• This topic is locked This topic is locked
63 replies to this topic

#41 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:23 AM

I don't think choosing the autumn over the marathon was a choice as such, i think that due to the obliteration of the marathons at the battle of earth that rather than build 10 veesels that were OK at combat, they would Ultra-retrofit existing junked designs where its predecessor passed into legend.

except that the autumn class is not a refit, it is an entirely new ship, built from scratch

• Unikraken and Lavo like this

#42 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • Steam:Unikraken
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:25 AM

except that the autumn class is not a refit, it is an entirely new ship, built from scratch

D-Dawg is correct. The Autumn class is a completely new ship based off the PoA prototype.

[10:46:02 PM] VDNKh: Piercing Lance
[10:46:11 PM] VDNKh: fitting name for the ship that just fucked me

"Unikraken can soothe any nasties."

#43 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

Banned user who criticised terrorists

• Members
  • 3,455 posts
  • LocationANGLIA BRUV, HOME TO THE PRODIGY, NON CRIMINAL GANGSTAS AND FARMERS

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:39 AM

Is it? i never knew that. I imagine that since everybody knows the location of earth they would only have the best ships protecting it, I imagine that the colonies would still be worked by marathons and the like.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#44 Cole Protocol

Cole Protocol

Balancing Coder - Particle Effects Artist

• Mod Staff
  • 1,390 posts
  • Steam:Cole Protocol
  • LocationSpirit of Fire, chilling with the Enduring Conviction.

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:41 AM

Is it? i never knew that. I imagine that since everybody knows the location of earth they would only have the best ships protecting it, I imagine that the colonies would still be worked by marathons and the like.

Are you kidding? they got the infinity for that. And that thing is practically a founder ship survability wise.

#45 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:44 AM

Are you kidding? they got the infinity for that. And that thing is practically a founder ship survability wise.

No its main mission now is exploration of the galaxy. I imagine that the new slipsace drive could propel it halfway across the galaxy and be home for afternoon tea. So Infinity could be halfway across the galaxy and when earth needs her she's there in a moments notice.

2 places and 2 jobs at once.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#46 Cole Protocol

Cole Protocol

Balancing Coder - Particle Effects Artist

• Mod Staff
  • 1,390 posts
  • Steam:Cole Protocol
  • LocationSpirit of Fire, chilling with the Enduring Conviction.

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:46 AM

No its main mission now is exploration of the galaxy. I imagine that the new slipsace drive could propel it halfway across the galaxy and be home for afternoon tea. So Infinity could be halfway across the galaxy and when earth needs her she's there in a moments notice.

2 places and 2 jobs at once.

OK then, im sure earth had a few SMACS back up, so relly on those.

#47 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 12:27 PM

There are almost no marathons left in the fleet in the last years of the war they were pulled back to the inner colonies specificly the Sol system and Reach as such all most all of them were destroyed.
"Japan received freedom so hard it was atomizing." -VDNKh
Spoiler

#48 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 12:31 PM

There are almost no marathons left in the fleet in the last years of the war they were pulled back to the inner colonies specificly the Sol system and Reach as such all most all of them were destroyed.

I doubt that, nobody can truly say that they were all destroyed, unless you happen to have the bible of halo.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#49 D4RKST0RM99

D4RKST0RM99

There's a DarkStorm coming Mr. Canadaman...

• Authorized Playtester
  • 961 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 28 December 2013 - 12:51 PM

I doubt that, nobody can truly say that they were all destroyed, unless you happen to have the bible of halo.

At the time of halo CE the Marathon class was aging and on its way out along with the already re-retired Halcyons, they wont be staying around if their are any left and they were only kept around because the UNSC needed heavy warships so the Valiant classes numbers would have been too scarce to have on their own. Also it was stated in the novel Thursday War that the Infinity's current mission was to hunt down the last of the Covenant Assault carriers(or any ship capable of glassing human worlds ever again) as so many were pinched or redirected after the collapse of the covenant by either loyalist factions or kigyar pirates.

#50 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 12:51 PM

Correction they were decommissioned. The source is the visual guide.
Spoiler

#51 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 01:15 PM

Correction they were decommissioned. The source is the visual guide.

Most remaining Marathon-class cruisers were decommissioned after the Autumn-class heavy cruiser was introduced, with only a handful staying in service.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#52 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 01:40 PM

SPECTRE the marathons are as a class gone. You can count the remaining ships on one hand. The class has been decommissioned.
Spoiler

#53 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 01:49 PM

SPECTRE the marathons are as a class gone. You can count the remaining ships on one hand. The class has been decommissioned.

The class is not considered decommission until all ships of said class are out of service.

The very definition of decommission is to "terminate its current career." Since it is still in use it is not decommissioned, it is relegated to other roles or special duties.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#54 D4RKST0RM99

D4RKST0RM99

• Authorized Playtester
  • 961 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 28 December 2013 - 02:04 PM

The class is not considered decommission until all ships of said class are out of service.

The very definition of decommission is to "terminate its current career." Since it is still in use it is not decommissioned, it is relegated to other roles or special duties.

Isn't the Concorde airliner considered decomissioned but a few are still kept operational for other roles? this example may not apply, just curious.

#55 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 02:09 PM

SPECTRE Regardless those ships will soon be out of service. Now the Autumn is the mainline heavy warship of the UNSC the marathon was not continued because it faired terribly against the covenant. The Autumn class looks similar to the Halcyon because the halcyon's design was highly resilient. Now that the UNSC has the time to produce designs of warships that will not die from one or two plasma torp impacts they will make them. The autumn class heavy cruiser is the result of everything that the UNSC has learned from combat with the covenant. It takes the lessons that were so hard fought during the war and places them at the for front of the fleet. The UNSC is no longer fighting for its survival but it is fighting to gain more than just a foot hold in the Orion Arm of the Galaxy.
  • Drewlew likes this
Spoiler

#56 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 02:30 PM

Isn't the Concorde airliner considered decomissioned but a few are still kept operational for other roles? this example may not apply, just curious.

Its considered retired, none of them fly.

SPECTRE Regardless those ships will soon be out of service. Now the Autumn is the mainline heavy warship of the UNSC the marathon was not continued because it faired terribly against the covenant. The Autumn class looks similar to the Halcyon because the halcyon's design was highly resilient. Now that the UNSC has the time to produce designs of warships that will not die from one or two plasma torp impacts they will make them. The autumn class heavy cruiser is the result of everything that the UNSC has learned from combat with the covenant. It takes the lessons that were so hard fought during the war and places them at the for front of the fleet. The UNSC is no longer fighting for its survival but it is fighting to gain more than just a foot hold in the Orion Arm of the Galaxy.

Not necessarily, you have no idea whats going on in the UNSC now, they may need all the ships they can get there hands on. Who says that it hasn't received some post war retrofits?

You state to much conjecture as if it were fact.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#57 D4RKST0RM99

D4RKST0RM99

• Authorized Playtester
  • 961 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 28 December 2013 - 02:32 PM

Halo 4 the Essential Visual Guide-

AUTUMN CLASS HEAVY CRUISER

LENGTH 1,425M.

BEAM 383M.

HEIGHT 431M.

PRIMARY ARMAMENT MARK IX HEAVY COIL 45J3D3/MAC.

SECONDARY ARMAMENT M58 ARCHER MISSILE DELIVERY SYSTEM.

TERTIARY ARMAMENT M910 RAMPART 50MM POINT DEFENSE NETWORK.

At the start of the war, the UNSC’s two most prolific cruiser classes were Halcyon and Marathon. Interestingly, neither of these classes survived the war unscathed- most Halcyon-class cruisers were decommissioned during the final years of the war with the Marathon-class following shortly behind with only a handful remaining in service. A last ditch effort to rend the Covenant’s control of Reach, however, created the legendary Pillar of Autumn, a heavily modified Halcyon-class cruiser refit specifically for Operation: RED FLAG in 2552. While the Autumn would be destroyed on Halo later, its numerous upgrades were highly regaled and inspired the Autumn-class cruiser, helping to further augment the UNSC’s post-war Navy.

#58 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 02:34 PM

And does that relate to my post? I own the guide....
Spoiler

#59 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 02:42 PM

Halo 4 the Essential Visual Guide-

AUTUMN CLASS HEAVY CRUISER

LENGTH 1,425M.

BEAM 383M.

HEIGHT 431M.

PRIMARY ARMAMENT MARK IX HEAVY COIL 45J3D3/MAC.

SECONDARY ARMAMENT M58 ARCHER MISSILE DELIVERY SYSTEM.

TERTIARY ARMAMENT M910 RAMPART 50MM POINT DEFENSE NETWORK.

At the start of the war, the UNSC’s two most prolific cruiser classes were Halcyon and Marathon. Interestingly, neither of these classes survived the war unscathed- most Halcyon-class cruisers were decommissioned during the final years of the war with the Marathon-class following shortly behind with only a handful remaining in service. A last ditch effort to rend the Covenant’s control of Reach, however, created the legendary Pillar of Autumn, a heavily modified Halcyon-class cruiser refit specifically for Operation: RED FLAG in 2552. While the Autumn would be destroyed on Halo later, its numerous upgrades were highly regaled and inspired the Autumn-class cruiser, helping to further augment the UNSC’s post-war Navy.

Ive got my own book page 191, All I'm saying is that some are still in service and there is no definitive way of knowing that they will be taken out of service any time soon.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#60 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 02:47 PM

Ah but the design has the ships remaining in service will be brought out of service as more Autumns come online. It is common sense the UNSC is a lot of thing but they are not stupid.
Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users