• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#81 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:25 PM

That would be a run the f*** away moment!
"Japan received freedom so hard it was atomizing." -VDNKh
Spoiler

#82 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:27 PM

Depends on the person, but yeah, most people would go "fuck yo couch" and get the hell away from a fleet like that

#83 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:37 PM

Unless I had 16 Orions and a whole whack of support... I would run
"Japan received freedom so hard it was atomizing." -VDNKh
Spoiler

#84 Bornstellaris

Bornstellaris

The Winter Soldier

• Mod Staff
  • 1,533 posts
  • Steam:Bornstellaris
  • LocationCivil War

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:37 PM

It would entail fear if you didn't know it was coming or you knew it was coming and you couldn't do jack to stop it.
  • m468 likes this

"But I knew him" 

- Bucky Barnes

Spoiler

#85 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • Steam:Unikraken
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:06 PM

What if we had an ability called something like "Well Supplied" that buffs ships in an area around the starbase, not the whole grav well mind you, that buffed ships for something like 10 minutes. So they would amass at a starbase, get the buff, then launch an assault on a nearby planet. Buffs would be something like a cooldown bonus or something.
  • Centurian128 likes this

[10:46:02 PM] VDNKh: Piercing Lance
[10:46:11 PM] VDNKh: fitting name for the ship that just fucked me

"Unikraken can soothe any nasties."

#86 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:09 PM

What if we had an ability called something like "Well Supplied" that buffs ships in an area around the starbase, not the whole grav well mind you, that buffed ships for something like 10 minutes. So they would amass at a starbase, get the buff, then launch an assault on a nearby planet. Buffs would be something like a cooldown bonus or something.

This is a really good idea, but i think it should last for a smaller amount of time, maybe somewhere between 1 to 2 minutes, simply due to the fast paced nature of the battles in the mod.

#87 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:14 PM

BUT...traveling takes a long time.

#88 Emberblaque

Emberblaque

Commander

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,356 posts
  • LocationThonotosassa, FL

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:17 PM

FYI I'm pretty sure that the Athens already has a passive ability called "Well Supplied."

#89 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:29 PM

FYI I'm pretty sure that the Athens already has a passive ability called "Well Supplied."

well rename it then... :P
  • Unikraken likes this
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#90 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:37 PM

well rename it then... :P

Yeah captain buzzkill!!!!!
  • Emberblaque likes this

#91 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:38 PM

Its the orion, but it is called "well supplied"

BUT...traveling takes a long time.

Understandable, how about somewhere in between?

#92 Zero

Zero

HHF Lead Dev

• Contributor
  • 1,808 posts
  • LocationKent, Washington, USA

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:39 AM

If you have two assault carriers and attack from two fronts, 16 Orions won't be worth a damn when they're defending one planet and not the other. ;) Smart Covenant players stay outside the SMAC range, though, and use the supercruiser to snipe them.
  • Unikraken likes this

qqpudUa.gif

Spoiler

Spoiler

#93 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • Steam:KhevaKins
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:13 AM

Yes. I use them for defense in a gravity well while amassing forces. They screw everything up. But tag teaming them...

Sweet jesus that is Over 9000 type shizen right there. I am TRYING to spam them... 16... just to see a black-hole be created in space time at their awesomeness. But it is hard, their price and research is really well implemented to stop that kin of thing.... and to stop black-holes.
Spoiler

led203_crashed_0.pngled203.jpg

#94 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:43 AM

Yes. I use them for defense in a gravity well while amassing forces. They screw everything up. But tag teaming them...

Sweet jesus that is Over 9000 type shizen right there. I am TRYING to spam them... 16... just to see a black-hole be created in space time at their awesomeness. But it is hard, their price and research is really well implemented to stop that kin of thing.... and to stop black-holes.

LIke ive said previously, anyone who thinks the orion is OP has not spammed them. It takes hours of saving up resources, doing research, and then building them, to do it effectively. And at that point, you might as well build a few athens, since the strikecraft have longer effective range and wreck Assault Carriers if there are enough of them.

#95 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:12 AM

If you have two assault carriers and attack from two fronts, 16 Orions won't be worth a damn when they're defending one planet and not the other. ;) Smart Covenant players stay outside the SMAC range, though, and use the supercruiser to snipe them.

This is where its at. Read Art of War. You don't attack your enemy at their strongest point, you distract them from the front and then cut their throat from behind.

#96 chiefship

chiefship

Petty Officer First Class

• Members
  • 407 posts
  • LocationLand of the wörk. wörk wörk wörk

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:18 AM

but how do you want to make the cov. starbase able to jump from system to system?
I tought this was only possible in rebellion.
Otherwise sounds everything what you say about the cov. gameplay mechanics excactly like my way to play(always building a big fleet and getting as much planets as possible at the beginning and only on fortressworls/homeworld real defens systems). :)

My face during the Germany:Brazil game 2014

Spoiler

#97 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:26 AM

but how do you want to make the cov. starbase able to jump from system to system?
I tought this was only possible in rebellion.
Otherwise sounds everything what you say about the cov. gameplay mechanics excactly like my way to play(always building a big fleet and getting as much planets as possible at the beginning and only on fortressworls/homeworld real defens systems). :)

The concept of a covenant "fortress world" would actually be a defense fleet more than anything. Remember, the covenant is the rush faction, they need to focus on ship research and setting up shipyards to pump out ships, both for offensive and defensive purposes. Due to the mobility of the covenant, only 2 or 3 defensive fleets are needed, mainly at your borders, while most likely you would have only one true offensive fleet, going around and wiping out UNSC forces.

As a side note, if i start to sound like Uni, this is intentional, we share similar thoughts on how the covenant generally work.
  • Unikraken likes this

#98 chiefship

chiefship

• Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:06 AM

with fortress world i normally talk about a world with a lot of smacs, alot of factorys, mines and a starbase. only prob is that such a world always cost alot of recources, so i normally build such world only in the late game.
so this is my version when i play as unsc, cause i have no concept for a fortress world as cov. ( what a suprise, i know. :) ) but the concept with 2 or 3 defense fleets sounds really good, because i'm not a big fan of building alot defense systems into the orbit(takes to much time)

Spoiler

#99 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:12 AM

with fortress world i normally talk about a world with a lot of smacs, alot of factorys, mines and a starbase. only prob is that such a world always cost alot of recources, so i normally build such world only in the late game.
so this is my version when i play as unsc, cause i have no concept for a fortress world as cov. ( what a suprise, i know. :) ) but the concept with 2 or 3 defense fleets sounds really good, because i'm not a big fan of building alot defense systems into the orbit(takes to much time)

Keep in mind also that the covenant, overall, will have faster slipspace travel speed, as per canon. Also, the covenant will be getting something similar to the vasari phase stabilizer, so if you have an array of these, fleets can have nearly immediate response times to an attack

#100 chiefship

chiefship

• Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:33 AM

thanks for the tip, now i can think about some concepts how i will play as the cov. until they are realesed, maybe i will simple use my vasari tactics for the cov..
omg can't wait for the cov. !

Spoiler

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users