Make a Campaign

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#21 TheOtherXtremeRoflcopter

TheOtherXtremeRoflcopter

Petty Officer Third Class

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationTrapped in my computer, please send help!

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:49 PM

Just out of curiosity is that a yes or no for making a Campaign?
"When I joined the Corps, we didn't have any fancy-schmanzy tanks. We had sticks! Two sticks, and a rock for the whole platoon—and we had to share the rock! Buck up, boy, you are one very lucky marine!" - Sergeant Avery Johnson.

#22 Emberblaque

Emberblaque

Commander

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,356 posts
  • LocationThonotosassa, FL

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:16 PM

Wonder if we can replace the tutorials... now that's a thought.

I brought that up long ago and was essentially told that if it was possible it would've happened by now. I don't certainly know if it's possible or impossible.

I ment the artifact.

Gotcha, my bad.

Just out of curiosity is that a yes or no for making a Campaign?

I would say it warrants further discussion.

#23 mhdalyn

mhdalyn

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 37 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:51 PM

You could design these "mission maps" to start out with the "Flagship" victory condition on in Rebellion. That would allow for the Valiant & Super Destroyer concept to start. And design a map with the "Relic Planet" (or whatever it is) victory condition.
But I kinda felt that the different maps already achieved this with the fall of reach and state of war and such.

#24 TheOtherXtremeRoflcopter

TheOtherXtremeRoflcopter

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:54 PM

You could design these "mission maps" to start out with the "Flagship" victory condition on in Rebellion. That would allow for the Valiant & Super Destroyer concept to start. And design a map with the "Relic Planet" (or whatever it is) victory condition.
But I kinda felt that the different maps already achieved this with the fall of reach and state of war and such.

problem with those maps was the 100+ stars they had...
"When I joined the Corps, we didn't have any fancy-schmanzy tanks. We had sticks! Two sticks, and a rock for the whole platoon—and we had to share the rock! Buck up, boy, you are one very lucky marine!" - Sergeant Avery Johnson.

#25 mhdalyn

mhdalyn

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 37 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:55 PM

Fall of Reach didn't. State of war is a clusterfuck of confusion though, I agree.

#26 Emberblaque

Emberblaque

Commander

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:26 PM

Fall of Reach didn't. State of war is a clusterfuck of confusion though, I agree.

I hear this a lot. Is it because there are so many stars, or because they're too close together? I've made maps where the distances between planets and stars are closer to realistic scale.

#27 CanadaMan7

CanadaMan7

Commander-in-Chief

• Administrators
  • 1,247 posts
  • LocationCharleston, SC

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:28 PM

The tutorial maps are included as part of the core .exe file so you'd have to reverse engineer it to modify them. Not an option, unfortunately.

As for custom maps, Ironclad didn't give us much to work with. Though custom starting fleets and custom planets are certainly possible, they unfortunately didn't include an option to lock a player's spawning location. That means that even in a 1vs1 map that you won't be in the intended starting planet 50% of the time.

yLM4TEk.png

#28 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:30 PM

I say for state of the war make some maps based of sections of it that way you can get a similar experience just that you are the admiral in charge of that sector... And in my opinion State of the war ain't all that confusing... It just takes for ever...
  • mhdalyn likes this
"Japan received freedom so hard it was atomizing." -VDNKh
Spoiler

#29 mhdalyn

mhdalyn

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 37 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:34 PM

I feel like there are too many stars and too few planets attached to each. It's not confusing once you get things going, but takes a lot to get used to.

#30 psdt

psdt

Crewman

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • LocationNM

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:07 PM

It would be interesting to have a campaign that culminates in the battle of reach. Since it was the largest engagement of the war. i dont know if that would fit within your timeline though

#31 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:32 PM

The tutorial maps are included as part of the core .exe file so you'd have to reverse engineer it to modify them. Not an option, unfortunately.

As for custom maps, Ironclad didn't give us much to work with. Though custom starting fleets and custom planets are certainly possible, they unfortunately didn't include an option to lock a player's spawning location. That means that even in a 1vs1 map that you won't be in the intended starting planet 50% of the time.

Not so sure about that.
SOA has a set starting location... I thought some SOGE maps did too
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#32 TheOtherXtremeRoflcopter

TheOtherXtremeRoflcopter

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:55 PM

Could the levels be made so that way you are not exactly meant to start at that particular planet but rather in the general area and overall are assigned to defend it?

#33 Emberblaque

Emberblaque

Commander

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:03 PM

Could the levels be made so that way you are not exactly meant to start at that particular planet but rather in the general area and overall are assigned to defend it?

There have to be at least two homeworlds, one for you one for your opponent. There will always be some probability that you'll spawn at the opponent's intended homeworld, even as the number of homeworlds becomes large for either player.

#34 TheOtherXtremeRoflcopter

TheOtherXtremeRoflcopter

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:25 PM

There have to be at least two homeworlds, one for you one for your opponent. There will always be some probability that you'll spawn at the opponent's intended homeworld, even as the number of homeworlds becomes large for either player.

There has to be something that can be done. anything

#35 Emberblaque

Emberblaque

Commander

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:38 PM

There has to be something that can be done. anything

http://en.wikipedia....ishful_thinking
  • Unikraken and Bornstellaris like this

#36 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:00 PM

Spawns can be set - look at SOGE or SOA's Fortune Favors the Bold. How to do it? No idea. But it can be done
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#37 Normon

Normon

High Commander of the Fleet of Unholy Fire

• Inactive Staff
  • 432 posts
  • LocationThe cartographer.

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:42 PM

Regardless though, it could be something that is fixed by the modding team namely by Norman who I believe knows how to make the custom maps and shit.

Yeah, that's me. Making a makeshift campaign is definitely something to look into...eventually.

Screw it, lets just make our own game.
  • Emberblaque and TheOtherXtremeRoflcopter like this
Signature? Quotes? Images? Nonsense! Actually, cool quotes are cool. - Me
Primus successus aut totus error. - EOD

#38 TheOtherXtremeRoflcopter

TheOtherXtremeRoflcopter

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:57 PM

Yeah, that's me. Making a makeshift campaign is definitely something to look into...eventually.

Screw it, lets just make our own game.

ambition is always good to have

#39 TheOtherXtremeRoflcopter

TheOtherXtremeRoflcopter

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:11 AM

Spawns can be set - look at SOGE or SOA's Fortune Favors the Bold. How to do it? No idea. But it can be done

If that is so then you can set the spawns to start you with a minor fleet at an unclaimed world and set it up as a base.

#40 CanadaMan7

CanadaMan7

Commander-in-Chief

• Administrators
  • 1,247 posts
  • LocationCharleston, SC

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:21 AM

Okay, did some more research and found out some things:
1) Since I last checked the functionality some 3 or 4 years ago, they've updated Galaxy Forge and allowed for team specific spawning (follows the numbering system)
2) We can actually update existing maps to turn off randomized spawning now.

This kind of opens the door for us a bit, actually.

yLM4TEk.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users