52 replies to this topic

#21 atlas117b

atlas117b

Giver of Ideas

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:51 PM

i dont recall any mention of mine fields in the books......

Fine, I will do this the dumbest F'n way possible so it is easier for you.

#22 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:27 PM

i dont recall any mention of mine fields in the books......

read ghosts of onyx

#23 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

I guess I'm just used to it from Sins…
"Japan received freedom so hard it was atomizing." -VDNKh
Spoiler

#24 Conran

Conran

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 46 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:40 PM

Why not borrow an idea from the X4 mod, make mines a permanent structure that applies AoE damage via an ability rather than detonating and destroying themselves, and have one of the smaller frigates have an ability to clear them. Then as a consequence you can lower the mines per a planet as it would be radii based. Two birds with one stone then, mines are no longer spammed and they can be of use properly rather than a disposable asset.

#25 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

a disposable asset.

isnt this the definition of a mine, except leaving out the explosion part?

#26 MasterOfShips

MasterOfShips

MasterOfPENIS

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:50 AM

I'm for keeping the mines. Like others have said before, minefields can save your ass from the fire if your fleet is either too small or too far away to adequately defend your world. Whenever I need to clear an enemy minefield, I just prowler spam for a few minutes to clear a large enough area for the rest of my fleet to jump in.

• Defender0 likes this
"For Melisandre's vagina is dark and full of terror. Trust me, I know."

#27 Aunt Gruntie

Aunt Gruntie

Sterilized Food Nipples!

• Contributor
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:11 AM

If you think about setting up a minefield in space, it seems to nigh impossible to do effectively without having to deploy millions of mines in order to cover a "decent" area in space, tho for gameplay purposes i think either a dedicated mineclearing ship or increase the prowlers reveal mines ability so they can be cleared at least a little faster, although invading a world with 200+ mines is going to be a pain no matter what you do, might as well go around

Help me Sergeant I'm lost in Kurfluffle land!

#28 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • Steam:KhevaKins
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:05 AM

Mines are good way to say fuck you good game when you are about to lose a game. Just set up minefields around every planet and sit back.
Spoiler

led203_crashed_0.pngled203.jpg

#29 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:37 AM

Mines are good way to say fuck you good game when you are about to lose a game. Just set up minefields around every planet and sit back.

Lol
Scorched Earth tactics... to a certain extent
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#30 cmatthews

cmatthews

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:02 PM

hey! if your gonna go out, go with a bang!

#31 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:45 PM

it seems to nigh impossible to do effectively without having to deploy millions of mines in order to cover a "decent" area in space

in ghosts of onyx, a prowler deployed its mine payload (14 mines), and this minefield destroyed several covenant cruisers

http://www.halopedia.org/UNSC_Dusk

#32 Emberblaque

Emberblaque

Commander

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,356 posts
  • LocationThonotosassa, FL

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:26 PM

If you think about setting up a minefield in space, it seems to nigh impossible to do effectively without having to deploy millions of mines in order to cover a "decent" area in space, tho for gameplay purposes i think either a dedicated mineclearing ship or increase the prowlers reveal mines ability so they can be cleared at least a little faster, although invading a world with 200+ mines is going to be a pain no matter what you do, might as well go around

I agree, space mines are bullshit unless the detonation is enormous and there's a correspondingly large activation radius.

#33 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

I agree, space mines are bullshit unless the detonation is enormous and there's a correspondingly large activation radius.

....i see a potential idea

#34 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:34 PM

Give me all the nuclear mines in space. Because those are what prowlers dropped anyway. Nuke mines.
  • Defender0 likes this
Spoiler

#35 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:32 AM

Give me all the nuclear mines in space. Because those are what prowlers dropped anyway. Nuke mines.

This good man read ghosts of onyx

#36 Guest_Golly_*

Guest_Golly_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:34 PM

Or a Halo Wiki.

Or has common sense.

#37 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:24 PM

No I reads All the Books.
  • Defender0 likes this
Spoiler

#38 psdt

psdt

Crewman

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • LocationNM

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:40 PM

yeah I like mines. And they are countered pretty easily by fighters and careful usage of some prowlers. (which will hopefully be upgraded)

#39 Conran

Conran

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 46 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:01 PM

isnt this the definition of a mine, except leaving out the explosion part?

Late reply but better late than never. Yes, indeed they are, but in an RTS setting such as Sins, for mines to be useful they require a few things;

Have a larger AoE
Better management
Have actual use rather than a simple "lets dickslam our capitals through them so they detonate and leave the Kodiaks alone"

The idea of having them as an entity that has a detonation within a wide radius with a cool down instead of having to redeploy them to say, keep flood incursions under control, makes sense. It would mean the following;

Less AI spam, therefore less potential game crippling lag in late game
A viable means to counter flood incursion research if lagging behind in research abilities
An item that no longer requires micro management, at least in the terms of SotP gameplay

It would be a win win for all involved. Players can atleast slow down the Flood/Smaller combat groups, gameplay lag is reduced and they actually become a fully fleshed out and useful tool and not something to spam when you find yourself either bored or on the defensive.

Balancing that would not even be too problematic, if it's found to literally nullify Flood incursions, which it theoreticly could if the logic is applied to the public beta, you could simply alter the damage properties to be lower but offer a debuff causing either ship speed reductions or ability/combat range reductions. It means it would not kill off a flood group instantly but feasably buy time for SMACs to reliably engage targets.

#40 TheOtherXtremeRoflcopter

TheOtherXtremeRoflcopter

Petty Officer Third Class

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationTrapped in my computer, please send help!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:01 PM

r u guys r planning on scrapping the mines? the computer goes a little crazy with them on heroic and legendary

Why should they? Seriously... human players go nuts with them so why shouldn't they be there for the A.I to use? Plus I believe that they would make excellent traps for Flood when they come to your worlds. (not sure if infect them or not)
"When I joined the Corps, we didn't have any fancy-schmanzy tanks. We had sticks! Two sticks, and a rock for the whole platoon—and we had to share the rock! Buck up, boy, you are one very lucky marine!" - Sergeant Avery Johnson.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users