• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 Moustachio86

Moustachio86

UniMinion

• Contributor
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:28 PM

I still wish they would add moons, extra benefits all round.

Dwarf planets were originally called moons in the Rebellion betas. I guess they changed it for obvious reasons but it was still quite cool.

#22 XtremeRoflcopter

XtremeRoflcopter

Petty Officer Second Class

• Contributor
  • 387 posts
  • LocationWorking the till at the Bank of Rofl handing out loans to all the noobs.

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:04 PM

Well there are shattered moons now.... Although after spending like 2 hours in a Huge multi-star map... all I can say is that the Stellar Phenomenae are very rare.... like so rare that it sorta feels like I wasted money on the DLC, sure the Antimatter Wells, and shattered moons look nice but I really only saw one random occurence when I controlled an entire star system and half of a second one, it was rather lame. If this was to be ported to the mod the rate of the phenomena occurrences would need to be increased. 

It's easier to work on a map if a lot of Rum is involved...

#23 CanadaMan7

CanadaMan7

Commander-in-Chief

• Administrators
  • 1,247 posts
  • LocationCharleston, SC

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:47 PM

If this was to be ported to the mod the rate of the phenomena occurrences would need to be increased. 

The entire point of them is that they're rare. I don't want to throw in too many random events and craziness or you're going to be contending with the environment rather than the enemy.

• Emberblaque and Lavo like this

yLM4TEk.png

#24 XtremeRoflcopter

XtremeRoflcopter

• Contributor
  • 387 posts
  • LocationWorking the till at the Bank of Rofl handing out loans to all the noobs.

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:03 PM

The entire point of them is that they're rare. I don't want to throw in too many random events and craziness or you're going to be contending with the environment rather than the enemy.

Canadaman... I have seen like maybe 3 rare occurrences in a 3 1/2 hour long game. With the rate this mods gameplay moves at, you will have to increase the rate a bit to make them common enough to have an effect on the gameplay. Also with new planet type "Ship Graveyard" I noticed it didn't have any bonuses like increasing ship production speeds. May wanna look into it giving such a boost. 

#25 XtremeRoflcopter

XtremeRoflcopter

• Contributor
  • 387 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:43 PM

Also the whole Titan spawning thing? May be able to use that for the flood.

#26 WarthogRacingMan3

WarthogRacingMan3

Mr. Warthog Racing Man

• Authorized Playtester
  • 387 posts
  • LocationWaukegan, Ilinois, United Republic of North America

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:31 PM

Also the whole Titan spawning thing? May be able to use that for the flood.

Based on the Flood video... don't you think they are already crazy powerful?  

• Defender0 likes this

The Warthog Racing Man the Third

Posted Image

Desolation comes upon the sky

Now I see fire

#27 XtremeRoflcopter

XtremeRoflcopter

• Contributor
  • 387 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:57 PM

Based on the Flood video... don't you think they are already crazy powerful?  

Yes but sadly giving them that ability to come out at the edges of the map is far too logical in the canon to ignore don't you think? I'm not saying an entire armada's worth of flood spores need to show up, just that the flood would appear in piecemeal tendrils... like the sparks that could ignite a great fire if they are not immediately put out.

#28 Moustachio86

Moustachio86

UniMinion

• Contributor
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:56 AM

You referring to the:

Spoiler

But yeah, with the pace of the mod, a boost to the rate of events would be handy.
I don't see it as a waste of money, I can spend £4 on lunch that will last me half an hour. Or I can spend it on supporting a rather impressive game developer so they make more. It's not bullet-proof logic but it kinda works.
  • Emberblaque likes this

#29 XtremeRoflcopter

XtremeRoflcopter

• Contributor
  • 387 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:09 AM

I still wish they would add moons, extra benefits all round.

Maybe they could add a different type of asteroid... or a planet type that has moons instead of asteroids where the moons are much richer in metal and crystal than a simple asteroid. 

#30 WarthogRacingMan3

WarthogRacingMan3

Mr. Warthog Racing Man

• Authorized Playtester
  • 387 posts
  • LocationWaukegan, Ilinois, United Republic of North America

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:56 PM

Yes but sadly giving them that ability to come out at the edges of the map is far too logical in the canon to ignore don't you think? I'm not saying an entire armada's worth of flood spores need to show up, just that the flood would appear in piecemeal tendrils... like the sparks that could ignite a great fire if they are not immediately put out.

I suppose... but lets not give them a titan? 

The Warthog Racing Man the Third

Posted Image

Desolation comes upon the sky

Now I see fire

#31 Antigeist

Antigeist

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:10 PM

I suppose... but lets not give them a titan? 

I'm just thinking of when the infected Covenant ship crashes on Earth in Halo 3. Give them the ability to spawn a couple infected ships here and there, if it's possible, just to sow some chaos. Forces you to keep defenses or reserve ships, but nothing drastic enough to totally screw you over if your main fleet is on the other side of the map.

• Moustachio86 likes this

#32 Moustachio86

Moustachio86

UniMinion

• Contributor
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:37 PM

I'm just thinking of when the infected Covenant ship crashes on Earth in Halo 3. Give them the ability to spawn a couple infected ships here and there, if it's possible, just to sow some chaos. Forces you to keep defenses or reserve ships, but nothing drastic enough to totally screw you over if your main fleet is on the other side of the map.

That was what the original infection research did, and it was dramatically unpopular. That said, I fully agree with you. It just needs some thought to balance it.

#33 Antigeist

Antigeist

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:53 PM

That was what the original infection research did, and it was dramatically unpopular. That said, I fully agree with you. It just needs some thought to balance it.

Ah, that's right. I don't think I ever experienced that before it was removed.

#34 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:22 PM

Ah, that's right. I don't think I ever experienced that before it was removed.

consider yourself unscarred

#35 XtremeRoflcopter

XtremeRoflcopter

• Contributor
  • 387 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:45 PM

consider yourself unscarred

Oh c'mon it wasn't THAT bad. It was really just something that would severely fuck you over if you didn't have any preparations for it.

Although I believe an alert for the Flood spawning as a random should be made. (Y'know similar to when someone is making a titan or a super weapon)

#36 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:01 PM

Although I believe an alert for the Flood spawning as a random should be made. (Y'know similar to when someone is making a titan or a super weapon)

Yeah, cause we can totally do evil bit-level-hacking to enable stuff right?

:P

in all seriousness, if we have it be a random event, I believe there's an ingame notification. If not, there's nothing we can do about that because... hardcoding...

#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#37 Moustachio86

Moustachio86

UniMinion

• Contributor
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:59 AM

Hey, if Jenkins and Keyes didn't get a warning that their lives were about to be ruined by those slimed bastards then why should we?
  • Emberblaque and sloosecannon like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users