186 replies to this topic

#81 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:06 PM

Totally gonna do this. Just BECAUSE

What do you say we give it..... 18th Century Naval Cannon?

• sloosecannon likes this
"Japan received freedom so hard it was atomizing." -VDNKh
Spoiler

#82 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

Banned user who criticised terrorists

• Members
  • 3,455 posts
  • LocationANGLIA BRUV, HOME TO THE PRODIGY, NON CRIMINAL GANGSTAS AND FARMERS

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:16 PM

What do you say we give it..... 18th Century Naval Cannon?

A naval ballista would be better. Or a rock launcher... Some ships have to share rocks.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#83 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:47 PM

A naval ballista would be better. Or a rock launcher... Some ships have to share rocks.

Nah. Fully automatic crossbow. TAKE THIS COVENANT NUTCASES!!!!!!!! BLEARGH!

• Defender0 likes this
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#84 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

Banned user who criticised terrorists

• Members
  • 3,455 posts
  • LocationANGLIA BRUV, HOME TO THE PRODIGY, NON CRIMINAL GANGSTAS AND FARMERS

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:50 PM

Nah. Fully automatic crossbow. 

Spoiler

Edited by CanadaMan7, 22 November 2013 - 02:45 PM.
At least add spoiler tags to your videos. Also, stay on topic people.

• sloosecannon likes this

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#85 KillaBC

KillaBC

KillaBC cannot into space

• Modding Personality
  • 215 posts
  • LocationWorksop, England

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:02 PM

How about a ship firing light bulbs? They could look like lasers. 

• sloosecannon and Defender0 like this

STA3/ST:I Dev 

#86 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:06 PM

How about a ship firing light bulbs? They could look like lasers. 

PewPew! (smashsmash)

#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#87 wex3^4

wex3^4

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:19 PM

Totally gonna do this. Just BECAUSE

http://makeameme.org/meme/The-troll-is  :P

• Cole Protocol likes this

#88 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • Steam:KhevaKins
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:15 AM

Spoiler

Found another captain:
Spoiler

Spoiler

led203_crashed_0.pngled203.jpg

#89 KillaBC

KillaBC

• Modding Personality
  • 215 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:06 AM

Suddenly in my mind the Diarrhoea just struck this thread with Poo ships captained by Lord High Admiral Turtle with all these images.

Back to the Splaser ship, if it's there then it would be a welcome addition, if not that's understandable. Got to have a nice balanced mod and what's the point of having a powerful UNSC ship that can stand toe to toe with it's Covenant counterpart that just wouldn't feel right.      

• Defender0 likes this

#90 Cole Protocol

Cole Protocol

Balancing Coder - Particle Effects Artist

• Mod Staff
  • 1,390 posts
  • Steam:Cole Protocol
  • LocationSpirit of Fire, chilling with the Enduring Conviction.

Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:01 AM

Unfortunately, that's true, unless you have 3 of them, as stated via admins, and the covenant counterpart, how on earth would another ship using a bunch of lasers be different? so i don't see the covenant version as feasible. However, the counterpart could use really upgraded plasma mortars, like so big the ship could only have 2, and did a very high amount of damage.

#91 Moustachio86

Moustachio86

UniMinion

• Contributor
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:39 PM

Unfortunately, that's true, unless you have 3 of them, as stated via admins, and the covenant counterpart, how on earth would another ship using a bunch of lasers be different? so i don't see the covenant version as feasible. However, the counterpart could use really upgraded plasma mortars, like so big the ship could only have 2, and did a very high amount of damage.

Some ships aren't necessarily calculated in the same way. Orions, for instance have massively powerful primary weapons which can destroy most covenant craft in one salvo, especially when hunting in pairs. The downside is they don't have the hull and such to match. In a one-on-one minus the MACs, Orions would likely be defeated by a single CCS cruiser. The 3:1 rule is good for frigates and destroyers but it gets warped more as you get bigger, more powerful ships. Also, the fact each ship doesn't necessarily have or indeed need a counterpart throws a spanner in the works. Regardless, Dianno is a stickler for balance and you can guarantee any new ship that may be added will be balanced appropriately.

#92 Cole Protocol

Cole Protocol

• Mod Staff
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:50 PM

I can see how the ship to ship ratio would be more subtle as the ships became larger, after all i've noticed how a single Thermopylae can waist a asteroid belt if used right, but counterparts seems fundamental to me, so i have no idea why one would not be added. But im not the staff, and im sure making a whole new ship is like climbing Everest, (not the ship, the mountain) so i Can see your point from a few aspects. Who knows, i may be dead wrong and such a ship would be a horrible addition. Yet It seems like no matter what game, another unit must be present to balance with its other faction double. While there can be different circumstances for this, no matter what game, this seems like the main form of balance.

#93 KillaBC

KillaBC

• Modding Personality
  • 215 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:01 PM

You tend to find that UNSC ships will fire a few shots and then get one shotted a couple more if its lucky. You see ships dropping like flies in Halo 2 during the space battle and the timeline bit on Halo Wars shows that UNSC ships had difficulty dis-lodging a small Covvie force from Harvest orbit. However I'm sure the balance will be spot on.     

#94 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 22 November 2013 - 06:03 PM

I don't think he meant give the Covenant a Laser ship. He was just saying make sure it wasn't to OP.

Spoiler

#95 MrChipps

MrChipps

Having a beer with Colonel Jack O'Neill

• Contributor
  • 789 posts
  • LocationThe Commonwealth wasteland

Posted 23 November 2013 - 04:08 AM

I don't think he meant give the Covenant a Laser ship. He was just saying make sure it wasn't to OP.

I think so too. Besides the Covenant already has a "laser ship" it's called every damned ship with a energy projector!

Sweden can into gender!

#96 KillaBC

KillaBC

• Modding Personality
  • 215 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 04:20 AM

That is what I meant, I'm not sure which class it would be as I'm unaware if the capitals are finalised. We've found that the AI would build spam a ship if it had a DPS output if it's not too expensive in terms of resources. Double the average price of the average frigate/cruiser won't cut it, particularly for something as powerful as a UNSC ship with freaking LAZ0RS. The tech would be likely late game too and considering you wouldn't see these out on the battlefield much you'd want it be relegated to the ONI split off. 

#97 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 23 November 2013 - 04:24 AM

That is what I meant, I'm not sure which class it would be as I'm unaware if the capitals are finalised. We've found that the AI would build spam a ship if it had a DPS output if it's not too expensive in terms of resources.

I was thinking it would do increased damage to shields, even goes as far as make able to one shot the shields of any target, but do less damage to hull. And if the SpLaser is only for ONI and the Orion ends up MIC only then the Orion would do increased damage to hulls, however at this time I like the Orion ability  Cov-Killer so maybe leave that in.

Spoiler

#98 Cole Protocol

Cole Protocol

• Mod Staff
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:50 AM

I don't think trading capital ships out for the different "factions" there are is a good idea. Perhaps a "unique" capital ship like in vanilla rebellion but doing a trade out of capitals and taking away the Orion seems like a horrible idea. But maybe the unique ship could be our laser ship that is a mega upgraded Orion. But then he MIC would need there own unique ship, and i doubt the Staff would be willing to make another ship so perhaps capital ship switching is a good idea.

#99 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 23 November 2013 - 08:15 AM

[endlogic]

I don't think trading capital ships out for the different "factions" there are is a good idea. Perhaps a "unique" capital ship like in vanilla rebellion but doing a trade out of capitals and taking away the Orion seems like a horrible idea. But maybe the unique ship could be our laser ship that is a mega upgraded Orion. But then he MIC would need there own unique ship, and i doubt the Staff would be willing to make another ship so perhaps capital ship switching is a good idea.

[/endlogic]

So basically instead of giving the Orion to MIC and the SpLaser to ONI you want to give the Orion to the MIC, the Orion to ONI then also give MIC another ship, there by giving them a unique ship, the entire thing you were suggesting was a bad idea when you didn't want to give the MIC the Orion and ONI the SpLaser?
The Orion would be the unique capital ship as would the SpLaser ship for their faction. You wouldn't be trading them out since you no longer have them to begin with.
Also giving the MIC an extra ship would just make people swing towards them more often.

Spoiler

#100 Cole Protocol

Cole Protocol

• Mod Staff
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 08:18 AM

No no im not saying give MIC the orion im saying give BOTH factions it and have the laser for ONI and something else for MIC, im not sure  what but excluding the Orion from one of the two seems like a horrible idea.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users