• Please log in to reply
186 replies to this topic

#141 Aunt Gruntie

Aunt Gruntie

Sterilized Food Nipples!

• Contributor
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 12:27 PM

I always boiled the term hardlight down to just video game logic. If you take sci fi stuff like this to seriously it can detract from the actual universe your trying to immerse yourself in. So basically what Rovert said.

Help me Sergeant I'm lost in Kurfluffle land!

#142 Emberblaque

Emberblaque

Commander

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,356 posts
  • LocationThonotosassa, FL

Posted 28 November 2013 - 01:15 PM

I have a cool explanation for hard light:

Super dense, room temperature plasma.

@Moustachio Even if photons somehow acquired mass, their quantum spin would have to be different, a half-integer rather than an integer, for them to adopt the characteristics of fermionic matter, i.e. to occupy volume. And then they wouldn't be photons anymore, because that's one of the things that makes it a photon.

• Bornstellaris likes this

#143 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 01:18 PM

Why are we debating hardlight in a spartan laser ship thread? I sense a new thread in the making

#144 insaene

insaene

Master of the Insane(You! Yeah YOU!!)

• Contributor
  • 645 posts
  • LocationIn your mind, eating your sanity

Posted 29 November 2013 - 01:53 AM

Hardlight could be some other stuff.

Kinda like a fluid or a gas that hardens when it is shined on (through / damn.. my english is awkward..) by a specific wave length light.

Dwarf.png

It takes a dwarf to use magma for snow shoveling

Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones

#145 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 03:23 PM

Hardlight could be some other stuff.
Kinda like a fluid or a gas that hardens when it is shined on (through / damn.. my english is awkward..) by a specific wave length light.

Hense why ember suggested what is called as "cold plasma" i.e. room temperature plasma.
  • Emberblaque likes this
"Japan received freedom so hard it was atomizing." -VDNKh
Spoiler

#146 insaene

insaene

• Contributor
  • 645 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 06:49 AM

So.. I'll take that we never get a Splaser ship?

Dwarf.png

Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones

#147 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 11:26 AM

Nope won't work in the UNSC design we have.
"Japan received freedom so hard it was atomizing." -VDNKh
Spoiler

#148 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 24 November 2014 - 11:45 AM

We already have one. It's called the ONI Sloop.

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear - Marcus Aurelius

Spoiler

Spoiler

#149 Azo 'Salcam

Azo 'Salcam

Crewman

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • LocationLooking for Forerunner artifacts...

Posted 24 November 2014 - 04:22 PM

@WHRM3 Humanity didn't even have lasers during that time frame. The only "lasers" they had were the horribly armored ONI Prowler, and even then that system was experimental.

And then that shoulder mounted Spartan Laser. Which took too long to fire as it was; and that "Pelican"-Hind Gunship" in Halo 4. So giving a ship a weapon that charges up too long, means that the blooming thing would be space dust before it could fire, en mass attack or not.

Thats like asking who will fire first: A weapon that fires upon squeeze of the trigger, or a weapon that has to be spooled up first? Trigger squeeze wins. So the other UNSC weapons fire quicker and the covenant shoot faster anyway, and have longer range.

Spoiler

Spoilered that gif for ya... -Sloose

#150 MrChipps

MrChipps

Having a beer with Colonel Jack O'Neill

• Contributor
  • 789 posts
  • LocationThe Commonwealth wasteland

Posted 25 November 2014 - 05:26 AM

@WHRM3 Humanity didn't even have lasers during that time frame. The only "lasers" they had were the horribly armored ONI Prowler, and even then that system was experimental.
And then that shoulder mounted Spartan Laser. Which took too long to fire as it was; and that "Pelican"-Hind Gunship" in Halo 4. So giving a ship a weapon that charges up too long, means that the blooming thing would be space dust before it could fire, en mass attack or not.
Thats like asking who will fire first: A weapon that fires upon squeeze of the trigger, or a weapon that has to be spooled up first? Trigger squeeze wins. So the other UNSC weapons fire quicker and the covenant shoot faster anyway, and have longer range.

Ehem, MACs have a recharge rate of several minutes and requires to be powered up before the first shot. Plasma torps have to collect the plasma before launching, energy projectors need to spool up before shooting and drains massive ammounts of power.

A few seconds of splaser-spooling is not a problem.

This mod takes place anywhere from the height of the war to post-war, It's whatever you want it to be.

Personally I think DEWs for UNSC ships is the next natural step since they are way more effective against shields than macs. Don't tell me the UNSC does not know how to make dews. Cortana has had several extensive looks under the hood of covenant capital ships, she even improved upon them and all before the events of Halo 2.

• Crisiss likes this
Sweden can into gender!

#151 insaene

insaene

• Contributor
  • 645 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 06:20 AM

Don't forget that a MAC round needs more time to travel to a certain point while a laser is light. (There is no faster thing than light)

While a MAC round could miss the target a laser won't.

• MrChipps likes this

Dwarf.png

#152 MrChipps

MrChipps

• Contributor
  • 789 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 06:24 AM

Don't forget that a MAC round needs more time to travel to a certain point while a laser is light. (There is no faster thing than light)

While a MAC round could miss the target a laser won't.

Indeed, another point well made for the positive sides of laser use sir *twirls mustache*

Sweden can into gender!

#153 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:32 AM

Ehem, MACs have a recharge rate of several minutes and requires to be powered up before the first shot. Plasma torps have to collect the plasma before launching, energy projectors need to spool up before shooting and drains massive ammounts of power.

A few seconds of splaser-spooling is not a problem.

This mod takes place anywhere from the height of the war to post-war, It's whatever you want it to be.

Personally I think DEWs for UNSC ships is the next natural step since they are way more effective against shields than macs. Don't tell me the UNSC does not know how to make dews. Cortana has had several extensive looks under the hood of covenant capital ships, she even improved upon them and all before the events of Halo 2.

I like this idea but half of the ship would be a reactor since it would take absolutely MASSIVE amounts of energy for the ship to do any meaningful damage. I'm fine with the idea of the ship, but it needs to be similar to anti-structure ships from vanilla in that they are large, sluggish, and poorly armored. Big boom though. 

Conversely, I like the idea of mounting the Sahara Class Prowler with a useful DEW. Not meant to take on entire fleets in direct combat but it can knock out one or two ships out on their lonesome.

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear - Marcus Aurelius

Spoiler

Spoiler

#154 Aunt Gruntie

Aunt Gruntie

Sterilized Food Nipples!

• Contributor
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 12:53 PM

The main problem with a laser is its range would probably be far less than that of say a MAC. Lasers tend to lose focus over long distances, especially in space where distances between ships would likely be fairly large. That and laser lenses are very delicate and burn out fairly quickly. Of course we could always come up with a number of psuedo sciences to justify practically anything in the Haloverse, within reason of course. Nevermind the fact that it's probably not gonna happen as M4 said.

Help me Sergeant I'm lost in Kurfluffle land!

#155 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 26 November 2014 - 01:09 PM

The main problem with a laser is its range would probably be far less than that of say a MAC. Lasers tend to lose focus over long distances, especially in space where distances between ships would likely be fairly large. That and laser lenses are very delicate and burn out fairly quickly. Of course we could always come up with a number of psuedo sciences to justify practically anything in the Haloverse, within reason of course. Nevermind the fact that it's probably not gonna happen as M4 said.

FORERUNNER PARTICLE LENSE FOCUSING OPTICS AMIRITE

• MrChipps likes this

Spoiler

Spoiler

#156 MrChipps

MrChipps

• Contributor
  • 789 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 07:42 AM

It doesn't have to be a laser, it could be a very large plasma beam array based on Cortanas work with covenant plasma turrets.
  • Defender0 and Crisiss like this
Sweden can into gender!

#157 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 27 November 2014 - 01:17 PM

It doesn't have to be a laser, it could be a very large plasma beam array based on Cortanas work with covenant plasma turrets.

Honestly I don't think lore wise the UNSC is anywhere near experienced enough with plasma manipulation to do much with it. But then again, gameplay stoofs.

Spoiler

Spoiler

#158 MrChipps

MrChipps

• Contributor
  • 789 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 05:41 PM

Honestly I don't think lore wise the UNSC is anywhere near experienced enough with plasma manipulation to do much with it. But then again, gameplay stoofs.

Actually, Cortana more or less handed over the blueprints of how plasma weapons work after the events of First Strike. Cortana even figured out how to improve upon them by turning torpedoes into thin beams that sliced covvie ships to pieces, just how the unsc improved on covvie shield tech. Also don't forget the prototype plasma rhinoes used in the early parts of the war.

I still believe that, after decades of frantic research during the war and a free-ticket to Trevelyan with live huragog post-war, the next natural martial evolution for the UNSC is ship borne DEWs.
Sweden can into gender!

#159 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 27 November 2014 - 05:44 PM

Actually, Cortana more or less handed over the blueprints of how plasma weapons work after the events of First Strike. Cortana even figured out how to improve upon them by turning torpedoes into thin beams that sliced covvie ships to pieces, just how the unsc improved on covvie shield tech. Also don't forget the prototype plasma rhinoes used in the early parts of the war.

I still believe that, after decades of frantic research during the war and a free-ticket to Trevelyan with live huragog post-war, the next natural martial evolution for the UNSC is ship borne DEWs.

>huragog

Yeah, agreed. That seems to be what 343i was going for with the end of the Broadsword segment in Halo 4 with the Infinity firing it's main weapon, whatever we decide to call it.

I would love for the UNSC to get DEWs as very late tech weapons but like M4 said it will probably never end up happening :(

Spoiler

Spoiler

#160 D4RKST0RM99

D4RKST0RM99

There's a DarkStorm coming Mr. Canadaman...

• Authorized Playtester
  • 961 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 27 November 2014 - 06:20 PM

Incase you missed it, posted a while back-

oni_fleet_by_d4rkst0rm99-d7e5c4q.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users