37 replies to this topic

#21 Redleader102

Redleader102

My name is Redleader, not Purpleleader!

• Members
  • 71 posts
  • Location[REDACTED]

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:31 PM

That, and and a MAC round doesn't explode and send shrapnel everywhere. A MAC is a kinetic weapon, and works by directly impacting it's target. Combined with a low RoF, this would make the MAC an unsuitable platform for AA coverage.

• Defender0 likes this
Out of darkness, these blades will light our way.

Glory and honor guide our acension.

On the blood of our fathers on the blood of our sons.

The true devotee honors our name with actions, not words.

Victory is secured not from the throne, but from the frontlines

#22 XtremeRoflcopter

XtremeRoflcopter

Petty Officer Second Class

• Contributor
  • 387 posts
  • LocationWorking the till at the Bank of Rofl handing out loans to all the noobs.

Posted 14 December 2013 - 05:16 PM

That, and and a MAC round doesn't explode and send shrapnel everywhere. A MAC is a kinetic weapon, and works by directly impacting it's target. Combined with a low RoF, this would make the MAC an unsuitable platform for AA coverage.

I understand what you are saying.... although I wonder if it's possible to attach a bomb to a mac.... since there is no explosive force of the round firing it wouldn't detonate the charge on the mac...

It's easier to work on a map if a lot of Rum is involved...

#23 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 05:26 PM

The is no point, not to mention is issue of detonating a fuse at the proper time when the round is moving at a relativistic speed.

"Japan received freedom so hard it was atomizing." -VDNKh
Spoiler

#24 XtremeRoflcopter

XtremeRoflcopter

• Contributor
  • 387 posts
  • LocationWorking the till at the Bank of Rofl handing out loans to all the noobs.

Posted 14 December 2013 - 07:33 PM

The is no point, not to mention is issue of detonating a fuse at the proper time when the round is moving at a relativistic speed.

I'm pretty sure a simply contact detonation would suffice? Even if it's not possible still a cool idea... firing an explosive at that velocity.  

#25 Burny007

Burny007

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 14 December 2013 - 07:49 PM

Just load a MAC with a shit-tin of BB's. That'll sort those pesky fighters out.

• sloosecannon, Bornstellaris, oneilljamesvaughn528 and 2 others like this

#26 Rovert10

Rovert10

Balance Team

• Mod Staff
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 09:14 PM

I'm pretty sure a simply contact detonation would suffice? Even if it's not possible still a cool idea... firing an explosive at that velocity.  

What the heck is point of the MAC Round if it's just going to explode on contact?

The whole point is to punch through everything, not vaporize itself on contact... if we wanted big boom we just send hoards of missiles that I don't know, track?

#27 XtremeRoflcopter

XtremeRoflcopter

• Contributor
  • 387 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:03 PM

What the heck is point of the MAC Round if it's just going to explode on contact?

The whole point is to punch through everything, not vaporize itself on contact... if we wanted big boom we just send hoards of missiles that I don't know, track?

I'm talking like how a tank's armor piercing round works. Breaks through the hull, then detonates. 

#28 Requiem

Requiem

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:09 PM

MACs are more like the discarding SABOT round rather than HEAT.

#29 Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Necromancer Supreme, agig did 9/11 2015

• Authorized Playtester
  • 1,723 posts
  • Steam:Fleet Admiral agigabyte
  • LocationUNSC Skrubtester

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:10 PM

OOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF TTTTTTTTTTTTTTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WE WILL RIP THEIR SKULLS FROM THEIR SPINES, AND TOSS THEM AWAY, LAUGHIN'!

Oh, I know what the ladies like... -Sarge Johnson

God have mercy on whatever alien race discovers this forum long after the human race destroys itself -Crisiss

Quotes from anywhere
Spoiler
[/quote]

#30 Aunt Gruntie

Aunt Gruntie

Sterilized Food Nipples!

• Contributor
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:13 PM

I'm talking like how a tank's armor piercing round works. Breaks through the hull, then detonates. 

That's only true for HEAT rounds. The round used most commonly by modern tanks, to my understanding, to take out another tank is the SABOT round which functions very similarly to the MAC round, i.e. it's purely a kinetic weapon (using kinetic energy to do damage to a target). basically functioning like an extra EXTRA large bullet

Help me Sergeant I'm lost in Kurfluffle land!

#31 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:25 PM

Rolf modern tank rounds do not work like that. Even HEAT rounds detonate on the outside of the tank. They force a molten copper (or a similar metal) jet through the armor of the tank the  molten metal is what detonates the ammunition inside the tank. There is one major problem with this type of round is that explosive reactive armor dissipates the molten metal before it can penetrate. You also have armor like the armor on the Abrams series and the Challenger 2 that dissipates the molten metal inside the armor of the tank. As a result the main anti-tank round used today is the discarding sabot round. This round is essentially a huge dart. It penetrates the armor and delivers strait kinetic punch. That is what destroys the tank.

Spoiler

#32 Dianno5741

Dianno5741

Chief Petty Officer

• Members
  • 581 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 15 December 2013 - 12:25 AM

So, the stalwart.

Now the plan for it is to take over the AA responsibilities of the fleet. Thereby providing its canon role of fleet support. It will have a MAC that has a longer cooldown than the paris so the paris will retain its spot as heavy frigate. it will be similar to the charon only its AA PD guns will be anti fighter class and the charons will be nothing special. The stalwart and the charon will serve as utility/fleet support while the Paris, Thanatos, and Halcyon will serve as primary combat ships with capitals to enhance/support.

If it uses the MAC against fighters its due to the AI, but we dont have any intention of allowing it to do that.

The mako will be regulated to gunboat anti corvette duties due to the nature of the Covenant/UNSC balance that will be discussed soon. This is subject to change once we figure a few things out but thats where we are going.

• SternuS likes this

bDNWw7L.png

#33 ShadowOfIntent

ShadowOfIntent

The Master Janitor

• Members
  • 182 posts
  • LocationYou don't feel the breathing on your neck?

Posted 15 December 2013 - 12:42 AM

What agigabyte said, might as well make another topic for this.
Spoiler

#34 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 12:45 AM

the question was answered by Dianno there is no need to make a new topic.

Spoiler

#35 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

Banned user who criticised terrorists

• Members
  • 3,455 posts
  • LocationANGLIA BRUV, HOME TO THE PRODIGY, NON CRIMINAL GANGSTAS AND FARMERS

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:16 AM

Rolf modern tank rounds do not work like that. Even HEAT rounds detonate on the outside of the tank. They force a molten copper (or a similar metal) jet through the armor of the tank the  molten metal is what detonates the ammunition inside the tank. There is one major problem with this type of round is that explosive reactive armor dissipates the molten metal before it can penetrate. You also have armor like the armor on the Abrams series and the Challenger 2 that dissipates the molten metal inside the armor of the tank. As a result the main anti-tank round used today is the discarding sabot round. This round is essentially a huge dart. It penetrates the armor and delivers strait kinetic punch. That is what destroys the tank.

"detonate?" they ignite outside the tank, if it detonated there would be molten metal hitting the outside of the tank.

They ignite, bore trough the armour then detonate once there inside the armour in s spherical dispersal pattern, the actual chances of hitting ammunition stowage on a modern MBT is around 10%, but what its does do, is kill the crew, or at least ignite the fuel.

Furthermore the m1a2 series of MBT does not use dispersive armour, it relies on depleted uranium, meaning that a copper head/HEAT round can more easily penetrate it than the M1a1 and its Chombham-dorchester class armour. APDS rounds are more easily negated by sloped armour, as they can bounce alot easier dues to reduced size amd mass, which is all fine and dandy if you want to penetrate at flat tank the the T series, leopard series up to 2A5, IFVs, and older tank models but is useless against sloped tanks like the chally, abrams, mekhava, leopards 2a5 and 2a6  

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#36 Bornstellaris

Bornstellaris

The Winter Soldier

• Mod Staff
  • 1,533 posts
  • Steam:Bornstellaris
  • LocationCivil War

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:44 AM

You guys want to argue, start another topic. Not another post about anything but UNSC seige frigates in this topic.
  • Defender0 and Dianno5741 like this

"But I knew him" 

- Bucky Barnes

Spoiler

#37 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

Banned user who criticised terrorists

• Members
  • 3,455 posts
  • LocationANGLIA BRUV, HOME TO THE PRODIGY, NON CRIMINAL GANGSTAS AND FARMERS

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:46 AM

Corrections are not arguments.

Also why was the "map makers needed" thread removed?

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#38 Dianno5741

Dianno5741

Chief Petty Officer

• Members
  • 581 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:08 AM

Seriously? I dont care if they are corrections, arguments, facts, or your fucking opinion. Its off topic and its rude to say "Corrections" Which implies that what you are stating is fact and not failing in the slightest. If you are great, if you arnt than thats great too. Either way start a private convo and bash it out, This was about the siege frigate. The question has been answered.

Thank you for your cooperation, Good night.

• Unikraken likes this

bDNWw7L.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users