Make a Campaign

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 TheOtherXtremeRoflcopter

TheOtherXtremeRoflcopter

Petty Officer Third Class

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationTrapped in my computer, please send help!

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:12 AM

I know what everyone is going to say "You can't make a campaign in SOASE" well to those people I say think again! What the mod team could do is create a series of maps each with their own description that are meant to played a certain order in a certain way against enemies (covenant or forerunner). While I know it isn't exactly a real campaign it does however sound nice because out of everything I wanted from SOASE that I never got was a campaign. Also this helps you work through a story somewhat.

I understand that the mod already has some maps that are meant to play out along the halo universes story. However this idea calls for a much more linear approach, rather than making just maps that have large spaces to play out a battle with each planet being specifically named (such as the reach map where one player who would naturally be UNSC has Reach and the other having a different planet whos name escapes me). Some "missions" would be small maps that allow for you to get in quickly as though you were responding to an imminent emergency. While other maps were bigger and allowed to take that classic build up and steam roll them approach.

Also if the mod team does accept this and tries to make a campaign of sorts I would love to help writing the story or leading the writing team (since I know you guys have a lot to worry about already especially Uni) for it and planning out the individual maps, preferably I would start at the beginning of human-covenant war and build it up all the to the battle for earth using canonical events in the halo games and the books as well as comics. If that was well received I would proceed from there to making one for the events after Earth that would be more about fanfiction and what not (odds are by that time the forerunners when and if the devs decide to work on them would be underway and useable as fanfiction campaign involving the UNSC and Covenant and forerunners fighting one another.)
  • Unikraken and tothe like this
"When I joined the Corps, we didn't have any fancy-schmanzy tanks. We had sticks! Two sticks, and a rock for the whole platoon—and we had to share the rock! Buck up, boy, you are one very lucky marine!" - Sergeant Avery Johnson.

#2 spartan-G257

spartan-G257

Gamma Company Recruit

• Contributor
  • 234 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:18 AM

Yeah I never got why there was never a campaign in SoaSE
UNSC been beating the covies since 2525
Closed Beta Testing HHF
Hail the Commonwealth of Nations and long live the Queen
Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 TheOtherXtremeRoflcopter

TheOtherXtremeRoflcopter

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:09 AM

Yeah I never got why there was never a campaign in SoaSE

Regardless though, it could be something that is fixed by the modding team namely by Norman who I believe knows how to make the custom maps and shit.
"When I joined the Corps, we didn't have any fancy-schmanzy tanks. We had sticks! Two sticks, and a rock for the whole platoon—and we had to share the rock! Buck up, boy, you are one very lucky marine!" - Sergeant Avery Johnson.

#4 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • Steam:Unikraken
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:43 AM

I like this idea.

[10:46:02 PM] VDNKh: Piercing Lance
[10:46:11 PM] VDNKh: fitting name for the ship that just fucked me

"Unikraken can soothe any nasties."

#5 TheOtherXtremeRoflcopter

TheOtherXtremeRoflcopter

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:23 AM

I like this idea.

I could pitch a few mission ideas to you guys if you like.

#6 Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Necromancer Supreme, agig did 9/11 2015

• Authorized Playtester
  • 1,723 posts
  • Steam:Fleet Admiral agigabyte
  • LocationUNSC Skrubtester

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:43 AM

me to
WE WILL RIP THEIR SKULLS FROM THEIR SPINES, AND TOSS THEM AWAY, LAUGHIN'!

Oh, I know what the ladies like... -Sarge Johnson

God have mercy on whatever alien race discovers this forum long after the human race destroys itself -Crisiss

Quotes from anywhere
Spoiler
[/quote]

#7 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:06 AM

Go ahead and pitch here. Talking to me on steam about anything you want remembered is folly at best these days. Baby prep takes all my memory.

#8 Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Fleet Admiral agigabyte

• Authorized Playtester
  • 1,723 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:44 AM

Mission 3, 4, or 5. UNSC Valiant class (insert name) And a mid sized fleet must battle a covenant super destroyer on the other end of the system. You start with wormhole navigation and a fleet, you have no colony ship but you can try to get a small fleet with a Halcyon refit through to capture covenant ships. there are only 10 covie ships throughout the main system plus 5 in the small fleet system.

God have mercy on whatever alien race discovers this forum long after the human race destroys itself -Crisiss

Quotes from anywhere
Spoiler
[/quote]

#9 TheOtherXtremeRoflcopter

TheOtherXtremeRoflcopter

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:55 AM

Alright for first mission I was looking at being of a learning curve mission. Assuming this is made prior to the Covenant release (doubtful but assuming it is), it would be more of a smaller map where it features you as a UNSC player who is tasked with guarding a collection of planets in Eridanus that is suspected of being the target of an insurrectionist. Your goal would be to mobilize a defense and then locate and destroy the Insurrectionist fleet and subdue whatever planet (or asteroid) they have used to call their home. The map would contain roughly 15 grav wells and allow for the player to grasp the basics of gameplay in the mod while allowing them to still get right into the action.

Next mission I was thinking of (if the Covenant have been released by now) is that the player could be either the covenant or unsc and they each have their respective starting worlds.There are few planets in this map, However, the covenant are closer to the planet Harvest and it is up to the UNSC to scramble a battle group and get to harvest to secure its resources and use it as a staging point to drive the Covenant back. If the player choses to be the covenant then it is their mission to take harvest and continue to push into the unsc space eliminating their worlds until they have secured a forward base for the following covenant forces.

From here depending on whether or not covenant are released by the time the work for the campaign begins I would make a series of "missions" where you have to either defeat the insurrection, or fight a series of missions against the covenant that while they do accomplish short term goals all they really do is buy humanity time so they can keep retreating towards earth until the battle is fought there.

#10 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:04 PM

Mission 3, 4, or 5. UNSC Valiant class (insert name) And a mid sized fleet must battle a covenant super destroyer on the other end of the system. You start with wormhole navigation and a fleet, you have no colony ship but you can try to get a small fleet with a Halcyon refit through to capture covenant ships. there are only 10 covie ships throughout the main system plus 5 in the small fleet system.

You would have to have a planet, so you could build colony ships. Maybe ideas for this kind of thing should only be thrown out by folks who understand how SoaSE works?

#11 TheOtherXtremeRoflcopter

TheOtherXtremeRoflcopter

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:16 PM

You would have to have a planet, so you could build colony ships. Maybe ideas for this kind of thing should only be thrown out by folks who understand how SoaSE works?

As much as I enjoy agigabytes enthusiasm I have to agree with Uni.

#12 Rovert10

Rovert10

Balance Team

• Mod Staff
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:33 PM

I am going to be the Debbie Downer here and going to say using a series of custom maps is only gonna get you so far.

1. Galaxy Forge's event system was never completed by Ironclad nor Stardock, so we can't have triggers in the game. At least to my knowledge.
2. You always have to start out from a planet. I don't think it's possible to to start out with a custom fleet. Someone correct me on this though but I believe it can't be done. At least from custom maps. Sure you can give yourself a ton of starting planets and maybe artifacts and bonuses but that's all you're really going to get for scenario setting.

Sure it's a series of maps but to me it'll just feel just that. A series of maps. There really isn't anything too special in my opinion. There's nothing there that makes a campaign a campaign. There's no dialouge, cutscenes, or even a mission/plot setting to guide you through the motions. It is essentially have a scenario and do whatever. SoaSE inherently lacks that ability to create any sort of continuity. This would break the immersion entirely for the story if I was trying to play a story setting especially for another universe like Halo.

While I won't say it's impossible but I was never a big time supporter of having the campaign mode in SoaSE in the first place unless it was really lore heavy that expanded the universe. Games like SoaSE to me are more of "build your own story" type of games within the universe. Unless the campaign is there to heavily expand on the universe and your field of play, I am not really interested. Unless it was actually a good story that could be conveyed in a thoughtful and immersive manner which probably isn't possible with even Rebellion.

#13 ShadowOfIntent

ShadowOfIntent

The Master Janitor

• Members
  • 182 posts
  • LocationYou don't feel the breathing on your neck?

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:34 PM

Mission: Take a newly-found shield world from the Covenant, using New Constantinople as a forward command post. There would be 2 stars, with the shield world being in the other star. In your starting star would be 5 planets, 3 asteroids, and 2 asteroid belts. In the shield world star would be 4 planets, with at least one full-fledged Covenant colony(Covenant home planet) acting as a barrier before reaching the shield world.
Spoiler

#14 TheOtherXtremeRoflcopter

TheOtherXtremeRoflcopter

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:37 PM

Mission: Take a newly-found shield world from the Covenant, using New Constantinople as a forward command post. There would be 2 stars, with the shield world being in the other star. In your starting star would be 5 planets, 3 asteroids, and 2 asteroid belts. In the shield world star would be 4 planets, with at least one full-fledged Covenant colony(Covenant home planet) acting as a barrier before reaching the shield world.

I am thinking more or less trying to be canon man. Humanity didn't have any real experience with shield worlds during the covenant war. (could argue onyx but just about nobody knew about that planet)

#15 Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Fleet Admiral agigabyte

• Authorized Playtester
  • 1,723 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:31 PM

I was thinking of how the vasari do not need a planet so if the starbases are mobile you could have a gamma station.

Quotes from anywhere
Spoiler
[/quote]

#16 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:32 PM

I was thinking of how the vasari do not need a planet so if the starbases are mobile you could have a gamma station.

Gamma Station is the second UNSC station, its concept at the moment.

#17 Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Fleet Admiral agigabyte

• Authorized Playtester
  • 1,723 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:05 PM

Or the planet in my mission could be a dead asteroid with no building slots except for a ton of mining facilities.

Quotes from anywhere
Spoiler
[/quote]

#18 Emberblaque

Emberblaque

Commander

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,356 posts
  • LocationThonotosassa, FL

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:09 PM

You start with wormhole navigation

We can't make you start with any research unlocked, we can only make you start with planet modules like labs.

1. Galaxy Forge's event system was never completed by Ironclad nor Stardock, so we can't have triggers in the game. At least to my knowledge.

Event system? Can you elaborate upon this?

I don't think it's possible to to start out with a custom fleet.

In Galaxy Forge you can add planet modules, ships, starbases, and artifacts as planet items to a planet.

#19 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:45 PM

Wonder if we can replace the tutorials... now that's a thought.

Anyways... A new version of SOA2 came out a few days ago, so I am pretty sure we'll fimd some sort of awesome entity hacking to do this...
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#20 Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Fleet Admiral agigabyte

• Authorized Playtester
  • 1,723 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:48 PM

We can't make you start with any research unlocked, we can only make you start with planet modules like labs.

I ment the artifact.

Quotes from anywhere
Spoiler
[/quote]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users