46 replies to this topic

#21 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:12 AM

people modding the mod

if you look back in the moddb comments, you will see, at least a few times, staff members saying that they do not support this.

If you want a capital ship spamfest, SOGE is not only good for that, it was BUILT for that. SotP isnt exactly good for armada-sized battles anyway due to how fast paced the battles are.

#22 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

Banned user who criticised terrorists

• Members
  • 3,455 posts
  • LocationANGLIA BRUV, HOME TO THE PRODIGY, NON CRIMINAL GANGSTAS AND FARMERS

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:13 AM

if you look back in the moddb comments, you will see, at least a few times, staff members saying that they do not support this.

If you want a capital ship spamfest, SOGE is not only good for that, it was BUILT for that. SotP isnt exactly good for armada-sized battles anyway due to how fast paced the battles are.

But severe performance issues.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#23 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • Steam:SternuS
  • LocationItaly

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:17 AM

Yes, cool, but...

Every time I used cheats in a game (Age of Empires likely) I always stopped playing it. I mean where's the fun? It might be funny for you to outnumber the enemy via cheats, but in my opinion it is way funnier to outnumber it playing as you're expected to do.

I mean, everyone used the Marco Polo cheat at least once in that game, right? But then you knew the exact position and progress of the AI, eventually becoming boring.

• Defender0 and SPECTRE like this

c048b5cb018d634cb3a0d9bd3617eb50-d547q01

Peter Jackson, 27/07/2013: 1.08 am. A 20 hour day ... 15 years of Tolkien ... 771 days of shooting ...

"We would be fools to pursue the impossible simply because you believe the achievable is flawed" - Ugin

#24 Rovert10

Rovert10

Balance Team

• Mod Staff
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:17 AM

What happens when I want a spamfest in SoTP? Who gives a fuck what the mechanics the mod was for. It just looks cool. But you people apparently have this overtly high standard of some shit. People can't spam shit because it looks cool?

Frankly I disregard the staff not condoning modding the mod. If people want to fight me over it, they can go ahead. I will just slap them in the face over it.

• Redleader102, spartan-G257, Bornstellaris and 2 others like this

#25 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:26 AM

Yes, cool, but...

Every time I used cheats in a game (Age of Empires likely) I always stopped playing it. I mean where's the fun? It might be funny for you to outnumber the enemy via cheats, but in my opinion it is way funnier to outnumber it playing as you're expected to do.

I mean, everyone used the Marco Polo cheat at least once in that game, right? But then you knew the exact position and progress of the AI, eventually becoming boring.

Ive only used cheats often in one game, star wars: battlefront 2, and thats after i completely beat the game and did everything i could in it 

What happens when I want a spamfest in SoTP? Who gives a fuck what the mechanics the mod was for. It just looks cool. But you people apparently have this overtly high standard of some shit. People can't spam shit because it looks cool?

Frankly I disregard the staff not condoning modding the mod. If people want to fight me over it, they can go ahead. I will just slap them in the face over it.

you mean, besides the people who created the mod and actually care what people do with it? Theres a point where you need to actually be reasonable and respectful to people, even on the internet.

#26 Rovert10

Rovert10

Balance Team

• Mod Staff
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:35 AM

you mean, besides the people who created the mod and actually care what people do with it? Theres a point where you need to actually be reasonable and respectful to people, even on the internet.

By that logic I shouldn't mod SoaSE for my respect of the developers because of the work they put into it. The fact that people take the time to actually look at a game/mod to actually mod it again for their own wants should be a form of respect.

• spartan-G257 and Bornstellaris like this

#27 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:37 AM

By that logic I shouldn't mod SoaSE for my respect of the developers because of the work they put into it. The fact that people take the time to actually look at a game/mod to actually mod it again for their own wants should be a form of respect.

to a certain extent yes. That being said, the developers made mod tools, so they clearly have no problem with people modding the game and have also made no statements saying they do not want people modding sins. meanwhile, in this thread, staff members have made it clear that they do not recommend moding SotP.

#28 Rovert10

Rovert10

Balance Team

• Mod Staff
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:42 AM

to a certain extent yes. That being said, the developers made mod tools, so they clearly have no problem with people modding the game and have also made no statements saying they do not want people modding sins. meanwhile, in this thread, staff members have made it clear that they do not recommend moding SotP.

Well it isn't unanimous, I am obviously staff and I've made it clear that I have no issues with people modding SoTP and will gladly help them should they have any questions regarding it. And I will continue to do so regardless of the staff's opinion.

• spartan-G257 and Bornstellaris like this

#29 The Flood

The Flood

I've had a lot of names.......

• Members
  • 211 posts
  • Steam:The Flood
  • LocationA place you can't get to

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:43 AM

You have been warned...

some people call me The Flood.......others call me Didact........

Most Call me Night Of Eternal Darkness.....You will never know which one.....

#30 insaene

insaene

Master of the Insane(You! Yeah YOU!!)

• Contributor
  • 645 posts
  • LocationIn your mind, eating your sanity

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:45 AM

What's the problem with modding the mod? It's not like she/he started a new mod page or selled it or something. It's for his personal use. 

So just let her/him do that.

Edit: Also when she/he mods the mod u can't help him with an error but that's her/his problem then

• SPECTRE likes this

Dwarf.png

It takes a dwarf to use magma for snow shoveling

Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones

#31 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:48 AM

Calm down lads, thats enough.

Both sides have valid points, you should generally give vanilla a playthrough as a courtesy, and yet mods are good, they can be a major selling point for a game.

<coughs> I Bought Trinity for SotP <coughs>

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#32 The Flood

The Flood

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:48 AM

Oh I know you can do whatever you want I just don't like to do it.

#33 Lavo

Lavo

Grand Master Modder/Design Lead

• Mod Staff
  • 713 posts
  • LocationNot Uni's Basement

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:53 AM

Well it isn't unanimous, I am obviously staff and I've made it clear that I have no issues with people modding SoTP and will gladly help them should they have any questions regarding it. And I will continue to do so regardless of the staff's opinion.

You aren't the only one; I am of the same opinion. Further, I've even encouraged people to do so if they wish by leaving SoGE's entities in text format to allow for ease of editing. Really Defender, get off of your high horse, you're causing much adieu over nothing.

• spartan-G257, Bornstellaris and Rovert10 like this

#34 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:58 AM

I'm out of popcorn, damn

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear - Marcus Aurelius

Spoiler

Spoiler

#35 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Defender, get off of your high horse

This isnt a high horse, i simply respect Uni enough to support him

#36 insaene

insaene

Master of the Insane(You! Yeah YOU!!)

• Contributor
  • 645 posts
  • LocationIn your mind, eating your sanity

Also I'd see it as a honor if someone mods my code to statisfy her/his requirements. You never now what will become of them.. maybe the next mod staff?

Dwarf.png

It takes a dwarf to use magma for snow shoveling

Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones

#37 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:00 AM

I'm out of popcorn, damn

Popcorn-02-Stephen-Colbert.gif

I can spare some:

vzChANd.gif

• SternuS likes this

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#38 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • Steam:Unikraken
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:57 AM

You aren't the only one; I am of the same opinion. Further, I've even encouraged people to do so if they wish by leaving SoGE's entities in text format to allow for ease of editing. Really Defender, get off of your high horse, you're causing much adieu over nothing.

I want to note here that I haven't deleted the thread. I'm obviously allowing the modding of the mod. My personal opinion is that people should try to respect what we've done here and understand why the mod isn't a capital spamfest, however I separate that from my role as 1/2 of the mod leadership. While I won't tolerate the sharing of edited files here*, I'm perfectly fine with people taking the effort to convert the files back to readable text and toying with it. People like OP may eventually learn enough to become part of the team for all I know. I really don't want people fighting with OP over this, feel free to continue the discussion. I suppose maybe I should be careful about sharing my opinions because of my status within the mod? Is it taken too seriously because of that? Either way, I'm sorry for causing this mess and I hope OP sticks around. I'm very happy you like the mod, as we've poured a lot of ourselves into it. So, let's let this thread get back to the topic at hand.

*My major concern about this is maintaining one line of integrity regarding the mod's balance. Having someone essentially creating a competing mod using our assets would certainly be troubling and I would do everything in my power to stop it, but what OP is doing is fine.

• Defender0, SternuS and Stephan-338 like this

[10:46:02 PM] VDNKh: Piercing Lance
[10:46:11 PM] VDNKh: fitting name for the ship that just fucked me

"Unikraken can soothe any nasties."

#39 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • Steam:SternuS
  • LocationItaly

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:10 AM

I suppose maybe I should be careful about sharing my opinions because of my status within the mod? Is it taken too seriously because of that? Either way, I'm sorry for causing this mess and I hope OP sticks around.

The only real problem is that people misunderstood what you meant.

We're just stating opinions here, nothing is law. My advice would be not to cheat, but that's just how I like to play a game.

This entire debate is futile.

• Moustachio86 likes this

c048b5cb018d634cb3a0d9bd3617eb50-d547q01

Peter Jackson, 27/07/2013: 1.08 am. A 20 hour day ... 15 years of Tolkien ... 771 days of shooting ...

"We would be fools to pursue the impossible simply because you believe the achievable is flawed" - Ugin

#40 The Flood

The Flood

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:15 AM

I Agree

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users