#1 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • Steam:KhevaKins
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:38 AM

In Kilo-five Thursday War Lord Hood gets to choose the captain of the Infinity. He choose Del Rio. I just want to know WHAT THE HELL WAS HE THINKING? He says it's because he wants a nice predictable captain (WHAT KIND OF QUALIFICATION IS THAT) but the second Chief turns up it's total Dick Ball City from Del Rio. But at least Parangosky chooses Lasky as second in command or the Didact would of ass rapped Earth for soldiers against... the flood? (Never got that part. Revenge perhaps.)

So, I Would just like to say this to Hood:
Posted Image
Spoiler

led203_crashed_0.pngled203.jpg

#2 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • Steam:Unikraken
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:09 AM

Del Rio would have been an okay Captain under normal circumstances. He was totally unprepared to be thrust into the situation at hand. His ship was crashed by an alien force he didn't understand and whose power he could not quantify. He knows he was selected because he brought ships back, so this is just too much strain, because if the Infinity is lost then humanity is in peril, literally. Then Chief shows up out of nowhere, years after his supposed death, like some Messiah figure. The situation was prime for a man like Del Rio to crack.
  • PrestonCole and Fsabran like this

[10:46:02 PM] VDNKh: Piercing Lance
[10:46:11 PM] VDNKh: fitting name for the ship that just fucked me

"Unikraken can soothe any nasties."

#3 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:22 AM

he should have listened to the chief though, all things considered. there was kind of a big threat to humanity

#4 Guest_Golly_*

Guest_Golly_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:36 AM

In this instance, fuck Chief the Infinity's safety is all that matters.
  • PrestonCole likes this

#5 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:42 AM

They're really lucky the Didact tried to hit Earth right off the bat, because if he'd run off to awaken more Forerunners or get a fleet of drones we would have been in big trouble. He underestimated what we could do.

#6 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:44 AM

In this instance, fuck Chief the Infinity's safety is all that matters.

Yea but if Chief hadn't done what he did do then Earth and Infinity would of been screwed anyway. It was Lasky giving Chief the pelican that saved humanity.
Spoiler

#7 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:47 AM

I disagree. I think the Infinity could've taken the ship down, it just would've been really messy. 10 shiva nukes going off above your planet is never a good thing.

#8 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:48 AM

I disagree. I think the Infinity could've taken the ship down, it just would've been really messy. 10 shiva nukes going off above your planet is never a good thing.

Very true.
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#9 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

But if the Didact used the composer on Infinity of the bat the ship would be screwed. In like one shot the Didact digitized an entire city. The Infinity's big, not that big.
Spoiler

#10 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:56 AM

But if the Didact used the composer on Infinity of the bat the ship would be screwed. In like one shot the Didact digitized an entire city. The Infinity's big, not that big.

Also true... It just would not be pretty...
#define true false

Spoiler

#11 Necrontyr

Necrontyr

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:57 AM

Captain Del Rio was a "by the book" officer. That is very easy to see and an obvious choice by FLEETCOM for their newest and shiniest toy (a toy that cost them well over half of their total budget). With a piece of hardware that expensive and untested, a predictable officer in command is probably what was wanted in order to ensure that the ship would not be put under any unnecessary risk. However, I don't think anyone saw what would transpire at Requiem coming. In such a scenario, a by-the book commander is the last person you would want at the helm, but either way, there was no way for them to know what would happen in order to plan for such a scenario.

But in any case, just a classic example of Murphy's Law; if something can go wrong it will go wrong in the exact way you never thought of.
  • Fsabran likes this

#12 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:58 AM

and if Del Rio had listened to the chief, New Phoenix would still be populated. Del Rio basically sold out thousands of people because he (from what i saw) didnt like the chief

#13 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:58 AM

Del Rio would have been an okay Captain under normal circumstances. He was totally unprepared to be thrust into the situation at hand.

Proving that he was a crappy captain, therefore Hood was of his nut. It is established that there are Forerunners around the place and the UNSC have only started to scratch the surface of their technology. Why would he not be prepared to face superior forces? It was like all humanity was doing during the entire war. And Chief wasn't asking much, but I agree trusting the rampant A.I wasn't a good idea (half of the bad shit is Cortanas fault.)
Spoiler

#14 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

Proving that he was a crappy captain, therefore Hood was of his nut. It is established that there are Forerunners around the place and the UNSC have only started to scratch the surface of their technology. Why would he not be prepared to face superior forces? It was like all humanity was doing during the entire war. And Chief wasn't asking much, but I agree trusting the rampant A.I wasn't a good idea (half of the bad shit is Cortanas fault.)

Not necessarily. He probably would've excelled at doing the kind of warfare that was expected (fighting Covenant remnants and such). However, encountering Forerunners, arguably the most powerful force in the galaxy, was not what was expected. He needed to think "on his toes" and "outside of the box". For a "by the books" officer like Del Rio, that was not what happened. There are numerous cases in history when a brilliant general with numerous victories is utterly destroyed by an opponent who uses unexpected tactics. That doesn't make those generals "crappy" commanders, it just means they were not correct for the situation at hand
#define true false

Spoiler

#15 Necrontyr

Necrontyr

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:07 PM

Just look at the Revolutionary War to see an example of excellent generals/officers getting overwhelmed with unexpected tactics...or the Vietnam War.

#16 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:09 PM

So first contact human tech sucks, covenant superior. Halo 4- Covenant, blowing in the wind, Human tech suck, Forerunner superior. it is the same combat but with much bigger toys.
Spoiler

#17 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:27 PM

So first contact human tech sucks, covenant superior. Halo 4- Covenant, blowing in the wind, Human tech suck, Forerunner superior. it is the same combat but with much bigger toys.

Yup. But HICOM wasn't really expecting a war with a super-powerful Forerunner faction. They thought war was over. As was stated in a Halo 4 trailer (I think?) - the Infinity was an exploration ship. They weren't intending to do another massive war. For exploration, a captain like like Del Rio would be good - he'd "bring the ship back". Unfortunately, it did not go as planned...
#define true false

Spoiler

#18 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

An "exploration" ship aye. Then why did it effectively end Arby's strife on Sanghelio's. Exploring the plant via MAC cannon are they now. The war with the Forerunners with humanities current weapons would be the exact same as the war with the Covenant at first contact or preHalo 4.
  • Emberblaque and Bornstellaris like this
Spoiler

#19 Wikia

Wikia

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 91 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:03 PM

If Del Rio had listened to Chief, the Didact would have never even managed to get to the Composer or even leave Requiem... it only took one Spartan-II, the Chief, to shut down the entire defensive array around the Didact's Cryptum, had Del Rio decided to listen to Chief and dedicate all the forces at his disposal against the Didact while he was still on Requiem, New Pheonix wouldn't have happened... One Spartan. How many S-IVs were on board before they returned to Earth? How many Marines? How many fighters, and gunships? The loss of life that would have been required to stop him on Requiem would have been a fraction of how many lives were lost at New Pheonix or in orbit around Earth when the Didact smashed through our defenses.

Now let's take a look at Inifinity.... Infinity didn't have to get close for the Chief to shut down the stuff defending the Didact's Cryptum, a flight of Pelicans carrying marines and Spartans could have cleared out the guns in half the time if not faster and left the Didact defensless against the Inifinty's entire arsenal.

Long story short, putting 17,000 at potential risk vs millions of civilians and the entire planet... you do the math.
"I'm not a terrorist, I'm a pirate."

#20 Emberblaque

Emberblaque

Commander

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,356 posts
  • LocationThonotosassa, FL

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:05 PM

Exploring the plant via MAC cannon are they now.

Haha.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users