Aunt Gruntie

Sterilized Food Nipples!

• Contributor
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 12:07 PM

Research Economy.

Spam Athens.

Win game.

I had someone use nothing but a fleet full of athens, it barely scratched my fleet. If you're gonna spam a UNSC ship spam the thanatos.
  • Stephan-338 likes this

Help me Sergeant I'm lost in Kurfluffle land!

#22 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 14 June 2014 - 12:51 PM

I had someone use nothing but a fleet full of athens, it barely scratched my fleet. If you're gonna spam a UNSC ship spam the thanatos.

Thanatos with a couple of cradles, stalwarts, and capital ships for nukes and strike craft are beautiful.

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear - Marcus Aurelius

Spoiler

Spoiler

#23 Andy493

Andy493

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 40 posts
  • Steam:andy_493
  • LocationSewaren NJ

Posted 14 June 2014 - 12:52 PM

The problems with the Athens is they are meant for area defense a whole fleet of Athens wont do much but die and act as meat shields. They can hold their ground but when it comes to attacking they need support from capital ship and destroyers. 

#24 The Flood

The Flood

I've had a lot of names.......

• Members
  • 211 posts
  • Steam:The Flood
  • LocationA place you can't get to

Posted 14 June 2014 - 03:24 PM

I tried a lot of Thanatos once....it was glorious  B)

some people call me The Flood.......others call me Didact........

Most Call me Night Of Eternal Darkness.....You will never know which one.....

#25 Adrien Victus

Adrien Victus

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 52 posts
  • Steam:Adrien Victus
  • LocationN Wales

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:03 PM

The problems with the Athens is they are meant for area defense a whole fleet of Athens wont do much but die and act as meat shields. They can hold their ground but when it comes to attacking they need support from capital ship and destroyers. 

The Athens has decent armour and a fair mac cannon to go along with it, combined with the fighters it can sure as hell hold it's ground.

#26 Aunt Gruntie

Aunt Gruntie

Sterilized Food Nipples!

• Contributor
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:53 PM

The Athens has decent armour and a fair mac cannon to go along with it, combined with the fighters it can sure as hell hold it's ground.

it's also expensive, takes alot of fleet supply, and UNSC strike craft arent that great

#27 Andy493

Andy493

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 40 posts
  • LocationSewaren NJ

Posted 14 June 2014 - 05:21 PM

Really? I was told that the UNSC had the strongest strike craft. look at the sabers for instance I understand there better then broadswords but damn 14 sabers can bring a DDC shields down to 0  in one bomber run. The normal broadsword aren't as capable but they seem to [at least in my own testing/playing] do more damage then the covenant bombers do. 

#28 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 14 June 2014 - 05:24 PM

Really? I was told that the UNSC had the strongest strike craft. look at the sabers for instance I understand there better then broadswords but damn 14 sabers can bring a DDC shields down to 0  in one bomber run. The normal broadsword aren't as capable but they seem to [at least in my own testing/playing] do more damage then the covenant bombers do. 

You could not be more wrong. Seraph spam is horrible. If you have anywhere over 20 you can kill almost anything in one run. The UNSC by far have the weakest. Sabres suck horribly. Honestly, Sabres should be fighter-bombers, not one or the other. The broadsword is even worse. I dunno how it is in the pub build, but the UNSC's strike craft suck. The Athens isn't even worth building if you're trying to win. Thanatos spam wins the game.

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear - Marcus Aurelius

Spoiler

Spoiler

#29 Lavo

Lavo

Grand Master Modder/Design Lead

• Mod Staff
  • 713 posts
  • LocationNot Uni's Basement

Posted 14 June 2014 - 11:01 PM

The public release's strikecraft are entirely different from the beta build.

#30 Aunt Gruntie

Aunt Gruntie

Sterilized Food Nipples!

• Contributor
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 11:27 PM

The public release's strikecraft are entirely different from the beta build.

Oh yeah, the changes are so iterative that I forget sometimes.

#31 Andy493

Andy493

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 40 posts
  • LocationSewaren NJ

Posted 15 June 2014 - 06:17 AM

Why did they change the UNSC strike craft in the new mod release? I'm probably wrong but it seems like alot of the advantages the UNSC have in this game are slowly being taken away is this true?

#32 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 15 June 2014 - 09:11 AM

You could not be more wrong. Seraph spam is horrible. If you have anywhere over 20 you can kill almost anything in one run. The UNSC by far have the weakest. Sabres suck horribly. Honestly, Sabres should be fighter-bombers, not one or the other. The broadsword is even worse. I dunno how it is in the pub build, but the UNSC's strike craft suck. The Athens isn't even worth building if you're trying to win. Thanatos spam wins the game.

Sabres are fighter-bombers, the reason we have it that way is so you can set targeting priority. They both are equally effective against fighters and bombers. Try it some time, manually order fighters to target a cap ship and you'll see they're pretty much equally effective

EDIT: Also,
sed -i 's/broadsword/longsword/' post

#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#33 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 09:17 AM

The UNSC strike craft suck against the covenant. The can only kill one class of ship, the SDV. This is due to how we simulated how missles work against shielding. As a result both archers and UNSC strike craft are useless against Covenant ships, save the SDV.
"Japan received freedom so hard it was atomizing." -VDNKh
Spoiler

#34 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 09:22 AM

The UNSC strike craft suck against the covenant. The can only kill one class of ship, the SDV. This is due to how we simulated how missles work against shielding. As a result both archers and UNSC strike craft are useless against Covenant ships, save the SDV.

you mean, missiles suck against shielding in general because theres no damage modifier?

• Crisiss likes this

#35 Lavo

Lavo

Grand Master Modder/Design Lead

• Mod Staff
  • 713 posts
  • LocationNot Uni's Basement

Posted 15 June 2014 - 12:18 PM

you mean, missiles suck against shielding in general because theres no damage modifier?

Uh, not sure where you're getting this from, as there is a damage modifier. There is physically no way to make a weapon that harms hull but does no damage if shields are active in Sins.

#36 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 12:21 PM

No, that's not how it was done. Armor types and Weapons types.... You don't remember that huge discussion because you were there and quite vocal.

Spoiler

#37 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 12:37 PM

No, that's not how it was done. Armor types and Weapons types.... You don't remember that huge discussion because you were there and quite vocal.

armor and weapon type modifiers work against hulls. Shielding has no modifier. You can test it out yourself if you want. Also, you dont have to be pissy about it, because i DO remember.

#38 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 12:41 PM

armor and weapon type modifiers work against hulls. Shielding has no modifier. You can test it out yourself if you want. Also, you dont have to be pissy about it.

Defender nothing was done with shields. Because you cannot emulate how archers were used against Covenant ships in Sins. So what we did was we made the weapon type that archers use do piss all against the armor type that all of the Covenant ships use save the SDV. Finally I am not getting pissy about it, I have no reason to. 

By the way shielding IS effected by armor type.

• SPECTRE likes this
Spoiler

#39 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

Banned user who criticised terrorists

• Members
  • 3,455 posts
  • LocationANGLIA BRUV, HOME TO THE PRODIGY, NON CRIMINAL GANGSTAS AND FARMERS

Posted 15 June 2014 - 12:55 PM

I don't think that was best removed. Its just going to make the rift between devs worse.

and No i wasn't going to egg this pathetic argument on.

• Defender0 and David0425 like this

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#40 Dianno5741

Dianno5741

Chief Petty Officer

• Members
  • 581 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:45 AM

This thread. Reading all the different strats people employ and strategies. All claiming to be the best. I see the balance has survived
  • Centurian128, ahunter257, SternuS and 3 others like this

bDNWw7L.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users