• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#41 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:12 PM

If the game is crashing because of the size of these maps, THAT'S the issue that has to be addressed

Thats an engine limitation due to the 2 gig RAM limit, this thread is proposing an idea for a workaround

#42 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

Banned user who criticised terrorists

• Members
  • 3,455 posts
  • LocationANGLIA BRUV, HOME TO THE PRODIGY, NON CRIMINAL GANGSTAS AND FARMERS

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:18 PM

Thats an engine limitation due to the 2 gig RAM limit, this thread is proposing an idea for a workaround

Didn't Fo3 have this problem?

Only being able to run off so many cores before it crashed, or something like that. They created an EXE expander that allows the maximum amount of RAM to surpass what it normally was.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#43 Aunt Gruntie

Aunt Gruntie

Sterilized Food Nipples!

• Contributor
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:31 PM

Didn't Fo3 have this problem?

Only being able to run off so many cores before it crashed, or something like that. They created an EXE expander that allows the maximum amount of RAM to surpass what it normally was.

Fallout3? It doesn't use but 1 core, and if you have a multicore computer you can't play the game. But there is a workaround which forces the game to use all the cores(or makes it so it thinks your comp has only 1 core), or something like that I honestly can't remember, I fixed it for myself a while back, it was retarded and bogus but at least it runs on my comp now

Help me Sergeant I'm lost in Kurfluffle land!

#44 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • Steam:Unikraken
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:42 PM

Engine limitations that we have no control over reduce the map size. I suppose I should make this clear, if any coding or modeling actually happens for this idea, which is unlikely in itself, it would be a separate download from the core SotP. This is more of a thought exercise for us modders. It allows us to explore the boundaries of the game and can often inspire it's own tangent ideas that do end up being useful. It's public because there are now so many modders here from so many mods I figured it would be nice to include them all. To conclude this isn't something that would happen any time soon.

• Emberblaque and Bornstellaris like this

[10:46:02 PM] VDNKh: Piercing Lance
[10:46:11 PM] VDNKh: fitting name for the ship that just fucked me

"Unikraken can soothe any nasties."

#45 Lavo

Lavo

Grand Master Modder/Design Lead

• Mod Staff
  • 713 posts
  • LocationNot Uni's Basement

Posted 24 November 2013 - 01:20 PM

I have a dream...
Lavo said it was mainly going to be a visual change where as most of use have been talking (see: dreaming) about complex, engine changing things.

aka. You didn't read the OP at all and are acting like a mentally retarded child.

A visual change would require a huge change of scale, as stated before.

That simply is not true, at least not in the case of my idea. Or rather, a re-purposing of NovaCameron's moons, which is a proven system that is currently in use in SoGE. Unikraken's basic concept works, however his idea on how to implement it simply does not work. It is possible to give someone the feel of fighting in a star system without changing gameplay, which is what I am trying to get at.

Here are two pictures of an example of one planet in orbit around another. One without the tactical grid/grav well, and one with the grid.

• Unikraken, Defender0 and Bornstellaris like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users