• This topic is locked This topic is locked
47 replies to this topic

#21 Cole Protocol

Cole Protocol

Balancing Coder - Particle Effects Artist

• Mod Staff
  • 1,390 posts
  • Steam:Cole Protocol
  • LocationSpirit of Fire, chilling with the Enduring Conviction.

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:26 PM

The crs is confirmed to have an energy projector

Erm, what?

#22 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:27 PM

(forgive typos on mobile)

we actually have proof that the CRS had a considerable troop compacity if you remember in Spartan ops on that one mantis mission a CRS moved right over head, and deployed several dozen phantoms and banshees before it was finally destroyed

This is very true.  Not to mention them deploying tons of reinforcements throughout the series.

However, the charon was designed as a troop transport, we have no evidence (to my knowledge) to support that the CRS was any similar, infact, the CRS is most likely a warship, not a transport.

Except for the fact that every single Covenant ship of the line has shown the ability to field considerable troops deployments supplemented by hundreds of vehicles.  Hell your run of the mill CCS-class can field upwards of 10,000 soldiers.  Why would the CRS not be able to field say a thousand Unggoy with a hundred or two Sangheili?

#23 David0425

David0425

Petty Officer Second Class

• Members
  • 317 posts
  • Steam:dtw0425
  • LocationEarth, Homefleet, UNSC Glorious Warrior

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:27 PM

Erm, what?

halo 4. first mission it uses a ventral beam in an attempt to destroy what remains of forward unto dawn

"They must love the smell of Green." Thanks SOTP Modding team for all your Hard work, and effort in this mod!<br />
-Sergeant Avery Johnson,Halo 3<br />
Spoiler

#24 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:29 PM

halo 4. first mission it uses a ventral beam in an attempt to destroy what remains of forward unto dawn

He's right, although I doubt it was an energy projector.

#25 David0425

David0425

• Members
  • 317 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:31 PM

He's right, although I doubt it was an energy projector.

the halo book mortal dictata states that a ventral beam is used to glass planets, as shown by staffan sentzke. i don't really know a difference between a energy projector and ventral beam :P

"They must love the smell of Green." Thanks SOTP Modding team for all your Hard work, and effort in this mod!<br />
Spoiler

#26 Cole Protocol

Cole Protocol

• Mod Staff
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:33 PM

i lol at 343's mistake there.

#27 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:36 PM

I'd imagine its some form of low powered energy projector.  Covenant weaponry has also been very confusing of late.

The Glassing cannon is presumably a high powered Energy Projector...fired by a tiny station and yet it 3 shots Infinity.  Which...if that's the case how does Infinity ironically outgun Covenant vessels far larger than that space station.

#28 David0425

David0425

• Members
  • 317 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:38 PM

how is it a mistake? its a light cruiser, it has a beam strong enough to destroy half a human frigate. its likely no where near as powerful as the other Covenant ships' ventral beams/ energy projectors.

Spoiler

#29 David0425

David0425

• Members
  • 317 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:39 PM

i just think it should be a planetary assault ship rather than an sdv

Spoiler

#30 Cole Protocol

Cole Protocol

• Mod Staff
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:40 PM

its more than likely a super pulse laser, as not even the SDV had a energy projector. and it is bigger.

#31 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:42 PM

its more than likely a super pulse laser, as not even the SDV had a energy projector. and it is bigger.

SDV isn't a dedicated warship however.  More like a glorified troop barge really. 

#32 David0425

David0425

• Members
  • 317 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:43 PM

The sdv sacrifices shields, and possibly higher grade of weapons, for hangar bays and an army to invade planets.

Spoiler

#33 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:57 PM

I would actually really like that. It could be interesting. Strike craft, high damage, nice armor, but no shields. I like. Maybe a minor drop pod ability. Hate the CRS anyhow.
  • David0425 likes this

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear - Marcus Aurelius

Spoiler

Spoiler

#34 David0425

David0425

• Members
  • 317 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 09:10 PM

I would actually really like that. It could be interesting. Strike craft, high damage, nice armor, but no shields. I like. Maybe a minor drop pod ability. Hate the CRS anyhow.

this. i feel the sdv and crs switching roles would help fit canon more correctly.

Spoiler

#35 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 26 July 2014 - 09:14 PM

this. i feel the sdv and crs switching roles would help fit canon more correctly.

Yeah, it would really help the whole CAR > CRS > CPV > CCS thing we have going on here. All that's relevant there is tech and ship costs. With the SDV there is a much different platform that can be messed with.
Personally, I think the Covenant should lose dedicated siege ships entirely and just give their ships abilities for it instead. Obviously different strength/type for each vessel but it could be cool.

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear - Marcus Aurelius

Spoiler

Spoiler

#36 David0425

David0425

• Members
  • 317 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 09:17 PM

Yeah, it would really help the whole CAR > CRS > CPV > CCS thing we have going on here. All that's relevant there is tech and ship costs. With the SDV there is a much different platform that can be messed with.
Personally, I think the Covenant should lose dedicated siege ships entirely and just give their ships abilities for it instead. Obviously different strength/type for each vessel but it could be cool.

ships wouldn't engage in battle and would instead move straight to the nearby planet to use their abilities. at least as far as i remember they do

Spoiler

#37 David0425

David0425

• Members
  • 317 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 09:21 PM

I think the devs should start a community poll regarding the switch. Or atleast an internal poll. The sdv is seen in Halo reach as an anti ship vessel against the Savannah. while the crs only attacks half a frigate and stays on the sidelines thereafter. none of the crs cruisers even fire at the infinity while its crashed on requiem.

Spoiler

#38 Cole Protocol

Cole Protocol

• Mod Staff
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 09:24 PM

none of the crs cruisers even fire at the infinity while its crashed on requiem.

Cause the Didact was hacking the thing, the covies aint gonna blow up something if there god is hacking it.

#39 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 26 July 2014 - 09:25 PM

ships wouldn't engage in battle and would instead move straight to the nearby planet to use their abilities. at least as far as i remember they do

SoGE's siege frigates are set up the same way, they don't rush to planets.
Anywho, even the CaW team realized they are also good for anti-ship duty. CRSs straight up blow and I think the SDV would be more of a jack-of-all-trades type ship and would be interesting to play with.

Spoiler

Spoiler

#40 David0425

David0425

• Members
  • 317 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 09:27 PM

Cause the Didact was hacking the thing, the covies aint gonna blow up something if there god is hacking it.

they could have suppressed the hangars to prevent UNSC reinforcements or retaliation, or destroyed the weapons aboard rather than just jamming them

Spoiler

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users