Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#42 Hakan

Hakan

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:34 PM

the main two reasons for the forerunners losing to the flood, was being weakend by the human-forerunner war which was caused by the humans destroying flood infested forerunner planets, and secondly the forerunners like i***ts underestimated the floods ability. But with the help of the composer it might of been possible to turn the tides due to the fact the promethean were created to combat the flood and they could not be infected and possibly persuaded to fight for the flood.

#43 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:20 AM

I really doubt you can kill it with anything. Forerunners used to create Slipspace fractures inside the infected ship, and some spores still managed to survive. Forerunners' weapons work by disintegrating biomass, while flamethrowers don't. 

Yes, but the CAS separated into two different sections; if the bow of the ship, containing the command deck, gets infected, the ship will be lost.

Accurate, but unlike with UNSC ships the CAS's command bridge is buried deep beneath the hull and shield's at the ship's center.  The Covenant Fleet at Instillation 05 successfully quarantined an already active Flood.  I think their capitals should be immune to flood capture, or at least far more resistant than they currently are.  I understand gameplay>canon, but the UNSC really shouldn't be better at combating the flood/ shields should offer some resistance to flood infection craft.

Also yes, the Flood defeated the Forerunner, but the Flood already had craft and likely billions of bodies because of their war with the Ancient Human Empire.  In the modern timeline they would have the advantages of neither.  At best there are a few isolated infestations leftover.

• SternuS likes this

#44 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

Banned user who criticised terrorists

• Members
  • 3,455 posts
  • LocationANGLIA BRUV, HOME TO THE PRODIGY, NON CRIMINAL GANGSTAS AND FARMERS

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:29 AM

Accurate, but unlike with UNSC ships the CAS's command bridge is buried deep beneath the hull and shield's at the ship's center.  The Covenant Fleet at Instillation 05 successfully quarantined an already active Flood.  I think their capitals should be immune to flood capture, or at least far more resistant than they currently are.  I understand gameplay>canon, but the UNSC really shouldn't be better at combating the flood/ shields should offer some resistance to flood infection craft.

Also yes, the Flood defeated the Forerunner, but the Flood already had craft and likely billions of bodies because of their war with the Ancient Human Empire.  In the modern timeline they would have the advantages of neither.  At best there are a few isolated infestations leftover.

The War between the flood and the forerunners was stalemated for 300 years, The flood only started to gain ground when Mendicant bias changed sides and destroyed/badly damaged/captured the forerunner capital. And in the end (tactically but not strategically) the forerunner won, only due to the halo array and offensive bias. Whats not to say the Humans (post 2553) will gain the same immunity/not wanting to infect humans that they did in the past?

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#45 D4RKST0RM99

D4RKST0RM99

There's a DarkStorm coming Mr. Canadaman...

• Authorized Playtester
  • 961 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:54 AM

The War between the flood and the forerunners was stalemated for 300 years, The flood only started to gain ground when Mendicant bias changed sides and destroyed/badly damaged/captured the forerunner capital. And in the end (tactically but not strategically) the forerunner won, only due to the halo array and offensive bias. Whats not to say the Humans (post 2553) will gain the same immunity/not wanting to infect humans that they did in the past?

Thought their was no immunity, the Didact asked the Timeless One (before its execution) directly and it said their was no immunity implying that the flood could choose not to infect. Course I may have read that wrong, need to re-read Promordium.

#46 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:55 AM

The flood is doesn't have the guidance it did before. As we saw in Halo 2 and 3. Besides humanity will have to prove itself again.
"Japan received freedom so hard it was atomizing." -VDNKh
Spoiler

#47 Moustachio86

Moustachio86

UniMinion

• Contributor
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:59 AM

I presume SPECTRE meant the kill-switch gene that Ancient Humanity developed which buggered the flood's advance? If I remember correctly that's how they nearly contained it. Not immunity per se but it meant the flood was hurt the more it infected. I doubt that'll make a come back as it involved sacrificing probably billions to the flood, which right after a genocide isn't going to be popular.

Also, I presume another Gravemind wouldn't be far off if the flood returned. Depending on how you look at, they nearly had one in CE and that was just with one human ship and a few covenant ones. 

#48 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • Steam:SternuS
  • LocationItaly

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:59 AM

Agreed. High resistance is different from immunity, and that's all what I wanted to say.

• Lord Stark likes this

c048b5cb018d634cb3a0d9bd3617eb50-d547q01

Peter Jackson, 27/07/2013: 1.08 am. A 20 hour day ... 15 years of Tolkien ... 771 days of shooting ...

"We would be fools to pursue the impossible simply because you believe the achievable is flawed" - Ugin

#49 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:05 AM

I can tell you right now Covenant caps won't be immune to capture. That would be so game-breakingly unbalanced it wouldn't fly for a second.
The UNSC isn't better at combating the Flood at all - it's all about the type of ship you use. In fact, the Covenant is arguably more effective defensively, since their starbases are much more powerful than the Anchors in combat, and they don't rely so much on static, easily infected defenses.
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

#50 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:19 AM

I can tell you right now Covenant caps won't be immune to capture. That would be so game-breakingly unbalanced it wouldn't fly for a second.
The UNSC isn't better at combating the Flood at all - it's all about the type of ship you use. In fact, the Covenant is arguably more effective defensively, since their starbases are much more powerful than the Anchors in combat, and they don't rely so much on static, easily infected defenses.

They should at least be highly resistant.  WAY more than UNSC caps.  Also since when was the Flood about balance?  I always thought the purpose of the Flood was to bring in a canon depiction of this frightening foe.  Sure if I have 100 pickets the Covenant will be better at fighting the Flood, but a hundred pickets will then get curbstomped by the UNSC.  I am just saying considering in canon the Sangheili have been extremely effective with quarantining the Flood, they should be better at it than they currently are.  

#51 Moustachio86

Moustachio86

UniMinion

• Contributor
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:43 AM

The balance he mentions would favour the covenant. You could send in a smallish fleet of Salvations to the Flood world and damn near wipe them out. Also, I'm still not sure if I agree that the Covenant were particularly good at combating the flood. The Elites lost their entire fleet (of thousands) and High Charity got completely wiped out. 

Also, I don't think that 'resistant' is really a thing with the current flood mechanics. You're either immune or you're vulnerable. Last I checked it was basically a check for antimatter, that's why you'll notice sentinels have no antimatter pool (may be months out of date). The flood capture ability pretty much treats everything equally so resistance is probably a bit difficult. 

#52 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:14 PM

The balance he mentions would favour the covenant. You could send in a smallish fleet of Salvations to the Flood world and damn near wipe them out. Also, I'm still not sure if I agree that the Covenant were particularly good at combating the flood. The Elites lost their entire fleet (of thousands) and High Charity got completely wiped out. 

Also, I don't think that 'resistant' is really a thing with the current flood mechanics. You're either immune or you're vulnerable. Last I checked it was basically a check for antimatter, that's why you'll notice sentinels have no antimatter pool (may be months out of date). The flood capture ability pretty much treats everything equally so resistance is probably a bit difficult.

Pretty much this exactly.

Resistance isn't possible in Sins' mechanics - you can be vulnerable or you can't. We could work some weird buff logic in, but you'd still have to consider the question of balance, and in a match where Flood are on, having invulnerable caps is an instant WIN button. Plus, like Moustachio said - I don't think you're entirely right about how good they are at containment... and I seriously doubt you're going to change the dev team's mind on this so... don't try...

And also, by the same token, 100 Stalwarts are good at fighting the Flood, but they'll get curbstomped by a small few Covenant cruisers... That's how rock-paper-scissors-plasma-MAC-parasite works
#define true false

Spoiler

#53 Moustachio86

Moustachio86

UniMinion

• Contributor
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:19 PM

That's how rock-paper-scissors-plasma-MAC-parasite works.

Why is this not a thing. I want this to be a thing. Can this be a thing? 

• sloosecannon and Aunt Gruntie like this

#54 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:22 PM

Why is this not a thing. I want this to be a thing. Can this be a thing?

rock>scissors
scissors>paper
paper>rock
rock>plasma>paper,scissors
... (too lazy to finish) ...
parasite>everything other than MAC, 2 player
parasite>everything, 3 player, one player not MAC
parasite?????parasite
#define true false

Spoiler

#55 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

Banned user who criticised terrorists

• Members
  • 3,455 posts
  • LocationANGLIA BRUV, HOME TO THE PRODIGY, NON CRIMINAL GANGSTAS AND FARMERS

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:18 PM

rock>scissors
scissors>paper
paper>rock
parasite?????parasite

You're doing that thing again... Stop it! Stop it this instant!

• sloosecannon likes this

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#56 Aunt Gruntie

Aunt Gruntie

Sterilized Food Nipples!

• Contributor
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:53 PM

rock>scissors
scissors>paper
paper>rock
parasite?????parasite

Step 22: Profit!!!!

• sloosecannon likes this

Help me Sergeant I'm lost in Kurfluffle land!

#57 Rovert10

Rovert10

Balance Team

• Mod Staff
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:08 PM

Last time I checked. The UNSC rolfstomps the Flood. It's harder to fight the Flood as the Covenant.

Why are you playing defensively against the Flood again? Also UNSC Mines kick the flood in as well if you really wanted to do defensive.

• Lord Stark likes this

#58 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:07 PM

Thel 'Vadam: "My brothers, I fear you bring bad news."
Sangheili Major: "High Charity has fallen, become a dreaded hive!"
Thel 'Vadam: "And the fleet? Has quarantine been broken?"
Sangheili Major: "A single ship broke through our line, and we gave chase."
Thel 'Vadam: "But we had a fleet of hundreds!"
Sangheili Major: "Alas brother, the Flood... It has evolved!"

"The Shipmaster took a portion of his fleet to pursue the battlecruiser."

The Sangheili had a fleet of hundreds and its still quite intact, but they were busy quarantining Instillation 05.  They didn't have time to fight the Brute Fleet, glass Delta Halo, and destroy High Charity.  They saw that the dreadnought left, most probably assumed it was incapable of a slipspace jump and elected to prioritze targets rather than waste ships glassing High Charity.

The fact that the Sangheili fought and won a battle of the Civil War AND glassed Delta Halo all with only one flood ship breaking their lines.  I think they did pretty well.

#59 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:32 PM

Last time I checked. The UNSC rolfstomps the Flood. It's harder to fight the Flood as the Covenant.
Why are you playing defensively against the Flood again? Also UNSC Mines kick the flood in as well if you really wanted to do defensive.

That would be Rovert style gameplay lol...
Most people play defensively against the flood, either by choice or by OHGODNOTNOW
  • Moustachio86 likes this
#define true false

Spoiler

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users