• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Moustachio86

Moustachio86

UniMinion

• Contributor
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:08 PM

My god, nothing I could do could prepare me for this. I love this mod like a child. And I'm still only on my first game. By the way, sneaking the Covenant into chokepoint:.. delectable.

I have but three slight problems at this moment in time:

#1 Background for the info cards on the UI. It may just be me, or it may be deliberate, but all mine are transparent. The info shows but there's nothing behind it. This is fine for deep space but when zoomed in on a firefight or planet it can get a bit difficult to read various items.

#2 Ship icons. I understand it's a beta, but these seem a little... rough? I can't really make out what ship is which and the lack of fill is a little bit disorientating, especially with some of the more basic frigates. I know Vanilla sins suffered from this a bit as well in my opinion (I'm looking at you, Kanrak Assailant) but hey, nothing that can't be improved, right? Given the size of gravity wells vs. ships, it can just get a little, cluttered.

#3 Sabotage reactor. Now to me it feels like the research trees are somewhat (christ, I don't want to seem ungrateful, forgive me almighty devs) unfinished? I've spotted plenty of original work and I wouldn't complain at all for most of the tech trees being left as is, it works. TEC to UNSC works quite well, though a few changes to items such as pervasive economy wouldn't go amiss. My main rub with this though, is sabotage reactor. It just seems to be sitting there, doing sod all, with no clue as to what it's actually for. It still has the same description, even down to referring to cobalts. Unsure as to what its purpose really is.

Otherwise I can't find a single problem. Ships look fantastic, it runs like a charm and haven't hit a single bug. I can see this only getting better in the future with this quality of work.

#2 Moustachio86

Moustachio86

UniMinion

• Contributor
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:13 PM

Sorry, only just saw the official thread for commenting. Many apologies for not playing ball there.

#3 Emberblaque

Emberblaque

Commander

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,356 posts
  • LocationThonotosassa, FL

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:19 PM

All we care about is that you are aware of and respect our guidelines for posting, which you certainly do, lol.

The first two are suggestions, and you are correct in assuming that they should be posted in Unikraken's feedback thread, but the third issue has been logged as a bug in our bug tracker. Feel free to post on this thread if you find any more bugs! (Anything down to a spelling or grammatical error.) We encourage people to maintain personal threads for bugs they find.

#4 CanadaMan7

CanadaMan7

Commander-in-Chief

• Administrators
  • 1,247 posts
  • LocationCharleston, SC

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:23 PM

This actually is a thoughtful review with good suggestions.

1) I believe this is deliberate, or at least I thought it was, so I didn't do anything about it.
2) There's been similar criticisms regarding them from other folks as well. I'll see what we can do to clean them up or to make them more recognizable.
3) Eh, to be honest, research is finished only in the mildest sense of the word. Stay tuned while we clean things up and make custom icons and such.

yLM4TEk.png

#5 CoSSpartan058

CoSSpartan058

Original Badass

• Contributor
  • 241 posts
  • LocationONI Facility, Reach

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:01 PM

Agreed on the ship icons, they appear to be transparent and are a little hard to differentiate.
Posted Image

#6 Moustachio86

Moustachio86

UniMinion

• Contributor
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:58 AM

Found a small graphics bug regarding strike craft returning to the phoenix refit when phase jumping. On more than one occasion their engine trails are still visible around the phoenix. I'm aware you're re-modelling and re-texturing the ship and that may inadvertently fix it so don't look too hard at this point. I'll attempt to get a screenshot up to illustrate what I mean.

#7 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:59 AM

Found a small graphics bug regarding strike craft returning to the phoenix refit when phase jumping. On more than one occasion their engine trails are still visible around the phoenix. I'm aware you're re-modelling and re-texturing the ship and that may inadvertently fix it so don't look too hard at this point. I'll attempt to get a screenshot up to illustrate what I mean.

it does this no matter what ship you use in the mod, it may be a problem with the exhaust trail effect for the fighters

#8 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:04 AM

That bug is present in vanilla... Not much we can do about it
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#9 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:16 AM

That bug is present in vanilla... Not much we can do about it

ive never noticed it in rebellion, was it fixed by then?

#10 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:58 AM

Maybe, not sure... haven't played enough rebellion to be sure...
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#11 CanadaMan7

CanadaMan7

Commander-in-Chief

• Administrators
  • 1,247 posts
  • LocationCharleston, SC

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:09 PM

Likely, but it's a bug with vanilla Entrenchment at the very least.

yLM4TEk.png

#12 Moustachio86

Moustachio86

UniMinion

• Contributor
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:29 AM

You know, it's a major credit to you guys that I am truly struggling to find anything wrong here. A few gameplay tweaks here and there maybe but that's only for personal preference, bug-wise it's like looking for a needle in a haystack factory.
  • Unikraken likes this

#13 CanadaMan7

CanadaMan7

Commander-in-Chief

• Administrators
  • 1,247 posts
  • LocationCharleston, SC

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:54 PM

You know, it's a major credit to you guys that I am truly struggling to find anything wrong here. A few gameplay tweaks here and there maybe but that's only for personal preference, bug-wise it's like looking for a needle in a haystack factory.

Thanks! But I'd like to think the time we waited before we released was well worth it, makes a noticeable difference between us and other TC mods that were operating with open betas.

yLM4TEk.png

#14 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:57 PM

Thanks! But I'd like to think the time we waited before we released was well worth it, makes a noticeable difference between us and other TC mods that were operating with open betas.

"worth the wait" is a complete understatement in this situation
  • Moustachio86 likes this

#15 Moustachio86

Moustachio86

UniMinion

• Contributor
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:16 PM

Ok, small bug found. After a Thermopylae went down there was a small red ring left, presumably a ship ability that was effecting it. Can someone tell me how to get images on here please? Much easier than describing it...

#16 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • Steam:Unikraken
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:26 PM

Ok, small bug found. After a Thermopylae went down there was a small red ring left, presumably a ship ability that was effecting it. Can someone tell me how to get images on here please? Much easier than describing it...

Upload them to an image hosting site and then hotlink them here. Welcome to 2005.
  • Moustachio86 likes this

[10:46:02 PM] VDNKh: Piercing Lance
[10:46:11 PM] VDNKh: fitting name for the ship that just fucked me

"Unikraken can soothe any nasties."

#17 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

i get screenshots with fraps and then put them on photobucket, they come out pretty nice

#18 Moustachio86

Moustachio86

UniMinion

• Contributor
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

Posted Image
There y'are. It was about the girth of the Thermopylae before she bought the farm. I thought it was the Thanatos' ability first but evidently it isn't.

Also, is the Halcyon intentionally able to bombard planets still or is that just a remnant of its capital ship days? Either way I'm just using it as a heavy bomber at the moment which is quite effective, even if unintentional.

#19 CanadaMan7

CanadaMan7

Commander-in-Chief

• Administrators
  • 1,247 posts
  • LocationCharleston, SC

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:17 PM

I'll see about cutting down the appearance time of that particle. Thanks for the screen grab and report.

yLM4TEk.png

#20 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • Steam:Unikraken
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:53 PM

Planetary bombing is intentional.

[10:46:02 PM] VDNKh: Piercing Lance
[10:46:11 PM] VDNKh: fitting name for the ship that just fucked me