• Create Account

Photo

What's your favourite UNSC ship in Sins of the Prophets

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

Poll: Favourite UNSC ship (55 member(s) have cast votes)

What's your's in Sins of the Prophets

1. Prowler (1 votes [1.82%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.82%

2. Charon (2 votes [3.64%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.64%

3. Paris (3 votes [5.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.45%

4. Mako (1 votes [1.82%] - View)

5. Berlin (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. Phoenix (Colony) (2 votes [3.64%] - View)

7. Phoenix (Refit) (3 votes [5.45%] - View)

8. Thanatos (6 votes [10.91%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.91%

9. Halcyon (le ole' version) (4 votes [7.27%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.27%

10. Halcyon (Refit) (2 votes [3.64%] - View)

11. Marathon (7 votes [12.73%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.73%

12. Voted Eion (1 votes [1.82%] - View)

13. Cradle (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

14. Valiant (3 votes [5.45%] - View)

15. Athens (4 votes [7.27%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.27%

16. Super Carrier (5 votes [9.09%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

17. Orion (11 votes [20.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Sneer

Sneer

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • LocationThe Great White Fleet, circumnavigating the galaxy

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:38 PM

I love the Athens, especially when you level it up a few times and it gets ungodly amounts of Longswords to throw around, plus its AAA Helix guns shred enemy fighters better and better as you level it up. Never really understood why it carries almost the same amount of strikecraft as the Thermopylae when that ship is a supercarrier and the Athens is merely a carrier, but I don't really mind.

#42 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:04 PM

I love the Athens, especially when you level it up a few times and it gets ungodly amounts of Longswords to throw around, plus its AAA Helix guns shred enemy fighters better and better as you level it up. Never really understood why it carries almost the same amount of strikecraft as the Thermopylae when that ship is a supercarrier and the Athens is merely a carrier, but I don't really mind.

its because the thermopylae is part battleship, part carrier. the athens is a dedicated carrier. Still, having 19 squadrons of strikecraft at level 10 is kind of ridiculous...
  • Sneer likes this

#43 Emberblaque

Emberblaque

Commander

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,356 posts
  • LocationThonotosassa, FL

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:10 PM

its because the thermopylae is part battleship, part carrier.

When was that stated?

#44 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:11 PM

When was that stated?

when its MAC does 839 DPS at level 10 with research

#45 Rovert10

Rovert10

Balance Team

• Mod Staff
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:18 PM

To be fair. Getting a capital ship to level 10 isn't an easy challenge when they are killed much more quickly than any regular Sins ship.
If an Athens gets to 10 then, then by all means have the 19 strikecraft. You deserve something from getting that far.

The Thermopyle at lower levels can still pump out more strikecraft than the Athens alone due to the fact it has rapid manufacturing as a regular skill rather than an ultimate. Rapid manufacturing is probably the most worthwhile ability on the Themopyle especially if you are going strikecraft heavy fleets. Since no matter how many are shot down they are back in seconds.

#46 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:20 PM

When was that stated?

It's a battlecruiser that happens to be an outstanding carrier

Battlecruiser=super, carrier=carrier
supercarrier
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#47 Emberblaque

Emberblaque

Commander

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:26 PM

when its MAC does 839 DPS at level 10 with research

The ship's huge, the bigger the ship, the more powerful the MAC because the slugs can be larger and they can be accelerated for a greater period of time and with greater force.

It's a battlecruiser that happens to be an outstanding carrier

Battlecruiser=super, carrier=carrier
supercarrier

I haven't heard this either. Battlecruisers have shitty armor and good weapons so they can destroy most things and outrun what they can't destroy, that's nothing like the Thermopylae.

Despoiler says, "i remember uni or canada saying something about it having the amount of strikecraft it does because its more warship than carrier but i'm not going to go through dmg forum stuff to find the exact quote"

I say, "I don't really get how it would have more strikecraft than carrier because it's a "warship," and warship is a very general designation, but alright."

Anybody else wanna jump in here and explain to me how the Thermopylae's anything else besides a huge carrier with ample room for a bitchin' MAC and lots of armor for good measure?

#48 Rovert10

Rovert10

Balance Team

• Mod Staff
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:30 PM

It's a carrier.
Just that the carrier had multiple purposes in mind.
Thus it could be a battlecruiser if you desired. When is battlecruiser = super?

#49 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:33 PM

I wouldnt say its a battlecruiser so much as a battleship. Battlecruiser implies that it is meant to hit hard and fast. Battleships are more about dealing heavy hits and taking heavy hits.

The "super" comes from the fact that the supercarrier is (at the time) the biggest ship made by the UNSC

#50 Emberblaque

Emberblaque

Commander

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:37 PM

I wouldnt say its a battlecruiser so much as a battleship. Battlecruiser implies that it is meant to hit hard and fast. Battleships are more about dealing heavy hits and taking heavy hits.

^^ This.

The "super" comes from the fact that the supercarrier is (at the time) the biggest ship made by the UNSC

We got it from the real, but arbitrary designation applied to certain aircraft carriers, and nothing else. It's just an extremely large carrier, and as UNSC ships increase in size, the become more heavily armored, and have more powerful MACs.

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Supercarrier

#51 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:38 PM

We got it from the real, but arbitrary designation applied to certain aircraft carriers, and nothing else. It's just an extremely large carrier, and as UNSC ships increase in size, the become more heavily armored, and have more powerful MACs.

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Supercarrier

im giving a potential explanation as to why it was given that designation by the UNSC.

#52 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:36 PM

im giving a potential explanation as to why it was given that designation by the UNSC.

I would assume it was ment to f@%k s$&t up.
;-)
"Japan received freedom so hard it was atomizing." -VDNKh
Spoiler

#53 Emberblaque

Emberblaque

Commander

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:03 PM

Just don't sell speculation as fact. There's no real answer, not even in our mod's canon.

#54 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:38 PM

Just don't sell speculation as fact. There's no real answer, not even in our mod's canon.

Sorry i made it sound a different way than intended? Loosen up a LITTLE once in a while.

#55 Emberblaque

Emberblaque

Commander

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:52 PM

Sorry i made it sound a different way than intended? Loosen up a LITTLE once in a while.

You and your consistently misguided intentions...

Don't misinform people for the sake of feeling knowledgeable, once in a while.

#56 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:53 PM

You and your consistently misguided intentions...

Don't misinform people for the sake of feeling knowledgeable, once in a while.

And dont turn this into another of our post wars that end in a locked or deleted thread. Seriously, you and i need to at least come to some form of peace.

#57 Emberblaque

Emberblaque

Commander

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:12 PM

And dont turn this into another of our post wars that end in a locked or deleted thread. Seriously, you and i need to at least come to some form of peace.

That's never happened. Allow me to explain.

It's clear that no lives or profit will be forgone if the thing's called anything from the Thermopylae-class supercarrier to the Thermopylae-class butt plug. The reason I'm consistently hounding you is because you are the very worst kind of intelligent person: the one who learns just enough to appear informed, and nothing else. When you are intelligent, people unwittingly believe what you tell them, because they assume that you actually know. As an intelligent person, you have a duty to your fellow humans to only say with confidence that which you know with confidence. If changing the behavior of even one erroneous intelligent person is the result of me harassing the shit out of someone and looking like a hypercorrect, obsessive, intolerable asshole, then I will sleep more soundly for it. None of the wrong things that I have seen you do are important in and of themselves; what they indicate about your character absolutely are. This may be the Internet, but you are somewhere interacting with real people, discussing real things, really misinforming them because feeling correct is pleasurable. When that stops happening, we will have peace.
  • Unikraken, JasonAHawkins, MrChipps and 1 other like this

#58 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • Steam:Unikraken
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:27 PM

It's probably best not to speculate. We mod staff know the intent more than the fans, of course.

[10:46:02 PM] VDNKh: Piercing Lance
[10:46:11 PM] VDNKh: fitting name for the ship that just fucked me

"Unikraken can soothe any nasties."

#59 Sneer

Sneer

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • LocationThe Great White Fleet, circumnavigating the galaxy

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:18 PM

Alright so it's been established as to why as a "supercarrier" the Thermopylae has fewer total squadrons than the Athens, but here's another question: obviously the Thermopylae has the largest amount of health out of all the UNSC ships, but when you look into it the Thermopylae only has a few thousand more hit points than an Orion, despite being a good three to four times that ship's size. This might be somewhat nitpicky, but it just seems as if for being that much larger the Thermopylae would have a more pronounced difference in total health, at least going off of size. Like I said, it has a huge amount of health as it is, but it doesn't quite seem proportional based off of how damn big the thing is.

#60 D4RKST0RM99

D4RKST0RM99

There's a DarkStorm coming Mr. Canadaman...

• Authorized Playtester
  • 961 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:18 PM

Alright so it's been established as to why as a "supercarrier" the Thermopylae has fewer total squadrons than the Athens, but here's another question: obviously the Thermopylae has the largest amount of health out of all the UNSC ships, but when you look into it the Thermopylae only has a few thousand more hit points than an Orion, despite being a good three to four times that ship's size. This might be somewhat nitpicky, but it just seems as if for being that much larger the Thermopylae would have a more pronounced difference in total health, at least going off of size. Like I said, it has a huge amount of health as it is, but it doesn't quite seem proportional based off of how damn big the thing is.

I think the clue is in the name, cruiser types wil always have a higher HP than the carrier types in its weight class so the Orion being of the cruiser lineage should have a higher armor value. And if you're unclear as to why cruisers are tougher than carriers look at todays naval ships, Cruisers are clad in heavy armor designed to survive heavy combat long term, the primary role of a carrier is to provide fighter support, utility re-arn and re-fuel capability and coverage for its battle group. its design shows as much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users