mocap actors faces instead of the lore ones, but im sure it'll be great nonetheless.

Skirmish is coming I think either today or tomorrow, replacing Dominion. So I hope we'll be able to build more expensive units and see some big battles.

Peter Jackson, 27/07/2013: 1.08 am. A 20 hour day ... 15 years of Tolkien ... 771 days of shooting ...

"We would be fools to pursue the impossible simply because you believe the achievable is flawed" - Ugin

#7 Sookendestroy1

Sookendestroy1

3D Artist

• Mod Staff
  • 85 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 10:38 AM

I thought it was just another map and the same gamemode, but if its skirmish I know what i'm doing today.

#8 cagywhiterino

cagywhiterino

Petty Officer Third Class

• Members
  • 298 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 16 June 2016 - 11:31 AM

It's death match on a different map, and once I find the link I'll show you all of the game modes coming into HW2, which btw includes skirmish:) so far I enjoy the beta but I also feel like I need some more late game time, but death match tomorrow will certainly do that for me!

We regret being alien bastards! We regret coming to earth! But we most definitely regret that the corps just blew up our raggedy ass fleet! - Sargent Avery J Johnson  

#9 Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Necromancer Supreme, agig did 9/11 2015

• Authorized Playtester
  • 1,723 posts
  • Steam:Fleet Admiral agigabyte
  • LocationUNSC Skrubtester

Posted 16 June 2016 - 11:45 AM

So fun. Played with Cole in one match and another friend in several others. Going Cutter/Atriox is great. Atriox rushes everything with Infantry, while Cutter rushes Hornets. Ten Hornets, with one piloted by Jerome, is beautiful. 

WE WILL RIP THEIR SKULLS FROM THEIR SPINES, AND TOSS THEM AWAY, LAUGHIN'!

Oh, I know what the ladies like... -Sarge Johnson

God have mercy on whatever alien race discovers this forum long after the human race destroys itself -Crisiss

Quotes from anywhere
Spoiler
[/quote]

#10 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 16 June 2016 - 12:08 PM

Anyone successfully deployed the Blisterback and used it with effect? When it flies it's okay, but I want to know what is its attack when deployed, what is it strong against, etc.

#11 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 16 June 2016 - 02:11 PM

Skirmish is coming I think either today or tomorrow, replacing Dominion. So I hope we'll be able to build more expensive units and see some big battles.

Skirmish is the private/local variant of the game. Custom games, if you will. Deathmatch is what is coming, where you fight until somebody loses all of their bases.

I thought it was just another map and the same gamemode, but if its skirmish I know what i'm doing today.

It's deathmatch, not skirmish.  

So fun. Played with Cole in one match and another friend in several others. Going Cutter/Atriox is great. Atriox rushes everything with Infantry, while Cutter rushes Hornets. Ten Hornets, with one piloted by Jerome, is beautiful.

Nah fam it's all about that infantry spam. 

Anyone successfully deployed the Blisterback and used it with effect? When it flies it's okay, but I want to know what is its attack when deployed, what is it strong against, etc.

The Blisterback turns into an artillery piece and seems to be a kill-all type thing. Haven't seen any noticeable effectiveness against any particular unit but it seems good all around. Hoping we see a Scarab or something similar still.
  • SternuS likes this

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear - Marcus Aurelius

Spoiler

Spoiler

#12 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 17 June 2016 - 12:39 AM

Skirmish is the private/local variant of the game. Custom games, if you will. Deathmatch is what is coming, where you fight until somebody loses all of their bases.It's deathmatch, not skirmish.  Nah fam it's all about that infantry spam. The Blisterback turns into an artillery piece and seems to be a kill-all type thing. Haven't seen any noticeable effectiveness against any particular unit but it seems good all around. Hoping we see a Scarab or something similar still.

Yeah I meant deathmatch, sorry.

Unless those things in the background of the Cover are Blisterbacks out of scale, I think we'll see Scarabs.

#13 Whitehalomango

Whitehalomango

That One White Guy

• White Name
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 06:47 AM

Tried some Deathmatch but man are people bad. Half the games I've had at least one ally/enemy has left or is completely dead. The other times they just sit in their base slowly building an army. Doesn't anyone know how to expand? Within the first few minutes of the game I already have around 2 or more outposts, several forerunner generators and sometimes a second base before others even leave their base...It makes me sad. All this time playing SotP and CoH 2 has honed my expanding skills.

Remember Off-Topic!

#14 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 17 June 2016 - 06:58 AM

Tried some Deathmatch but man are people bad. Half the games I've had at least one ally/enemy has left or is completely dead. The other times they just sit in their base slowly building an army. Doesn't anyone know how to expand? Within the first few minutes of the game I already have around 2 or more outposts, several forerunner generators and sometimes a second base before others even leave their base...It makes me sad. All this time playing SotP and CoH 2 has honed my expanding skills.

Same here. I've not tried the Deathmatch yet, but yesterday I've played a couple of games, and my allies always thought we were doing Deathmatch, so they went for the enemy bases directly. I hope they'll solve this issue.

The positive fact about us making a group is that we're going to ROFLstomp most of our enemies!

#15 Whitehalomango

Whitehalomango

That One White Guy

• White Name
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 09:28 AM

Is it possible to play the Beta with, well, friends? Is there an option to invite people and what not? 

• cagywhiterino likes this

Remember Off-Topic!

#16 cagywhiterino

cagywhiterino

Petty Officer Third Class

• Members
  • 298 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 17 June 2016 - 12:37 PM

Is it possible to play the Beta with, well, friends? Is there an option to invite people and what not?

yes, but only one other

We regret being alien bastards! We regret coming to earth! But we most definitely regret that the corps just blew up our raggedy ass fleet! - Sargent Avery J Johnson  

#17 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 17 June 2016 - 07:07 PM

Unless those things in the background of the Cover are Blisterbacks out of scale, I think we'll see Scarabs.

I thought this at first but if you look to the left of the walker on the right, you'll see a blisterback in artillery mode which is clearly quite smaller.

Giant walker of doom confirmed.

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear - Marcus Aurelius

Spoiler

Spoiler

#18 Sookendestroy1

Sookendestroy1

3D Artist

• Mod Staff
  • 85 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 08:00 PM

So I played my first match of deathmatch and I loved it, felt so much like the original, its weird that they got rid of the supply lifts, atleast in the beta maps, and it seems like the cover mechanic is gone except for the garrison points, which sucks cause they were major strategic elements from the first. and this time I was able to get 3 scorpions! before I got rushed by a million brutes

#19 Whitehalomango

Whitehalomango

That One White Guy

• White Name
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 07:31 AM

Seeing as this thread is about Halo Wars 2, I thought I might talk a bit about the story. Found out something QUITE interesting...After watching a few videos, it seems people have spotted what appears to be a Halo ring on the Ark.

VJ7eH8w.jpg

So, Halo on the Ark. You think they making yet ANOTHER Installation 04?

Remember Off-Topic!

#20 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 18 June 2016 - 09:46 AM

Or that's Installation 04B that fell into the forge, maybe after the activation its grav engines stopped working...?

Don't know, I don't want to think that's a Halo, I won't believe it 'till I'll see it in the games.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users