9 replies to this topic

#1 mhdalyn

mhdalyn

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 37 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:05 AM

I feel like the bounty system is very unfitting for the concept of the flood. Is there currently a planned replacement for this system? I was thinking that it could be a system where a person generates "bounty" over time for every category for which they hold 1st rank in the in-game scoring system. I don't know how difficult this would be to code, though. Does anyone else have suggestions that don't involve dropping 30,000 credits on someone to keep them swarmed with flood for the rest of the game?

#2 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • Steam:Unikraken
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:20 AM

The game's engine is locked down, called hard coding, where we can't really change much of the underlying system. I've heard that we can remove the ability to place bounty on others, so that the pirates will just attack whomever they choose, so that will likely be what we end up doing. Other than that there isn't much we can do.

[10:46:02 PM] VDNKh: Piercing Lance
[10:46:11 PM] VDNKh: fitting name for the ship that just fucked me

"Unikraken can soothe any nasties."

#3 mhdalyn

mhdalyn

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 37 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:29 AM

YAY HARDCODING! Just having other players not placing bounty on my head would be good enough for me, really.

#4 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:21 AM

In all honesty, i like the explanation of "spending money to send the flood elsewhere" as an excuse for having the bounty system.

#5 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:24 AM

The game's engine is locked down, called hard coding, where we can't really change much of the underlying system. I've heard that we can remove the ability to place bounty on others, so that the pirates will just attack whomever they choose, so that will likely be what we end up doing. Other than that there isn't much we can do.

We can remove the UI from players, and maybe, *maybe* do a massive hack to disable AI placing bounty, but not easily... and yea that's the farthest we can go...

#cantdothatbecauseofhardcoding
  • Defender0 likes this
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#6 damn_tall_marine

damn_tall_marine

You killed the Chief! You bastards!

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:51 AM

I know for the halo lore that how the flood work currently isn't the greatest but I do like that feeling of out bidding a player and sending the flood to attack them and when they both wipe each other out launch my fleet in to mop up the last of resistance or burn the flood out and move into the unprotected systems off the front line. So in other words use the flood as an shock and awe tactic

#7 mhdalyn

mhdalyn

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 37 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:06 PM

If you accept a peace treaty with another faction, doesn't that disable the ability to place bounty on their heads? Could you isolate that part of the peace treaty and make it true for all players?

#8 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:09 PM

If you accept a peace treaty with another faction, doesn't that disable the ability to place bounty on their heads? Could you isolate that part of the peace treaty and make it true for all players?

Ouch... that's really hardcoded... that wouldn't work either. I've got a couple ideas I'm playing with tho - Gotta test those when I get a chance

Third time this day...
  • Unikraken and Defender0 like this
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#9 damn_tall_marine

damn_tall_marine

You killed the Chief! You bastards!

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:10 PM

Ouch... that's really hardcoded... that wouldn't work either. I've got a couple ideas I'm playing with tho - Gotta test those when I get a chance

Third time this day...

Damn this hard coding!

#10 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • Steam:KhevaKins
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:29 PM

That sounds fine. As long as IT NEVER EVER attacked the same player twice. OR just leave it and change the reason like "ONI sector 9 (Based on Flood research) requests funds to research flood dissuasion and prevention tactics and methods."
Spoiler

led203_crashed_0.pngled203.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users