• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#21 damn_tall_marine

damn_tall_marine

You killed the Chief! You bastards!

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:25 AM

Ok, i had another idea for an ability for the supercarrier. It is a fleet buff, but hear me out.

So, from what ive been thinking, the Supercarrier is usually going to be the flagship of your fleet, or at least the fleet centerpiece. Therefore, wouldnt it make sense to give it a buff that improves the overall effectiveness of all of the ships in the fleet?

Here is what im proposing: a non stackable buff that gives a few improvements to all allied ships in the gravity well, such as improved turning rate, weapon damage/weapon cooldown (one or the other), or hull point restoration (maybe 1 or 2 points per second). Again, this would be a non stacking buff, so it would not work to make 16 supercarriers and expect this buff to be multiplied. Also, the numbers i am talking about for these buffs would be small, around 10% to 15%.

Now for the canon explanation as to why this would make sense. UNSC Supercarriers could have been like the spartans in a sense that they brought morale to the UNSC when they were around. These ships could have made the rest of the UNSC fleet believe they might have a fighting chance (im assuming this, i dont have actual solid proof). So, it makes sense that a supercarrier would bring a lot of help to its fleet, hence this buff, which could fittingly be called "Morale Boost".

This is more or less me rambling about an idea i came up with in 10 minutes, any thoughts/suggestions are welcome, as well as ways to balance this ability if it is considered to be used.

Oh, and one more thing. THIS IS OBVIOUSLY MEANT TO REPLACE THE ION BOLT ABILITY lol

Well I don't know about morale boost but It would make sense if the Supercarrier had a smart AI aboard like Roland on Infinity, and the AI can boost the ships, within broadcast area, the boosts that you described?

#22 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • Steam:KhevaKins
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:32 AM

The Charon's have an AI based ability that gives a buff. I think it is called Smart AI and it coordinates the fleet together or something like that.
Spoiler

led203_crashed_0.pngled203.jpg

#23 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:44 AM

Well I don't know about morale boost but It would make sense if the Supercarrier had a smart AI aboard like Roland on Infinity, and the AI can boost the ships, within broadcast area, the boosts that you described?

just so you know, the supercarrier now has a buff like this, its based heavily off of my idea in the "new supercarrier ability" thread.

#24 damn_tall_marine

damn_tall_marine

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:28 AM

just so you know, the supercarrier now has a buff like this, its based heavily off of my idea in the "new supercarrier ability" thread.

Ah well now I look like a total retard, face palm

#25 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:29 AM

Meh, you didn't know... not an issue :P
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#26 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:55 AM

In your defense, it was implemented just last night

#27 damn_tall_marine

damn_tall_marine

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:04 PM

In your defense, it was implemented just last night

Ohhhhhh I see how it is pick on the new guy! Haha well I can't wait for the next patch then this game just gets better and better, so did they to with your idea of morale boost as the name? Or are they still working that out?

#28 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:25 PM

The name is "Fleet Command", and right now, im trying to get it to work on my version, so i can tell someone how to change it, because right now, it isnt working correctly lol

#29 Guest_Golly 1st Earl Oxford VC_*

Guest_Golly 1st Earl Oxford VC_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:10 PM

Sounds like a generic name.

Honestly, you people should let me pick all of your names for everything.

#30 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:55 PM

Why? Its name fits the role it fills

#31 damn_tall_marine

damn_tall_marine

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:05 PM

Hey if you create a fleet does it come with a bonus? Cause I think if you organize your fleet and have a chain of command you should get a 1 to 2% across the board?

#32 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:17 PM

Hey if you create a fleet does it come with a bonus? Cause I think if you organize your fleet and have a chain of command you should get a 1 to 2% across the board?

Well, the way the UNSC fleet works is that a lot of ships have small buffs that stack. So, what you want is a large fleet with a lot of variety, to get a lot of each buff.

The way the supercarrier buff is working is that it will give a few ships worth of each of the frigate/cruiser buffs to the entire fleet. So, its a few small buffs applied over a large amount of ships. This is what you are talking about, except its a bigger boost.

#33 damn_tall_marine

damn_tall_marine

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:29 PM

Well, the way the UNSC fleet works is that a lot of ships have small buffs that stack. So, what you want is a large fleet with a lot of variety, to get a lot of each buff.

The way the supercarrier buff is working is that it will give a few ships worth of each of the frigate/cruiser buffs to the entire fleet. So, its a few small buffs applied over a large amount of ships. This is what you are talking about, except its a bigger boost.

Thank you for putting it in marine terms. Now I understand lol

#34 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:32 PM

Thank you for putting it in marine terms. Now I understand lol

XD i wasnt even trying to, but youre welcome. TBH, im just a geek who sits at a computer when he isnt at college or doing homework.

#35 damn_tall_marine

damn_tall_marine

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:57 PM

XD i wasnt even trying to, but youre welcome. TBH, im just a geek who sits at a computer when he isnt at college or doing homework.

That's alright I'm just a jarhead that sits on the computer and play games while I am suppose to do reports XD
  • Emberblaque and Defender0 like this

#36 Guest_Golly 1st Earl Oxford VC_*

• Guests

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:55 AM

Because it sounds like a boring unimaginative name, I personally wouldn't use it simply because of the bad name.

#37 damn_tall_marine

damn_tall_marine

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:23 AM

Because it sounds like a boring unimaginative name, I personally wouldn't use it simply because of the bad name.

So are you saying it should be "Her royal majesty's command"?
  • mhdalyn likes this

#38 Guest_Golly 1st Earl Oxford VC_*

• Guests

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:29 AM

I name all of my ships after classes of dreadnoughts, battleships and first rate ships of the line in the Royal Navy in the period of 1815-1918.

#39 mhdalyn

mhdalyn

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 37 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:57 PM

I give all my capital ships the names of dragons from various fantasy sources.

EDIT: I don't feel this worthy of a new post, but I think I might start naming them after memes. "The allied vessel 'Bad Luck Brian' has been destroyed" sounds pretty great to me.

#40 damn_tall_marine

damn_tall_marine

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:14 PM

Woah, hold on you can name your capitals!?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users