• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:41 AM

So, I always put a supercarrier at the center of my fleet, its kind of the backbone for the rest of the ships, and i always treat it like my flagship. The problem is, it doesnt have any fleet supporting abilities (excluding the repair drones ability).

So, i have been working on an idea for a replacement ability, heres what ive come up with

Level 1 (unlocked when supercarrier reaches Level 4)

1% damage propogation buff
1% max speed buff
2% acceleration buff
1% bombardment cooldown buff
2% damage reduction buff
1% weapon cooldown buff

Level 2 (unlocked when supercarrier reaches Level 7)

2% damage propogation buff
2% max speed buff
4% acceleration buff
2% bombardment cooldown buff
4% damage reduction buff
2% weapon cooldown buff

Level 3 (unlocked when supercarrier reaches Level 10)

3% damage propogation buff
3% max speed buff
6% acceleration buff
3% bombardment cooldown buff
6% damage reduction buff
3% weapon cooldown buff

The point of this is to give the same buffs as the charon, mako, paris, berlin, and thanatos buffs, except in one package. Now, this might be a little OP, so ive come up with a way to balance this

This ability will require you to have researched the mako corvette, the paris frigate, the berlin frigate, the thanatos destroyer, and the supercarrier. Otherwise, it will not provide its buffs.

Also, this ability will not stack for every supercarrier you have. So to anyone who loves spamming supercarriers, you will not get a bunch of high level buffs on your ships if you do this.

Tell me what you think, and if you have any thoughts or suggestions about it.

#2 Dhoulmegus

Dhoulmegus

Some Kind of Sorcerer

• Inactive Staff
  • 253 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:12 PM

I'd say, it seems like a good idea. Right now the supercarrier doesn't seem worth the cost, I can easily (and more cheaply) spam a different kind of capital.
  • Defender0 likes this
Don't read this signature.

#3 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:54 PM

Thats exactly why i thought it needed an ability such as this. Currently, the Thermopylae seems to be a VERY powerful marathon cruiser with a shiva, and more strikecraft

#4 Dianno5741

Dianno5741

Chief Petty Officer

• Members
  • 581 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:12 PM

Ok so that begs the question, who gets the ion bolt?

bDNWw7L.png

#5 Dhoulmegus

Dhoulmegus

Some Kind of Sorcerer

• Inactive Staff
  • 253 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:37 PM

Ok so that begs the question, who gets the ion bolt?

I don't think we need it, the shiva already has the same properties.
  • Unikraken and mhdalyn like this

#6 mhdalyn

mhdalyn

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 37 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:11 PM

Why not give it a new and unique ability that the others don't provide? Like the heavy strike craft ability of the vanilla TEC carrier?

#7 Dhoulmegus

Dhoulmegus

Some Kind of Sorcerer

• Inactive Staff
  • 253 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:16 PM

Why not give it a new and unique ability that the others don't provide? Like the heavy strike craft ability of the vanilla TEC carrier?

One thing that Defender is trying to accomplish by proposing this replacement ability is giving the supercarrier the feel of a flagship. That is basically what it is, but it currently has nothing to contribute to the fleet except its repair ability and firepower.
  • Unikraken likes this

#8 mhdalyn

mhdalyn

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 37 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:32 PM

I understand that. The problem is that in a fleet that is worthy of such a flagship, this ability will likely be overruled by the superior buffs given from the fleet itself, unless this ability is going to stack with the fleet's. Even then, it would just be a drop in the bucket. Increasing a buff from 115% (or 112%) to 118% at max level doesn't sound all that awe-inspiring to me.

#9 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:37 PM

the buff im thinking about would stack alongside the rest of the fleet

#10 Dhoulmegus

Dhoulmegus

Some Kind of Sorcerer

• Inactive Staff
  • 253 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:03 PM

I understand that. The problem is that in a fleet that is worthy of such a flagship, this ability will likely be overruled by the superior buffs given from the fleet itself, unless this ability is going to stack with the fleet's. Even then, it would just be a drop in the bucket. Increasing a buff from 115% (or 112%) to 118% at max level doesn't sound all that awe-inspiring to me.

Currently buffs from the same ships types only stack up to 25%. I don't know where you got the 115% from. At max level the buff for the supercarrier would be 12x larger than one from a charon.

#11 mhdalyn

mhdalyn

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 37 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:25 PM

I had assumed when reading the buffs from the Thanatos and Mako that the max targets value was the maximum number of ships that would stack together. The Thanatos said 15, and the Mako said 6, which means that a 2% buff would stack 6 times to make 112%. If the caps for buffs are higher than I had assumed then I feel the ability is even less enticing. I suppose it's not a huge deal though. I'll just never put points into it, sorta like I do with Ion Bolt now.

#12 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:33 PM

I had assumed when reading the buffs from the Thanatos and Mako that the max targets value was the maximum number of ships that would stack together. The Thanatos said 15, and the Mako said 6, which means that a 2% buff would stack 6 times to make 112%. If the caps for buffs are higher than I had assumed then I feel the ability is even less enticing. I suppose it's not a huge deal though. I'll just never put points into it, sorta like I do with Ion Bolt now.

Just making sure I don't misunderstand...

2% * 6 = 12% not 112%... unless you're saying it's 12% + 100%
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#13 Dhoulmegus

Dhoulmegus

Some Kind of Sorcerer

• Inactive Staff
  • 253 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:35 PM

I understand the misinterpretation now. You are saying that the ships would be buffed 112% which is incorrect. They are being buffed only 12% (in your example), but their over-all stat would equal 112%.

#14 mhdalyn

mhdalyn

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 37 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:42 PM

Yes, by my understanding, it would be a 12% buff, for a total value of 112% of the original value. I like to represent it as a total percentage to remind myself and others that a 5% boost is only 105%. So something that does 20 damage per second goes up to a whopping 21.

#15 Dhoulmegus

Dhoulmegus

Some Kind of Sorcerer

• Inactive Staff
  • 253 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:45 PM

Yes, by my understanding, it would be a 12% buff, for a total value of 112% of the original value. I like to represent it as a total percentage to remind myself and others that a 5% boost is only 105%. So something that does 20 damage per second goes up to a whopping 21.

It would be boosted to that 105% value, but it would be spread throughout the entire fleet.

#16 mhdalyn

mhdalyn

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 37 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:52 PM

And at the same time, you could spend a fraction of the price of the supercarrier to get the same or better buff to your entire empire with a research. I think that a ship the fleet is built around shouldn't just do more of what the fleet built around it does. Of course, once titans roll in, and the Infinity says "Excuse me, Mr. Supercarrier, I think you're in my spot." this isn't really going to matter.

#17 Dhoulmegus

Dhoulmegus

Some Kind of Sorcerer

• Inactive Staff
  • 253 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:57 PM

And at the same time, you could spend a fraction of the price of the supercarrier to get the same or better buff to your entire empire with a research. I think that a ship the fleet is built around shouldn't just do more of what the fleet built around it does. Of course, once titans roll in, and the Infinity says "Excuse me, Mr. Supercarrier, I think you're in my spot." this isn't really going to matter.

I agree that the buff(s) that defender suggested are definantly not worth the cost, and different or better buffs/abilities would do more good and support the fleet more than a measly 5% would. I do like the idea, however, that the supercarrier should be seen and used as a flagship (at least for the current version), and that it shoud definantly provide support to the fleet.

#18 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:48 PM

That is why its for balancing. The ability im suggesting would affect every ship in the gravity well, while the other ships would have limited range. also, the buff for the supercarrier would also stack on top of the already existing buffs

#19 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • Steam:KhevaKins
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:18 AM

The 5% buff isn't that big but it is spread across an entire fleet. Make it so it buffs every other ship. So 5% buff is actually really big spread across a fleet of 150+ ships. And if it increases mac firing rates per minute then the 5% increase is also super helpful.
Spoiler

led203_crashed_0.pngled203.jpg

#20 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:37 PM

ok, let me clarify something with how the buffs would work. say you have a Mako corvette, and it supplied its 2% damage reduction buff. The Supercarrier would also supply its buff, adding another % of damage reduction, independant of the Mako. So, in the end, both ships add a buff.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users