38 replies to this topic

#21 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

Banned user who criticised terrorists

• Members
  • 3,455 posts
  • LocationANGLIA BRUV, HOME TO THE PRODIGY, NON CRIMINAL GANGSTAS AND FARMERS

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:42 AM

Covenant Remnant ships have no shields as seen in Halo 4. Infinity should have gone beast mode like Marshawn Lynch and steam rolled the fleet.

They may have broken down after this battle.

For all we know covenant ship  shields might not even have the ability to regenerate. So after multiple battles they would have to be Recharged at some sort of charging station.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#22 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • Steam:KhevaKins
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:50 AM

They may have broken down after this battle.
For all we know covenant ship  shields might not even have the ability to regenerate.

What do you mean? As in once they go down they don't turn on again? Because they definitely do turn back on/recharge.
Spoiler

led203_crashed_0.pngled203.jpg

#23 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:54 AM

What do you mean? As in once they go down they don't turn on again? Because they definitely do turn back on/recharge.

Personal shields do, but they have less area to cover. Think kinda like ancillary, ablative or ERA Armour, once its wrecked you need to put on a whole new layer.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#24 D4RKST0RM99

D4RKST0RM99

There's a DarkStorm coming Mr. Canadaman...

• Authorized Playtester
  • 961 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:08 AM

Would be hard to believe Jul Mdama's Assault Carrier did not have shields considering his soldiers do, remember the ships in his fleet were newly built from a remote area of covenant space that were unaware the war was over.

#25 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:42 AM

Personal shields do, but they have less area to cover. Think kinda like ancillary, ablative or ERA Armour, once its wrecked you need to put on a whole new layer.

In Fall of Reach Keyes lowers the shields on the covvie Supercruiser multiple times and it turns back on each time.

The first round struck the Covenant ship; its shields rippled. The second and third rounds struck, and
more than five hundred missiles detonated along her length. Flame dotted the massive vessel, and her
shields blazed solid silver. They faded and popped. A dozen missiles impacted her hull and exploded,
scarring the bluish armor.
“Minimal damage to the target, sir,” Lieutenant Hall reported.
“But we downed their shields,” Captain Keyes said.

So the shields are down at this point.

{some lines later}

“Fire when ready, Lieutenant Hikowa,” Captain Keyes ordered.
“Firing!” Thunder rumbled belowdecks. “MAC rounds away.”
The shells struck the Covenant vessel; Archer missiles impacted . . . only a handful got though her
downed shields.
“Cortana, crash-land our Longsword on that bastard. Set timer delay on the nuke for fifteen seconds.”
“Afterburners on,” Cortana replied. “Impact in three . . . two . . . one. She’s down, sir.”
ThePillar of Autumn sped past the Covenant ship.
{skip some lines}
The Covenant ship slowly turned toward thePillar of Autumn and its turret tracked their position. For the
first time in his life, Keyes prayed that a Covenant ship’s shields would hold.
The alien ship became a flash of white light; its outline blurred. Their shields held for a split second as
the Shiva warhead detonatedinside its protective aura. The shockwave rebounded off the asymmetrical
shape of the shields just before their collapse. Jets of energy exploded outward at three different angles.
Thunder and plasma roiled into space . . . cleanly missing thePillar of Autumn .

The shields go down a second time, indicating that they had recharged.

They then begin recharging a third time with the crashed Longswords on the hull.
Spoiler

#26 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:51 AM

Ah i'm wrong then, but considering its a supercruiser, i wouldn't be surprised if it could turn water into wine.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#27 Moustachio86

Moustachio86

UniMinion

• Contributor
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:57 AM

Ah i'm wrong then.

Hey guys; hell just froze over!
  • MrChipps and D4RKST0RM99 like this

#28 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:06 PM

Hey guys; hell just froze over!

<shakes fist at phone> Gertcha! 

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#29 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:17 PM

Covenant Remnant ships have no shields as seen in Halo 4. Infinity should have gone beast mode like Marshawn Lynch and steam rolled the fleet.

HAHAHA are you fucking kidding me? Infinity's armament can't even take down a fucking phantom a la Spartan Ops.

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear - Marcus Aurelius

Spoiler

Spoiler

#30 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:32 PM

HAHAHA are you fucking kidding me? Infinity's armament can't even take down a fucking phantom a la Spartan Ops.

Infinity shoots down multiple covvie ships through out the campaign, when it is crashed. It can't shoot the Phantoms on Requiem during Spartan Ops because it would have to shoot through the portal/entrance area.
Spoiler

#31 Zero

Zero

HHF Lead Dev

• Contributor
  • 1,808 posts
  • LocationKent, Washington, USA

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:05 PM

In the novels Infinity apparently turned multiple frigates into swiss cheese.

Aside from that, Covenant ships have to constantly raise and lower their shields in order to fire their weapons, as well as letting drop ships and fighters deploy and land. That's why the CPV doesn't have shields, its constantly deploying forces.

qqpudUa.gif

Spoiler

Spoiler

#32 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:08 PM

Aside from that, Covenant ships have to constantly raise and lower their shields in order to fire their weapons, as well as letting drop ships and fighters deploy and land. That's why the CPV doesn't have shields, its constantly deploying forces.

With just its missiles.

I swear the CPV has shields in game and mod.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#33 Aunt Gruntie

Aunt Gruntie

Sterilized Food Nipples!

• Contributor
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:11 PM

With just its missiles.

First I've heard of this. Any proof of this or just speculation on your part?

Help me Sergeant I'm lost in Kurfluffle land!

#34 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:34 PM

First I've heard of this. Any proof of this or just speculation on your part?

Which part?

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#35 Aunt Gruntie

Aunt Gruntie

Sterilized Food Nipples!

• Contributor
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:11 PM

That part sorry

Help me Sergeant I'm lost in Kurfluffle land!

#36 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:16 PM

That part sorry

I just kinda assumed it.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#37 Zero

Zero

HHF Lead Dev

• Contributor
  • 1,808 posts
  • LocationKent, Washington, USA

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:28 PM

Oh sorry not CPV, but the SDV Corvette. Been a lot of talk about the CPV recently.

qqpudUa.gif

Spoiler

Spoiler

#38 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:36 PM

Infinity shoots down multiple covvie ships through out the campaign, when it is crashed. It can't shoot the Phantoms on Requiem during Spartan Ops because it would have to shoot through the portal/entrance area.

Actually, it doesn't seem to have much issue with even that. Maybe it's point defense is just shit, but it couldn't even blow up the phantom Crimson is riding in. "Defenses can't pick you out of the crowd." Just fuck up it's flight systems. Or the subsequent ones that land troops in the hangars. So it's definitely not a cross fire issue.

I thought that Covie ships could warp their shields around the main battery so they could fire without compromising the entire ship? Anyways, the total overall downtime of the shields is probably less than a second seeing as they fire in salvos, which allows them to get more up time out of them. And I know you meant SDV, which is entirely correct (in canon it does not have shields) but the CPV that shows up in the "Freefall" cutscene from Halo Wars doesn't seem to have it's shields up either? The games, novels, comics, and animated variants of the series are so inconsistent it's hard to follow.

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear - Marcus Aurelius

Spoiler

Spoiler

#39 D4RKST0RM99

D4RKST0RM99

There's a DarkStorm coming Mr. Canadaman...

• Authorized Playtester
  • 961 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:46 PM

Actually, it doesn't seem to have much issue with even that. Maybe it's point defense is just shit, but it couldn't even blow up the phantom Crimson is riding in. "Defenses can't pick you out of the crowd." Just fuck up it's flight systems. Or the subsequent ones that land troops in the hangars. So it's definitely not a cross fire issue.

I thought that Covie ships could warp their shields around the main battery so they could fire without compromising the entire ship? Anyways, the total overall downtime of the shields is probably less than a second seeing as they fire in salvos, which allows them to get more up time out of them. And I know you meant SDV, which is entirely correct (in canon it does not have shields) but the CPV that shows up in the "Freefall" cutscene from Halo Wars doesn't seem to have it's shields up either? The games, novels, comics, and animated variants of the series are so inconsistent it's hard to follow.

true about the shields, we see the CRS Light Cruiser in Fall of Reach with its shields downed and regenerated multiple times when going up against the Commonwealth, also the method the spartans used to board the covenant cruiser involved bypassing its shields at its plasma turrets, a small pocket of the shield around the turret would drop for several seconds when the weapon fired.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users