35 replies to this topic

#1 CanadaMan7

CanadaMan7

Commander-in-Chief

• Administrators
  • 1,247 posts
  • LocationCharleston, SC

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:45 PM

It’s been another fantastic year for Sins of the Prophets, and I’m more pleased than ever with the project. We’ve reached new highs and our ties to the Sins of a Solar Empire modding community and other Halo mods have never been stronger. We’ve released an incredible alpha to overwhelming critical acclaim. However, there’ve been a few rumblings over our placement in the Mod of the Year competition and some general suspicion of the voting for some choice mods in the Top 5. It ignited a firestorm of debate and general chaos in the section that doesn’t show the better face of our community in dealing with this situation. It’s time to acknowledge what happened and to handle it admirably while we negotiate for a better tomorrow.

The hubbub about us not placing within the Top 5 when we placed number two last year was pretty palpable, but it was a conflict based on a ModDB policy that we were unaware of. After exchanging messages with the site administration, we were informed by “INtense!” that due to ranking within the Top 5 the previous year, we would be automatically demoted to honorable mention (Still a major prize! Thank you, community!) unless we beat our previous outing. He went on to quote our true standings, which placed us at number four. We were 73 member votes away from the next contestant. This brings into question how guest votes are counted and our apparent wasted effort in the massive PR blitz we had for the competition.

While we tried to rustle up any and all Halo fans in a several thousand mile radius, other mods showed up on the radar after having a small amount of watchers and views. One mod in particular still managed to get one vote per minute for the last 12 hours of the competition in either the largest member roundup I’ve ever seen or a poorly disguised bot campaign. Intense maintains that it was members who voted for them, but it remains to be seen whether they were ‘human members’. Meanwhile, Operation Black Mesa is no longer just a mod. It’s received Greenlight status from Steam and will become a fully fledged indie game shortly. That’s great for them, and they should be congratulated. Correct me if I’m wrong though, but I believe they have a separate competition for that.

So when all this came to light, people from the SoaSE community were understandably angry. Furious, even. The comments section of the player’s choice awards dissolved into a warzone of slander and suspicion. We looked like angry, entitled children due to not being able to air our proof of voter fraud. There’s nothing we can do to change the results though, so the least we can do is calm everyone down while still informing them of the issues. That being said, we’re prepared to offer some helpful additions to the Mod of the Year competition that would encourage fairness and greater exposure for more types of mods.

Potential Solutions:

1) 3/5s compromise for guest votes: Guest votes should still hold some weight, but would understandable be less than a full fledged member.

2) Break up the competition into Genres

3) Further screen for mods that have attained (or are applying for) Greenlight status

4) Greater voting transparency, with public vote tally

5) Disqualify mods that seem to have inorganic voting take place.

• Emberblaque, JasonAHawkins, Defender0 and 13 others like this

yLM4TEk.png

#2 Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Necromancer Supreme, agig did 9/11 2015

• Authorized Playtester
  • 1,723 posts
  • Steam:Fleet Admiral agigabyte
  • LocationUNSC Skrubtester

Posted 24 December 2013 - 08:42 PM

Giga likey.
WE WILL RIP THEIR SKULLS FROM THEIR SPINES, AND TOSS THEM AWAY, LAUGHIN'!

Oh, I know what the ladies like... -Sarge Johnson

God have mercy on whatever alien race discovers this forum long after the human race destroys itself -Crisiss

Quotes from anywhere
Spoiler
[/quote]

#3 HTRK74JR

HTRK74JR

t(-_-)t

• Members
  • 585 posts
  • LocationUNSC Horizon

Posted 24 December 2013 - 09:29 PM

This entire ordeal has greatly angered many of us, and awoken the Kraken. I never thought i would see Unikraken angry, but holy shit. I think it is high time we switch from ModDB and focus on other large media sites, and just say fuck it.

• CoSSpartan058 and zaun3694 like this
Spoiler

#4 Rovert10

Rovert10

Balance Team

• Mod Staff
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 09:34 PM

This entire ordeal has greatly angered many of us, and awoken the Kraken. I never thought i would see Unikraken angry, but holy shit. I think it is high time we switch from ModDB and focus on other large media sites, and just say fuck it.

Name one site dedicated to mods that's bigger than Moddb. It sure as hell ain't Nexus.

• Bornstellaris, Lavo and Cole Protocol like this

#5 CoSSpartan058

CoSSpartan058

Original Badass

• Contributor
  • 241 posts
  • LocationONI Facility, Reach

Posted 24 December 2013 - 09:38 PM

This explanation from ModDb is shadier than the 2000 election and water gate combined.

Posted Image

#6 HTRK74JR

HTRK74JR

t(-_-)t

• Members
  • 585 posts
  • LocationUNSC Horizon

Posted 24 December 2013 - 09:41 PM

Name one site dedicated to mods that's bigger than Moddb. It sure as hell ain't Nexus.

Reddit can be turned into one, and it is far easier to discuss stuff, and the comment section is a FUCKTON better than ModDBs.

Spoiler

#7 Cole Protocol

Cole Protocol

Balancing Coder - Particle Effects Artist

• Mod Staff
  • 1,390 posts
  • Steam:Cole Protocol
  • LocationSpirit of Fire, chilling with the Enduring Conviction.

Posted 24 December 2013 - 09:42 PM

Reddit can be turned into one, and it is far easier to discuss stuff, and the comment section is a FUCKTON better than ModDBs.

But can you download SotP from reddit? i think not.

#8 HTRK74JR

HTRK74JR

t(-_-)t

• Members
  • 585 posts
  • LocationUNSC Horizon

Posted 24 December 2013 - 09:52 PM

But can you download SotP from reddit? i think not.

Link to a file hosting site, Instant approval, easy to disable if something goes wrong.

Spoiler

#9 Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Necromancer Supreme, agig did 9/11 2015

• Authorized Playtester
  • 1,723 posts
  • Steam:Fleet Admiral agigabyte
  • LocationUNSC Skrubtester

Posted 24 December 2013 - 09:53 PM

#Rabiddropboxuser
WE WILL RIP THEIR SKULLS FROM THEIR SPINES, AND TOSS THEM AWAY, LAUGHIN'!

Oh, I know what the ladies like... -Sarge Johnson

God have mercy on whatever alien race discovers this forum long after the human race destroys itself -Crisiss

Quotes from anywhere
Spoiler
[/quote]

#10 ShadowOfIntent

ShadowOfIntent

The Master Janitor

• Members
  • 182 posts
  • LocationYou don't feel the breathing on your neck?

Posted 24 December 2013 - 10:58 PM

Finally some frigging information!  The silence on your guy's part as to explaining what happened was killing me and pissing me off. Thank you.

Spoiler

#11 Rovert10

Rovert10

Balance Team

• Mod Staff
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 11:23 PM

Does Reddit have an already established userbase solely for mods?

Does Reddit have consistent coverage for mods on their front page and everywhere on site?

Will people bother moving away from the centralized and convenient system that is Moddb?

Can Reddit provide accolades worthy of note compared to Moddb?

Moving to Reddit is a stupid move to try since it's a big resounding NO to all those questions. Using the reasoning that "oh Reddit has more traffic/population and has a better comment system" doesn't make it better for mod promotion in anyway. We'd be burried under all the other crap that Reddit has.

• Bornstellaris, DGaius, Dianno5741 and 3 others like this

#12 Emberblaque

Emberblaque

Commander

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,356 posts
  • LocationThonotosassa, FL

Posted 25 December 2013 - 12:15 AM

Yeah, there's no reason to forgo ModDB's services. It would accomplish nothing.

• CanadaMan7 and DGaius like this

#13 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • Steam:SternuS
  • LocationItaly

Posted 25 December 2013 - 01:14 AM

One vote per minute for the last 12 hours...no comment.

I like the Honorable Mention thing, but I think that if we deserved the Fourth place, we should be there.

• Defender0 likes this

c048b5cb018d634cb3a0d9bd3617eb50-d547q01

Peter Jackson, 27/07/2013: 1.08 am. A 20 hour day ... 15 years of Tolkien ... 771 days of shooting ...

"We would be fools to pursue the impossible simply because you believe the achievable is flawed" - Ugin

#14 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

Banned user who criticised terrorists

• Members
  • 3,455 posts
  • LocationANGLIA BRUV, HOME TO THE PRODIGY, NON CRIMINAL GANGSTAS AND FARMERS

Posted 25 December 2013 - 04:00 AM

Its funny, in SoTP one of the UNSC capital ship default names is "honourable mention."

• Unikraken, m468 and zaun3694 like this

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#15 HTRK74JR

HTRK74JR

t(-_-)t

• Members
  • 585 posts
  • LocationUNSC Horizon

Posted 25 December 2013 - 04:41 AM

Does Reddit have an already established userbase solely for mods?

Does Reddit have consistent coverage for mods on their front page and everywhere on site?

Will people bother moving away from the centralized and convenient system that is Moddb?

Can Reddit provide accolades worthy of note compared to Moddb?

Moving to Reddit is a stupid move to try since it's a big resounding NO to all those questions. Using the reasoning that "oh Reddit has more traffic/population and has a better comment system" doesn't make it better for mod promotion in anyway. We'd be burried under all the other crap that Reddit has.

Don't have to sounds like a prick. It was only a suggestion,

Spoiler

#16 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 07:31 AM

Don't have to sounds like a prick. It was only a suggestion,

That you carried on with after being told that Reddit would not fit our purposes. He responded in the same tone that you used with him.
"Japan received freedom so hard it was atomizing." -VDNKh
Spoiler

#17 HTRK74JR

HTRK74JR

t(-_-)t

• Members
  • 585 posts
  • LocationUNSC Horizon

Posted 25 December 2013 - 08:01 AM

• The Jaykon Bacon mod is the one i think has the bots voting for it. Why? They claimed to have a massive following outside of ModDB. Weird. Their Facebook only has 206 likes, Their YouTube advertising is limited to 3 videos, and they do not even have any forums open to the public.

Now this seems a tad suspicous because this means that this mod that was not publicized at all somehow beat 95 other mods for the #4 slot in upcoming mod of the year. Even though it got #4, it didn't gain anymore publicity or such as a result.

They claim to have 29 people working for the past 2 years on this project. What. 29 people working for 2 years, using mods already created as assets, looking exactly like game modes in Garrys Mod, This is bullshit. Enough with This bullshit mod.

• In Country Vietnam is being produced by an actual game developer? If that is what i am looking at correctly, they released the first non-valve game that sold on Steam way back when. Their Facebook only has 833 likes, and their YouTube channel only has 2 videos, and their most recent one released a month ago, has 15k views, which is pretty good actually.

Their forum site is dead, with maybe 5 different people posting in the last 3 months, which is weird considering they managed to rack up the votes to get to the #5 slot in the upcoming mods. With less than a thousand watchers, and only 155k page views on ModDB over the last 3 years, one questions where they got the support to get the #5 slot.

• Black Mesa. Yeah, since this was Greenlit, this does NOT deserve to be running on moddb for upcoming mod of the year. Enough said.

• I am the King! This mod has no forums, no facebook, no twitter or anything linking to Moddb. Less than 200k views and it has been up for almost a year now. Where did the support for this mod come from, when it only has 400 watchers?

• Ederal, Shards of Order. This one has an actual website, but it has been down for months and recently came back up. only a few dozen users at most, but the developer of the mod has created several mods, and brings those fanbases from those mods to this mod.

• zaun3694 and Cole Protocol like this
Spoiler

#18 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • Steam:Unikraken
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 25 December 2013 - 08:43 AM

blah blah blah conspiracy

At this point that isn't productive. Stop doing it, at least on places we control. I will say this one thing and then it's time for the community to move on and let go of this: MOTY is probably mostly a sham. I don't imagine we'll be focusing on it again, and we probably will never officially go from Unreleased to Released on ModDB to ensure they don't scrape any Desura-related money off of us. They've screwed all my workers out of an accolade (4th place, possibly even 3rd or 2nd depending on a proper investigation) that would have looked very shiny on a resume for someone trying to get into the gaming industry.

Now, we're all unhappy, but the rage can only be impotent, there is no constructive outlet. Time to move on.

• CanadaMan7, Defender0, Bornstellaris and 4 others like this

[10:46:02 PM] VDNKh: Piercing Lance
[10:46:11 PM] VDNKh: fitting name for the ship that just fucked me

"Unikraken can soothe any nasties."

#19 Commander Jbug

Commander Jbug

I'm a derp derp.

• Members
  • 272 posts
  • LocationNew York (Bagel Land)

Posted 25 December 2013 - 08:54 AM

I'm not pissed about In Country Vietnam, hell, even voted for it. It actually looks pretty good and a lot of people think so.The only one that I'm really angry with is the Jaykin mod.

It seems like when someone creates a new fool-proof solution, someone gives birth to a better fool.

#20 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 09:33 AM

Guys, lets just move on and enjoy xmas. Im sitting here playing my newly opened copy of pokemon Y, while my mom watches TV. Surely the rest of you have at least SOMETHING similar to do?
  • ahunter257, DGaius and SPECTRE like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users