Speculate.

#22 MrChipps

MrChipps

Having a beer with Colonel Jack O'Neill

• Contributor
  • 789 posts
  • LocationThe Commonwealth wasteland

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:44 AM

It just annoys me that the books and Halo 4 sets the stage for a major technologic evolution only to leave everything inferred (exept for the Infinity and underslung Charons of course). There's not even a given number for how many spartan IVs were created. Do the weird anntenae ship have shields? Who knows!...............I'm of to take out my anger on...........someone
Sweden can into gender!

#23 ShadowOfIntent

ShadowOfIntent

The Master Janitor

• Members
  • 182 posts
  • LocationYou don't feel the breathing on your neck?

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:55 AM

It just annoys me that the books and Halo 4 sets the stage for a major technologic evolution only to leave everything inferred (exept for the Infinity and underslung Charons of course). There's not even a given number for how many spartan IVs were created. Do the weird anntenae ship have shields? Who knows!...............I'm of to take out my anger on...........someone

Frank O'Connor's a good punching bag.
Spoiler

#24 MrChipps

MrChipps

• Contributor
  • 789 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:01 AM

Frank O'Connor's a good punching bag.

I was thinking of hopping on the "crude jokes about JRspartans mom" bandwagon......any room left?
Sweden can into gender!

#25 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:14 AM

Small......like the spartan IV project?

Oh you mean the armor powered by a micro fusion reactor which would give the required surplus to allow for energy shielding and costs more than most other systems in the UNSC arsenal...
"Japan received freedom so hard it was atomizing." -VDNKh
Spoiler

#26 MrChipps

MrChipps

• Contributor
  • 789 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:16 AM

Oh you mean the armor powered by a micro fusion reactor which would give the required surplus to allow for energy shielding and costs more than most other systems in the UNSC arsenal...

Exactly my point

The power options are there, but I agree that they are expensive
Sweden can into gender!

#27 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:27 AM

you mean the armor that costs pretty much (10 minutes of halopedia research later, no cost found) some astronomically high cost, probably equivalent to a very small UNSC frigate?

#28 MrChipps

MrChipps

• Contributor
  • 789 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:46 AM

Well no numbers have been given for the cost of gen 2 mjolnir either, but they are significantly cheaper to be deployed in such large numbers as to be given to all spartan IVs. The wartime mjolnir systems were always prototypes and/or tesbeds for new tech and a prototype is always an expensive affair.
Yet again I wish to point out the fact that the UNSC has cracked and proposed/implemented theoretical improvements, at the end of the war, of multiple covenant technologies. The prophet of regrets in-atmosphere jump was only possible through Cortanas improvements of covenant slipdrives.

*speculation*
With this in mind, is it really that much of a leap to consider that the post-war UNSC just might be more technologically knowledgeable than the wartime Covenant? That the only reason the new tech is not wideley deployed is the time needed to build a new infrastructure?
Sweden can into gender!

#29 MasterOfShips

MasterOfShips

MasterOfPENIS

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:16 AM

Alright, time to reopen up this can of worms. According to halopedia, it would appear that Mr. Chippings is right.

source - http://www.halopedia...nergy_shielding

"The UNSC also uses "shield doors", which were installed on the refit platform Anchor 9 and in atrium of the Office of Naval Intelligence's Alpha Site. One of the UNSC's most recent breakthroughs in energy shield development came with the creation of the YSS-1000 Sabre orbital fighter, which is the first human spacecraft known to use energy shields. The post-war Mantis is another UNSC vehicle that utilizes energy shields. The post-war successor to the Longsword and Sabres, the F-41 Broadsword, is equipped with energy shields, though not powerful enough to travel through Slipspace.[6] Some warships also received shields post-war, with at least the UNSC Infinity and its embarked frigates possessing energy shielding."
"For Melisandre's vagina is dark and full of terror. Trust me, I know."

#30 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • Steam:Unikraken
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:00 PM

So, pretty much anything attached to the UNSC Infinity gets shielding.
  • MasterOfShips likes this

[10:46:02 PM] VDNKh: Piercing Lance
[10:46:11 PM] VDNKh: fitting name for the ship that just fucked me

"Unikraken can soothe any nasties."

#31 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:22 AM

As stated to many times for me to count... Albeit those are what we know from cannon
"Japan received freedom so hard it was atomizing." -VDNKh
Spoiler

#32 MrChipps

MrChipps

• Contributor
  • 789 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:37 AM

Well, the saber and broadsword both have shields without being attached to the Infinity as shown in Halo: Reach and Halo 4. In reach the saber was a stand-alone prototype seperate from the later Infinity project in the Oort cloud. In Halo 4 the Chief uses a shielded Broadsword from a research station...........soooooo, the UNSC is familiar enough with shields to implement them on all Broadsword fighters, the current mainstay fighter as shown during the events of Halo 4 and spartan ops.
Sweden can into gender!

#33 MasterOfShips

MasterOfShips

MasterOfPENIS

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:22 AM

I'm not sure, but I think Unikraken is referring to the idea of having the Infinity provide shielding as a fleet buff.
"For Melisandre's vagina is dark and full of terror. Trust me, I know."

#34 MrChipps

MrChipps

• Contributor
  • 789 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:53 AM

That would be my guess, I'm simply trying to make a point about the UNSCs claim to shielding fame.........even if I get killed for being a nag
Sweden can into gender!

#35 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:34 PM

No, what I'm saying is that anything that would have contact with the Huragok on the Infinity would have shielding. The research facility was put into Infinity after she towed the Composer to the asteroid. Sabers are irrelevant to Halo 4's time period, as they were top secret and only on Reach. Infinity left the broadswords behind for defense, imho. There's no reason to assume mainstream UNSC assets have shielding, every time we've seen it it's been directly related to ONI.

#36 Wikia

Wikia

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 91 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:59 PM

Maybe make the ONI faction (once things get moved to Rebellion) have shielding with slightly less hull integrity while the 'main' UNSC faction has no shielding but incredibly superior armor by comparison?
"I'm not a terrorist, I'm a pirate."

#37 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:45 PM

Maybe make the ONI faction (once things get moved to Rebellion) have shielding with slightly less hull integrity while the 'main' UNSC faction has no shielding but incredibly superior armor by comparison?

This is along the lines that we're thinking. We'll discuss it more publicly when we're closer to a Rebellion release.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users