39 replies to this topic

#21 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 26 May 2014 - 09:13 PM

Haven't you see any scifi/action shows? It takes at least 5 minutes to activate the self destruct, OBVIOUSLY

In all seriousness, this has been bounced around before, and turned down for a combination of reasons. AI would freak out, pretty difficult to code, and it's really not worth it.
The scuttle button does however, work against the flood - the timer keeps going after you lose control and the AI doesn't know how to handle it.

Really? I'll have to test this out. Ready the test subjects!

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear - Marcus Aurelius

Spoiler

Spoiler

#22 Moustachio86

Moustachio86

UniMinion

• Contributor
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:20 AM

The scuttle button does however, work against the flood - the timer keeps going after you lose control and the AI doesn't know how to handle it.

WHAAT? YOU TELL ME THIS NOW.
  • D4RKST0RM99 likes this

#23 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 06:51 AM

Its been said before. Way back in the entrenchment release.
"Japan received freedom so hard it was atomizing." -VDNKh
Spoiler

#24 The Flood

The Flood

I've had a lot of names.......

• Members
  • 211 posts
  • Steam:The Flood
  • LocationA place you can't get to

Posted 27 May 2014 - 07:55 AM

yeah I scuttle my ships sometimes when battling the flood, it works when you do it exactly when the flood takes control of one of you're big ship.

some people call me The Flood.......others call me Didact........

Most Call me Night Of Eternal Darkness.....You will never know which one.....

#25 XtremeRoflcopter

XtremeRoflcopter

Petty Officer Second Class

• Contributor
  • 387 posts
  • LocationWorking the till at the Bank of Rofl handing out loans to all the noobs.

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:08 AM

Perhaps a research could be made that gives a chance of causing units and structures to self destruct in the event of them being taken over. Sorta like a passive ability.

• KhevaKins likes this
It's easier to work on a map if a lot of Rum is involved...

#26 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • Steam:KhevaKins
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:54 AM

Perhaps a research could be made that gives a chance of causing units and structures to self destruct in the event of them being taken over. Sorta like a passive ability.

I've always been in support of something like this.
Spoiler

led203_crashed_0.pngled203.jpg

#27 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 11:05 AM

im willing to bet uni is going to put his hardcoding picture as a response to this...

#28 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:11 PM

im willing to bet uni is going to put his hardcoding picture as a response to this...

Yeah, almost positive this wouldn't work. Unless it required antimatter and you gave the ship antimatter regen when it gets infected. Again, I don't know

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear - Marcus Aurelius

Spoiler

Spoiler

#29 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:16 PM

Yeah, almost positive this wouldn't work. Unless it required antimatter and you gave the ship antimatter regen when it gets infected. Again, I don't know

not even that, the best way to implement any form of this ability is A. hacky as hell, and B. laggy as hell

#30 con7con

con7con

Authorized Playtester

• Contributor
  • 260 posts
  • Steam:Con7con
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:58 PM

Could it not be added as part of the infect ability, making it chance based? Or perhaps a very hacky way of doing it would be giving the infectors an ability to deal allot of damage to a target every so often as well as giving the ship the infected effect, giving the impression of a ship self destructing to prevent infection?

Spoiler

#31 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:02 PM

Could it not be added as part of the infect ability, making it chance based? Or perhaps a very hacky way of doing it would be giving the infectors an ability to deal allot of damage to a target every so often as well as giving the ship the infected effect, giving the impression of a ship self destructing to prevent infection?

This is how it would work, IF it was even implemented: a ship would have a buff that activated every second and checked if its owner was changed (meaning, flood infection), and if it popped a yes, the ship would self destruct. Simple enough, except that it would happen every second, for HUNDREDS of ships, possibly thousands, ALL AT THE SAME TIME. This is something that would crash sins.

#32 con7con

con7con

Authorized Playtester

• Contributor
  • 260 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:51 AM

True, not very efficient and it would not be ideal anyway as you would not want a certain type of ship to always self destruct no matter what. Is it not possible for an ability to also have a chance to deal damage? Say, 5% of the time it deals 5000 damage to a ship which would either flat out kill or cripple that ship.

Spoiler

#33 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:23 AM

True, not very efficient and it would not be ideal anyway as you would not want a certain type of ship to always self destruct no matter what. Is it not possible for an ability to also have a chance to deal damage? Say, 5% of the time it deals 5000 damage to a ship which would either flat out kill or cripple that ship.

someone tried a similar thing last year, it completely broke the balance of the mod

#34 XtremeRoflcopter

XtremeRoflcopter

• Contributor
  • 387 posts
  • LocationWorking the till at the Bank of Rofl handing out loans to all the noobs.

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:16 AM

Lol, I remember that, critical hits would disable the vast majority of their fleets and it was hilarious to watch the fleets just float around.

#35 con7con

con7con

Authorized Playtester

• Contributor
  • 260 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:29 PM

True, but that was with the MAC while this would be say, a 2-5% chance of it occurring whenever a ship is infected.

Spoiler

#36 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

Banned user who criticised terrorists

• Members
  • 3,455 posts
  • LocationANGLIA BRUV, HOME TO THE PRODIGY, NON CRIMINAL GANGSTAS AND FARMERS

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:36 PM

True, but that was with the MAC while this would be say, a 2-5% chance of it occurring whenever a ship is infected.

Remind me what the chances were of encountering MOI?

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#37 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:51 PM

Remind me what the chances were of encountering MOI?

1/1000

#38 XtremeRoflcopter

XtremeRoflcopter

• Contributor
  • 387 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:56 PM

Or.... maybe we should look at this differently... if a ship gets infected it becomes disabled for a short period (say like a minute or two) and no "Spores" are able to spawn for a while the flood wrestle for control of the ships systems. 

• con7con likes this

#39 Moustachio86

Moustachio86

UniMinion

• Contributor
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 01:34 PM

Or.... maybe we should look at this differently... if a ship gets infected it becomes disabled for a short period (say like a minute or two) and no "Spores" are able to spawn for a while the flood wrestle for control of the ships systems. 

Isn't that what we have in the PT version?

#40 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 28 May 2014 - 02:01 PM

I dunno about UNSC ships, but I remember Voro 'Mantakree telling his officers to have the self destruct sequence ready in case of Flood contamination. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users