• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#1 Rovert10

Rovert10

Balance Team

• Mod Staff
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 01:21 PM

A thread where you can debate to your heart's content of the physics or should I say pseudo-science of Halo.

• Unikraken, Bornstellaris, D4RKST0RM99 and 1 other like this

#2 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 01:29 PM

Ill just start with hardlight since people had a lot to say about it. So ill indulge in some theoretical physics for fun.

What if "hardlight" is not really "light" but supercondensed photons with enough density to have substance? Understanding of course that, at this point the photons would no longer be photons but a version of them that had mass, but that may be the case since, for example, the suppressor fires "projectiles" made of what is thought to be hardlight, which performs like a bullet.

#3 Emberblaque

Emberblaque

Commander

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,356 posts
  • LocationThonotosassa, FL

Posted 28 November 2013 - 02:52 PM

I implied as much in the other thread, but since a lot of talk about photons is about to ensue, it's not mass that causes some matter to occupy volume and other to not. It's not the fact that fermionic matter has mass, it's that it has a half-integer spin. Half-integer spin makes these particles fermions, and the Pauli exclusion principle states that no two fermions can occupy the same quantum state simultaneously, which means they can't occupy the same position.

• Moustachio86 likes this

#4 Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Necromancer Supreme, agig did 9/11 2015

• Authorized Playtester
  • 1,723 posts
  • Steam:Fleet Admiral agigabyte
  • LocationUNSC Skrubtester

Posted 28 November 2013 - 02:54 PM

Ill just start with hardlight since people had a lot to say about it. So ill indulge in some theoretical physics for fun.

What if "hardlight" is not really "light" but supercondensed photons with enough density to have substance? Understanding of course that, at this point the photons would no longer be photons but a version of them that had mass, but that may be the case since, for example, the suppressor fires "projectiles" made of what is thought to be hardlight, which performs like a bullet.

That makes sense, plus that would also mean that the description about ion-somethings coming from the suppressor is also wrong.

WE WILL RIP THEIR SKULLS FROM THEIR SPINES, AND TOSS THEM AWAY, LAUGHIN'!

Oh, I know what the ladies like... -Sarge Johnson

God have mercy on whatever alien race discovers this forum long after the human race destroys itself -Crisiss

Quotes from anywhere
Spoiler
[/quote]

#5 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 02:55 PM

It isnt even known whether hardlight is made of photons. It could be any highly energized particle, from an electron to an ion

#6 Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Necromancer Supreme, agig did 9/11 2015

• Authorized Playtester
  • 1,723 posts
  • Steam:Fleet Admiral agigabyte
  • LocationUNSC Skrubtester

Posted 28 November 2013 - 02:57 PM

Randomly changing discussion, how much power would a standard human slipspace drive from 2551 theoretically take? 

WE WILL RIP THEIR SKULLS FROM THEIR SPINES, AND TOSS THEM AWAY, LAUGHIN'!

Oh, I know what the ladies like... -Sarge Johnson

God have mercy on whatever alien race discovers this forum long after the human race destroys itself -Crisiss

Quotes from anywhere
Spoiler
[/quote]

#7 Metanator

Metanator

Crewman

• Authorized Playtester
  • 147 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 28 November 2013 - 03:03 PM

Randomly changing discussion, how much power would a standard human slipspace drive from 2551 theoretically take?

I think the answer you're looking for is a metric fuckton.

On a more serious note, it's hard to tell, seeing as we have no concept of the actual science behind it, although the fact that UNSC ships need fusion reactors large enough to blow up a halo to power them would suggest a stupidly huge amount.
  • Zero, MrChipps and Bornstellaris like this
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

#8 Moustachio86

Moustachio86

UniMinion

• Contributor
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 03:54 PM

I implied as much in the other thread, but since a lot of talk about photons is about to ensue, it's not mass that causes some matter to occupy volume and other to not. It's not the fact that fermionic matter has mass, it's that it has a half-integer spin. Half-integer spin makes these particles fermions, and the Pauli exclusion principle states that no two fermions can occupy the same quantum state simultaneously, which means they can't occupy the same position.

Ah, I forgot about spin, rookie mistake. Very clearly put, I had assumed until now it was a charge thing. 

I'm at this dodgy stage in my education, specifically regarding Physics (incidentally my chosen field thus far) where everything you think you know about Physics is an oversimplification and all the information I'm yet to gain relies on building it up, step by step. Everything builds on everything else. I've just applied for Physics at several Universities (among them Cambridge, fingers crossed) so come back to me in a few years and I may have something approaching an understanding which means I'm worthy of comment, until then I can't really claim to be more knowledgeable than anyone else! 

I remember Carter commented in Halo Reach that a slipspace drive is the most expensive (possibly complicated) piece of a equipment ever made by man. So one presumes that it's also going to take pretty much more energy than has ever been seen before. As Metanator said, it managed to blow a Halo in two, no mean feat.

Also, I love you Aussies. I love how you just confirmed my bigoted belief that you're incapable of quoting an amount without putting a swear word in front of it.  

• CanadaMan7, Emberblaque, Bornstellaris and 1 other like this

#9 Emberblaque

Emberblaque

Commander

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,356 posts
  • LocationThonotosassa, FL

Posted 28 November 2013 - 07:01 PM

Ah, I forgot about spin, rookie mistake. Very clearly put, I had assumed until now it was a charge thing.

It's best to compare it to angular momentum in classical mechanics, but there is no true classical equivalent to the concept of spin.

#10 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

Banned user who criticised terrorists

• Members
  • 3,455 posts
  • LocationANGLIA BRUV, HOME TO THE PRODIGY, NON CRIMINAL GANGSTAS AND FARMERS

Posted 29 November 2013 - 12:29 AM

I would say about 70-80% reactor power.

A UNSC reactor is probably more powerful than covenant ones, since they attached a Frigate to an assault carrier to increase power output.

I imagine a covenant slipspace drive is far more efficient, than a UNSC one.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#11 Aunt Gruntie

Aunt Gruntie

Sterilized Food Nipples!

• Contributor
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 01:30 AM

Wouldn't the Covenant ships need a ridiculous amount of power to energize their shields, weapons, and engines?

So based on this logic the Covenant would basically have nuclear reactors to the UNSC's steam engines.

Help me Sergeant I'm lost in Kurfluffle land!

#12 Metanator

Metanator

Crewman

• Authorized Playtester
  • 147 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 29 November 2013 - 02:44 AM

Also, I love you Aussies. I love how you just confirmed my bigoted belief that you're incapable of quoting an amount without putting a swear word in front of it.

It's not that we can't, it's that we prefer not to :P
  • Moustachio86 likes this
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

#13 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 07:38 AM

Wouldn't the Covenant ships need a ridiculous amount of power to energize their shields, weapons, and engines?

So based on this logic the Covenant would basically have nuclear reactors to the UNSC's steam engines.

They can't have much power left over.

I mean look at the SDV class heavy corvette, it doesnt have shields.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#14 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 07:45 AM

I mean look at the SDV class heavy corvette, it doesnt have shields.

Thats a design decision, the SDV deploys drop pods and fighters often, the shields would get in the way of those small craft and the ship would constantly have to drop its shields and bring them back up, which the reactor would not enjoy.

#15 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 02:09 PM

Thats a design decision, the SDV deploys drop pods and fighters often, the shields would get in the way of those small craft and the ship would constantly have to drop its shields and bring them back up, which the reactor would not enjoy.

The CAS doesn't seem to have that problem.

Look swarms of the buggers!

halo_4___prologue_by_halomika-d6f3q0q.jp

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#16 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 02:21 PM

The CAS doesn't seem to have that problem.

Look swarms of the buggers!

I guarantee you that thing had its shields down at the time. The CAS is also designed with ship to ship combat in mind, while the SDV is not

#17 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 03:01 PM

I guarantee you that thing had its shields down at the time. The CAS is also designed with ship to ship combat in mind, while the SDV is not

Why did they not simply flee when the Savannah appeared?

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#18 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 03:04 PM

Why did they not simply flee when the Savannah appeared?

if you didnt notice, the savannah got raped by the ardent prayer :P they knew they could win against the frigate

#19 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 03:20 PM

if you didnt notice, the savannah got raped by the ardent prayer :P they knew they could win against the frigate

Hardly, only because the Savannah could not use its MAC, otherwise it would have gutted the corvette through and through.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#20 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 03:33 PM

Hardly, only because the Savannah could not use its MAC, otherwise it would have gutted the corvette through and through.

ok, but you do realize this argument is about the ship having shields, and thats mainly due to the fact that, no matter what the ship does, shields will disrupt physical objects (such as drop pods, transports, and fighters) from passing through

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users