46 replies to this topic

#1 WarthogRacingMan3

WarthogRacingMan3

Mr. Warthog Racing Man

• Authorized Playtester
  • 387 posts
  • LocationWaukegan, Ilinois, United Republic of North America

Posted 04 October 2013 - 05:18 PM

I don't know how final the stats for UNSC ships are, but here are some thoughts  I have regarding Marathon and Halcyon cruisers. I was thinking that Halcyon class cruisers should have a more substantial amount of hull and armor points, should be more expensive, maneuver slower and it should have weaker weapons. While, Marathon class cruisers should have a lesser amount of hull and armor points and should be cheaper to build (compared to the Halcyon), be relatively more maneuverable and have more powerful weapons.

Again, I don't how final stats for UNSC ships are, but I'm hoping my suggestions would help the Marathon and Halcyon cruisers fit with cannon better (and match their descriptions better). It was my understanding the Halcyon cruisers were crazy strong, but expensive and slow (before being refit, Halcyons had outmoded reactors) and Marathon cruisers had lighter armor, were more maneuverable and were cheaper to build, but had better weapons.

The Warthog Racing Man the Third

Posted Image

Desolation comes upon the sky

Now I see fire

#2 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • Steam:KhevaKins
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 04 October 2013 - 05:34 PM

I don't know how final the stats for UNSC ships are, but here are some thoughts  I have regarding Marathon and Halcyon cruisers. I was thinking that Halcyon class cruisers should have a more substantial amount of hull and armor points, should be more expensive, maneuver slower and it should have weaker weapons. While, Marathon class cruisers should have a lesser amount of hull and armor points and should be cheaper to build (compared to the Halcyon), be relatively more maneuverable and have more powerful weapons.

Again, I don't how final stats for UNSC ships are, but I'm hoping my suggestions would help the Marathon and Halcyon cruisers fit with cannon better (and match their descriptions better). It was my understanding the Halcyon cruisers were crazy strong, but expensive and slow (before being refit, Halcyons had outmoded reactors) and Marathon cruisers had lighter armor, were more maneuverable and were cheaper to build, but had better weapons.

Lore wise the Marathon would be similarly matched in armor if not better then the Halcyon. The Halcyon had the unique super structure but were outmatch in everything else, including, most likely, Titanium-A plating.
Spoiler

led203_crashed_0.pngled203.jpg

#3 Nakamura

Nakamura

Probationary Staff

• Inactive Staff
  • 52 posts
  • Steam:DoD_Nakamura
  • LocationNorway

Posted 05 October 2013 - 06:54 AM

I believe Halcyions are fine stat-vise, however they are a bit expensive for what they provide. I find them to be slow and inferior to the Marathon class.

• SPECTRE likes this

#4 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:03 AM

It should be noted that the marathon cruiser is now a capital ship, and the halcyon is still a cruiser

#5 Nakamura

Nakamura

Probationary Staff

• Inactive Staff
  • 52 posts
  • Steam:DoD_Nakamura
  • LocationNorway

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:08 AM

Okay, that changes things quite a bit!

#6 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:09 AM

yeah, it makes things kind of different :P

#7 Moustachio86

Moustachio86

UniMinion

• Contributor
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:31 AM

Yeah, there was a debate a while back about the Marathon's position (my camp lost, though, actually I think it was just me in any case). As it is now, the Marathon is essentially a powerful cruiser. It's limited by capital slots, gets targeted first and dies quickly but it's cheap, packs a punch and comes with a shiva nuke so it's well balanced. Halcyons remain damage sponges and are remarkably happy to serve as such.

#8 Zero

Zero

HHF Lead Dev

• Contributor
  • 1,808 posts
  • LocationKent, Washington, USA

Posted 05 October 2013 - 02:14 PM

Lore wise the Marathon would be similarly matched in armor if not better then the Halcyon.

Incorrect, the Halycon is the most expensive ship the UNSC ever manufactured because it was the most durable. Maybe it didn't have the same type of armor plating, but the Halcyon could take far more of a beating than the Marathon.

• con7con and zaun3694 like this

qqpudUa.gif

Spoiler

Spoiler

#9 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • Steam:KhevaKins
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 05 October 2013 - 06:09 PM

Incorrect, the Halycon is the most expensive ship the UNSC ever manufactured because it was the most durable. Maybe it didn't have the same type of armor plating, but the Halcyon could take far more of a beating than the Marathon.

The super structure was more durable yes, so that could take lots of beating. But if all the outer plating gets melted of what is the point?

Spoiler

led203_crashed_0.pngled203.jpg

#10 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:18 PM

The super structure was more durable yes, so that could take lots of beating. But if all the outer plating gets melted of what is the point?

If all the compartments are air tight then the ship can still fight might look ugly as &*#% but it will work.

• Zero, Defender0 and Lavo like this
"Japan received freedom so hard it was atomizing." -VDNKh
Spoiler

#11 Kevik70

Kevik70

The Infinity Idea Guy

• Members
  • 98 posts
  • LocationFolor Base

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:12 PM

I am quite positive that the UNSC Infinity takes the most expensive UNSC ship manufactured spot quite easily.

Also if we haven't already we should change the name of the Halycon Refit Cruiser to the Autumn class heavy cruiser - http://halo.wikia.co...s_heavy_cruiser  The class is named after the Pillar of Autumn the first ship of its class.

#12 Zero

Zero

HHF Lead Dev

• Contributor
  • 1,808 posts
  • LocationKent, Washington, USA

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:56 AM

The whole ship was hull plating, that's what made it so durable. Like M468 said, and based on Halo CE, several bulkheads could be sealed off on each deck and since the whole ship is honeycombed, the outer levels could be completely sealed and the ship could have gaping holes in the side of it and still be fully functional. The Pillar of Autumn for example only received a weapons refit, took several plasma torpedoes to the side, crash landed on Halo and was still intact. If it were any other UNSC ship, it would have taken maybe two or three plasma torpedoes and would have been melted through all decks.

I am quite positive that the UNSC Infinity takes the most expensive UNSC ship manufactured spot quite easily.

Okay if you want to play that card... the Infinity wasn't mass produced, though.

• Unikraken likes this

qqpudUa.gif

Spoiler

Spoiler

#13 Kevik70

Kevik70

The Infinity Idea Guy

• Members
  • 98 posts
  • LocationFolor Base

Posted 06 October 2013 - 05:59 AM

Okay if you want to play that card... the Infinity wasn't mass produced, though.

Ah but you didn't say that before  :P , and the UNSC Super carrier also probably was more expensive, and while only one was known to be completed it is possible more were produced.

That and the new Autumn Class Heavy Cruiser might be more expensive too. (Which is a class of ship besed on the Pillar of Autumn refit) 

#14 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:35 AM

The halcyon class were the most expensive ships at the time they were produced. That is what he was going on Kheva. No shit the others are more expensive. They are larger and in the case of the Autumn class incorporate the hull design of the halcyon class.
BTW here is the link to the halcyon cruiser page on halopedia please read it....
http://www.halopedia...s_light_cruiser

edited for typos do to phone.

Spoiler

#15 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

Banned user who criticised terrorists

• Members
  • 3,455 posts
  • LocationANGLIA BRUV, HOME TO THE PRODIGY, NON CRIMINAL GANGSTAS AND FARMERS

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:08 AM

The marathon class was probably designed at the beginning of the war to be mass producable so is probably cheaper than the halcyon.

And the marathon is now a capital ship? The thing is barely comparable to a the CCS class at the moment, it wont stand a chance as a capital ship. What will take its place?

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#16 Rovert10

Rovert10

Balance Team

• Mod Staff
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:22 AM

The marathon class was probably designed at the beginning of the war to be mass producable so is probably cheaper than the halcyon.

And the marathon is now a capital ship? The thing is barely comparable to a the CCS class at the moment, it wont stand a chance as a capital ship. What will take its place?

The Marathon is still just as cheap as a Halcyon and the thing now stands to beat the CCS class since it carries a Shiva now that it is a capital. The UNSC has higher capital ship slots so you'll still be able to spam them to a considerable degree.

Switching the Marathon to a capital allowed us to stick a ton of a abilities that would seem unwarranted on a cruiser.

#17 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:29 AM

I'd disagree most of my capital ships dont live long enough to fire nukes in the first place.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#18 Rovert10

Rovert10

Balance Team

• Mod Staff
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:39 AM

I'd disagree most of my capital ships dont live long enough to fire nukes in the first place.

Ranges have been buffed up to account for it.

#19 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:40 AM

While the ranges have been adjusted you are doing something very wrong.

Spoiler

#20 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:59 AM

Perhaps its just me or something.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler