#41 Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Necromancer Supreme, agig did 9/11 2015

• Authorized Playtester
  • 1,723 posts
  • Steam:Fleet Admiral agigabyte
  • LocationUNSC Skrubtester

Posted 13 March 2014 - 03:16 PM

I was just making a comment because all of your comparisons have something to do with America vs. UK or some iteration of the UK vs. the world. It gets old. Now if you compared writing styles of say Eric Nylund specifically to Karen Traviss, or a multitude of authors, it would be different. Making the generalization Americans vs. Brits is just getting old.

This
WE WILL RIP THEIR SKULLS FROM THEIR SPINES, AND TOSS THEM AWAY, LAUGHIN'!

Oh, I know what the ladies like... -Sarge Johnson

God have mercy on whatever alien race discovers this forum long after the human race destroys itself -Crisiss

Quotes from anywhere
Spoiler
[/quote]

#42 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

Banned user who criticised terrorists

• Members
  • 3,455 posts
  • LocationANGLIA BRUV, HOME TO THE PRODIGY, NON CRIMINAL GANGSTAS AND FARMERS

Posted 13 March 2014 - 03:23 PM

I was just making a comment because all of your comparisons have something to do with America vs. UK or some iteration of the UK vs. the world. It gets old. Now if you compared writing styles of say Eric Nylund specifically to Karen Traviss, or a multitude of authors, it would be different. Making the generalization Americans vs. Brits is just getting old.

It was a generalisation as i said. Eric Nylund really does just drone on and on. There are some deviations from this pattern (John Steinbeck is rather prominent). But its just the way it is. I was just trying to suggest a reason as to why most european halo fans didn't like the books by american authors, as much as they did in the K5 series, and why it was visa versa. Karen traviss got a lot of shit from the american community for apparently destroying the star wars novels because you Americans thought that mandolorians were based on spartans rather than an old scottish tribe, and because it was the first star wars reference where gay people were ever mentioned, and who would have guessed it? it was the mandolroians to be the first gay characters in the whole universe. I mean American generalisation says that the 300 royal guard of the Spartans were the best soldiers of ancient greece, whereas in reality it was the Sacred band of thebes (coincidentally also 300 strong), a unit made entirely out of gay men. 

She also got a lot of stick for killing dom in GoW 3, Also something that gets blamed on european writers. Its a war for survival for crying out loud. If they don't want their favorite character in a game to die, then perhaps they shouldn't be playing a game where death is involved.

I really don't have anything against you Americans, just bad experiences . I talk about this sort of stuff on here, over the internet, because i really only know people who live on continent or in the commonwealth, its also good to get a brutally honest outside opinion, (us brits really do enjoy a good debate, We're fighters you see?) than to get a :"yeh i agree with that, that and that"(look at the thread that i did on society).

I'm actually fascinated by the US. On a society level you really are quite alien, which peaks my curiosity, I plan (i actually have some rough notes and ideas) to write something on the differences. You also give good insights as to what we were like in old imperial times, when the US has to step down as a superpower (All empires fall away) it would be interesting to see what happens to your society, and how it deals with it. Will it go down clawing and hanging on to its power? Or just sort of give up? or perhaps something else?

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#43 technophobeus

technophobeus

STA3 Coder

• Modding Personality
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:46 PM

You.......what in the blue Mary hell are you talking about. Huge number of assertions (incorrect ones in many cases, I might add) based on your own opinion. NOT on fact. 

Perhaps your bad experiences with Americans are uniform and consistent for a reason? Perhaps the reason is you? Is it indeed possible that you spend an inordinate amount of time talking through your backside? I suspect that this could be a cause for your bad experiences. Cretin.  

• m468, Aunt Gruntie, Lavo and 1 other like this

Don't talk to me while I'm shagging sheep!!!!

#44 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:19 PM

We have more freedom case closed. Damn redcoats need to get outta my internet.

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear - Marcus Aurelius

Spoiler

Spoiler

#45 Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Necromancer Supreme, agig did 9/11 2015

• Authorized Playtester
  • 1,723 posts
  • Steam:Fleet Admiral agigabyte
  • LocationUNSC Skrubtester

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:32 PM

Damn it, guys... Is this argument happening? Really?
WE WILL RIP THEIR SKULLS FROM THEIR SPINES, AND TOSS THEM AWAY, LAUGHIN'!

Oh, I know what the ladies like... -Sarge Johnson

God have mercy on whatever alien race discovers this forum long after the human race destroys itself -Crisiss

Quotes from anywhere
Spoiler
[/quote]

#46 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:35 PM

tired to delete my response but couldn't find the delete button.

which one you want gone??

"Japan received freedom so hard it was atomizing." -VDNKh
Spoiler

#47 Eliteempire

Eliteempire

The Mouth Breather

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:03 PM

which one you want gone??

The one I edited and changed too " tired to delete my response"  Danke.

Sins of the Prophet's Let's Player - UNSC play through

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=z31qnK9A6Ns Part 1

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=36Fxu7LQ-gE Part 2

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=GvGB87lwebg Part 3

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=QWpYkrVkiuI Part 4

Sins of the Prophet's Let's Player - Covenant play through coming soon

#48 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:13 AM

You.......what in the blue Mary hell are you talking about. Huge number of assertions (incorrect ones in many cases, I might add) based on your own opinion. NOT on fact. 

Perhaps your bad experiences with Americans are uniform and consistent for a reason? Perhaps the reason is you? Is it indeed possible that you spend an inordinate amount of time talking through your backside? I suspect that this could be a cause for your bad experiences. Cretin.

It is not something I would expect other people to understand. Before said incident I neither thought good not bad of the USA, after incident I really do not have an opinion of the people, but I hate the governmental system and government of the US.
Do not assume to understand.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#49 Zero

Zero

HHF Lead Dev

• Contributor
  • 1,808 posts
  • LocationKent, Washington, USA

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:22 AM

Why would you hate a government when you don't even have to follow it? That makes no sense, you have no idea what goes on over here you just read plot summaries and assume the worst. Furthermore, America stepping down as a super power? Just because the UK isn't a super power anymore doesn't mean we have to step down, too.

qqpudUa.gif

Spoiler

Spoiler

#50 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:36 AM

Because it dominates the majority of the world through it influence. It talks about dishing out democracy when it really hasn't sorted its own out. The founding fathers would probably turn in their graves at what it has become.
I'm not saying it will be any time soon. But it is inevitable. China, India and Brazil are going up in the world.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#51 Aunt Gruntie

Aunt Gruntie

Sterilized Food Nipples!

• Contributor
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:56 AM

India's culture is quite depressing. The mere fact that they deem certain people through their cast system "undesirables" or "untouchables" is somewhat disturbing.

• Stephan-338 likes this

Help me Sergeant I'm lost in Kurfluffle land!

#52 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 01:00 AM

That is up near the Nepalese border only. Nepal has a rugged caste system.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#53 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 04:06 AM

Because it dominates the majority of the world through it influence. It talks about dishing out democracy when it really hasn't sorted its own out. The founding fathers would probably turn in their graves at what it has become.
I'm not saying it will be any time soon. But it is inevitable. China, India and Brazil are going up in the world.

Empires are always brought down because turmoil within prevents them from dealing with outside threats. While we do have turmoil within our governmental system every election cycle it is designed to be that way. There has been turmoil within our Government every time we have had to face a serious challenge. Furthermore we are not an Empire. 

"Empire: a group of nations or peoples ruled over by an emperor, empress, or other powerful sovereign or government: usually a territory of greater extent than a kingdom, as the former British Empire, French Empire, Russian Empire, Byzantine Empire, or Roman Empire." 

As one can see we do not fit the contemporary definition of an empire. We are a Super Power. What defines a Super Power is distinctly different from what defines an Empire. To be a Super Power a nation must be able to do several things. 1) Project its military power unilaterally throughout the world in a short amount of time. 2) Project economic power throughout the world. 3) Be able to influence international politics to fit its own national interests.

While China, Brazil and India are moving up in the world, their move up has been chiefly economical and political. Yes the have expanded their military however those nations still do not posses the capacity to deploy large numbers of troops anywhere in the world without the help of another nation. And India and China have shown no real interest in expanding their capacity to conduct large scale deployments far from home. 

Spoiler

#54 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 04:26 AM

Empires are always brought down because turmoil within prevents them from dealing with outside threats. While we do have turmoil within our governmental system every election cycle it is designed to be that way. There has been turmoil within our Government every time we have had to face a serious challenge. Furthermore we are not an Empire. 

"Empire: a group of nations or peoples ruled over by an emperor, empress, or other powerful sovereign or government: usually a territory of greater extent than a kingdom, as the former British Empire, French Empire, Russian Empire, Byzantine Empire, or Roman Empire." 

As one can see we do not fit the contemporary definition of an empire. We are a Super Power. What defines a Super Power is distinctly different from what defines an Empire. To be a Super Power a nation must be able to do several things. 1) Project its military power unilaterally throughout the world in a short amount of time. 2) Project economic power throughout the world. 3) Be able to influence international politics to fit its own national interests.

While China, Brazil and India are moving up in the world, their move up has been chiefly economical and political. Yes the have expanded their military however those nations still do not posses the capacity to deploy large numbers of troops anywhere in the world without the help of another nation. And India and China have shown no real interest in expanding their capacity to conduct large scale deployments far from home. 

Well, by empire i meant anything above great power. I was using it as an anagram.

China and India sticks its cards close to its chest.

Also i heard that the USA will be having budget cuts as 4.4% of GDP is unsustainable. As of 2015 they plan on reducing the army to a pre WW2 size, relying more on the navy and marines. Which if you ask me will be much better. This will free up more budgeting for a better training program and an armoury overhaul, both of which are desperately required.

But i totally disagree with the DoDs with benefit cuts. Some families of soldiers live entirely off benefits provided by the DoD.

The USAF stated it doesn't plan of procuring any more aircraft, and plans on reducing its size.

The USN has also stated That they are reducing the ship replenishment and replacement rate. And is conducting research to see if it viable to cut the current fleet of carriers by 4 leaving just 12 in service.

Whereas China is quadrupling its carrier force, and India has just doubled its. 

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#55 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 04:52 AM

Well, by empire i meant anything above great power. I was using it as an anagram.

Also i heard that the USA will be having budget cuts as 4.4% of GDP is unsustainable. As of 2015 they plan on reducing the army to a pre WW2 size, relying more on the navy and marines. Which if you ask me will be much better. This will free up more budgeting for a better training program and an armoury overhaul, both of which are desperately required.

But i totally disagree with the DoDs with benefit cuts. Some families of soldiers live entirely off benefits provided by the DoD.

The USAF stated it doesn't plan of procuring any more aircraft, and plans on reducing its size.

The USN has also stated That they are reducing the ship replenishment and replacement rate. And is conducting research to see if it viable to cut the current fleet of carriers by 4 leaving just 12 in service.

I will get back to this when I have time...

Spoiler

#56 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 05:32 AM

I will get back to this when I have time...

Cool, i will make a separate topic for this. Don't think we can derail this thread even more.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#57 Eliteempire

Eliteempire

The Mouth Breather

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 03:46 PM

Which in my opinion is totally bullshit. How can we spread and keep control if we don't have a proper fucking military force? Also who the FUCK in there right minds cuts military benefits and shit like that? Its bullshit. To defend peace, One must be ready for a war.

Sins of the Prophet's Let's Player - UNSC play through

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=z31qnK9A6Ns Part 1

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=36Fxu7LQ-gE Part 2

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=GvGB87lwebg Part 3

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=QWpYkrVkiuI Part 4

Sins of the Prophet's Let's Player - Covenant play through coming soon

#58 ElOscar24

ElOscar24

Crewman

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 02:22 AM

Well, this thread became something else entirely. Wasn't it about the book?

#59 Stephan-338

Stephan-338

Former Lead Playtester

• Inactive Staff
  • 739 posts
  • Steam:Stephan-338
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 15 March 2014 - 02:31 AM

Well, this thread became something else entirely. Wasn't it about the book?

It used to be..

• SPECTRE likes this
Posted Image

#60 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:49 AM

Let's get it back on track
Spoiler