#1 Bornstellaris

Bornstellaris

The Winter Soldier

• Mod Staff
  • 1,533 posts
  • Steam:Bornstellaris
  • LocationCivil War

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:44 PM

I actually have been giving this quite a bit of thought and think I have come to a reasonable solution

UNSC: For the UNSC it would be a slipspace modified nova bomb launcher, it would launch a bomb towards a planet and when it hit the entire population of the planet and a good percentage of the surrounding fleet would be destroyed. The planet would be re-colenizable but only after a time of 15 minutes, maybe even the surrounding space can have a residual area of effect ability that disrupts abilities.

Covenant: For the Covenant it would be an interplanetary energy projector, the beam would be able to glass any planet from anywhere. The planet would not be re-colenizable ever, the beam however would not to any damage to the surrounding fleet unless they are caught in the beam, if thats possible.

Forerunners: They would obviously have the halo arrays, it would work by the player having to place 7 halo rings in 7 separate gravity wells, once activated the countdown would be 30 minutes. Stopping the activation of the halo array the other player(s) only have to take out 1 of the arrays, if the forerunners then don't have enough planets to re-activate the network it can not be fired. The only way to win the game if the halo's fire is to research shield worlds and activate one, shield worlds can be take over by the other players.

This of course would be very high tier research and would cost lots of all the resources

"But I knew him" 

- Bucky Barnes

Spoiler

#2 thefallenlords

thefallenlords

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:41 AM

I think that a more practical Forerunner superweapon would be a composer on a Forerunner station that is linked to a slipspace generator which would give the beam greatly extended range compared to the version mounted on the Mantle's Approach. As such, it could have a two stage research and build process similar to titans and can kill the population of a planet while leaving the planet under the victim's control. Furthermore, it could disable all structures in the gravity well for a time (if the above suggestion isn't adequate). To explain it in regards to lore, you can say that it was a result of desperation by Forerunners who opposed the Halo rings and tried to manufacture a version of the composer that would digitize entire planets to save them from the Flood, storing the victims en masse in the hopes that future research can properly un-digitize them.

The UNSC suggestion is good, however Ghosts of Onyx stated that the Covenant could detect slipspace launched nukes, at which point they could destroy them. A more lore based solution that would have the same effect however could be a Spartan raid to deploy the Nova, represented by an animation of several pods from a ship deployed from a long range slipspace station leaving slipspace and re-entering slipspace after which there is a large explosion.

The Covenant suggestion seems a bit extreme if the victim loses the planet completely since it would make it much harder for the UNSC to effectively fight the Covenant. Perhaps a better solution would be to have High Charity built as a structure and thus allows the player to direct the High Charity Defense Fleet to attack a planet via an animation that just shows a bunch of ships that enter slipspace, exit slipspace at the target planet, and do a quick glassing after which they enter slipspace again. It could kill a significant amount of the population, damage the planet, and damage (and maybe temporarily disable) orbital structures.

#3 Bornstellaris

Bornstellaris

The Winter Soldier

• Mod Staff
  • 1,533 posts
  • LocationCivil War

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:58 AM

Double post, damn smartphones

"But I knew him" 

- Bucky Barnes

Spoiler

#4 Bornstellaris

Bornstellaris

The Winter Soldier

• Mod Staff
  • 1,533 posts
  • LocationCivil War

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:58 AM

I am aware of the covenant being able to detect slipspace launched nukes and although I very much like your ideas you have to look at this from a gameplay perspective. The animations you suggest would very cool but such things like the sins engine not handling animations like you suggest very well and the game becoming very resource intensive also most things are hard coded into the sins engine and cannot be changed so it may not be possible to even put the animations in game. I would love to here what one of the devs think.

"But I knew him" 

- Bucky Barnes

Spoiler

#5 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:22 AM

Perma-glassing probably is WAY too OP... just saying...

*thinks to self*
Maybe we could do a buff, counter-buff type thing in rebellion...

Anyways... Yeah leaving it uncolonizable for a certain amount of time is OK, but permakilling it is way OP
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#6 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:20 AM

Covenant: For the Covenant it would be an interplanetary energy projector, the beam would be able to glass any planet from anywhere. The planet would not be re-colenizable ever, the beam however would not to any damage to the surrounding fleet unless they are caught in the beam, if thats possible.

OP as fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck, glassing itself does enough from an orbiting fleet

#7 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • Steam:Unikraken
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:26 AM

The only thing in there that is even possible in Sins if the first one. Second, it would take anywhere between 200 and 200,000 years for a beam to reach another planet like that.

[10:46:02 PM] VDNKh: Piercing Lance
[10:46:11 PM] VDNKh: fitting name for the ship that just fucked me

"Unikraken can soothe any nasties."

#8 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:24 AM

the Covenant could detect slipspace launched nukes

the covenant can detect radiation from incoming objects that emit radiation. fusion warheads, such as the NOVA bomb, do not emit radiation like their fission warhead counterparts, and are therefore, harder to detect, if they are even detectable

http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/NOVA_Bomb read the last paragraph of the section "Delta Halo" if you dont believe me

#9 Bornstellaris

Bornstellaris

The Winter Soldier

• Mod Staff
  • 1,533 posts
  • LocationCivil War

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

Probably should have mentioned that for the covenant super weapon to work they need to have a ship in the gravity well they are targeting

"But I knew him" 

- Bucky Barnes

Spoiler

#10 thefallenlords

thefallenlords

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:46 PM

the covenant can detect radiation from incoming objects that emit radiation. fusion warheads, such as the NOVA bomb, do not emit radiation like their fission warhead counterparts, and are therefore, harder to detect, if they are even detectable

http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/NOVA_Bomb read the last paragraph of the section "Delta Halo" if you dont believe me

Eh fusion, fission, I wasn't that good at science anyways. But it does mention that the High Charity Defense Fleet had slipspace probes that could basically detect space pebbles. It wouldn't be too far out of the question that Covenant held worlds also had similar defenses anyway, or at least those that are working since the request was at the time when the Schism broke out, the Flood contaminated the station, and generally bad times for anyone on High Charity with the Chief walking around. Otherwise the UNSC could theoretically send as many fusion-based slipspace-launched missiles as they wanted. Though if the mod team wants to have slipspace missiles for the sake of simplicity, I'm all for it.

#11 thefallenlords

thefallenlords

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:55 PM

I am aware of the covenant being able to detect slipspace launched nukes and although I very much like your ideas you have to look at this from a gameplay perspective. The animations you suggest would very cool but such things like the sins engine not handling animations like you suggest very well and the game becoming very resource intensive also most things are hard coded into the sins engine and cannot be changed so it may not be possible to even put the animations in game. I would love to here what one of the devs think.

Just tossing ideas out there. Only thing I've ever done in Sins modding is merge a few units from one mod to another so I have no real idea of the limitations of the engine. Though for all I care, the mod team can just have random UNSC missiles emerging from slipspace at the center of planets if it makes their jobs easier/more practical.

#12 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

Eh fusion, fission, I wasn't that good at science anyways.

heres the simple version:

Fission materials break apart and give off energy and smaller atoms compared to the original atom that underwent fission. Fusion involves taking smaller atoms, such as hydrogen, and fusing them together to make larger atoms. Fissile materials give off radiaton, fusion materials do not.

#13 Bornstellaris

Bornstellaris

The Winter Soldier

• Mod Staff
  • 1,533 posts
  • LocationCivil War

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

The only thing in there that is even possible in Sins if the first one. Second, it would take anywhere between 200 and 200,000 years for a beam to reach another planet like that.

Yes but with the covenants level of technology it is quite possible that they would be able to bend space and quite possibly create artificial wormholes allowing energy to travel great distances in minimal time.

"But I knew him" 

- Bucky Barnes

Spoiler

#14 Moo Cow Banshee

Moo Cow Banshee

Prodigal Son

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:52 PM

Covenants should be a religious forerunner object like the advents one, the sphere of influence crap

#15 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:59 PM

Yes but with the covenants level of technology it is quite possible that they would be able to bend space and quite possibly create artificial wormholes allowing energy to travel great distances in minimal time.

No, not really. Only way they could do it is to use slipspace and that wouldn't work either. The distances in slipspace are still huge and then you have to attune a beam through warped space. Just wouldn't work out.

Maybe we shouldn't have superweapons anyway. Titans are big enough of a game ender really.

#16 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:07 PM

No, not really. Only way they could do it is to use slipspace and that wouldn't work either. The distances in slipspace are still huge and then you have to attune a beam through warped space. Just wouldn't work out.

Maybe we shouldn't have superweapons anyway. Titans are big enough of a game ender really.

it is possible not to have superweapons, SOGE does it that way, for both the entrenchment and rebellion versions. I guess it is just assumed, because of the possibilities from the canon for a superweapon (read, NOVA bomb and Halo array), that there will be superweapons

#17 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:12 PM

I think there is also an assumption we'll have them because vanilla Sins has them. We need to keep making the point that we're not making Sins a Halo theme to put on, we're using the Sins engine to make our own game, in the same way people use Crysis or Unreal to make games, we're just a little more limited than they are. We have to do certain things to keep the AI from breaking and some things we want to do are juuuuust out of our reach, but we don't have to make an exact copy of Sins in the Halo universe and we have no intention of doing that.
  • Emberblaque likes this

#18 Moo Cow Banshee

Moo Cow Banshee

Prodigal Son

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:15 PM

Why not make superweapers super boosters?? *cue mexican music*
but the UNSC, you can only build like 2-4, it increases your income by about 25-100%
Covies the same but it increases the culture spread by 25-100%
Forerunner, i have no clue but what ever, idk if u can do this. Just thought about it.

#19 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:28 PM

I think there is also an assumption we'll have them because vanilla Sins has them. We need to keep making the point that we're not making Sins a Halo theme to put on, we're using the Sins engine to make our own game, in the same way people use Crysis or Unreal to make games, we're just a little more limited than they are. We have to do certain things to keep the AI from breaking and some things we want to do are juuuuust out of our reach, but we don't have to make an exact copy of Sins in the Halo universe and we have no intention of doing that.

this is one of the reasons i love SOGE so much, its literally a total conversion

#20 Bornstellaris

Bornstellaris

The Winter Soldier

• Mod Staff
  • 1,533 posts
  • LocationCivil War

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

Honestly it would probably be good to not have super weapons in the SOTP, only put them in if they fit. Also isn't the purpose of the super weapons to break endgame stalemates, SOTP is so fast paced that I doubt you will need super weapons but I just thought I would voice my ideas

"But I knew him" 

- Bucky Barnes

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users