#21 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • Steam:KhevaKins
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:04 PM

So I think I have given this enough time and we can all concede that Del Rio is a Anus Sniffer and Hood was off his nut. Probably on some shrooms instead.
  • m468 likes this
Spoiler

led203_crashed_0.pngled203.jpg

#22 Zero

Zero

HHF Lead Dev

• Contributor
  • 1,808 posts
  • LocationKent, Washington, USA

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:50 AM

I think this was talked about already, but Del Rio was by the books and had no complications. AKA he was the perfect pawn to fly the Infinity as he was easily controllable and predictable. However, Del Rio or anyone in the UNSC was not prepared for Requiem and a man like Del Rio who is strictly by the books is hard at improvising when stuck in an unfamiliar situation. You can obviously tell from the cutscene where he tries to arrest the Chief that he was irratic and stressed, telltale signs of cracking under pressure.
  • sloosecannon and Burny007 like this

qqpudUa.gif

Spoiler

Spoiler

#23 Burny007

Burny007

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:27 AM

I did laugh at how a Captain was such an arsehole to the Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy. Makes you wonder how he got through the war in the first place for being by the books. He must of been piloting UNSC Mahogany his whole career to survive the war. (Yes I know he commanded ships against the Covenant)

#24 Dianno5741

Dianno5741

Chief Petty Officer

• Members
  • 581 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:08 AM

The Devastation to the military ranks, He could have been an Ensign and rose through the ranks just because he wasnt dead.
  • Unikraken and Burny007 like this

bDNWw7L.png

#25 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • Steam:Unikraken
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:24 PM

I'm willing to bet Del Rio did not normally behave like this. Crashing on Requiem was probably very stressing on his psyche.
  • sloosecannon likes this

[10:46:02 PM] VDNKh: Piercing Lance
[10:46:11 PM] VDNKh: fitting name for the ship that just fucked me

"Unikraken can soothe any nasties."

#26 Emberblaque

Emberblaque

Commander

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,356 posts
  • LocationThonotosassa, FL

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:14 PM

I know in reality we're apex predators and apparently the only intelligent life within a considerable distance from Earth, but I'd be pretty existentially anxious if in my lifetime humanity had made first contact with an alliance of several alien species and been pushed to the brink of extinction, only to be saved by internal strife from the hostile alien hegemony. And to find that unknowably more advanced alien species had lived hundreds of thousand of years before me, and the parasitic extragalactic superconsciousness responsible for their extinction had started claiming the bodies of people on Earth. Also said hegemony is attempting to use said unknowably more advanced alien species's eponymous weapons of last resort. That's a lot o' change in 30 or so years.

I'd just be like, "Lovecraft was right." Then go AWOL.
  • Defender0 and Dianno5741 like this

#27 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:42 PM

I'm willing to bet Del Rio did not normally behave like this. Crashing on Requiem was probably very stressing on his psyche.

^This

I work with people in a military-like organization who are great when it's by the books, but when stuff goes south, they freak out like crazy. Not bad leaders, just not good ones for that particular circumstance
  • Fleet Admiral agigabyte likes this
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#28 Fsabran

Fsabran

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • LocationSão Paulo, Brazil

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

and if Del Rio had listened to the chief, New Phoenix would still be populated. Del Rio basically sold out thousands of people because he (from what i saw) didnt like the chief

No, he did it because he was following protocol and didn't want to risk his entire crew for the rumblings of a recently recovered, possibly compromised soldier and his rampant AI, he's not an asshole, in any other circunstances he would have been right, and if the chief didn't manage to stop the didact in time, then the infinity would have been destroyed, he didn't sell out anyone because in his opinion he was the only sane person left in the infinity, and with the exception of lasky he actually was.

#29 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:39 PM

he was the only sane person left in the infinity, and with the exception of lasky he actually was.

And Chief wasnt? o_o

#30 Fsabran

Fsabran

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:41 PM

So I think I have given this enough time and we can all concede that Del Rio is a Anus Sniffer and Hood was off his nut. Probably on some shrooms instead.

No, no we can't, just because you didn't like what he did doesn't mean he was incompetent, try to understand, no one cares if you are a spartan and the hero of Humanity, you do not have a say on the strategic level, being heroic and killing many enemies doesn't get you rank, Del Rio was trying to protect his crew and guess what, if he had helped the chief when the Didact took control of the Mantle's Aproach the Infinity would have been destroyed, so I guess he did the right thing after all.

#31 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

No, no we can't, just because you didn't like what he did doesn't mean he was incompetent, try to understand, no one cares if you are a spartan and the hero of Humanity, you do not have a say on the strategic level, being heroic and killing many enemies doesn't get you rank, Del Rio was trying to protect his crew and guess what, if he had helped the chief when the Didact took control of the Mantle's Aproach the Infinity would have been destroyed, so I guess he did the right thing after all.

4:40 to 4:52

after watching that, tell me that the infinity could not effectively engage Mantles Approach

#32 Fsabran

Fsabran

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

And Chief wasnt? o_o

No, not acording to the prologue and the fact that he was harboring a rampant AI, and he wasn't a fleet officer or a strategist, so Del Rio had no reason at all to trust him, the chief may be good, but he's a soldier, a tool to be used he is not a Jacok Keyes he is the PoA, now the chief may have been right, but that doesn't change the fact that Del Rio had no reason to obey him.

#33 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:46 PM

No, not acording to the prologue and the fact that he was harboring a rampant AI, and he wasn't a fleet officer or a strategist, so Del Rio had no reason at all to trust him, the chief may be good, but he's a soldier, a tool to be used he is not a Jacok Keyes he is the PoA, now the chief may have been right, but that doesn't change the fact that Del Rio had no reason to obey him.

Valid point... He is a MCPO after all... Not even a commissioned officer...
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#34 Fsabran

Fsabran

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:49 PM

4:40 to 4:52

after watching that, tell me that the infinity could not effectively engage Mantles Approach

You mean after we hear that the SMAC grid is ineffective agaisnt the mantles approach shields, see several ships be destroyed while attacking his ship and lasky himself saying that the Infinity wouldn't have been able to pass throught the mantles approach main guns, if the Chief hadn't gotten inside the ship to start with the entire planet would have been destroyed, and things only get worse in spartan ops when we learn that the Didact could interact with the Infinity engines to disable her.

Edited by Emberblaque, 28 January 2013 - 12:50 PM.
Please remove media from quotations.

#35 Fsabran

Fsabran

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:50 PM

Valid point... He is a MCPO after all... Not even a commissioned officer...

Yes exactly, Del Rio was wrong, but he didn't know that, I'm not saying that he is the best officer in the UNSC, just that he is not the retarded asshat you people are making him out to be.

#36 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:10 PM

From a command perspective, Del Rio was a great officer however he was completely overwhelmed. His ship ,the best ship made by humanity, just crashed into a planet it's shields were down and suffered structural damage during the crash.
"Japan received freedom so hard it was atomizing." -VDNKh
Spoiler

#37 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:16 PM

Sorry forgot commas there…
"Japan received freedom so hard it was atomizing." -VDNKh
Spoiler

#38 Hagen

Hagen

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:44 PM

Yea but if Chief hadn't done what he did do then Earth and Infinity would of been screwed anyway. It was Lasky giving Chief the pelican that saved humanity.

I must disagree with this. I personally believe it was Del Rio not making a ship wide announcement to detain the chief, though on second thought how many would have listened ....

#39 Fsabran

Fsabran

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:02 PM

I must disagree with this. I personally believe it was Del Rio not making a ship wide announcement to detain the chief, though on second thought how many would have listened ....

If the UNSC has any kind of competence at all then everyone but let's no discuss that, it's a flamewar in the making.

#40 Wikia

Wikia

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 91 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

If Del Rio had listened to Chief, the Didact would have never even managed to get to the Composer or even leave Requiem... it only took one Spartan-II, the Chief, to shut down the entire defensive array around the Didact's Cryptum. Had Del Rio decided to listen to Chief and dedicate all the forces at his disposal against the Didact while he was still on Requiem, New Phoenix wouldn't have happened... One Spartan. How many S-IVs were on board before they returned to Earth? How many Marines? How many fighters, and gunships? The loss of life that would have been required to stop him on Requiem would have been a fraction of how many lives were lost at New Phoenix or in orbit around Earth when the Didact smashed through our defenses.

Now let's take a look at Infinity.... Infinity didn't have to get close for the Chief to shut down the stuff defending the Didact's Cryptum, a flight of Pelicans carrying marines and Spartans could have cleared out the guns in half the time if not faster and left the Didact defenseless against the Infinity's entire arsenal.

Long story short, putting 17,000 at potential risk vs millions of civilians and the entire planet... you do the math.

Gents, I present you with this. Again.
  • Defender0 likes this
"I'm not a terrorist, I'm a pirate."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users