Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 27 November 2014 - 08:02 PM

FTFY

I know... I was quoting his post.

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear - Marcus Aurelius

Spoiler

Spoiler

#163 Lavo

Lavo

Grand Master Modder/Design Lead

• Mod Staff
  • 713 posts
  • LocationNot Uni's Basement

Posted 27 November 2014 - 11:53 PM

Even if the UNSC had access to all the blueprints needed to make plasma torpedoes/lasers/etc there still is the energy problem, which is something the UNSC has yet to solve.

#164 D4RKST0RM99

D4RKST0RM99

There's a DarkStorm coming Mr. Canadaman...

• Authorized Playtester
  • 961 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 28 November 2014 - 12:05 AM

Even if the UNSC had access to all the blueprints needed to make plasma torpedoes/lasers/etc there still is the energy problem, which is something the UNSC has yet to solve.

I suppose the spartan laser is the technological equivelent of a Covenant energy weapon to give you an idea of the evolutionary gap in tech level the spartan laser is a bulkier shoulder mounted version or the covie plasma rifle, at least in principal.

#165 Delyruin

Delyruin

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 01:17 AM

Incase you missed it, posted a while back-

oni_fleet_by_d4rkst0rm99-d7e5c4q.jpg

Holy crap those are sweet.

#166 Delyruin

Delyruin

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 01:19 AM

I suppose the spartan laser is the technological equivelent of a Covenant energy weapon to give you an idea of the evolutionary gap in tech level the spartan laser is a bulkier shoulder mounted version or the covie plasma rifle, at least in principal.

Plasma rifles can't destroy tanks, the splaser is an anti-tank weapon. So it's size seems perfectly reasonable to me.

#167 MrChipps

MrChipps

Having a beer with Colonel Jack O'Neill

• Contributor
  • 789 posts
  • LocationThe Commonwealth wasteland

Posted 28 November 2014 - 07:41 AM

They do have access to weapon AND powerplant tech from the Covenant after Cortanas little field trip aboard the covvie flagship from First Strike.
Sweden can into gender!

#168 MrChipps

MrChipps

• Contributor
  • 789 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 07:47 AM

Plasma rifles can't destroy tanks, the splaser is an anti-tank weapon. So it's size seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Not to mention that they operate on completely different principles; a small arms plasma rifle uses magnetic fields to shape and propel bolts of ionized gases, a splaser uses focusing lenses and power drawn from batteries to project a beam of harmful light.
Sweden can into gender!

#169 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 09:30 AM

The Spartan Laser is a hand held pulse laser nothing more. So it is based off of the same tech that the lowest power weapon on a Covenant Warship. Now when you scale that to a ship that would mean that while it would be very easy to hit you target it would make the weapon rather low power compared to MAC systems. Which means that simply bolting a super sized spartan laser to a ship is an incredibly bad idea, irrespective of power issues. As if you had the power capacity to use such a weapon charging a MAC would be very easy and the round would still be more effective than a high power pulse laser. That is if we want to compare it to a MAC and not the other myriad of weapons that would be possible with that kind of power generation capacity.

I typed this on my phone in the car so disregard spelling issues.
"Japan received freedom so hard it was atomizing." -VDNKh
Spoiler

#170 MrChipps

MrChipps

• Contributor
  • 789 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 12:14 PM

The Spartan Laser is a hand held pulse laser nothing more. So it is based off of the same tech that the lowest power weapon on a Covenant Warship. Now when you scale that to a ship that would mean that while it would be very easy to hit you target it would make the weapon rather low power compared to MAC systems. Which means that simply bolting a super sized spartan laser to a ship is an incredibly bad idea, irrespective of power issues. As if you had the power capacity to use such a weapon charging a MAC would be very easy and the round would still be more effective than a high power pulse laser. That is if we want to compare it to a MAC and not the other myriad of weapons that would be possible with that kind of power generation capacity.
I typed this on my phone in the car so disregard spelling issues.

Which is why we moved on to other examples such as the plasma beam turretd Cortana created when she refined regular covvie torps.
Sweden can into gender!

#171 Zero

Zero

HHF Lead Dev

• Contributor
  • 1,808 posts
  • LocationKent, Washington, USA

Posted 28 November 2014 - 03:38 PM

Lore and science aside, it would be pretty badass.

• Bornstellaris likes this

qqpudUa.gif

Spoiler

Spoiler

#172 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 28 November 2014 - 06:10 PM

You guys seem to forget that this is Halo we are talking about here... https://sinsofthepro...ge-8#entry49648

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear - Marcus Aurelius

Spoiler

Spoiler

#173 MrChipps

MrChipps

• Contributor
  • 789 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 03:26 AM

You guys seem to forget that this is Halo we are talking about here... https://sinsofthepro...ge-8#entry49648

Hell yea. If the UNSC can bolt forerunner engines, slip space drives and sensor suites to navy shipd what's to stop them from bolting weapons on.
Sweden can into gender!

#174 Aunt Gruntie

Aunt Gruntie

Sterilized Food Nipples!

• Contributor
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 08:21 AM

Hell yea. If the UNSC can bolt forerunner engines, slip space drives and sensor suites to navy shipd what's to stop them from bolting weapons on.

Not enough bolts?

Help me Sergeant I'm lost in Kurfluffle land!

#175 D4RKST0RM99

D4RKST0RM99

• Authorized Playtester
  • 961 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 29 November 2014 - 08:44 AM

What about self-sealing stem bolts?

#176 KillaBC

KillaBC

KillaBC cannot into space

• Modding Personality
  • 215 posts
  • LocationWorksop, England

Posted 29 November 2014 - 08:58 AM

What about self-sealing stem bolts?

WHAT DO THEY DO!?

STA3/ST:I Dev 

#177 D4RKST0RM99

D4RKST0RM99

• Authorized Playtester
  • 961 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 29 November 2014 - 09:04 AM

WHAT DO THEY DO!?

Bolts that self seal, ask Quark, he'll have a few cases of them to sell no doubt.

#178 KillaBC

KillaBC

KillaBC cannot into space

• Modding Personality
  • 215 posts
  • LocationWorksop, England

Posted 29 November 2014 - 09:19 AM

Bolts that self seal, ask Quark, he'll have a few cases of them to sell no doubt.

I asked O'Brien, he said he had no idea. 

STA3/ST:I Dev 

#179 D4RKST0RM99

D4RKST0RM99

• Authorized Playtester
  • 961 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 29 November 2014 - 12:21 PM

Least he wont mistake it for a warp matrix flux capacitor.

#180 insaene

insaene

Master of the Insane(You! Yeah YOU!!)

• Contributor
  • 645 posts
  • LocationIn your mind, eating your sanity

Posted 29 November 2014 - 12:55 PM

I'm pleased with my random necro *laughs*

Dwarf.png

It takes a dwarf to use magma for snow shoveling

Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users