52 replies to this topic

#21 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

Banned user who criticised terrorists

• Members
  • 3,455 posts
  • LocationANGLIA BRUV, HOME TO THE PRODIGY, NON CRIMINAL GANGSTAS AND FARMERS

Posted 11 February 2014 - 12:15 PM

Wait so whats this mean, they Encrypt all signals inbound and outbound from earth to prevent cov SIGINT detecting it?

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#22 D4RKST0RM99

D4RKST0RM99

There's a DarkStorm coming Mr. Canadaman...

• Authorized Playtester
  • 961 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 11 February 2014 - 12:24 PM

Wait so whats this mean, they Encrypt all signals inbound and outbound from earth to prevent cov SIGINT detecting it?

3. ONI Section II to begin slipstream space attenuation broadcast of pre-recorded human carrier signals from antiquity to prevent triangulation of Earth.

^This prettymuch explains it^

So the further into UNSC space they travel the more it would seem the Earth carrier signal would be coming from all around them.

Think of it like if you were in a nightclub, on the dancefloor crowded with other dancers and the music was only coming from one speaker somewhere nearby, you just follow the sound and it should get louder until you finally find the scource, with this analogy what the UNSC did was to place hundreds of additional speakers all around the room so you could never find the first one, also I suppose the slipspace element to this solution might be to have some ships broadcast the earth signal while in transit between worlds so if they could ever follow one of the signals it would not nesseccarily lead to an inhabited planet. that would be like having the other dancers play the same song on their phones to confuse the original signal further.

• Lord Stark likes this

#23 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 12:30 PM

Thats still techno-babble to me. :/

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#24 D4RKST0RM99

D4RKST0RM99

• Authorized Playtester
  • 961 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 11 February 2014 - 12:31 PM

Thats still techno-babble to me. :/

^I updated^

#25 MrChipps

MrChipps

Having a beer with Colonel Jack O'Neill

• Contributor
  • 789 posts
  • LocationThe Commonwealth wasteland

Posted 11 February 2014 - 12:58 PM

Considering how slow radio signals  travel in space the covvies could just go looking for the oldest signal that has traveled the furthest into deep space. Considering the covvies (at the time) superior slipspace capability they should have been able to find that signal long before the UNSC could catch up and scramble it. Lets say the covenant found a old broadcast from WWII far beyon the borders of the UNSC. The covies could just back track that signal to Earth and it would not matter how many fake earth signals had been deployed inside UNSC territory since all teh covies would have to do is to stick to that original signal trace.

Sweden can into gender!

#26 Stephan-338

Stephan-338

Former Lead Playtester

• Inactive Staff
  • 739 posts
  • Steam:Stephan-338
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 11 February 2014 - 01:01 PM

Considering how slow radio signals  travel in space the covvies could just go looking for the oldest signal that has traveled the furthest into deep space. Considering the covvies (at the time) superior slipspace capability they should have been able to find that signal long before the UNSC could catch up and scramble it. Lets say the covenant found a old broadcast from WWII far beyon the borders of the UNSC. The covies could just back track that signal to Earth and it would not matter how many fake earth signals had been deployed inside UNSC territory since all teh covies would have to do is to stick to that original signal trace.

But the Earth isn't at the same location as it was in 1945...

Posted Image

#27 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 01:10 PM

I liked that analogy. So basically ONI Sent out squelch so that the covenant can't triangulate earth.

Gotcha.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#28 D4RKST0RM99

D4RKST0RM99

• Authorized Playtester
  • 961 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 11 February 2014 - 01:19 PM

But the Earth isn't at the same location as it was in 1945...

Also our sun takes 200,000,000 years to travel around the galaxy and it dosent travel in a straight line, it bobbs up and down in its circular orbit being perturbed by the gravity wells of other nearby stars(this is also a danger as the oort cloud rest on the outer edge of the gravity well and is disturbed when another stars gravity well travels close enough), supposedly we are entering an area of our galaxy we havent been in since the time the Dinosaurs ruled the Earth, so with a period of over 500 years of broadcasting junk through space it still may be hard to find any inhabited world also with the use of Subspace communications they would be able to transmit further than any of the old Earth anologue signals could ever reach and even then how could you tell the signal was older, would it be covered in dust and cobbwebs?

#29 MrChipps

MrChipps

• Contributor
  • 789 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:16 PM

DAMMIT! I'M A POLITICAL SCIENCES SENIOR NOT A SCIENTIST MAN!

• SPECTRE likes this
Sweden can into gender!

#30 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:25 PM

DAMMIT! I'M A POLITICAL SCIENCES SENIOR NOT A SCIENTIST MAN!

Political sciences?

As in

Morality of science?

Science of politics?

Politics of science?

Political science?

Science politics?

IT NO MAKE SENSE!

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#31 MrChipps

MrChipps

• Contributor
  • 789 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:08 PM

It makes perfect sense, I study all matters relating to understandig and practicing how a state functions. I know what it takes to push a reform through parliament, I know the dirty little tricks and what rhetoric to use. I also know the more dull everyday things like how to manage your case the next time you apply to have your drivers licence renewed. That is why I one day wish to work within the EU machinery. I am a bureaucrat and proud of it!

That clear things up? 

Sweden can into gender!

#32 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:17 PM

Thats cool, Can't afford to go university in the UK, Even with an armed forces discount.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#33 Stephan-338

Stephan-338

Former Lead Playtester

• Inactive Staff
  • 739 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:21 PM

Thats cool, Can't afford to go university in the UK, Even with an armed forces discount.

COme to Belgium to study, €600 if you have money, €100 if you don't have much money

Posted Image

#34 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:30 PM

COme to Belgium to study, €600 if you have money, €100 if you don't have much money

600 for the whole course? or per term, or per year?

In Uk its £9000 a year, then thats what you just pay to the government. Law and Medical degrees can stretch out into hundreds of thousands of pounds.

The particular coarse i wanted to do would have cost me about £72,000 at leeds. (thats the car about 3 times over)

The worst of it is the majority of the universities in the UK are towns and cities where there are very few undergraduate jobs besides bar tending.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#35 Moustachio86

Moustachio86

UniMinion

• Contributor
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:47 PM

My course is going to be a good £75,000 for the four years. Student loan is a fairly nice way of paying some of it off, and you can get grants and sponsorships if you're lucky but it's still a metric fuckton (to quote Metanator) to deal with. We really got a shitty deal in England, even if the economics behind it does add up from the Government's point of view.

#36 Stephan-338

Stephan-338

Former Lead Playtester

• Inactive Staff
  • 739 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:48 PM

600 for the whole course? or per term, or per year?

In Uk its £9000 a year, then thats what you just pay to the government. Law and Medical degrees can stretch out into hundreds of thousands of pounds.

The particular coarse i wanted to do would have cost me about £72,000 at leeds. (thats the car about 3 times over)

The worst of it is the majority of the universities in the UK are towns and cities where there are very few undergraduate jobs besides bar tending.

For the whole year, plus books

Posted Image

#37 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:59 PM

OK i'm looking into this.

But i can't find a reason that the price is so low.

Some people may actually want to watch the world learn.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#38 MrChipps

MrChipps

• Contributor
  • 789 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 04:04 PM

heh, higher education is free in Sweden, used to be free for foreigners up until a few years ago but that privilege was abused by people who treated it as a free tourist visa

Sweden can into gender!

#39 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 04:14 PM

Sweden seems fairly nice (bar the extreme weather and the high suicide rate), it has one of the best education systems in the world, and a lot of people in Sweden speak English But i feel that when I'm a guest in a country, i should speak the language. Swedish seems complex, (English is one of the hardest languages to learn anyway) I speak about 5 iterations of British English.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#40 Stephan-338

Stephan-338

Former Lead Playtester

• Inactive Staff
  • 739 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 11 February 2014 - 04:25 PM

Sweden seems fairly nice (bar the extreme weather and the high suicide rate), it has one of the best education systems in the world, and a lot of people in Sweden speak English But i feel that when I'm a guest in a country, i should speak the language. Swedish seems complex, (English is one of the hardest languages to learn anyway) I speak about 5 iterations of British English.

In Belgium you can speak Dutch, French and German, although almost everybody speaks English

http://diplomatie.be...eren_In_Belgie/ a link if you are interested

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users