• Create Account

Photo

Autumn-Class

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
63 replies to this topic

#21 D4RKST0RM99

D4RKST0RM99

There's a DarkStorm coming Mr. Canadaman...

• Authorized Playtester
  • 961 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:18 PM

but think how long it took to refit the POA with all the latest tech, the best the UNSC had to offer, now try to start a production line manufacturing the same ship every time (with those expensive atributes), wouldn't it be best to scale back the abilities and make it cheaper, thats what the UNSC bean counters would be thinking, Just dosen't make sence that they would mass produce a ship down to every expensive detail for such a varied role that wont be forcing it into enemy territory on a suicide mission, also how costly would it be to fit the Infinity like armor bays of the Spartan IVs onto every Autumn class built?

Am I making any sense here?

#22 Cole Protocol

Cole Protocol

Balancing Coder - Particle Effects Artist

• Mod Staff
  • 1,390 posts
  • Steam:Cole Protocol
  • LocationSpirit of Fire, chilling with the Enduring Conviction.

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:20 PM

but think how long it took to refit the POA with all the latest tech, the best the UNSC had to offer, now try to start a production line manufacturing the same ship every time, wouldn't it be best to scale back the abilities and make it cheaper, thats what the UNSC bean counters would be thinking, Just dosen't make sence that they would mass produce a ship down to every expensive detail for such a varied role that wont be forcing it into enemy territory on a suicide mission, also how costly would it be to fit the Infinity like armor bays of the Spartan IVs onto every Autumn class built?

Am I making any sense here?

You have some points here, but scaling it down would turn the autumn into a slightly better halcyon, the thing the UNSC are attempting to replace, and with the rapid advancement of human technology, it would be impractical to do otherwise.

#23 D4RKST0RM99

D4RKST0RM99

• Authorized Playtester
  • 961 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:35 PM

You have some points here, but scaling it down would turn the autumn into a slightly better halcyon, the thing the UNSC are attempting to replace, and with the rapid advancement of human technology, it would be impractical to do otherwise.

I didn't mean to scale all the way back to the original I just get the sense they put all their eggs into one basket with the refit but you cant do that every time for a mass produced ship, safe to say it would be as tough as the refit plus after 2-4 years their should be some cheaper advancements the ship class would have benefited from. That was an issue that was tackled in First Strike, when the Chief & co captured the Ascendent Justice. So if they could get it back to Earth they could learn a lot from it and advance their tech further, all they needed was time and it ran out quick. Given enough time the UNSC would surpass the covenant. You even see this in Sins when facing the AI if you dont nail them quick they just grow more powerful and spread out making them harder to kill.

And just to be clear I'm not againt the idea of having the current Autumn class in the mod, I'm saying the Autumn class canon wise would not be as powerful as the super one shot deal, Super cruiser killing, broke the bank, warship of death that the refit Pillar of Autumn was.

#24 Cole Protocol

Cole Protocol

• Mod Staff
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:38 PM

I didn't mean to scale all the way back to the original I just get the sense they put all their eggs into one basket with the refit but you cant do that every time for a mass produced ship, safe to say it would be as tough as the refit plus after 2-4 years their should be some cheaper advancements the ship class would have benefited from. That was an issue that was tackled in First Strike, when the Chief & co captured the Ascendent Justice. So if they could get it back to Earth they could learn a lot from it and advance their tech further, all they needed was time and it ran out quick. Given enough time the UNSC would surpass the covenant. You even see this in Sins when facing the AI if you dont nail them quick they just grow more powerful and spread out making them harder to kill.

But, as you can see, what was formerly advanced and out of this world to the UNSC, is now run of the mill tech, so id say while the POA was ahead of its time, the Autumn class is fitted with standard issue tech, now the POA of the "new" UNSC would have to be INF-101.

#25 D4RKST0RM99

D4RKST0RM99

• Authorized Playtester
  • 961 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:42 PM

But, as you can see, what was formerly advanced and out of this world to the UNSC, is now run of the mill tech, so id say while the POA was ahead of its time, the Autumn class is fitted with standard issue tech, now the POA of the "new" UNSC would have to be INF-101.

lol, even that sounds better, but would you sacrifice a whole side of your cruiser to extra missiles if you knew you didn't need them?

I think the point of that upgrade was so that the ship is on its own but has the firepower of two or three ships.

#26 Cole Protocol

Cole Protocol

• Mod Staff
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:45 PM

lol, even that sounds better, but would you sacrifice a whole side of your cruiser to extra missiles if you knew you didn't need them?

wait is that what this is all about? missiles? i am blind, this whole time i thought we were speaking only about generic UNSC tech....

Carry on....

#27 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • Steam:Unikraken
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:46 PM

Autumn class apparently took over the Marathon's role, as it is very prevalent in post-war scenes and Marathons are now gone. I think it's pretty clear at this point that the PoA's survivability and capability is something the UNSC needs in a post-war setting where they have the time to rebuild the fleet. The Marathon was a marginally improved Wal-Mart version of the Halcyon. The Autumn is the clear V2 of the ship, and given its namesake one can assume the armament is similar. They're no longer in rush mode, try to spam as much as they can for the next battle, so cheap isn't the driving factor anymore.

• Defender0, Lavo and Cole Protocol like this

[10:46:02 PM] VDNKh: Piercing Lance
[10:46:11 PM] VDNKh: fitting name for the ship that just fucked me

"Unikraken can soothe any nasties."

#28 Cole Protocol

Cole Protocol

• Mod Staff
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:47 PM

Autumn class apparently took over the Marathon's role, as it is very prevalent in post-war scenes and Marathons are now gone. I think it's pretty clear at this point that the PoA's survivability and capability is something the UNSC needs in a post-war setting where they have the time to rebuild the fleet. The Marathon was a marginally improved Wal-Mart version of the Halcyon. The Autumn is the clear V2 of the ship, and given its namesake one can assume the armament is similar. They're no longer in rush mode, try to spam as much as they can for the next battle, so cheap isn't the driving factor anymore.

And thus this is why in rebbelion, i just look at the marathon and think "eww, theres a better version of you, why are you here? why do follow me?" but i still know its there for timelines sake.

• D4RKST0RM99 likes this

#29 D4RKST0RM99

D4RKST0RM99

• Authorized Playtester
  • 961 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:48 PM

wait is that what this is all about? missiles? i am blind, this whole time i thought we were speaking only about generic UNSC tech....

Carry on....

but that is the point, a standard cruiser would have the generic tech and weapons of its class not the interior altering role specific upgrades of a 2-4(depending on when they started building them) year old mission design.

#30 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 11:40 PM

The autumn was the mainline combatant of the post war UNSC. Most likely it has the "triple fire MAC" because it was vastly more effective against shields. Most likely it has a larg number of post war acher and howler missiles again because they are effective. Now for the spartan IVs. In canon they are most likely not there because Infinity... But this is a game we want it to be fun so why not base some of the abilities of the original PoA. After all your mainline capital for most of the game should be the marathon. Now we know the Autumn class is 300m longer and likely (although it is not stated as having them) has shields (again speculation). It most likely has a highly precise slipspace drive (or will be refited in the near future as this is absolutely necessary as proven in the human covenant war).
  • Defender0 and Fleet Admiral agigabyte like this
"Japan received freedom so hard it was atomizing." -VDNKh
Spoiler

#31 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 27 December 2013 - 11:51 PM

Can someone look in the visual guide and see if other ships are listed as having shields, like the Strident class, because if they list it there and don't on the Halcyons that settles it pretty easily.

#32 D4RKST0RM99

D4RKST0RM99

• Authorized Playtester
  • 961 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 28 December 2013 - 12:24 AM

No mention of shields for any ship class, its understandable that the Infinity would have shields considering it has a group of Hurugok working to advance the ship further, look what one can do an old stealthed pelican in thursday war. I think it would be too soon for any other ship in the UNSC to have shields and considering how careful they were with the engineers I think they would restrict their deployment fleet wide as everyone of them has the knowledge that would far surpass anything the covies ever had, more than likely the Infinity is able to extend its shields around the Strident class ships (a titan ability already in SOASE REB) for the unsc this would get around the problem of having such little ships too underpowered to run a shield generator.

#33 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 28 December 2013 - 12:37 AM

I don't think that's true. Those frigates are normally kept inside the Infinity. It's reasonable to expect that normal UNSC ships wouldn't have shields, but if the Infinity has shields because the huragok in her worked that out, and those frigates are normally in a place where the huragok would have access to...you see where I'm going with this?

#34 D4RKST0RM99

D4RKST0RM99

• Authorized Playtester
  • 961 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 28 December 2013 - 12:47 AM

I don't think that's true. Those frigates are normally kept inside the Infinity. It's reasonable to expect that normal UNSC ships wouldn't have shields, but if the Infinity has shields because the huragok in her worked that out, and those frigates are normally in a place where the huragok would have access to...you see where I'm going with this?

totally agree, just dont know the time scale they had, were they thinking, Sure, be no problem to out fit all 10 strident class with working shield generators or,

Na that way too difficult and would take forever, hey the Infinity's shields are so bad ass they can extend to other ships, lets do that. I guess either way it shouldn't matter since from the players point of view could they tell the difference?

#35 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 28 December 2013 - 12:51 AM

I can tell you that in our mod those Strident class ships will have their own shields. The Infinity will not be able to extend shields. That's a Star Trek thing that I'm not really fond of.

#36 D4RKST0RM99

D4RKST0RM99

• Authorized Playtester
  • 961 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 28 December 2013 - 01:11 AM

I can tell you that in our mod those Strident class ships will have their own shields. The Infinity will not be able to extend shields. That's a Star Trek thing that I'm not really fond of.

I could have sworn that was a Rebellion Titan ability, perhaps it works like the SMAC since no onboard power scource would be large enough- the needed power is transmitted and then recieved and chaneled into the shields, btw how far are you going with the technological advancements?- entrenchement had the UNSC at the tech level at the time of HALO CE and the Marathon and Halcyon Cruisers were prominant with no ship onboard shielding, now with Rebellion we are now at the tech level of HALO 4 +6 months and those old cruisers are retired (according to the visual guide) so to stay current will the oldest designs be dropped as they are in the story also who is to say 6 months to a year from then every ship in the UNSC will have shields so it could be debatable exactly when u want the mod set.

also found this(much clearer than my copy) might come in handy later-

Spoiler

#37 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 28 December 2013 - 01:14 AM

We see the research progression of the factions as also a timeline progression of sorts. We are moving around some units, but largely just to work out the competitive play of the mod, as competitive human on human playing is our focus for SotP.

#38 D4RKST0RM99

D4RKST0RM99

• Authorized Playtester
  • 961 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 28 December 2013 - 01:23 AM

We see the research progression of the factions as also a timeline progression of sorts. We are moving around some units, but largely just to work out the competitive play of the mod, as competitive human on human playing is our focus for SotP.

I do get the fact that we need to keep the older ships because they are iconic Halo ships and partly why people will download this mod is to see those pieces of Halo iconography in action. It is a little disappointing that many fans were turned off Halo all together because they didn'y like Halo 4 all the more reason to keep as much of the original more memorable pieces intact.

#39 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 09:55 AM

Uni the strident is a mass produced frigate after the war. With the beating that they are said to take in Spartan Assualt it is a class wide thing. Yes they don't mention their shields. However I highly doubt a strident would be able to hld position infront if a CCS while providing ground support with out them.
"Japan received freedom so hard it was atomizing." -VDNKh
Spoiler

#40 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

Banned user who criticised terrorists

• Members
  • 3,455 posts
  • LocationANGLIA BRUV, HOME TO THE PRODIGY, NON CRIMINAL GANGSTAS AND FARMERS

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:05 AM

I don't think choosing the autumn over the marathon was a choice as such, i think that due to the obliteration of the marathons at the battle of earth that rather than build 10 veesels that were OK at combat, they would Ultra-retrofit existing junked designs where its predecessor passed into legend.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users