47 replies to this topic

#1 CanadaMan7

CanadaMan7

Commander-in-Chief

• Administrators
  • 1,247 posts
  • LocationCharleston, SC

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:17 PM

So as I was browsing around the internet, I noticed this piece of news.
Posted Image
Apparently, Rebellion is getting a piece of DLC, which is being pumped out by next month. That's not all though, there's expected to be more. This has been sort of unexpected, as I thought SoaSE was basically a dead franchise for the most part by now.

This raises the question:
Does the community want us or expect us to support this? I want to ensure that we reach the maximum number of people possible, but I can't judge if we should incorporate the DLC right off the bat or go the "wait for another version of the mod" approach like we did with Entrenchment. Thoughts on the matter?
  • Bornstellaris and SternuS like this

yLM4TEk.png

#2 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:35 PM

I think it would be ok to support it if enough people want it, the rebellion stuff hasnt even been started on so moving to a DLC of it wont be that hard at all. On top of that, its going to be only 5 dollars which is pretty cheap.

#3 Rovert10

Rovert10

Balance Team

• Mod Staff
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:41 PM

Hey it's better than a lot of DLC for other games which were just cosmetic items...

SoaSE is not dead but more or less stagnant. Its place in Steam probably has a lot to do with it being afloat right now and the fact that a ton of the top mods on moddb are for SoaSE if you're one of those people.

#4 Kommrad II

Kommrad II

Ask me about those ship icons.

• Banned
  • 223 posts
  • LocationNEV-AH-DUH

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:59 PM

DLC for a cool space game? Why the hell not?

"Groovy."

Ask me about those ships icons I owe Unikraken.

#5 JasonAHawkins

JasonAHawkins

Loves Bornsteller, who wouldn't?

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:22 PM

I think it is a good idea to support this in the future. Let me quote the article.

"New Planet Specialization System: Dedicate your worlds to either social or industrial output. Devoting your planet to social improvements will increase its population and culture, at the cost of trade income and ship production. Choosing an industrial path will limit your growth and culture, but make your planet a trading and ship building powerhouse."

I think that gives a lot more options just on its own for either earn lots of trade or spam frigates. From my interpretation of the quote i believe it will be per planet so you could have trader core worlds and industrial outer worlds so that if you lose a decked out desert industrial planet it will feel like you lost a part of yourself. I see a lot of potential in this DLC and i think it'd be great if it was supported off the bat and unless you're some cheapskate or flat out broke you have few reasons not to buy it.
Bornsteller is so good of a modeler that he should be on the cover of Victoria Secret.™

#6 CoSSpartan058

CoSSpartan058

Original Badass

• Contributor
  • 241 posts
  • LocationONI Facility, Reach

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:26 PM

Sounds interesting but I would wait to see how it is received. Will the community buy this or ignore it. For $5 I think people will buy it but you never know.
Posted Image

#7 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • Steam:KhevaKins
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:27 PM

Da Fuq? DLC for DLC. Also I get Rebellion is Stand-alone but still. And you have to pay for it. I will buy it but I won't be happy about it, plus I can see this really screwing with the modding community.
Spoiler

led203_crashed_0.pngled203.jpg

#8 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:33 PM

I think the way it works is that its like entrenchment for vanilla sins. So it wont be THAT bad. Plus 5 dollars isnt that much if you look at what it adds.

#9 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • Steam:Unikraken
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:17 PM

I think it is a good idea to support this in the future. Let me quote the article.

"New Planet Specialization System: Dedicate your worlds to either social or industrial output. Devoting your planet to social improvements will increase its population and culture, at the cost of trade income and ship production. Choosing an industrial path will limit your growth and culture, but make your planet a trading and ship building powerhouse."

I think that gives a lot more options just on its own for either earn lots of trade or spam frigates. From my interpretation of the quote i believe it will be per planet so you could have trader core worlds and industrial outer worlds so that if you lose a decked out desert industrial planet it will feel like you lost a part of yourself. I see a lot of potential in this DLC and i think it'd be great if it was supported off the bat and unless you're some cheapskate or flat out broke you have few reasons not to buy it.

Before reading this I was like "Hell no, this is just a couple of things most mods provide for free" but now I'm more positively inclined. I really want to support SoaSE so that they can afford to make SoaSE 2, but they need to help me help them.

Mods supporting the DLC will sell more of them, so they need to make sure to treat us right and not try to scam us, though it looks like it might not be a scam.
  • Bornstellaris, Moustachio86 and Aunt Gruntie like this

[10:46:02 PM] VDNKh: Piercing Lance
[10:46:11 PM] VDNKh: fitting name for the ship that just fucked me

"Unikraken can soothe any nasties."

#10 Redleader102

Redleader102

My name is Redleader, not Purpleleader!

• Members
  • 71 posts
  • Location[REDACTED]

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:04 AM

Myself, I actually kind of like this notion. Having most of your planets geared towards trade and population would give your economy a nice uplift. And I like the idea of having a few deep core shipyard planets as well. Think Kuat :P
Out of darkness, these blades will light our way.

Glory and honor guide our acension.

On the blood of our fathers on the blood of our sons.

The true devotee honors our name with actions, not words.

Victory is secured not from the throne, but from the frontlines

#11 Bornstellaris

Bornstellaris

The Winter Soldier

• Mod Staff
  • 1,533 posts
  • Steam:Bornstellaris
  • LocationCivil War

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:51 AM

In all honesty I'm glad that they are still supporting Rebellion. However I don't think that it should be included off the bat, it should be added as an optional download for those that have the dlc(which I will most certainly get).

"But I knew him" 

- Bucky Barnes

Spoiler

#12 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • Steam:SternuS
  • LocationItaly

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:29 AM

Apparently, Rebellion is getting a piece of DLC, which is being pumped out by next month. That's not all though, there's expected to be more. This has been sort of unexpected, as I thought SoaSE was basically a dead franchise for the most part by now.

That's what i thought too. This new DLC is...fascinating. But i suggest to keep the Mod on its track as it is by now. You should finish and release at least the Covenant on Entrenchment. But if it's easier for you to Mod a new game or DLC, then do it. I'm just a poor ignorant of modding.

c048b5cb018d634cb3a0d9bd3617eb50-d547q01

Peter Jackson, 27/07/2013: 1.08 am. A 20 hour day ... 15 years of Tolkien ... 771 days of shooting ...

"We would be fools to pursue the impossible simply because you believe the achievable is flawed" - Ugin

#13 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:16 AM

finish and release at least the Covenant on Entrenchment

thats the plan regardless of a new DLC or not

#14 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • Steam:SternuS
  • LocationItaly

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:31 AM

thats the plan regardless of a new DLC or not

Good then.

c048b5cb018d634cb3a0d9bd3617eb50-d547q01

Peter Jackson, 27/07/2013: 1.08 am. A 20 hour day ... 15 years of Tolkien ... 771 days of shooting ...

"We would be fools to pursue the impossible simply because you believe the achievable is flawed" - Ugin

#15 Lady Raventree

Lady Raventree

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:20 AM

Ohh can't wait for this! You should definitely support this DLC!

#16 Rovert10

Rovert10

Balance Team

• Mod Staff
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:49 PM

Question is why people think SoaSE is a "dead" franchise?

It's currently Stardock's/Ironclad's biggest franchise (maybe GalCIv can top). I don't see why they would just stop support.

#17 Zero

Zero

HHF Lead Dev

• Contributor
  • 1,808 posts
  • LocationKent, Washington, USA

Posted 17 May 2013 - 04:49 PM

Well the game hasn't had any significant changes since Rebellion that are severely lacking and are found in most modern day and even older games.

LOD draw distances is a big one, for instance.

qqpudUa.gif

Spoiler

Spoiler

#18 Wombat_Leader

Wombat_Leader

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:05 PM

I think the only reason why SoaSE is still alive is because of the mods for it. I honestly got the game for the Battlestar and Stargate mods which....Well been playing for quite a while now. 667 hours spent in Trinity and 179 in Rebellion. I would say....I only spent mabye ten of those hours playing the base game without the mods.
Odds be damned, full flank speed!

#19 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • Steam:KhevaKins
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:04 PM

^^^^^This. I may have acquired it through other... means... initially but liked it so I bought it. I am one of those guys.
Spoiler

led203_crashed_0.pngled203.jpg

#20 Wombat_Leader

Wombat_Leader

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:37 PM

When I first got Trinity, I instantly got the Stargate mod done by Dolynick. I remember playing it with the SoF mod as well, its an amazing sight when you see Wraith hive ships go up against Battlestars. Man, its absolutely amazing! I took pictures if anyone wants to see them.
Odds be damned, full flank speed!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users