#1 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • Steam:KhevaKins
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:49 PM

"This is the prototype NOVA Bomb, nine fusion warheads encased in lithium triteride armor. When detonated, it compresses its fissionable material to neutron-star density, boosting the thermonuclear yield a hundredfold. I am Vice Admiral Danforth Whitcomb, temporarily in command of the UNSC military base Reach. To the Covenant uglies that might be listening, you have a few seconds to pray to your damned heathen gods. You all have a nice day in hell..." — Vice Admiral Danforth Whitcomb's recording on the NOVA bomb.

NOVA bombs... the big boom boom nukes, capable of destroying planets. I think these should be put into the game when transferred to Rebellion.

The vasari have the ability called Stripped to the Core that destroys a planet for a big resource boost and turns the planet into an asteroid belt. I suggest having the NOVA do the same thing. Turning planets into asteroid belts but have it cost a lot of resources and credits rather then boost resources. Have it destroy planets and turn them into mega asteroid fields. The same size or preferably bigger then the custom SOTP asteroid belts in terms of how many asteroids occupy it.

You can sacrifice the planets in a protected/controlled region of space that aren't, say, generating enough credits or so forth. You would be sacrificing the planet and credits for the chance to increase your resource income per sec, so short term loss long term gain because of the high cost of using the ability. You also couldn't use it to screw over other players because you don't get a big resource boost, it cost a lot and the gravity well remains just as useful or more useful then it was before.

The high cost is because the NOVA is/was a prototype, reportedly, and, also, so it doesn't wreck the game play. Also if used in conjurer with the planned resource per sec boost ability of the Anchor Station (hope that is still coming) this could fit perfectly with the fast paced gameplay that SOTP is aiming for.

So. What you think?

That is all.
Spoiler

led203_crashed_0.pngled203.jpg

#2 Bornstellaris

Bornstellaris

The Winter Soldier

• Mod Staff
  • 1,533 posts
  • Steam:Bornstellaris
  • LocationCivil War

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:32 PM

That is a good idea, I still think it would be good as an offensive weapon, could it possibly be launched from the infinity at a super high cost

"But I knew him" 

- Bucky Barnes

Spoiler

#3 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:38 PM

It could be used offensively but I think it should be used more strategically. Sacrificing some planets and their credit income at a high price for a long term boost to your resource income from mining the Mega Asteroid field left behind.
Spoiler

#4 Bornstellaris

Bornstellaris

The Winter Soldier

• Mod Staff
  • 1,533 posts
  • LocationCivil War

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:12 PM

But you would lose any ability to defend that planet, as in place new defenses if old one get destroyed

"But I knew him" 

- Bucky Barnes

Spoiler

#5 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:41 AM

That is why you choose well defended planets to turn into resources factories. And could also be used against enemy planets for the same reason. They would be harder to defend.
Spoiler

#6 Bornstellaris

Bornstellaris

The Winter Soldier

• Mod Staff
  • 1,533 posts
  • LocationCivil War

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:51 AM

Eh, I don't think the nova will be in if I understand the devs current position

"But I knew him" 

- Bucky Barnes

Spoiler

#7 Dianno5741

Dianno5741

Chief Petty Officer

• Members
  • 581 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:33 AM

ehhh the mod takes place in 2542 (i believe) I dont think the NOVA was really created into 2550s

bDNWw7L.png

#8 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:13 AM

Which is why I said the Rebellion release. Also Fall of Reach they definitely had NOVA's which is 2552, so it is possible they were already developing/prototyping NOVA's in 2542.
Spoiler

#9 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • Steam:Unikraken
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:09 PM

You have to take into consideration the point of view of the player using the Covenant. This is severely overpowered for a mod like ours. It may make it into Rebellion, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I'm not a fan of superweapons in the conventional sense.
  • PrestonCole and Wikia like this

[10:46:02 PM] VDNKh: Piercing Lance
[10:46:11 PM] VDNKh: fitting name for the ship that just fucked me

"Unikraken can soothe any nasties."

#10 PrestonCole

PrestonCole

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 41 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:36 PM

Superweapons don't seem as fun as they would appear to be, makes the game to easy and short.
  • Unikraken, Moo Cow Banshee and MasterOfShips like this

#11 Emberblaque

Emberblaque

Commander

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,356 posts
  • LocationThonotosassa, FL

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:42 PM

Superweapons don't seem as fun as they would appear to be, makes the game to easy and short.

They aren't so much for fun as ending stalemates. If we're doing our jobs right there will not be any or there will rarely be any stalemates.
  • PrestonCole likes this

#12 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:58 PM

there will not be any or there will rarely be any stalemates.

you either steamroll or get steamrolled. UNSC vs UNSC does not show that off very well admittedly

#13 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:18 PM

You have to take into consideration the point of view of the player using the Covenant. This is severely overpowered for a mod like ours. It may make it into Rebellion, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I'm not a fan of superweapons in the conventional sense.

It isn't really being used as a weapon in the way I want to use it. It is more like an economy booster that destroys planets. And if you destroy a covy planet and they take the gravity well back then they have a Mega Asteroid field to use. It would speed up game-play cause it allows you to sacrifice under performing planets and turn them into highly profitable asteroid fields.
Spoiler

#14 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • Steam:Unikraken
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:52 PM

A: That's not the canon use of the NOVA, so why would put it in for that reason?

B: Doing this to an enemies major production world or major hub would be pretty devastating. Why bust your mac wall when I can NOVA you instead?

To be completely honest, you're not going to say anything that convinces me any differently. We'll talk behind the lines, AFTER the Entrenchment release, probably with the playtesters too, about whether this is a good idea. We'd have to come up with some equally terrible Covenant superweapon.

Posted Image

[10:46:02 PM] VDNKh: Piercing Lance
[10:46:11 PM] VDNKh: fitting name for the ship that just fucked me

"Unikraken can soothe any nasties."

#15 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:03 PM

I don't mean this should be the alternative to the Novalith cannon. It would have to be deployed by a ship. I also know it isn't exactly canon but it seems like a cool way to implement the NOVA without making it crazy powerful.
Spoiler

#16 Wikia

Wikia

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 91 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:05 AM

What if the NOVA was a Titan ability in Rebellion that just did absurd amounts of bombardment damage and left an asteroid where the planet used to be? (like the strip planet ability of the Vasari Loyalists only weaponized)
"I'm not a terrorist, I'm a pirate."

#17 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:14 AM

That is what we are talking about. Except when people actual use it in vanilla it fucks your shit up rather annoying. I was trying to get it implemented without it being a total dick move when you use it.
Spoiler

#18 MrChipps

MrChipps

Having a beer with Colonel Jack O'Neill

• Contributor
  • 789 posts
  • LocationThe Commonwealth wasteland

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:18 AM

The NOVA was designed as the ultimate butthurt weapon, using it is going to be a dick move no matter what you say because it was designed to......well....hurt butts really badly.

-Hey look, you have a planet with a massive covenant armada in orbit
-I have a NOVA aaaaaand now you don't have a massive armada to protect your worlds with anymore, lol sorry bro......
-_-
Sweden can into gender!

#19 Calm_Craftman

Calm_Craftman

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 76 posts
  • Locationrip

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:00 PM

Canonically it destroyed half of the the fleet that destroyed reach and Glassed/Destroyed a neighboring moon!
Im Retard

#20 Guest_Golly 1st Earl Oxford VC_*

Guest_Golly 1st Earl Oxford VC_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:20 AM

No such thing as overkill.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users