39 replies to this topic

#1 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 25 May 2014 - 01:05 PM

Could we give the UNSC a self destruct ability? I know we have scuttle but that doesn't really take place fast enough. I know self destruct is used often enough in the Halo Universe (Heart of Midlothian and the one Halo Wars comic for starters) and it would be of tremendous help to the UNSC when facing the flood and even the Covenant. I like the idea of a scorched earth policy and I think it would be useful in many ways. Thoughts?

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear - Marcus Aurelius

Spoiler

Spoiler

#2 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 01:06 PM

Technically, this is entirely possible, but i see the AI going berserk with this. Either it would have to be an ability that is not on autocast by default (AI would not be able to use it in this case) OR the AI would make entire fleets of suicide bomber ships.

#3 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 25 May 2014 - 01:22 PM

Technically, this is entirely possible, but i see the AI going berserk with this. Either it would have to be an ability that is not on autocast by default (AI would not be able to use it in this case) OR the AI would make entire fleets of suicide bomber ships.

Well obviously not on autocast or it would probably be dead as soon as you built it... Player controlled.

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear - Marcus Aurelius

Spoiler

Spoiler

#4 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 01:55 PM

Well obviously not on autocast or it would probably be dead as soon as you built it... Player controlled.

in that case...It would be very interesting to see what happened with players. I can just imagine a zerg rush of UNSC ships blowing up a covie fleet. but this would be broken as hell also.

One thing to note though, anchor stations DO have a self destruct ability (from vanilla sins) but its very underpowered considering its meant for vanilla sins.

#5 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • Steam:SternuS
  • LocationItaly

Posted 25 May 2014 - 02:16 PM

It'd be cool, but then Frigate spam would be even bigger. Maybe make it cost a little bit...like 1/3 of ship's cost, would discourage the player to use it in mass.

c048b5cb018d634cb3a0d9bd3617eb50-d547q01

Peter Jackson, 27/07/2013: 1.08 am. A 20 hour day ... 15 years of Tolkien ... 771 days of shooting ...

"We would be fools to pursue the impossible simply because you believe the achievable is flawed" - Ugin

#6 con7con

con7con

Authorized Playtester

• Contributor
  • 260 posts
  • Steam:Con7con
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 25 May 2014 - 06:23 PM

Perhaps restrict the ability to capital ships?

Spoiler

#7 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 06:38 PM

Perhaps restrict the ability to capital ships?

but capital ships already have nukes

#8 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • Steam:KhevaKins
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 25 May 2014 - 11:25 PM

It'd be cool, but then Frigate spam would be even bigger. Maybe make it cost a little bit...like 1/3 of ship's cost, would discourage the player to use it in mass.

Why would it cost money, though?
Spoiler

led203_crashed_0.pngled203.jpg

#9 Aunt Gruntie

Aunt Gruntie

Sterilized Food Nipples!

• Contributor
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 11:45 PM

Balance/prevent over abuse. Though I can't see how much of a barrier, especially seeing as how the UNSC are built around stupidly high econ.

• SternuS likes this

Help me Sergeant I'm lost in Kurfluffle land!

#10 D4RKST0RM99

D4RKST0RM99

There's a DarkStorm coming Mr. Canadaman...

• Authorized Playtester
  • 961 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:13 AM

An interesting anti-flood strategy, your fleet is cut off from backup or there is a flood attack headed for your planet but you dont have the firepower to deal with it, also it isnt just the books and comica you see the self destruct used, both the Pillar of Autumn and In Amber Clad self destructs were used with the intention of destroying a Halo ring, but surprisingly the main users of this strategy within the lore is the Covenant as they self destruct their crippled ships in battle to avoid their capture.

I think I might be on the fence with this idea, has both good and bad points, this would be like the issue in the original Startrek Armada game that has a klingon vessel thats sole purpose was to detonate on command a massive shockwave within an enemy base regardless of the defending ships and defenses and destroy EVERYTHING. So normaly to take over an enemy planet you need X amount of ships that gives you X amount of fire power- with this new feature careful planing and fleet diversity would mean little, just send in 20ish random ships and hit the big red button. I could see this working in the case of the Covies though in that the self destruct would happen automatically if their ship HP drops below a certain value (this may be allergic to hard coding) and remains their for say 5 seconds- a seemingly lore friendly option.

• SPECTRE likes this

#11 con7con

con7con

Authorized Playtester

• Contributor
  • 260 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 26 May 2014 - 03:22 AM

but capital ships already have nukes

True, but as a last stand sort of thing where they are going to die anyway you might as well try and get some extra damage in.

Spoiler

#12 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 26 May 2014 - 06:47 AM

Balance/prevent over abuse. Though I can't see how much of a barrier, especially seeing as how the UNSC are built around stupidly high econ.

I meant a canon reason. Although I suppose it could be the cost to pick up escape pods ( assuming there are any) but that wouldn't be anywhere near the cost of 1/3 of the ship. Plus if it self destructs because of Flood there probably wouldn't be any survivors.
Spoiler

#13 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

Banned user who criticised terrorists

• Members
  • 3,455 posts
  • LocationANGLIA BRUV, HOME TO THE PRODIGY, NON CRIMINAL GANGSTAS AND FARMERS

Posted 26 May 2014 - 06:57 AM

Because compensation to families of the crew.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#14 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 26 May 2014 - 07:11 AM

Because compensation to families of the crew.

But it doesn't cost any money normally when a ship dies.

Plus wouldn't burial costs be included in the building/recruitment cost of the ship/personnel.
Spoiler

#15 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • Steam:SternuS
  • LocationItaly

Posted 26 May 2014 - 07:36 AM

I meant a canon reason. Although I suppose it could be the cost to pick up escape pods ( assuming there are any) but that wouldn't be anywhere near the cost of 1/3 of the ship. Plus if it self destructs because of Flood there probably wouldn't be any survivors.

As Grunt said, it would be for balance. No canon intended here.

c048b5cb018d634cb3a0d9bd3617eb50-d547q01

Peter Jackson, 27/07/2013: 1.08 am. A 20 hour day ... 15 years of Tolkien ... 771 days of shooting ...

"We would be fools to pursue the impossible simply because you believe the achievable is flawed" - Ugin

#16 con7con

con7con

Authorized Playtester

• Contributor
  • 260 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 26 May 2014 - 07:58 AM

Perhaps have mid tier research for this ability? That could be used to balance it as if the UNSC is getting more desperate as time goes on.

Spoiler

#17 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 10:05 AM

I really don't see much of a use for it. I mean UNSC ships typically die to fast for you to activate it and I don't feel like it would be a good idea to put it on auto cast.
  • Defender0, Aunt Gruntie, D4RKST0RM99 and 1 other like this
"Japan received freedom so hard it was atomizing." -VDNKh
Spoiler

#18 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 26 May 2014 - 10:35 AM

I really don't see much of a use for it. I mean UNSC ships typically die to fast for you to activate it and I don't feel like it would be a good idea to put it on auto cast.

Have it instantly explode then? And I already said this, no autocast. That would be bad. The use is to cause some last (even minor) damage to the enemy before you go out. Call it Cole Protocol or Last Stand or something like that. I don't know. I feel like this needs to be included somehow, though. It would be neat and lore friendly. I would like it, personally. And since the UNSC is now the only faction without an uninfectable ship, why wouldn't blowing themselves up be the next best policy? I'm a scorched earth kind of guy. Strip to the Core, bitches. Except in this case you kinda just let the core free. And then it explodes.

Spoiler

Spoiler

#19 con7con

con7con

Authorized Playtester

• Contributor
  • 260 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 26 May 2014 - 10:40 AM

Now that I think about it was this idea not suggested before around a year ago and it was stated it would not be happening? Or am I thinking of something else?

• SPECTRE likes this
Spoiler

#20 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 26 May 2014 - 08:59 PM

Could we give the UNSC a self destruct ability? I know we have scuttle but that doesn't really take place fast enough.

Haven't you see any scifi/action shows? It takes at least 5 minutes to activate the self destruct, OBVIOUSLY

In all seriousness, this has been bounced around before, and turned down for a combination of reasons. AI would freak out, pretty difficult to code, and it's really not worth it.
The scuttle button does however, work against the flood - the timer keeps going after you lose control and the AI doesn't know how to handle it.
  • Defender0 and D4RKST0RM99 like this
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users