#1 VDNKh

VDNKh

Creator of Worlds

• Inactive Staff
  • 344 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:57 PM

Feeling daring and want to play with the Flood on? Here are some of the basics:

• What the Flood can do:

The Flood are Sins pirates on steroids. Not only can they raid planets, they will capture the planet and continue to spread after that, beyond their raids. They are very unpredictable and fast so always expect the Flood, even if you do not have the most bounty on your head. 

• Infection

The Flood can take over your: frigates, cruisers, capitals, and buildings via their Flood Spores. These are strikecraft the come out of any Flood ship and infect other ships to join the Flood. They cannot however infect starbases. Building starbases and giving them the Auxiliary Government upgrade to prevent losing the planet to the infection is a great way to hault their advance.

• Numbers advantage:

Having more ships is more important than having better ships. Having more ships for the Flood spores to target means less pressure on your anti-strikecraft weapons to fend them off. Fighting your own ships turned infected sucks, so don't give the Flood the opportunity to take your better hard to kill ships. Keep your capitals and cruisers out of the fight.

• UNSC and Covenant:

The UNSC is better equip to fight the Flood because you can build more ships than the Covenant can, and every ship has some form of anti-strikecraft weapons on it. If you choose to play as the Covenant, don't face the Flood naked, bring plenty of the Covenant's anti-strikecraft ship with you.

• Planet Defenses

Static defenses such as SMACs and Hangers are easy pickings for the Flood. Nothings worse than your own SMAC turning around and firing on you. Don't build defenses where you know the Flood will come knocking.

Edit: Hangers, turns out are useful in large numbers. All those Sabres are good at keeping the spores at bay. Would recommend if placed close as possible to the planet. This is doubly true for hanger upgrades on starbases.

• Team Work

Working with a team mate is almost essential to completely wiping out the Flood. Facing the Flood and an enemy faction is the best way to lose. 

If you have more insight please feel free to share it here.

• sloosecannon, Defender0, HTRK74JR and 3 others like this
"Well if the AI is so retarded the answer is simple, just make the player dumber too."

- Ancient Modding Proverb

#2 HTRK74JR

HTRK74JR

t(-_-)t

• Members
  • 585 posts
  • LocationUNSC Horizon

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:38 PM

If you don't enjoy the flood, and are a useless grunt stuck on easy mode, turn pirates off.

If you are an Elite on Legendary turn pirates on, and the realize you truly are a grunt as you cry, and cry as the flood steamroll you after 20 minutes.

• sloosecannon, Defender0, spartan-G257 and 5 others like this
Spoiler

#3 Alonzo999

Alonzo999

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • Steam:Alonzo472
  • LocationSome were in merica

Posted 19 December 2013 - 04:13 PM

If you don't enjoy the flood, and are a useless grunt stuck on easy mode, turn pirates off.

If you are an Elite on Legendary turn pirates on, and the realize you truly are a grunt as you cry, and cry as the flood steamroll you after 20 minutes.

i lasted 2hrs my star bases lasted 14

#4 Spartan-117

Spartan-117

Jon

• Members
  • 108 posts
  • LocationBeyond the Wall knowing nothing - AKA England.

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:22 PM

So I spent a good hour amassing insane defenses, turrets, mines and starbases aswell as built an armada of ships waiting for a covie assult on my frontline, only for a flood invasion force, the size of which of which i can only describe as "Dafuq" to attack a planet a couple of jumps away. I send in my brave and mighty fleet to counter the flood.

Within around 5 mins the covies i had been waiting for were hammering my frontline planet and i was watching my homeworld being destroyed by my own fleet... now under flood control.

I's gonna be a loooong afternoon....

• Unleashed and James7100 like this

#5 Cmdr Daefaron

Cmdr Daefaron

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:28 PM

Question, do the flood attack fleets come from the flood planets, or just slipspace in randomly anywhere?

#6 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:18 AM

Question, do the flood attack fleets come from the flood planets, or just slipspace in randomly anywhere?

Any planet captured by the flood - including ones captured by a raid
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#7 Mrripley9

Mrripley9

Chief Petty Officer

• Authorized Playtester
  • 569 posts
  • Steam:The Rip-meister
  • LocationReach :P

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:29 PM

The thing is, I don't think it's possible to defeat the Flood. They kill and take over EVERYTHING. It's kind of fun to watch the enemy get destroyed by the flood. At the same time, you better be careful. Once they're done with them, they'll be after you. It just depends on how long you can last. I would guess that's the main goal. 

“Usually, the good Lord works in mysterious ways. But not today! This here is 66 tons of straight-up, H.E-spewing dee-vine intervention! If God is love, then you can call me 'Cupid'!”

76561198099678337.png

#8 Aeonlord

Aeonlord

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 January 2014 - 02:54 PM

Idk if its just me but the flood don't seem that hard. Yea if you don't pay attention and one of your planets fall to them and a flood fleet shows up behind your front line planets things can get hairy. I'm not saying the flood aren't a challenge but with planning and perseverance you can out last there initial purge. Then you just build a clean up fleet and destroy all the worlds they've claimed.

also quick question. Can the flood capture a neutral planet?

#9 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:16 PM

Idk if its just me but the flood don't seem that hard. Yea if you don't pay attention and one of your planets fall to them and a flood fleet shows up behind your front line planets things can get hairy. I'm not saying the flood aren't a challenge but with planning and perseverance you can out last there initial purge. Then you just build a clean up fleet and destroy all the worlds they've claimed.
also quick question. Can the flood capture a neutral planet?

Yes they can...
#define true false

Spoiler

#10 Aeonlord

Aeonlord

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 January 2014 - 05:14 PM

That explains a few things. How does that work exactly? Like when the main raid leaves a flood planet will they capture all the neutral planets they pass though on there way, or do only the flood reinforcements the flood get after capturing a planet seek out neutral planets?

#11 Rovert10

Rovert10

Balance Team

• Mod Staff
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 06:18 PM

Spam Mako and Paris classes.

#12 Cmdr Daefaron

Cmdr Daefaron

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:15 AM

So if you wanted to do a 'survival match' you should set it up where the players have a single chokepoint that the flood must go through to reach their planets? And all flood bases are on the other side with a buffer area? I ask because I'm thinking about playing in galaxy forge to create a flood invasion map. :P

#13 Mrripley9

Mrripley9

Chief Petty Officer

• Authorized Playtester
  • 569 posts
  • Steam:The Rip-meister
  • LocationReach :P

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:11 PM

Although the flood are a tough batch of enemies, they're not impossible to beat. http://www.youtube.c...h?v=YM37rGj5r0U

“Usually, the good Lord works in mysterious ways. But not today! This here is 66 tons of straight-up, H.E-spewing dee-vine intervention! If God is love, then you can call me 'Cupid'!”

76561198099678337.png

#14 Hopit

Hopit

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:37 AM

Although the flood are a tough batch of enemies, they're not impossible to beat. http://www.youtube.c...h?v=YM37rGj5r0U

tell that to my 20 planet humanity whose only survivor is a planet I renamed "Cadia" with 15 Macs, 5 hangars, 150 mines and 10 Makos, just to survive the Flood extermination. Nvm. it just got raped hard.

I also managed to get military victory, because the flood managed to destroy covenant before me, YAY!

On that day, mankind received a grim reminder. We lived in fear of the Flood and were disgraced to live in these cages we called starbases

#15 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:30 PM

Yeah 10 Makos? You're screwed lol...
#define true false

Spoiler

#16 Cmdr Daefaron

Cmdr Daefaron

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:48 PM

Does the "Spartan boarding party" ability affect flood controlled ships at all? For fun I'm doing a vs flood match on a testing map. Trying to figure out how my fleet should be set up capship wise. Thinking I'll go with a bunch of Athens, a fully hanger focused anchor station and several hanger defense structures, with all fighters on jump in side :).

#17 Spartan-117

Spartan-117

Jon

• Members
  • 108 posts
  • LocationBeyond the Wall knowing nothing - AKA England.

Posted 08 January 2014 - 04:46 AM

"tips for fighting the flood"

Don't.

• sloosecannon, Defender0 and Centurian128 like this

#18 EKHawkman

EKHawkman

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:36 AM

Does the "Spartan boarding party" ability affect flood controlled ships at all? For fun I'm doing a vs flood match on a testing map. Trying to figure out how my fleet should be set up capship wise. Thinking I'll go with a bunch of Athens, a fully hanger focused anchor station and several hanger defense structures, with all fighters on jump in side :).

I believe no, the tooltip says uninfected ship if I recall correctly. 

#19 Cmdr Daefaron

Cmdr Daefaron

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:25 PM

I believe no, the tooltip says uninfected ship if I recall correctly. 

Hm. So if I went with those it'd be for missile spam. What do the flood fleets usually have? Would SMAC stations be helpful or go for more hanger defenses and have the fleet kill the ships?

#20 Aeonlord

Aeonlord

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:39 PM

I've found that without a support fleet almost all defense structures can only slow down the flood. The Smacs are easily captured and if there the close to each other the uncaptured ones will destroy the infected ones and vice versa. Hangers unless built in huge numbers don't stand a chance either. Now mines!! That should be the first thing you build when facing the flood!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users