• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#101 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:39 AM

Well, half of the vasari strategy is to cripple the enemy and then overwhelm them. The covenant has a lot more focus on firepower and far less focus on disabling ships. Keep this in mind when you come up with covenant strategy.

#102 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • Steam:Unikraken
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:46 AM

I hate to say this, because I will mainly be playing UNSC once we finish out the mod, but the best thing you can do with the Covenant is: if you win a battle and still have ships surviving, especially if you have a capital ship surviving, push forward and keep attacking. Don't stop to regroup or recoup ships. Start building another fleet at home while that one is moving and just do as much damage as you can while that fleet lives. You have to cripple the UNSC economically or you will lose out in the end. You have to keep up the pressure. Turtling is not a sound strategy for the Covenant.
  • Emberblaque, Defender0, Dianno5741 and 1 other like this

[10:46:02 PM] VDNKh: Piercing Lance
[10:46:11 PM] VDNKh: fitting name for the ship that just fucked me

"Unikraken can soothe any nasties."

#103 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:49 AM

A good idea for your shipyard worlds is to rally ships to your fleet, so they head for the action immediately after being built. This way, you can constantly resupply your fleet while advancing.

Also, target asteriod belts and try to capture as many extractors as you can, they provide a massive boost

#104 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:51 AM

The Covenant assault on Reach was essentially an assault on their strongest world. They glassed the major center for research and production and the UNSC lost their capacity to build enough ships to put up any real resistance. Earth was attacked in very short order. In SoaSE terms, you would scout for their production worlds and strike there to reduce the number of ships you'll have to fight overall, because you're reducing the production capability of the enemy.

#105 chiefship

chiefship

Petty Officer First Class

• Members
  • 407 posts
  • LocationLand of the wörk. wörk wörk wörk

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:01 AM

The Covenant assault on Reach was essentially an assault on their strongest world. They glassed the major center for research and production and the UNSC lost their capacity to build enough ships to put up any real resistance. Earth was attacked in very short order. In SoaSE terms, you would scout for their production worlds and strike there to reduce the number of ships you'll have to fight overall, because you're reducing the production capability of the enemy.

it is funny that you say this, because this is what i'm already doing. I'm espiacially try to hit with a small battelgroup all their resarch facility in a mp game, because they cost the most reources and are easily to find at the beginnig.

My face during the Germany:Brazil game 2014

Spoiler

#106 Emberblaque

Emberblaque

Commander

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,356 posts
  • LocationThonotosassa, FL

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:26 PM

A good idea for your shipyard worlds is to rally ships to your fleet, so they head for the action immediately after being built. This way, you can constantly resupply your fleet while advancing.

Is it possible to rally to a fleet? Or only a specific ship? And if that specific ship is destroyed, is the rally point reset?

#107 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:30 PM

Is it possible to rally to a fleet? Or only a specific ship? And if that specific ship is destroyed, is the rally point reset?

if you rally a shipyard to the fleet icon, it rallys to the flagship of the fleet (the ship that the fleet icon hovers over). And yes, if that ship is destroyed, the rally point is destroyed.

#108 D4RKST0RM99

D4RKST0RM99

There's a DarkStorm coming Mr. Canadaman...

• Authorized Playtester
  • 961 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:53 AM

I can easily misinterpret things written, especially on the internet, so apologies. Also since the Covenant never put shields on the ground turrets and pretty much left the core power chamber exposed, the turrets they might put in space would most likely resemble the design and be easily destroyed by even the lightest of UNSC warvessels, so long as they get in range before the turret shoots them down.

Makes sense that the Covenant ground based artillery would be more powerful than if it was made orbital, much easier to power, maintain and defend the turret like the covenant tyrant on the surface of the planet, also the Venezia based black market tyrant in the Halo novel Glasslands was able to target and fire upon ships several thousand km out from the planet, you would need an adequate infrastructure to achieve this given the enormous amount of power to fire the weapon, consider what it takes to power an array of orbital SMACs. Also these turrets lack of sheilding may be due to how cheap numerous they are and how they can be quickly deployed to a planet and assembled (as seen in Halo 3)- quantity over quality as their function it to provide an anti-ship/fighter screen over a vast area without being to costly to their mothership resources.

#109 Dhoulmegus

Dhoulmegus

Some Kind of Sorcerer

• Inactive Staff
  • 253 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:38 AM

Makes sense that the Covenant ground based artillery would be more powerful than if it was made orbital, much easier to power, maintain and defend the turret like the covenant tyrant on the surface of the planet, also the Venezia based black market tyrant in the Halo novel Glasslands was able to target and fire upon ships several thousand km out from the planet, you would need an adequate infrastructure to achieve this given the enormous amount of power to fire the weapon, consider what it takes to power an array of orbital SMACs. Also these turrets lack of sheilding may be due to how cheap numerous they are and how they can be quickly deployed to a planet and assembled (as seen in Halo 3)- quantity over quality as their function it to provide an anti-ship/fighter screen over a vast area without being to costly to their mothership resources.

Another reason why Covenant wouldn't want to put shields on these turrets is due to the fact that they have to turn off the shield each time before it fires. Which would be a turret's main/only function, so adding a shield would just complicate things as well.
Don't read this signature.

#110 Dianno5741

Dianno5741

Chief Petty Officer

• Members
  • 581 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:04 AM

Right so im back from my break and its time to put some stuff to rest

I scanned the thread, but ill carpet bomb all ideas that were discussed.

1) the next dude who mentions in some sort of fashion "WAHHHH i want nova bombs", Gets kicked out the airlock. NOVA bombs can not be implemented without breaking the game and "more than likely" making the Ai SHIT ITSELF. also they werent around until approx REACH in 2552. Protoypes? maybe but if you had something that powerful in 2543, i would think youd see more about them being used, even in functional prototype stage.

2) Covenant defenses are in the air, right now i currently had them not able to be built since the hardpointing was bad anyway they ddi little and im running to see if the covenant can function without them or using a very light defense (think plasma rifle in space) Space stations iwll be the covenant main stay defense or offense.

3) Stations and YOU! Stations for the covenant are mobile and should be considered a huge threeat, both on offense and dfense. Think deathstar without the giant-laser-planet-blower-upper. they can move and support a covenatn fleet which doesnt need support so that should already make you shit your UNSC uniform.

4) A strong offense is a good defense. this is the covenant motto. If you hang out and turtle as covenant i guarentee the UNSC will fuck you up. Stations should be used on defense in conjecture with a token force or small frigate fleet to ward off UNSC ships. remember if he sends a harassing number of ships, and you have say 5 frigates, he would need approx 10-15 charons to kill you. thats quite a bit of harass if your pressuring him else where.
  • Unikraken, Centurian128, Bornstellaris and 2 others like this

bDNWw7L.png

#111 mhdalyn

mhdalyn

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 37 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:41 PM

1.) I was under the impression that the NOVA bomb on reach WAS the prototype...

2.) Maybe the Covenant defensive structures could be like the UNSC frigates and provide a passive fleet buff to all ships in the gravity well. So they don't do any defending themselves, but they make ships that do the defending more effective at it.

3.) I always wanted a mobile starbase with the Docking Booms ability. All dem huragoks should justify this.

4.) As far as individual ships go, I feel like the MAC weaponry embodies this too.
  • D4RKST0RM99 likes this

#112 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:32 PM

We're not going to be able to create a truly mobile starbase until we move to Rebellion.

#113 mhdalyn

mhdalyn

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 37 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:49 PM

I had figured as much, since the vanilla game doesn't add it until rebellion, along with Titans and various other things. I always felt that moving around within a gravity well still makes it significantly more useful than a stationary starbase, unless you spec the sitter out for strike craft capacities.

#114 D4RKST0RM99

D4RKST0RM99

There's a DarkStorm coming Mr. Canadaman...

• Authorized Playtester
  • 961 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:19 PM

In response to the Nova bomb idea, perhaps the Novalith cannon can be used as its launcher, when that thing hits its target it looks like a plannet cracker

#115 Dianno5741

Dianno5741

Chief Petty Officer

• Members
  • 581 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:54 PM

Tell you what ill swing the ship by that "novalith cannon" and boot you out the airlock door. then you can tell me whether or not the NOVA FITS INTO IT.
  • Unikraken, Defender0, SternuS and 1 other like this

bDNWw7L.png

#116 damn_tall_marine

damn_tall_marine

You killed the Chief! You bastards!

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:54 PM

Tell you what ill swing the ship by that "novalith cannon" and boot you out the airlock door. then you can tell me whether or not the NOVA FITS INTO IT.

Since you came up with the idea sir, does that mean you are the volunteer? Cause that's very brave of you indeed sir.
  • sloosecannon likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)