47 replies to this topic

#1 Rocket1615

Rocket1615

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • LocationTurn around.

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:00 AM

Just a quick question/speculation/ramble.

I was taking a look at the  halopedia pages for both the SDV Heavy Corvette and the CRS Light Cruiser. The apparent sizes of these ships stuck out to me, for, the SDV is apparently 956 metres long and 399 metres wide, yet, the CRS is a measly 300 long, 145 wide. 

My question is; Is this simply an overlook in sizes, a blunder when creating the two ships for the universe, I mean, the SDV isn't shielded yet the CRS is apparently shielded... how? Furthermore, why is the SDV classed as a corvette when it is significantly larger than a cruiser? (or vice versa) Hell, the CPV-class heavy destroyer is 1,664 metres long and 1350 metres wide, (If I did the equation: (1664 x 1350) / (300 x 145) that would net the destroyer as 52 times bigger.(Or atleast, in terms of top down surface area.))

Visual size comparison:

640px-CRS-Corvette_size_comparison.jpg

#2 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

Banned user who criticised terrorists

• Members
  • 3,455 posts
  • LocationANGLIA BRUV, HOME TO THE PRODIGY, NON CRIMINAL GANGSTAS AND FARMERS

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:06 AM

I was taking a look at the  halopedia pages for both the SDV Heavy Corvette and the CRS Light Cruiser. The apparent sizes of these ships stuck out to me, for, the SDV is apparently 956 metres long and 399 metres wide, yet, the CRS is a measly 300 long, 145 wide. 

My question is; Is this simply an overlook in sizes, a blunder when creating the two ships for the universe, I mean, the SDV isn't shielded yet the CRS is apparently shielded... how? Furthermore, why is the SDV classed as a corvette when it is significantly larger than a cruiser? (or vice versa) Hell, the CPV-class heavy destroyer is 1,664 metres long and 1350 metres wide.

Visual size comparison:

In days of old sail. Ships were classified by use rather than size

A cruiser was a long range (from base) heavily armed and armoured ship of the line, while a corvette was a medium range fast reaction ship.

• Unikraken and haseo yashimora like this

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#3 Rocket1615

Rocket1615

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • LocationTurn around.

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:13 AM

In days of old sail. Ships were classified by use rather than size

A cruiser was a long range (from base) heavily armed and armoured ship of the line, while a corvette was a medium range fast reaction ship.

Aye, while I understand that classifications aren't based purely on strength/size, if you look at the rest of the ships in the halo universe, you can see that there is a definite correlation between size and classification. That being the "heavier", "stronger" or "better" ships are consistently larger.

#4 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:14 AM

I see where you're coming from, But it also goes the other way, Ships can be significantly larger than they need to be also.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#5 Rocket1615

Rocket1615

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • LocationTurn around.

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:19 AM

I see where you're coming from, But it also goes the other way, Ships can be significantly larger than they need to be also.

This is true, but it would imply that that the vast majority of covenant ships are oversized, I find it more plausible to think a tiny minority are undersized. 

• SternuS likes this

#6 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:58 AM

My question is; Is this simply an overlook in sizes, a blunder when creating the two ships for the universe, I mean, the SDV isn't shielded yet the CRS is apparently shielded... how? Furthermore, why is the SDV classed as a corvette when it is significantly larger than a cruiser? (or vice versa) Hell, the CPV-class heavy destroyer is 1,664 metres long and 1350 metres wide, (If I did the equation: (1664 x 1350) / (300 x 145) that would net the destroyer as 52 times bigger.(Or atleast, in terms of top down surface area.))

Visual size comparison:

well, i can tell you why the SDV isnt shielded

The SDV constantly deploys both fighters (banshees, seraphs) and drop pods, and if it were to raise and lower its shields every time it launched a wave of fighters/pods, the power requirements for that would be insane. therefore, it lacks shielding to be a more efficient ship. Also, the SDV, not being a direct combat ship, does not require shields like most other covenant ships.

#7 XtremeRoflcopter

XtremeRoflcopter

Petty Officer Second Class

• Contributor
  • 387 posts
  • LocationWorking the till at the Bank of Rofl handing out loans to all the noobs.

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:16 AM

Just because a ship is of the cruiser class doesn't mean it is going to be a large ship... There are ships that can pack a hell of a punch in a very small package (think of it like the noisey cricket from M.I.B)

It's easier to work on a map if a lot of Rum is involved...

#8 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 25 July 2014 - 12:32 PM

We don't call the Phoenix colony ship a cruiser because of it's size. It's classification goes by use. The SDV is made for support and light ship to ship engagements.
  • haseo yashimora likes this

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear - Marcus Aurelius

Spoiler

Spoiler

#9 Unleashed

Unleashed

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 68 posts
  • Steam:TheUnleashed69
  • LocationMiami,Florida

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:38 PM

This is true, but it would imply that that the vast majority of covenant ships are oversized, I find it more plausible to think a tiny minority are undersized. 

Hey hey, maybe they are oversized because the covenant are overcompensating for something.

The People made me do it.

#10 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:38 PM

SDV:

Large troop capacity

Fighters

Interceptors

Drop Pods

Designed for ground invasions. 

However like the corvettes of today they have limited range as shown by the vessel having to refuel with a mothership just a couple of days after its arrival in system, and less than impressive firepower.

CRS-class:
Decent troop capacity

Likely no fighters 

Designed for ship to ship combat.  

#11 psdt

psdt

Crewman

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • LocationNM

Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:16 AM

Wow. The CRS is reaaaally small.. I understand that it is scaled by game appearances, but looking at the comparison between the CRS and the SDV it looks like there's barely even standing room in a CRS. The interior of the SDV was pretty small from what I remember of Reach. And it looks like the CRS could fit inside the SDV.

Considering that the CRS is 300 meters long I guess there is still room for crew. It still just strikes me as odd. It seems like there'd be little to no room for multiple levels of compartments. I bet the inside has just enough room for crew and important systems. I mean you gotta remember that inside that 300 meters you need your sub-light engines, a slipspace drive, weapons, life support, shield generators, a bridge, crew quarters, and access ways to get to all the aforementioned systems and decks.

Long story short, I bet the insides of a CRS cruiser are quite cramped. Probably about as small as a ship that advanced could possibly get.

• Rocket1615 likes this

#12 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:29 AM

CRS-class:

Decent troop capacity

Likely no fighters 

Designed for ship to ship combat.  

i believe youre thinking of the CCS here. CRS has no possible troop capacity, besides maybe the essentials for boarding parties

#13 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 26 July 2014 - 02:13 PM

Wow. The CRS is reaaaally small.. I understand that it is scaled by game appearances, but looking at the comparison between the CRS and the SDV it looks like there's barely even standing room in a CRS. The interior of the SDV was pretty small from what I remember of Reach. And it looks like the CRS could fit inside the SDV.

Considering that the CRS is 300 meters long I guess there is still room for crew. It still just strikes me as odd. It seems like there'd be little to no room for multiple levels of compartments. I bet the inside has just enough room for crew and important systems. I mean you gotta remember that inside that 300 meters you need your sub-light engines, a slipspace drive, weapons, life support, shield generators, a bridge, crew quarters, and access ways to get to all the aforementioned systems and decks.

Long story short, I bet the insides of a CRS cruiser are quite cramped. Probably about as small as a ship that advanced could possibly get.

Not at all. The CRS-class is 984 feet long.  That's longer longer than every modern day amphibious assault ship by over a hundred feet.  All of which can carry well over a thousand soldiers, most of them approaching 2,000.

i believe youre thinking of the CCS here. CRS has no possible troop capacity, besides maybe the essentials for boarding parties

Yes it does.  Have you played Spartan Ops?

#14 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 02:22 PM

Not at all. The CRS-class is 984 feet long.  That's longer longer than every modern day amphibious assault ship by over a hundred feet.  All of which can carry well over a thousand soldiers, most of them approaching 2,000.

Yes it does.  Have you played Spartan Ops?

That doesn't account for all the systems required to keep a space ship running, a modern ship can run on a potato.

Most Landing ships carry circa a thousand men at overload capacity. I should also state that these are specifically made for troop capacity and ease of embarkation. 

US Amphibious assault ships are around 1500 at overload, which is usual.

• Defender0 and Rocket1615 like this

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#15 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 26 July 2014 - 05:39 PM

That doesn't account for all the systems required to keep a space ship running, a modern ship can run on a potato.

Most Landing ships carry circa a thousand men at overload capacity. I should also state that these are specifically made for troop capacity and ease of embarkation. 

US Amphibious assault ships are around 1500 at overload, which is usual.

Gonna go ahead and call bullshit on that.  The retired Iwo Jima-class is 180m long and carried more than 2,000 troops.  I doubt the  Wasp-class amphibious assault ship that is 253m long would carry any less than that at overload.  Furthermore.

http://www.ibiblio.o...hib/lhd-lha.txt

Ship's company: 1,081 (98 officer, 983
enlisted)

Troops: 1,875

At overload it should be well over 2,000.

And space systems or not the Charon-class light frigate has space for 782 troops, 12 Pelicans, over 4 tanks and several hornets, and that's with around half of her keel length being taken up by the MAC and its systems.  The CRS has no such limitations, can likely cram Unggoy like 18th century slavers did and store food supplies in the form of food nipples.  The idea that a CRS couldn't carry a over a thousand Unggoy with over a hundred Sangheili officers isn't ridiculous at all.  Especially considering Covenant systems are very likely to be much more compact than UNSC ones.

#16 Rocket1615

Rocket1615

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • LocationTurn around.

Posted 26 July 2014 - 06:26 PM

Gonna go ahead and call bullshit on that.  The retired Iwo Jima-class is 180m long and carried more than 2,000 troops.  I doubt the  Wasp-class amphibious assault ship that is 253m long would carry any less than that at overload.  Furthermore.

http://www.ibiblio.o...hib/lhd-lha.txt

Ship's company: 1,081 (98 officer, 983
enlisted)

Troops: 1,875

At overload it should be well over 2,000.

And space systems or not the Charon-class light frigate has space for 782 troops, 12 Pelicans, over 4 tanks and several hornets, and that's with around half of her keel length being taken up by the MAC and its systems.  The CRS has no such limitations, can likely cram Unggoy like 18th century slavers did and store food supplies in the form of food nipples.  The idea that a CRS couldn't carry a over a thousand Unggoy with over a hundred Sangheili officers isn't ridiculous at all.  Especially considering Covenant systems are very likely to be much more compact than UNSC ones.

However, the charon was designed as a troop transport, we have no evidence (to my knowledge) to support that the CRS was any similar, infact, the CRS is most likely a warship, not a transport.

• Defender0 likes this

#17 Cole Protocol

Cole Protocol

Balancing Coder - Particle Effects Artist

• Mod Staff
  • 1,390 posts
  • Steam:Cole Protocol
  • LocationSpirit of Fire, chilling with the Enduring Conviction.

Posted 26 July 2014 - 06:39 PM

(forgive typos on mobile)

we actually have proof that the CRS had a considerable troop compacity if you remember in Spartan ops on that one mantis mission a CRS moved right over head, and deployed several dozen phantoms and banshees before it was finally destroyed
  • Crisiss likes this

#18 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 06:46 PM

(forgive typos on mobile)

we actually have proof that the CRS had a considerable troop compacity if you remember in Spartan ops on that one mantis mission a CRS moved right over head, and deployed several dozen phantoms and banshees before it was finally destroyed

i wanna say thats an RCS (i would say CCS but its highly unlikely they were around in significant enough numbers at the time). i would fact check this, but i cant currently play halo 4 (xbox isnt hooked up), and i dont know where to look it up on halopedia

#19 Cole Protocol

Cole Protocol

Balancing Coder - Particle Effects Artist

• Mod Staff
  • 1,390 posts
  • Steam:Cole Protocol
  • LocationSpirit of Fire, chilling with the Enduring Conviction.

Posted 26 July 2014 - 06:53 PM

i wanna say thats an RCS (i would say CCS but its highly unlikely they were around in significant enough numbers at the time). i would fact check this, but i cant currently play halo 4 (xbox isnt hooked up), and i dont know where to look it up on halopedia

you do have a point, but I do find that unlikly, as the RCS has spikes near its "neck". So to speak. You can see it clearly In the opening Spartan ops cinematic. While the CRS lacks this. Granted, 343 may have used a CRS as a placeholder, but based on the info we have on Jul's fleet, it is more likely he would have used his crs cruisers rather than the rcs in this particular situation.

#20 David0425

David0425

Petty Officer Second Class

• Members
  • 317 posts
  • Steam:dtw0425
  • LocationEarth, Homefleet, UNSC Glorious Warrior

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:22 PM

Wouldn't it be more practical to simply swap roles of the crs and sdv in terms of planetary assault ships? The crs is confirmed to have an energy projector, while the sdv has anti ship weapons. Furthermore, halopedia states the sdv serves as an ship vs ship vessel while the crs serves as a support vessel.

"They must love the smell of Green." Thanks SOTP Modding team for all your Hard work, and effort in this mod!<br />
-Sergeant Avery Johnson,Halo 3<br />
Spoiler

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users